Which players have the highest 'TENNIS' IQ? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which player in the Open Era has the Highest Tennis IQ?

M. Navratilova 26 7.83%
A. Radwanska 48 14.46%
J. Henin 40 12.05%
C. Evert 12 3.61%
M. Hingis 107 32.23%
A. Mauresmo 5 1.51%
S. Williams 57 17.17%
S. Graf 10 3.01%
Other (please specify) 19 5.72%
Even w.the criteria listed, too hard to compare 8 2.41%
Voters: 332. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 20th, 2013, 11:59 AM   #1
country flag Sir Stefwhit

Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute
Which players have the highest 'TENNIS' IQ?

So we can all be in agreement over definitions, using the detailed criteria below to define 'Tennis IQ'- which player would you say has the highest tennisIQ?

How I'm defining Tennis IQ
Strategy: having a formalized game plan to defeat a particular opponent. In addition to the initial game plan, having plans "B" and "C" options, and being able to successfully incorporate a backup plan if the original strategy isn't working.

Anticipation: the ability to read plays as well as the ability to predict patterns, shots, tendencies, and where the ball will land.

Variety: being able to go into your bag of tricks and hit every shot in the book when needed lends itself to a higher IQ. So players who incorporate use of angles, change the direction and pace of the ball, have variety of serves, have a good transition game, show competency at the net, as well as incorporate the following: spin, power, slice, feel, and touch.

Execution: Players who find ways to neutralize an opponents strengths and can successfully exploit their weaknesses. Some do this by keeping their unforced errors low, others dominating with winners, and some may try to physically exhaust you. It's not just having the plan it's being able to consistently frustrate other players by making their games ineffective- and more importantly it's the ability to do this MORE OFTEN than not.

Honorable mentions to: Schiavone, Conchita Martinez, Myskina, Maria Kirilenko, Davenport, Natasha Zvereva, and Manuela Maleeva.
The REAL GOAT Rafael Nadal
Future Inductees: Clijsters, C.Evert, A.Agassi, A.Berasategui, N. Zvereva, I.Majoli, M.Safin, Li Na, VIKA, and Del Potro

Last edited by Sir Stefwhit : Jan 20th, 2013 at 05:28 PM.
Sir Stefwhit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 20th, 2013, 12:07 PM   #2
country flag Steadyniacki
~*Princess Karolina*~

Steadyniacki has a reputation beyond repute Steadyniacki has a reputation beyond repute Steadyniacki has a reputation beyond repute Steadyniacki has a reputation beyond repute Steadyniacki has a reputation beyond repute Steadyniacki has a reputation beyond repute Steadyniacki has a reputation beyond repute Steadyniacki has a reputation beyond repute Steadyniacki has a reputation beyond repute Steadyniacki has a reputation beyond repute Steadyniacki has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Which player would you say has the Highest Tennis IQ?

I whole-heartedly believe Marion is one of the best.

Although her game is monotonic, she manages to beat lots of players who can hit the ball harder or run faster, without playing a high risk game or exhausting them physically, she mainatains extremely good focus and uses her brain. She makes exectues her game the best she can and doesnt let her opponent get into her head. It allows her to beat a lot of player people think she shouldnt. Most of the time that is
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 12:09 PM   #3
Cookiecrusher

Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future

You really have a lot of time on your hands
Cookiecrusher is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 12:14 PM   #4

Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post
I just love tennis and since im more interested in discussions like this rather than biggest boobs I try to create threads on things I think about. It's always interesting to hear what others think and get there take on things. This is a discussion board after all....

And if I never created this thread I would never have got a chance to see Bartoli the way 'six feet under' does. I actually think he makes a great case for her- and as much "free time" I have on my hands, I probably never would have thought of her on my own.
Future Inductees: Clijsters, C.Evert, A.Agassi, A.Berasategui, N. Zvereva, I.Majoli, M.Safin, Li Na, VIKA, and Del Potro
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 12:19 PM   #5
country flag CSN-4TW

CSN-4TW is a splendid one to behold CSN-4TW is a splendid one to behold CSN-4TW is a splendid one to behold CSN-4TW is a splendid one to behold CSN-4TW is a splendid one to behold CSN-4TW is a splendid one to behold CSN-4TW is a splendid one to behold CSN-4TW is a splendid one to behold CSN-4TW is a splendid one to behold CSN-4TW is a splendid one to behold CSN-4TW is a splendid one to behold

Evert or Graf.

