Harsh Light Falls on Bolshoi After Acid Attack - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 05:38 PM   #16
country flag Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Harsh Light Falls on Bolshoi After Acid Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula View Post
I think it's more 'professional jealousy' and little to do with Russian society - the majority of people never go to the ballet in their entire lives for a start!
The ones I meet have, even those that don't particular care for it. Perhaps I know too many rich people.
Crazy Canuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 05:41 PM   #17

Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post

Thankfully, I highly doubt any other Russian would have such detached reaction to these event and the comment above.
Have you ever met a Russian?
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 06:35 PM   #18
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post
Russia.
Bearing in mind that I could not possibly care less about which is actually better, I think you'll find many a Russian who declares the Mariinsky better. I have, anyway.
Kind of doubt it. I've been to both within last month. The way they look, they are in totally different leagues. Mariinski leaves an impression of very much a cash-strapped institution.. They don't even have arm-chairs in orchestra seating, just regular chairs.. It felt like seating in a village movie theater. All Mariinski has left is the beautiful real estate, which though also needs renovation. And getting that subway station next to it finally completed would be helpful too.

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 06:40 PM   #19
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The ones I meet have, even those that don't particular care for it. Perhaps I know too many rich people.
You know Moscow. Moscow is not descriptive of all Russia at all. Moscow has more traits of a regular European city, not particularly well-managed though. Most of the people I know in Moscow religiously go to theaters, make sure their kids are busy ( sport clubs and training, additional lessons, music lessons, dance studios, museums, theaters, etc ) every single spare minute. Seeing the next generation of Muscovites ( after this generation spoiled by alcohol and tobacco abuse dies off ) develop would be quite interesting .

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 07:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ys View Post
Kind of doubt it. I've been to both within last month. The way they look, they are in totally different leagues. Mariinski leaves an impression of very much a cash-strapped institution.. They don't even have arm-chairs in orchestra seating, just regular chairs.. It felt like seating in a village movie theater. All Mariinski has left is the beautiful real estate, which though also needs renovation. And getting that subway station next to it finally completed would be helpful too.
Again, I could not care less which is better. I know only the opinions of the relatively wealthy people I teach, and how they responded when it came up in class. So, I'm not sure what you're doubting - that I heard these opinions, or the validity of the opinions
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 07:02 PM   #21

Quote:
You know Moscow. Moscow is not descriptive of all Russia at all. Moscow has more traits of a regular European city, not particularly well-managed though. Most of the people I know in Moscow religiously go to theaters, make sure their kids are busy ( sport clubs and training, additional lessons, music lessons, dance studios, museums, theaters, etc ) every single spare minute. Seeing the next generation of Muscovites ( after this generation spoiled by alcohol and tobacco abuse dies off ) develop would be quite interesting .
True.
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 11:41 PM   #22
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Did you realise that some posters explicitly indicated the agreement with that opinion and that was a reaction to their agreement with Fat Nastya's opinion.
Just extreme dumbness on your end, don't you think? Would not you first try to read the thread? And not the first time, as spewing some aggressive crap seems to to be a reflectory reaction of a liberal brain these days it seems.
Some posters? You were the 3rd poster responding to the article.
Of previous 2 posters, only Crazy Canuck reacted to the article comments in question; quoting the comments and adding that s/he leaving Russia.
The poster Sam L. , the author of the thread, did not alude to the comments. S/he limited his/her post to wishing the victim well.

With that said, I still cannot understand from that comments made by a Russian ballerina, to your knee jerk reaction american society is fucked up too.
This not dumb, it is a reasonable question.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.

Last edited by tennisbum79 : Jan 24th, 2013 at 06:33 AM.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 11:56 PM   #23
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Have you ever met a Russian?
Yes, I have, but not intimately as you have.
Mine exposure has been through work and after hours.

I still believe that ys reaction is so off base and so outlandish, that a reasonable person would have made them.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 09:38 AM   #24
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Bearing in mind that I could not possibly care less about which is actually better, I think you'll find many a Russian who declares the Mariinsky better. I have, anyway.
I think it's more a prestige and history thing. Also, someone talked about RAD and British ballet. Keep in mind that it's hard compare because they have different methods. RAD is RAD, Italy is Cecchetti and Russia is Vaganova. I have Vaganova's "Basic Principles of Classical Ballet" and I'm reading it now.

---

Meanwhile, Sergei Filin is still fighting for his sight.
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 07:51 PM   #25
country flag Talula

Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute

What has happened is awful. But to turn this into a bashing of the Bolshoi and Russia seems insane to me. My final words on this are:

Living in London I have been to Sadlers Wells, the London Colliseum, and the Royal Ballet many times. I used to have a massive crush on Adam Cooper and various other dancers. However, when my father took me to see the Bolshoi in Le Corsaire and Spartacus at the Royal Opera House a couple of years ago, I was astounded. I love ballet, but I had never seen such remarkable dancing. I was pinned to my seat and stunned at the beauty of the performances. I do not have words to describe the level of dance I saw: the artistry, technique, and sheer brilliance. Not just the big stars and main leads, but the entire company. It was a level I had never seen before or since. And, at the detriment to my father's bank balance, I have seen a lot! I cannot imagine how any human being can dance like that!

I suppose my point is: a man got jealous and crazy and did a teriible thing. But please, to try and destroy the reputation of the Bolshoi by this act is just ridiculous!

Players I root for now: Heather, Laura, Lucie, Marion, Serena, Simona, Svetlana, Venus, Vika. And Caroline.
Doubles and Mixed Doubles are fun and underrated.
Talula is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 07:59 PM   #26
country flag Talula

Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I meant my last post to be my final word, but honestly you are deluding yourself! The number of Russians who have been to the ballet is miniscule in comparison to the poulation! Miniscule even in Moscow! Even if you are best friends with all the billionaires of Russia it would be miniscule! Most Russians haven't even heard of or care about their tennis players who have far more exposure! Honestly CC, get real! So you didn't like living in Russia and are glad you have left. This incident has nothing to do with that. This incident is artisitic jealousy, nothing more or less.

Players I root for now: Heather, Laura, Lucie, Marion, Serena, Simona, Svetlana, Venus, Vika. And Caroline.
Doubles and Mixed Doubles are fun and underrated.
Talula is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 08:03 PM   #27
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula View Post
I meant my last post to be my final word, but honestly you are deluding yourself! The number of Russians who have been to the ballet is miniscule in comparison to the poulation! Miniscule even in Moscow! Even if you are best friends with all the billionaires of Russia it would be miniscule! Most Russians haven't even heard of or care about their tennis players who have far more exposure! Honestly CC, get real! So you didn't like living in Russia and are glad you have left. This incident has nothing to do with that. This incident is artisitic jealousy, nothing more or less.
I can tell you one thing. When I went to the ballet there I was surrounded by tourists. I don't know Russian but they weren't speaking Russian that's for sure. A guide told me only the tourists go there. I'm sure it's somewhere in between. But Ballet and Bolshoi are still huge cultural institutions in Russia more than anywhere else.
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 08:27 PM   #28
country flag Dominic

Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, disgusting sickos
Dominic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 08:43 PM   #29
country flag alfonsojose

alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute

Black swan
Old Mar 5th, 2013, 02:14 PM   #30
country flag pla

pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You have a school, which is skill wise, the absolute top of the world miles above everything else. I mean their ballet, of course. Their opera is brilliant, but not much that you can't see at Metopera, for instance,
Of course, there would be a lot of jealous people, a lot of people who believe they are under-appreciated, undeservedly ignored, abused.
Huh? Talking about schools, it's Vaganova and POB schools, then the Moscow State Academy. Talking about companies, count please the number of Primas from Vaganova/Marinskij in Bolshoi. Marinskij has much more traditions, and their feeding school- the Vaganova graduates, are much cleaner representatives of the Russian ballet tradition and style.

Bolshoi is great but it's not moles above the rest, they are not even the best.
pla is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote