Serena's Next "Epic, Close Match" Opponent? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: When and who will provide it?

Azarenka; Aus Open 9 15.00%
Azarenka; After Aus Open 2 3.33%
Kuznetsova; Aus Open 7 11.67%
Stephens; Aus Open 2 3.33%
Sharapova; Aus Open 19 31.67%
Sharapova; After Aus Open 3 5.00%
Radwanska; Aus Open 6 10.00%
Radwanska; After Aus Open 4 6.67%
Na Li; Aus Open 4 6.67%
Na Li; After Aus Open 4 6.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 21st, 2013, 02:57 PM   #16
country flag alexjones

alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold alexjones is a splendid one to behold
Re: Serena's Next "Epic, Close Match" Opponent?

with the way she's playing I think sharapova might have a shot.
alexjones is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 21st, 2013, 03:28 PM   #17
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdterp01 View Post
Did u really put Sharapova as an option? I'd pick any of those BUT Sharapova to even get a set off Serena going forward. Yes, even Kuzzy.
Ouch. Unfortunately the record supports that and probably will until Sharapova gets over her mental block with Williams. I hope she does that post haste. I don't think she'd win much but she definitely has the ability to give Williams a tough match.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 03:57 PM   #18
country flag C-Woz-A-Rod

C-Woz-A-Rod is a splendid one to behold C-Woz-A-Rod is a splendid one to behold C-Woz-A-Rod is a splendid one to behold C-Woz-A-Rod is a splendid one to behold C-Woz-A-Rod is a splendid one to behold C-Woz-A-Rod is a splendid one to behold C-Woz-A-Rod is a splendid one to behold C-Woz-A-Rod is a splendid one to behold C-Woz-A-Rod is a splendid one to behold C-Woz-A-Rod is a splendid one to behold C-Woz-A-Rod is a splendid one to behold

Where is the Virginie Razzano option?
C-Woz-A-Rod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 06:12 PM   #19
country flag TennisAddict84

TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold TennisAddict84 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin_Calling View Post
Sveta would be the worst matchup for Serena in Australia, but I don't think she will get to play her..
yeah, I agree...out of all the players remaining, kuzzy would give Serena the most trouble I think...only problem is that sveta can be such a head case on the court
TennisAddict84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 06:22 PM   #20
country flag Pie800

Pie800 has a brilliant future Pie800 has a brilliant future Pie800 has a brilliant future Pie800 has a brilliant future Pie800 has a brilliant future Pie800 has a brilliant future Pie800 has a brilliant future Pie800 has a brilliant future Pie800 has a brilliant future Pie800 has a brilliant future Pie800 has a brilliant future

You missed out some slam epics (1999 USO, 2003 AO) with Clijsters. Just sayin' Azarenka, Kuznetsova, Sharapova all have the potential to win against her as they are all serious power players and previous slam winners. It will take some serious magic for Radwanska to dig out the win. And no, I am not saying you necessarily need power to win, but against Serena at the Australian Open, you definitely require a good deal of it.

Lindsay DAVENPORT Elena DEMENTIEVA
Pie800 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 06:28 PM   #21
country flag JoPova

JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie800 View Post
You missed out some slam epics (1999 USO, 2003 AO) with Clijsters. Just sayin' Azarenka, Kuznetsova, Sharapova all have the potential to win against her as they are all serious power players and previous slam winners. It will take some serious magic for Radwanska to dig out the win. And no, I am not saying you necessarily need power to win, but against Serena at the Australian Open, you definitely require a good deal of it.
You can't beat Serena if you can't hold your serve. Vika, Maria and Sveta need to break their opponents a couple of times to win matches, since they know they'll get broken at least once. Serena won't allow them to break her. She's untouchable on serve and improving speed/placement every day! I don't see how one of these girls could trouble her!

Novak Djokovic Roger Federer Tomas Berdych Juan Martin Del Potro Richard Gasquet
JoPova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 06:45 PM   #22
country flag Pie800

Pie800 has a brilliant future Pie800 has a brilliant future Pie800 has a brilliant future Pie800 has a brilliant future Pie800 has a brilliant future Pie800 has a brilliant future Pie800 has a brilliant future Pie800 has a brilliant future Pie800 has a brilliant future Pie800 has a brilliant future Pie800 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoPova View Post
You can't beat Serena if you can't hold your serve. Vika, Maria and Sveta need to break their opponents a couple of times to win matches, since they know they'll get broken at least once. Serena won't allow them to break her. She's untouchable on serve and improving speed/placement every day! I don't see how one of these girls could trouble her!
Yeah, well that depends.. Sharapova seems to be playing unbelievably well lately, and she'll definitely need to maintain that to win against Serena. I say Azarenka because of that bold performance in the USO final - she served for it remember? Azarenka always digs and finds a way to raise her level or hamper her opponent - plus she's an incredible returner. Kuznetsova was a stretch really She'll have to play phenomenally well to even stand a chance. And that form that beat Wozniacki won't cut it.