Carlita

FOLLOW Carlita on Twitter

CSN-4TW is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 12:27 PM   #6
country flag JustPetko

JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Which players have the highest 'TENNIS' IQ?

Jovanovski.

TT Singles: (CH: #40) W ITF Biella'10, W ITF Nantes'10, W ITF Dubai'12 | TT Doubles: (CH: #1) ITF Nantes'10, ITF Bucharest'10, Marbella'11, Washington'11, Linz'11, YEC'11, ITF Opole'11, Pattaya'12, Tashkent'12, ITF Pune'12, Memphis'13, Carlsbad'13, Marrakesh'14, Washington'14 | Suicide: (CH: #5) W Luxembourg'12, W Luxembourg'13 | Tipping: (CH: #2) W YEC'11, W Acapulco'13, W Brisbane'14, W RG'14
JustPetko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #7
Olórin

Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute

My knee jerk reaction is Evert.

I think their are two kinds of great players. Ones which thrive off instinct and pay more attention to their own game than to strategy in a match e.g. Serena, Graf, Goolagong. And those such as Evert, Henin who have to make so many little adjustments to their games over the years and that have to consider the "bigger" weapons of their opponents that they develop their tennis IQ in a far more profound way.

-------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post
Kleenex
Total Posts: 140 (17.23 posts per

Sir Stefwit
Total Posts: 5,107 (1.77 posts per day)

Spot the real fan, spot the troll
Olórin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 01:28 PM   #8
country flag Boxuan

Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of

May I say Mary Pierce? She knows exactly what time to pee or call medical time-out

ˇ┏┻━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓
┏┛李娜┣┫ˇ科娃┣┫ˇ郑洁┣┫ˇ伊万┣┫ˇ彭帅┣┫ˇ杨科┃
┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛
Boxuan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 01:38 PM   #9
country flag fouc

fouc has a reputation beyond repute fouc has a reputation beyond repute fouc has a reputation beyond repute fouc has a reputation beyond repute fouc has a reputation beyond repute fouc has a reputation beyond repute fouc has a reputation beyond repute fouc has a reputation beyond repute fouc has a reputation beyond repute fouc has a reputation beyond repute fouc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPetko View Post
Jovanovski.
how is she not in the poll?
fouc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 01:38 PM   #10
country flag supergrunt

supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute

"TENNIS IQ" is just a buzzword used by idiotic commentators to disguise their hidden contempt for particular players under the guise of objectivity.
supergrunt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #11
country flag Lachy
ICE QUEENS.

Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute

As much as I am not a fan of her, I think Agnieszka has one of the best tennis IQs and it's probably her biggest asset.

Maria Sharapova
Vania King|Zarina Diyas
Lachy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #12
country flag Young 8

Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute Young 8 has a reputation beyond repute

Gajdosova
Young 8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 02:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fouc View Post
how is she (Jovanoski) not in the poll?
She's a crafty player with variety but she's not successful winning with her style of play. I made a point to be clear that just having a gameplay wasn't enough u have to be able to successfully implement it as well. With her career record she still hasn't found enough success for her to be in consideration IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergrunt View Post
"TENNIS IQ" is just a buzzword used by idiotic commentators to disguise their hidden contempt for particular players under the guise of objectivity.
Okay... but what does that have to do with this thread??
It's obvious u didn't bother reading the first post. i actually made sure to address that issue by defining it to mean something universal.
-----------------------
I'm stuck picking between Chris, Serena, and Radwanska...I will come back to it after some more thought.
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #14
country flag Mynarco
Thank You For The Music

Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute

Bartoli.
Singles (CHR#17) - Copenhagen 10 ; Beijing 11 ; Pattaya 12
Doubles (CHR#10) - Cincinnati 09 (w/Drake1980) ; Auckland+Copenhagen 10 (w/Richie's) ; Palermo 11 (w/Richie's) ; Stuttgart+Baku 12 (w/Richie's) ; Palermo 13 (w/Richie's) ; Monterrey 14 (w/Adrian.) USO 14 (w/Frederik)

Mynarco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 03:02 PM   #15
Royals.

Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute

Radwanska...