Well, the SCOTUS is sending them out - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 04:27 PM   #1
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute
Well, the SCOTUS is sending them out

WASHINGTON (AP) — A sharply divided Supreme Court on Monday said police can routinely take DNA from people they arrest, equating a DNA cheek swab to other common jailhouse procedures like fingerprinting.
"Taking and analyzing a cheek swab of the arrestee DNA is, like fingerprinting and photographing, a legitimate police booking procedure that is reasonable under the Fourth Amendment," Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote for the court's five-justice majority.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/...NA-Collection/

But the high court's decision reverses that ruling and reinstates King's rape conviction, which came after police took his DNA during an unrelated arrest. Kennedy wrote the decision, and was joined by Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas and Stephen Breyer. Scalia was joined in his dissent by Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan.

I guess I never expected Scalia and the three women justices to be on the same side of an issue.

The world will ask you who you are, and if you don't know, they will tell you.
HippityHop is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 04:43 PM   #2
country flag Londoner

Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Well, the SCOTUS is sending them out

I don't know the case, but when it comes to collecting DNA I'm all for it. If you've nothing to hide and all that....
Londoner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 08:26 PM   #3
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

That is a surprising move by Scalia. But I didn't follow this case. Maybe this is an extremely narrow decision.

I don't know how it isn't an illegal search and seizure. I suppose I should read up on it. I should probably read Scalia's dissent. Even a broken clock is right twice a day?
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 11:13 PM   #4
country flag KarlyM*

KarlyM* is a splendid one to behold KarlyM* is a splendid one to behold KarlyM* is a splendid one to behold KarlyM* is a splendid one to behold KarlyM* is a splendid one to behold KarlyM* is a splendid one to behold KarlyM* is a splendid one to behold KarlyM* is a splendid one to behold KarlyM* is a splendid one to behold KarlyM* is a splendid one to behold KarlyM* is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippityHop View Post
I guess I never expected Scalia and the three women justices to be on the same side of an issue.
There was a SCOTUS ruling in March that upheld a lower court ruling that police couldn't use drug-sniffing dogs outside a home without a warrant. The justices voting in the majority were Scalia, Thomas, Ginsburg, Sotomayor, and Kagan.
KarlyM* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 11:22 PM   #5
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlyM* View Post
There was a SCOTUS ruling in March that upheld a lower court ruling that police couldn't use drug-sniffing dogs outside a home without a warrant. The justices voting in the majority were Scalia, Thomas, Ginsburg, Sotomayor, and Kagan.
Interesting indeed.

The world will ask you who you are, and if you don't know, they will tell you.
HippityHop is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 01:20 AM   #6
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlyM* View Post

The other common denominator in these 4th Amendment cases (besides Scalia going with "the girls") was Stephen Breyer voting with the conservatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippityHop View Post

Don't worry, in the Political Thread the liberal clique will still call "Tony from Queens" a racist who wants to take the vote away from black Americans.
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 07:54 AM   #7
country flag Expat

Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Scalia has always been the biggest defender of 4th amendment protections so I don't know what's so surprising here.