Old Jan 21st, 2013, 07:01 PM   #23
country flag JoPova

JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie800 View Post
Yeah, well that depends.. Sharapova seems to be playing unbelievably well lately, and she'll definitely need to maintain that to win against Serena. I say Azarenka because of that bold performance in the USO final - she served for it remember? Azarenka always digs and finds a way to raise her level or hamper her opponent - plus she's an incredible returner. Kuznetsova was a stretch really She'll have to play phenomenally well to even stand a chance. And that form that beat Wozniacki won't cut it.
Maria has been really solid off the ground, but her serve hasn't been impressive. That's why I don't think she stands much of a chance. If Vika serves well and is able to put some pressure on Serena's serve, she stands a chance. But they both have to play unbelievably well to trouble her. Peak Na has a chance in my opinion!

Novak Djokovic Roger Federer Tomas Berdych Juan Martin Del Potro Richard Gasquet
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 07:32 PM   #24
country flag lenas warriors

lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute

Zakopalova at some MM event
Amaze-arenka, Kvitty-GOAT and Halep
Hantuchova, Petrova, Zvonareva, Goerges, Koukalova, The Other Czechs, Halep, Keys, Townsend, Paszek
Li, Sharapova, Pavlyuchenkova, Makarova, The Other Russians, Kerber, Kanepi, Shvedova, Martic, Watson, Robson, Kimiko, Barthel, Erakovic
lenas warriors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 07:40 PM   #25
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemWilliamsGulls View Post
Azerenka really is the only person that is giving Serena competition....
what competition? 11-1 is not a competition.... Serena played awful at US Open and still won, now she plays excellent, do you expect any competition? Aza may win just a few games more than Kirilenko

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

32 WTA titles , including 12 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 07:53 PM   #26
country flag DemWilliamsGulls

DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
what competition? 11-1 is not a competition.... Serena played awful at US Open and still won, now she plays excellent, do you expect any competition? Aza may win just a few games more than Kirilenko
I mean ...Serena is kicking her ass in head to heads...but she does struggle sometimes to beat her....lol she almost lost the US open...but...that just proves how bad the queen is. I'm just saying...its always a good match and sometimes its close and in some cases 3 setters...not lop sided like the Sharapova matches.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 09:39 PM   #27
country flag Pie800

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoPova View Post
Maria has been really solid off the ground, but her serve hasn't been impressive. That's why I don't think she stands much of a chance. If Vika serves well and is able to put some pressure on Serena's serve, she stands a chance. But they both have to play unbelievably well to trouble her. Peak Na has a chance in my opinion!
Yes, but if Maria can win enough off the ground, which judging by recent form, she will, I still think she's fair game. So long as she dominates most of the rallies, she'll have her chances. Azarenka obviously has the return and the ground game to trouble Serena (as evidenced in the past). Will be very interesting to see them match up again.

Old Jan 21st, 2013, 09:41 PM   #28
country flag JeMa

JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of

I think if Maria and Serena make it to the final. Maria will get a set off Serena. I think it will be the first set and then Serena will come back in the second and take the match in 3.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 09:46 PM   #29
country flag JoPova

I hope you're right! I'd love to see a competitive final, no matter who's involved in it!

Old Jan 21st, 2013, 09:48 PM   #30
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemWilliamsGulls View Post
I mean ...Serena is kicking her ass in head to heads...but she does struggle sometimes to beat her....lol she almost lost the US open...but...that just proves how bad the queen is. I'm just saying...its always a good match and sometimes its close and in some cases 3 setters...not lop sided like the Sharapova matches.
Serena playing awful, having not more than 55% first serve in vs any pusher in their best form from the list

1) Azarenka
2) Radwanska
3) Kerber
4) Woznaicki

= competitive match .....

But the problem is that Serena should be rusty , otherwise it will be a beatdown of a pusher.
Serena doesn't let herself t play that bad vs her rivals as she can allow herself vs pushers.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeMa View Post
I think if Maria and Serena make it to the final. Maria will get a set off Serena. I think it will be the first set and then Serena will come back in the second and take the match in 3.
I don't feel that anyone has a real chance vs Serena. If Serena is focused and serves well (more than possible because of her form at AO this year) any player will struggle to even reach a BP on Serena's Serve , which of course will be saved by 120mph first serve... I don't see that it's poosible to beat Serena with any other score than 7-6 7-6 , and to do so you should be a servebot at least for one day to manage to hold serve the whole match...

At YEC Martha played preety good and tried to keep up with Serena.... She managed to do it for a while until she made a gift with DF + some terrific ROS from Serena = it was over.... Serena got this mental edge and didn't drop it till GSM

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

32 WTA titles , including 12 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player

Last edited by NashaMasha : Jan 21st, 2013 at 09:59 PM.
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote