"Li Na is renowned for her touch and point construction" - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 21st, 2013, 09:04 PM   #31
country flag adner

adner has a reputation beyond repute adner has a reputation beyond repute adner has a reputation beyond repute adner has a reputation beyond repute adner has a reputation beyond repute adner has a reputation beyond repute adner has a reputation beyond repute adner has a reputation beyond repute adner has a reputation beyond repute adner has a reputation beyond repute adner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: "Li Na is renowned for her touch and point construction"

Actually, Aga keeps saying that Li returns a lot of balls and is very consistent ball striker. Maybe we see a different picture through TV?
adner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 21st, 2013, 10:02 PM   #32
country flag Craig.
MA5HA

Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute

When Li's playing well, she constructs points beautifully.
Craig. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 10:14 PM   #33
country flag timafi

timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute

Sui have a seat kid
timafi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 10:16 PM   #34
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH both wings View Post
There is some (little) truth in that statement. Li's success is about point construction, not pure power. "Touch" however is not the first term coming to mind. She is playing 31K tension strings, heaviest next to Ljubicic and still spraying like a sprinkler.
Yup. Ironic that TF embarrass themselves again by mocking this person for making a very accurate statement (even if, by the looks of his other comments, he made that one accurate statement by accident).

It really amazes me that people who watch so much tennis can still be under the impression that Li is an uber-ballbasher. Do they really watch her matches and genuinely think that she's hitting shots as hard as Kvitova for example does?

Last edited by dsanders06 : Jan 21st, 2013 at 10:22 PM.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 10:34 PM   #35
country flag Patrick345

Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
Yup. Ironic that TF embarrass themselves again by mocking this person for making a very accurate statement (even if, by the looks of his other comments, he made that one accurate statement by accident).

It really amazes me that people who watch so much tennis can still be under the impression that Li is an uber-ballbasher. Do they really watch her matches and genuinely think that she's hitting shots as hard as Kvitova for example does?
Letīs see what you have to say about that in three hours.

You donīt need to be a mad ballbasher to have average point construction. For example take her matches against Radwanska last year. She destroyed Radwanska, but she didnīt hit with much margin for error. Itīs not that she strategically outplayed Radwanska with a bullet-proof gameplan. She just couldnīt miss and it was breathtaking to watch. She absolutely destroyed Radwanska, but if she is slightly off the exact same strategy results in a loss like it did in Sydney. If Na Li had great point construction and consistency in her hitting, sheīd rape Radwanska every time. If Na Li plays 80% she loses to Radwanska. If Azarenka plays 80% she still wins.
Quiet. 24 SLAMS.
Patrick345 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 10:37 PM   #36
country flag JarkaFish
Multiform

JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick345 View Post

You donīt need to be a mad ballbasher to have average point construction. For example take her matches against Radwanska last year. She destroyed Radwanska, but she didnīt hit with much margin for error. Itīs not that she strategically outplayed Radwanska with a bullet-proof gameplan. She just couldnīt miss and it was breathtaking to watch. She absolutely destroyed Radwanska, but if she is slightly off the exact same strategy results in a loss like it did in Sydney. If Na Li had great point construction and consistency in her hitting, sheīd rape Radwanska every time. If Na Li plays 80% she loses to Radwanska. If Azarenka plays 80% she still wins.
Agatha was unwell and not in form in any of those matches.

JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 10:44 PM   #37
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I don't actually disagree with MOST of this, there's no denying that Li is inconsistent. But the point is, people on this board often make the mistake of thinking a player's consistency is directly related to how aggressive they are, when that is not necessarily the case at all -- Clijsters is living proof of that, in her second career there was a huge gulf between her best form and her worst form, but no-one would describe her as an out-and-out first-strike ballbasher.

Where I disagree with you is on your description of her beatdown wins over Radwanska last year. In those wins, Na WAS generally winning the points in medium-length rallies (many went to 8+ shots), and she generally was constructing the point, outmanouevring Radwanska, and going for the winner only when Radwanska was out of position and Na had room to smack away a down-the-line backhand or something. She definitely wasn't looking for a winner right from the first shot of a rally, typically. Imo, the reason for her shitfests is more because her footwork and concentration are liable to go AWOL, rather than her strokes or her strategy being incredibly aggressive.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 11:44 PM   #38
Serenita

Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute

I love Na but this too much....

Serenita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 12:45 AM   #39
country flag darrinbaker00
Serena's #1 Hater

darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenis Srbija View Post
She/he has a point. You actually don't.
Actually, "pov" does have a point, but when he wears a hat, you can't see it.
"He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." -- Proverbs 18:22

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." -- Herb Brooks

"A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali
darrinbaker00 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 12:51 AM   #40
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

As weak as Aga appears, Li Na could still self-destruct and let Aga in the match

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 01:06 AM   #41
country flag Boxuan

Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of

Quote:
The German ES commentator said something similar during the Görges match, that Na Li is not the most powerful, but known for her consistency. I guess thatīs what watching too much Görges, Lisicki and Barthel can do to you. Na Li suddenly looks consistent and underpowered.
Can you blame him? VS Goerges is the only match so far Na has less UEs than her opponent.

·┏┻━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓
┏┛李娜┣┫·科娃┣┫·郑洁┣┫·伊万┣┫·彭帅┣┫·杨科┃
┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛
Boxuan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 01:14 AM   #42
country flag n1_and_uh_noone

n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
I don't actually disagree with MOST of this, there's no denying that Li is inconsistent. But the point is, people on this board often make the mistake of thinking a player's consistency is directly related to how aggressive they are, when that is not necessarily the case at all -- Clijsters is living proof of that, in her second career there was a huge gulf between her best form and her worst form, but no-one would describe her as an out-and-out first-strike ballbasher.

Where I disagree with you is on your description of her beatdown wins over Radwanska last year. In those wins, Na WAS generally winning the points in medium-length rallies (many went to 8+ shots), and she generally was constructing the point, outmanouevring Radwanska, and going for the winner only when Radwanska was out of position and Na had room to smack away a down-the-line backhand or something. She definitely wasn't looking for a winner right from the first shot of a rally, typically. Imo, the reason for her shitfests is more because her footwork and concentration are liable to go AWOL, rather than her strokes or her strategy being incredibly aggressive.
Li Na is considered a ballbasher because she hits clean winners but people overlook the reasons for this. It is not just sheer pace like Sharapova or a Williams. I have seen lots of matches where the stats of groundstroke speeds showed Li's shots were consistently 5-10 MPH slower than the heavier hitter. However, she takes the ball early and hits flat, 2 things that instantly cut down recovery time.

Concentration is her liability, because IMO she has great footwork and timing. However, she often has a more aggressive mindset than she needs to end points, her average rally ball is already a bit more effective than many other players for the reasons I stated above. She showed in many rallies today that she can rally with Agatha till the cows come home and still strike an easy winner (of course if Agatha used her renowned thinking powers, she would see through the strategy and yank Li out of position, which is when she pretends nothing happened and go for her shots anyway).
n1_and_uh_noone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote