Sloane deserves credit injury or not most players would have choked this match - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 03:54 AM   #1
country flag Morrissey

Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold
Sloane deserves credit injury or not most players would have choked this match

I think Serena was indeed injured in the second set when she hurt her back and Sloane almost let Serena back into the second set but managed to win it and push it to a third set. However, in the third set, I got to give Sloane Stephens credit most players would have choked against Serena even though she is injured. When Serena broke Sloane for 4-3 in the third I thought the match was over. So credit to Sloane for fighting and not giving up like most players would have done. I did not expect this, Sloane did an amazing job to drive the ball, make Serena run and earned this victory. Well done Sloane she beat the best female tennis player of all time and a great champion. I hope this victory gives Sloane a lot of confidence. This girl is really good she is incredibly powerful and very quick.
Morrissey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 04:04 AM   #2
country flag Mattographer
TF's Resident Photographer

Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sloane deserves credit injury or not most players would have choked this match

Edina Gallovits-Hall, take a note!

Listen to the silence. That's who I am and what I like.
Mattographer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 04:09 AM   #3
country flag Roookie

Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sloane deserves credit injury or not most players would have choked this match

Absolutely...and you have to take into account that she was playing for a SF spot on a Gran Slam for the first time in her career and playing her idol/mentor. She really deserves credit because Serena despite not being 100% did not give her the match she fought for it.
Roookie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 04:10 AM   #4
country flag Patrick345

Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roookie View Post
Absolutely...and you have to take into account that she was playing for a SF spot on a Gran Slam for the first time in her career and playing her idol/mentor. She really deserves credit because Serena despite not being 100% did not give her the match she fought for it.
I agree completely.
Quiet. 24 SLAMS.
Patrick345 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 04:11 AM   #5
country flag Temperenka
V-I-K-A

Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute

Yes- perfect example: Wimbledon (2007?) one-legged Serena def. Hantuchova

It must be so hard to focus when your opponent seems injured. Add onto that the pressure of making a slam SF... Sloane will be a mental giant throughout her career.
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 04:12 AM   #6
country flag KournikovaFan91
*Sesil*

KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute

Hantuchova I remember watching and was so mad at Dani.

Léigh anois go cúramach ar do scrúdpháipéar na treoracha agus na ceisteanna a gahbann le cuid A
KournikovaFan91 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 04:13 AM   #7
country flag aguy9797

aguy9797 has much to be proud of aguy9797 has much to be proud of aguy9797 has much to be proud of aguy9797 has much to be proud of aguy9797 has much to be proud of aguy9797 has much to be proud of aguy9797 has much to be proud of aguy9797 has much to be proud of aguy9797 has much to be proud of aguy9797 has much to be proud of aguy9797 has much to be proud of

very disrespectful of the youngster to beat her idol/mentor like that
Caro W
Petko

Queen Viktoria
aguy9797 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 04:14 AM   #8
country flag StoneRose

StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute

She almost choked away the second. I saw her play last year and wasn't impressed. She has improved a lot.
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 04:25 AM   #9
AUSBOY

AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future

She got lucky! Serena's back injury meant her 1st serve was much slower and easier to break. A fully fit Serena would've won this match in straight sets.
AUSBOY is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 04:26 AM   #10
country flag pancake

pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute

Oh well, it took Sharapova and Henin to beat an injured Serena in 3 sets too. '04 YEC final and '07 Wimbledon QF, she's TOUGH to beat even when she's injured.
pancake is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 04:28 AM   #11
country flag mboyle

mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSBOY View Post
She got lucky! Serena's back injury meant her 1st serve was much slower and easier to break. A fully fit Serena would've won this match in straight sets.
Let's not forget Stephens was up 4-3, 0-30 when Serena got injured...very plausible Sloane would have won a set regardless...
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 04:30 AM   #12
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute

Ofcourse Sloane deserved credit captain obvious.

And that's not only because this match was a completed three-set grand slam contest.
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 04:51 AM   #13
country flag Foxy

Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute Foxy has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Sloane!!!

You played a great match and you used an all court game and you won. I for one thought you were overrated, but after seeing all of your arsenal tonight, I don't thinks so.

Sloane played a great game and she's young and still learning how to play and keep focus and choose the best shot selection; and most of all she's learning how to be mentally tough.

Serena didn't give her the match because in the third set that medicine kicked in and Serena started hitting some hard serves, but Sloane was able to get them back and neutralize Serena's power. Once she did that she easily ran her from side to side.

Good win Sloane, now don't celebrate because you haven't won the title. Calm down and refocus on your match with Vika. Go Sloane
Foxy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 05:19 AM   #14
country flag tkutsaar

tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute

That Serena was injured is a convenient excuse for Serena fans to explain away the rare loss. As I understood it, the injury was simply back spasms that was controlled by pain killers. Admittedly the pain killers took some time to take effect. From my viewpoint and confirmed by the announcers the pain killers would have fully numbed the pain at the very latest by the start of the fifth game in the third set. Professional athletes play through pain like this all the time; it is an occupational hazard.

There is no denying by the 6th game of the third set if not before Serena was playing at her normal skill level. And she did break Sloane’s serve at the seventh game to go ahead 4-3. Recalling the next three games all won by Sloane and hence the match, I cannot remember Serena losing any point that you can suggest was due to the injury. She was simply outplayed.

There is no asterisk to this match. Sloane was full value for this upset win.
tkutsaar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 06:35 AM   #15
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSBOY View Post
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote