[WTA SAVED!] AO R4: Stephens d. Jovanovski 61 36 75 - Page 8 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 21st, 2013, 06:20 AM   #106
country flag Sally Todd

Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [WTA SAVED!] AO R4: Stephens d. Jovanovski 61 36 75

I can speak relatively objectively about Stephens. I saw her play at Indian Wells two years ago and she has come a loooooong way. Last year around this time I watched her lose a grinder to Kuznetsova and was impressed with her progress. She continues to steadily improve.

It is true that her passivity repeatedly gets her into trouble. When she gets the lead in a match she has a tendency to start playing it safer and let her opponent into the match. Happened with Robson and again today.

For people who say she has no chance of ever winning a grand slam I have two words: Roland Garros. She's already reached the round of 16 there. It's great to finally see an American play good clay court tennis, even if right now she's doing it on hard courts.

Jovanovski was only in this match because Lucie and Nadia are both such colossal fails at ever achieving what they should. Her game is pretty one-dimensional and not especially attractive.

As for the reactions to Stephens' personality and interviews, some people on this forum need to acquaint themselves with the concepts of irony and sarcasm. She is mouthy, but she has a dry sense of humor, and for now at least her brashness is welcome.
Sally Todd is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 21st, 2013, 06:21 AM   #107
country flag pancake

pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igorche View Post
But at least she did not play a passive. This match was like when Aga beat Masha
You serious? Aga hit like, 5 winners against Masha in that match.

Stephens hit 6 MORE winners than Jovanovski did in the match. And seriously did you look at the stats before claiming Jovanovski was the better player in the match?
pancake is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 06:21 AM   #108
country flag Tenis Srbija

Tenis Srbija has a reputation beyond repute Tenis Srbija has a reputation beyond repute Tenis Srbija has a reputation beyond repute Tenis Srbija has a reputation beyond repute Tenis Srbija has a reputation beyond repute Tenis Srbija has a reputation beyond repute Tenis Srbija has a reputation beyond repute Tenis Srbija has a reputation beyond repute Tenis Srbija has a reputation beyond repute Tenis Srbija has a reputation beyond repute Tenis Srbija has a reputation beyond repute

"WTA SAVED"

Instagram
Tenis Srbija is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 06:21 AM   #109
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad[le]y. View Post
Sydney final. Bye.
Exactly. A few years back Pome would just stay like 5 foot behind the baseline retrieve and counter when possible, now she is the epitome of brainless ballbashing. She is like the living proof of changing radically a tennis player style of play.

Point aside, Caro tends to play more aggressively under pressure, Sloane does the exact opposite.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 06:21 AM   #110
country flag JarkaFish
Multiform

JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Todd View Post
I can speak relatively objectively about Stephens. I saw her play at Indian Wells two years ago and she has come a loooooong way. Last year around this time I watched her lose a grinder to Kuznetsova and was impressed with her progress. She continues to steadily improve.

It is true that her passivity repeatedly gets her into trouble. When she gets the lead in a match she has a tendency to start playing it safer and let her opponent into the match. Happened with Robson and again today.

For people who say she has no chance of ever winning a grand slam I have two words: Roland Garros. She's already reached the round of 16 there. It's great to finally see an American play good clay court tennis, even if right now she's doing it on clay.

Jovanovski was only in this match because the likes of Lucie and Nadia are such colossal fails at ever achieving what they should. Her game is pretty one-dimensional and not especially attractive.

As for the reactions to her personality and interviews, some people on this forum need to acquaint themselves with the concepts of irony and sarcasm. She is mouthy, but she has a dry sense of humor, and for now at least her brashness is welcome.
Sloane was only in this match because Petra is a giant fail.
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 06:22 AM   #111
country flag producer88

producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnetswill View Post
Sloane already causing result thread drama just like the queens of the tour.
Lmaoo I know right! You know you've become relevant and a threat when people on this forum start hating you, criticizing you, and continue to attack your game and potential. Just like Serena, Maria, Vika, and the other top tier women. Sloane is winning right now haha.
producer88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 06:23 AM   #112
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute

I think most people here watched the last couple of games it seems.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 06:23 AM   #113
country flag wildemu

wildemu has a reputation beyond repute wildemu has a reputation beyond repute wildemu has a reputation beyond repute wildemu has a reputation beyond repute wildemu has a reputation beyond repute wildemu has a reputation beyond repute wildemu has a reputation beyond repute wildemu has a reputation beyond repute wildemu has a reputation beyond repute wildemu has a reputation beyond repute wildemu has a reputation beyond repute

If sloane develops into the player we saw the last two games, yes please ill have some of that.

But the other two sets....I would be cheering against her just so i dont have to watch anny more of that brutal pushing. We have the woz for that.
wildemu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 06:25 AM   #114
Serenita

Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnetswill View Post
Sloane already causing result thread drama just like the queens of the tour.

Serenita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 06:39 AM   #115
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so glad she won. Go Sloane!
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 06:41 AM   #116
country flag matty

matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad[le]y. View Post
That doesn't mean much IMO, I remember Wozniacki hit an amazing BH DTL winner in her 2009 USO match vs. Kuznetsova at 5-5 in the second set tiebreak.

The way she was hitting her groundstrokes in those last few games was incredibly passive. And she was playing Jovanovski, not a big name at all
she won, didn't she

ooo h a n t u c h o v a ooo a z a r e n k a ooo s w i l l i a m s ooo v w i l l i a m s ooo k e y s ooo m a t t e k - s a n d s ooo k u z n e t s o v a ooo
matty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 06:49 AM   #117
country flag Sally Todd

Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
Sloane was only in this match because Petra is a giant fail.
Sloane has made it to the round of 16 of three of four majors (and 3rd round of Wimbledon) before the age of 20.

I don't think we'll be seeing Jovanovski in the latter stages of majors as much, and we certainly haven't so far. Correct me if I'm wrong.

As for Petra, don't even get me started. I was one of her biggest flag-wavers when she announced herself by beating Venus in Memphis many years back. Petra shoud have had more than one major by now but she is just a mess. Hopefully she will get it back together and win big tournaments again. As opposed to Lucie and Nadia who both have flat out never delivered on their promise, especially at majors.
Sally Todd is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 06:56 AM   #118
country flag matty

matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute matty has a reputation beyond repute

I watched most of the 2nd set and until Bo was up 3-1 in the 3rd and I had to turn it off -- Sloane was playing so passively/pushing -- I was sure she was going to lose the match. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw she had pulled it off
...also, I totally get her dry sense of humor.

ooo h a n t u c h o v a ooo a z a r e n k a ooo s w i l l i a m s ooo v w i l l i a m s ooo k e y s ooo m a t t e k - s a n d s ooo k u z n e t s o v a ooo
matty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 07:29 AM   #119
country flag GOATdin0931

GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute

BoJo
GOATdin0931 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 07:36 AM   #120
country flag Libertango

Libertango has a reputation beyond repute Libertango has a reputation beyond repute Libertango has a reputation beyond repute Libertango has a reputation beyond repute Libertango has a reputation beyond repute Libertango has a reputation beyond repute Libertango has a reputation beyond repute Libertango has a reputation beyond repute Libertango has a reputation beyond repute Libertango has a reputation beyond repute Libertango has a reputation beyond repute

Sloane

Libertango is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote