[WTA SAVED!] AO R4: Stephens d. Jovanovski 61 36 75 - Page 9 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 21st, 2013, 07:41 AM   #121
country flag lupojohn
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future
Re: [WTA SAVED!] AO R4: Stephens d. Jovanovski 61 46 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by azinna View Post

Meanwhile, what was that noise? First time in three decades of watching tennis that I'd recommend a sanction.

Either you're living in a cave or you don't watch Vika or Maria play.
lupojohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 21st, 2013, 07:43 AM   #122
country flag lupojohn
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future
Re: [WTA SAVED!] AO R4: Stephens d. Jovanovski 61 36 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
Terrible and undeserved. Disgusting either of them had a chance to be in a GS QF. Disgusting.

I wonder who your favorite player is cause you always dump on Sloane and Madison(just for s point of reference). Can you give them credit for hitting some great shots at times? And remember, they're 21 and 19.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 07:48 AM   #123
country flag lupojohn
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilas. View Post
Her serve is so bad
Much like the rest of her game, it just needs practice and improvement over time.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 07:49 AM   #124
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitten View Post
It's easy for a lot of people to play freely against Serena.

As I have said before, aggressive instincts and the way a player applies their skills to a match cannot be altered majorly. Either you feel comfortable going for it or you don't.

Stephens is content to rely on her movement and footspeed when things get too competitive, and that's telling.
My thoughts exactly. I think the Monfils comparisons are quite apt. She does have power and hits a heavy ball, but in some ways, a player's natural instincts are more important than their skillset, and it seems pretty clear Stephens's instincts are defensive and high-%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolás89 View Post
Exactly. A few years back Pome would just stay like 5 foot behind the baseline retrieve and counter when possible, now she is the epitome of brainless ballbashing. She is like the living proof of changing radically a tennis player style of play.

Point aside, Caro tends to play more aggressively under pressure, Sloane does the exact opposite.
Not sure if serious
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 07:56 AM   #125
country flag lupojohn
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankqq View Post
I know nothing about Jovanovski's personality but damn her scream/grunt is annoying.
She's a very nice, polite, sweet girl. The grunt just takes a little adjusting to.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 08:07 AM   #126
country flag Igorche

Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Todd View Post
Sloane has made it to the round of 16 of three of four majors (and 3rd round of Wimbledon) before the age of 20.

I don't think we'll be seeing Jovanovski in the latter stages of majors as much, and we certainly haven't so far. Correct me if I'm wrong.

As for Petra, don't even get me started. I was one of her biggest flag-wavers when she announced herself by beating Venus in Memphis many years back. Petra shoud have had more than one major by now but she is just a mess. Hopefully she will get it back together and win big tournaments again. As opposed to Lucie and Nadia who both have flat out never delivered on their promise, especially at majors.
This is actually her second round of 16 (or better) result at GS, and at these tournaments from seven players who she beat highest ranked was 38th on wta. When she beat some real player on GS then you tell something. Until then she will just be a girl who had luck with the draw.
Bojana Jovanovski/Jelena Janković/Ana Ivanović/Vesna Dolonc/Aleksandra Krunić/Jovana Jakšić/Ivana Jorović/Doroteja Erić/Katarina Jokić/Nina Stojanović/Dejana Radanović/Nikolina Jović/Natalija Kostić/Tamara Čurović/Jelena Dokić/Kristina Mladenović/Andrea Petković
Igorche is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 08:15 AM   #127
Svetlana)))

Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana))) has a reputation beyond repute

I'm starting to doubt some of the early promise I saw in Stephens. She has the tools to dictate a match but so often is comfortable to rally and hit innocuous forehand topspin shots. Hope that's just a sign of inexperience and not someone who is defence-oriented.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 08:27 AM   #128
country flag pancake

pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igorche View Post
This is actually her second round of 16 (or better) result at GS, and at these tournaments from seven players who she beat highest ranked was 38th on wta. When she beat some real player on GS then you tell something. Until then she will just be a girl who had luck with the draw.
So I guess the "better" player in the match is not a real tennis player after all. You are insulting not only her but all the other players she beat, and those players work very hard to be in the main draw of the tournament.
pancake is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 08:40 AM   #129
country flag olivero

olivero has a reputation beyond repute olivero has a reputation beyond repute olivero has a reputation beyond repute olivero has a reputation beyond repute olivero has a reputation beyond repute olivero has a reputation beyond repute olivero has a reputation beyond repute olivero has a reputation beyond repute olivero has a reputation beyond repute olivero has a reputation beyond repute olivero has a reputation beyond repute

well done Sloane! Very happy for her.
And Lepchenko is out of top 20
olivero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 09:22 AM   #130
country flag Igorche

Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute Igorche has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
So I guess the "better" player in the match is not a real tennis player after all. You are insulting not only her but all the other players she beat, and those players work very hard to be in the main draw of the tournament.
It is interesting that when Aga and Caro only returns the ball in the court and waiting for errors from opponents they does not deserve to win and to have high ranking, but in this case not. Bojana at least have the courage to chase lines and Stephens just went right and left and returning in court and sometimes she dared to attack.

And I do not see anything insulting in my comment in contrast to comments of other people on this forum. Even in this thread there is several insulting comments addressed to Bojana but of course you did not see them, You only see what you want to see and understand in way you want to understand.
Bojana Jovanovski/Jelena Janković/Ana Ivanović/Vesna Dolonc/Aleksandra Krunić/Jovana Jakšić/Ivana Jorović/Doroteja Erić/Katarina Jokić/Nina Stojanović/Dejana Radanović/Nikolina Jović/Natalija Kostić/Tamara Čurović/Jelena Dokić/Kristina Mladenović/Andrea Petković
Igorche is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 09:35 AM   #131
country flag pancake

pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igorche View Post
It is interesting that when Aga and Caro only returns the ball in the court and waiting for errors from opponents they does not deserve to win and to have high ranking, but in this case not. Bojana at least have the courage to chase lines and Stephens just went right and left and returning in court and sometimes she dared to attack.

And I do not see anything insulting in my comment in contrast to comments of other people on this forum. Even in this thread there is several insulting comments addressed to Bojana but of course you did not see them, You only see what you want to see and understand in way you want to understand.
Because unlike Caro and Aga, and geez they actually have different playing styles, Stephens is able and does hit more winners than her opponents. If by being aggressive you mean grunting louder, yes, Bojana was really, really aggressive.

And you just don't get it. First you think Bojana is the better player even though other than her bp conversion all of her stats were worse than Stephens's; second, you compare the match to the one Aga beating Maria while Aga hit like 20 fewers winners than Sharapova, hit like only 5 winners and 5 UEs. In this match Stephens hit tons of UEs, MORE winners. I can say that your tennis knowledge is not real then, and it's probably not very insulting either.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 09:42 AM   #132
country flag lupojohn
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
Because unlike Caro and Aga, and geez they actually have different playing styles, Stephens is able and does hit more winners than her opponents. If by being aggressive you mean grunting louder, yes, Bojana was really, really aggressive.

And you just don't get it. First you think Bojana is the better player even though other than her bp conversion all of her stats were worse than Stephens's; second, you compare the match to the one Aga beating Maria while Aga hit like 20 fewers winners than Sharapova, hit like only 5 winners and 5 UEs. In this match Stephens hit tons of UEs, MORE winners. I can say that your tennis knowledge is not real then, and it's probably not very insulting either.
In the 2nd set, Sloane started pushing the ball and Bojana was dictating and more aggressive, especially her forehand. Even Mary Joe said this(and you know that they want Sloane to win, so what does that tell you?). Sloane won because she was steadier when it counted. I think his point is more of an overall one in that Bojana's getting trashed, mainly for her grunting(which is hypocrisy when Vika and Maria get off scot-free), instead of analyzing what she did and didn't do well.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 09:46 AM   #133
country flag Angelus87

Angelus87 is a name known to all Angelus87 is a name known to all Angelus87 is a name known to all Angelus87 is a name known to all Angelus87 is a name known to all Angelus87 is a name known to all Angelus87 is a name known to all Angelus87 is a name known to all Angelus87 is a name known to all Angelus87 is a name known to all Angelus87 is a name known to all

dont worry QF s peak for her nothing more
Angelus87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 09:47 AM   #134
country flag pancake

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupojohn View Post
In the 2nd set, Sloane started pushing the ball and Bojana was dictating and more aggressive, especially her forehand. Even Mary Joe said this(and you know that they want Sloane to win, so what does that tell you?). Sloane won because she was steadier when it counted. I think his point is more of an overall one in that Bojana's getting trashed, mainly for her grunting(which is hypocrisy when Vika and Maria get off scot-free), instead of analyzing what she did and didn't do well.
Well, I agreed that Sloane was passive in the 2nd set and most of the 3rd set, I never said she wasn't. But to say someone is better because she's more aggressive is ridiculous. Esp considering that even she was more aggressive but still ended up hitting 6 fewer winners, that tells you sth about her NOT being better.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 10:03 AM   #135
country flag Pops Maellard
Quiche

Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav. View Post
She just needs to work on continuing being aggressive in pressure moments, but that will come with experience.
People said that about Caro too .

Maria
Venus
ANA
Petra
Pops Maellard is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote