Slavic domination in tennis - Where it comes from? Why? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 1st, 2014, 12:59 AM   #1
country flag elba

elba has much to be proud of elba has much to be proud of elba has much to be proud of elba has much to be proud of elba has much to be proud of elba has much to be proud of elba has much to be proud of elba has much to be proud of elba has much to be proud of elba has much to be proud of elba has much to be proud of
Slavic domination in tennis - Where it comes from? Why?

Tennis was formerly a British - American - Australian sport.
Less than 5% of the world's population are Slavs.
Best player of all times Martina Navrátilová - Czech.
Now 7 of 10 girls in TOP10 have Slavic father or mother.
Best tennis boy now is from Serbia.

Where it comes from? Why?

Have they the better genetic systems?
Have they greater motivation?
Better coaches?
Is the air better in Serbia?
Slavic tennis girls look beautiful as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 1st, 2014, 01:07 AM   #2
country flag Wiggly

Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Slavic domination in tennis - Where it comes from? Why?

Anna Kournikova.
Plenty of Eastern European dads thought their little darling could make some serious money.

Many of these girls are coached by their father from a very early age. The entire family's finances rest on their performances. No pressure.
Wiggly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 01:13 AM   #3
country flag Warrior

Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggly View Post
Anna Kournikova.
Plenty of Eastern European dads thought their little darling could make some serious money.

Many of these girls are coached by their father from a very early age. The entire family's finances rest on their performances. No pressure.
And how exactly did she influence Martina Navrátilová?
Warrior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 01:32 AM   #4
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

A few years ago there were 6 Russians in the top 10. Its spread out more, although mostly Europe.
The unusual part is that countries with a small population have top 10 players.
Is Kerber Polish? That would be 3 in the top 9 with Caro & Aga
They could have all been on the Poland Fed Cup team if Poland was spending $ on junior development

On the ATP side, look at the population of the countries the top 2 are from.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 01:38 AM   #5
country flag elba

elba has much to be proud of elba has much to be proud of elba has much to be proud of elba has much to be proud of elba has much to be proud of elba has much to be proud of elba has much to be proud of elba has much to be proud of elba has much to be proud of elba has much to be proud of elba has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggly View Post

Of course Father is a close caregiver and money certainly plays a big role.
But this is also true for American, French, Chinese girls/parents.
But why are Slavic tennis girls (and boys) so excellent?
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 02:38 AM   #6
country flag Hugues Daniel
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by elba View Post
Tennis was formerly a British - American - Australian sport.
Less than 5% of the world's population are Slavs.
Best player of all times Martina Navrátilová - Czech.
Now 7 of 10 girls in TOP10 have Slavic father or mother.
Best tennis boy now is from Serbia.

Have they greater motivation?
Better coaches?
Actually tennis from Eastern Europe has a long history, pretty much as old as the French, German, American and Australian one (the oldest being of course the British). So they have a big tradition of tennis there, Russia included. There were already tournaments at the end of the 19th century. As much traditional as horse-riding and fencing, I would say.
Hugues Daniel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 03:21 AM   #7
country flag ShinoLikesBallZ

ShinoLikesBallZ is a name known to all ShinoLikesBallZ is a name known to all ShinoLikesBallZ is a name known to all ShinoLikesBallZ is a name known to all ShinoLikesBallZ is a name known to all ShinoLikesBallZ is a name known to all ShinoLikesBallZ is a name known to all ShinoLikesBallZ is a name known to all ShinoLikesBallZ is a name known to all ShinoLikesBallZ is a name known to all ShinoLikesBallZ is a name known to all

- Need for $$$ to have a better life than working for 200-300$ per month

If they had Serena wouldn't slay them left and right like she does with Woz/Aga/Vika/Pova when she's in full force

Have they greater motivation? It depends on player:

Vika- motivation for famous life + for being grand slam winner
Woz- motivation for Grand Slam glory (which Serena cruely denied her in 2014 as the best friend always does)
Aga- motivation for having nice boyfriend, life full of luxury and regular income of $$$ from vulturing mid-high stages of bigger tournaments.
Sharapova- motivation to increase her delusion that she's better than Serena in something revelant.

Better coaches?
Woz/Pova having daddies as their basic, main coaches when they decide to fire others, Vika's coach is some kind of mentor for her, Aga does not give a shit about her coaches words as she's to involved in late night training sessions with her sparingpartner.

I think it's not Mordor but Djokovic is asthmathic so maybe something more than love is in the air.

It depends.
ShinoLikesBallZ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 03:39 AM   #8
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

The same phenomenon that work within each country level, also work at nations level.
It seem like in Europe, eastern Europeans, generally less well off than their counterpart in the west, see sports as one way to get out of poverty are more motivated, determined and work harder at becoming competitive athletes.

Even among tennis players in the west, many of them emigrated from Slavic countries, brining with them that work ethic, motivation, determination and desire to succeed.

Tow factors working against west Europeans:
1) Youngsters whose famility can afford (financially) tennis at an early age are too comfortable in their daily lives to keep pushing when things become a little difficult.
They lack the survival instinct, the toughness, commitment and determination to keep pushing

2) Youngsters from middle or working class families who traditionally excel in other sports in their countries, find tennis too distant from their daily lives because of the social class they were born in. Even countries with resources to recruit from working class neighborhood, they might find it difficult if the parents of the youngsters to do not commit to be involved. And often, they cannot afford to commit because of economic reasons.
In sports like American football , soccer, baseball and basketball, there is no such problem as these sports are accessible to the kids right in their neighborhood.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 03:43 AM   #9
country flag @nathanj594

@nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute @nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute @nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute @nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute @nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute @nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute @nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute @nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute @nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute @nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute @nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinoLikesBallZ View Post
- Need for $$$ to have a better life than working for 200-300$ per month

If they had Serena wouldn't slay them left and right like she does with Woz/Aga/Vika/Pova when she's in full force

Have they greater motivation? It depends on player:

Vika- motivation for famous life + for being grand slam winner
Woz- motivation for Grand Slam glory (which Serena cruely denied her in 2014 as the best friend always does)
Aga- motivation for having nice boyfriend, life full of luxury and regular income of $$$ from vulturing mid-high stages of bigger tournaments.
Sharapova- motivation to increase her delusion that she's better than Serena in something revelant.

Better coaches?
Woz/Pova having daddies as their basic, main coaches when they decide to fire others, Vika's coach is some kind of mentor for her, Aga does not give a shit about her coaches words as she's to involved in late night training sessions with her sparingpartner.

I think it's not Mordor but Djokovic is asthmathic so maybe something more than love is in the air.

It depends.

Welcome! I like you already!
@nathanj594 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 04:31 AM   #10
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
In sports like American football , soccer, baseball and basketball, there is no such problem as these sports are accessible to the kids right in their neighborhood.
Tennis is as much affordable and accessible as soccer in Europe. But soccer is way more popular here than tennis. What may explain that, is that tennis is more individual than soccer. It requires a passion for the sport itself before anything else, whereas soccer has a "social" dimension (due to the fact it's much popular as well - vicious circle).
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 05:02 AM   #11
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugues Daniel View Post
Tennis is as much affordable and accessible as soccer in Europe. But soccer is way more popular here than tennis. What may explain that, is that tennis is more individual than soccer. It requires a passion for the sport itself before anything else, whereas soccer has a "social" dimension (due to the fact it's much popular as well - vicious circle).
Although I did not use the word "popular" in my post, I think my part of my comment covered it.
Quote:
I agree about the individual aspect of it, but I really think it social dimension of tennis that put off limit.
Boxing is also an individual sport, but I dare say 99.99% boxers come from working class facilities because the sport is not alien to their lives.

By that, I mean tennis is generally associated with the upper class and off limit to working and middle class people.
And in Western Europe, where class division is much more pronounced than in North America, kids from modest background have hard time dreaming to be a tennis player when they grow up.

Old Dec 1st, 2014, 05:15 AM   #12
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
Although I did not use the word "popular" in my post, I think my part of my comment covered it.

I agree about the individual aspect of it, but I really think it social dimension of tennis that put off limit.
Boxing is also an individual sport, but I dare say 99.99% boxers come from working class facilities because the sport is not alien to their lives.

By that, I mean tennis is generally associated with the upper class and off limit to working and middle class people.
And in Western Europe, where class division is much more pronounced than in North America, kids from modest background have hard time dreaming to be a tennis player when they grow up.
Yep, that must be the thing. They can still play tennis on a court somewhere, but don't dream about it. Are you sure of the class division being more pronounced in western Europe than north America? I certainly don't see it that way. But I don't have stats.
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 05:35 AM   #13
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

A world obviously upper class in my corner (south-eastern France) is the sport of golf. I've met some of those young competitors and their parents, they really live in their own world, it's unreal.
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 05:43 AM   #14
country flag tennisbum79

Quote:
Yep, that must be the thing. They can still play tennis on a court somewhere, but don't dream about it.
Well, they can play tennis as a recreational sport, but if they don't believe they can make it to the pros, they won't be committed and driven. You need a support system starting with your parents, friends and neighborhood.

Quote:
Are you sure of the class division being more pronounced in western Europe than north America? I certainly don't see it that way. But I don't have stats.
Yes. The difference between old Europe and North America is that. In Europe, the class you 're born pretty much still determines how far are you can climb socially.
Yes it true, Western Europe now has social mobility, but there is a ceiling to that social mobility.

I don't have stats, but this acknowledged in Great Britain.
Not good example for what we're discussing, but it gives a window on British society.
You can't work at BBC with your regular working class accent.
Even Margaret Thatcher had to get rid of her working class accent and sound like an British aristocrat.

When Canadian born Greg Rusedski switched his nationality to Great Britain, he was made fun of because he did not have a British accent, he never fit in.

Old Dec 1st, 2014, 07:05 AM   #15
country flag Aryman3

Aryman3 has a brilliant future Aryman3 has a brilliant future Aryman3 has a brilliant future Aryman3 has a brilliant future Aryman3 has a brilliant future Aryman3 has a brilliant future Aryman3 has a brilliant future Aryman3 has a brilliant future Aryman3 has a brilliant future Aryman3 has a brilliant future Aryman3 has a brilliant future

Shino... Stop these cheap insults concerning Aga
You know nothing about her late-night life.
Aryman3 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote