Does Chris Evert bother anyone else as a match commentator? - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 20th, 2013, 01:20 PM   #61
Olórin

Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does Chris Evert bother anyone else as a match commentator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by treufreund View Post
Actually I can't totally disagree about Maria's forehand being her best shot.
It's the litmus test for Sharapova's game being "on". It's not her most effective shot of the two flanks, but perhaps it is the most "spectacular" and yields the highest dividends when it is "on". Much like Justine's forehand - for years it was almost gospel that her backhand was her best shot. It was her forehand which won her slams. Bearing this in mind I don't think it's completely absurd for Evert to refer to Maria's forehand as her "best shot".

That said, I have heard Chrissie talk a lot of nonsense, as I have many/most commentators, announcers and journalists - often on a weekly basis. Chrissie is a babbler, she's not someone who will only open her mouth when she's 100% confident about her subject of conversation. Chrissie haters need to deal with it.
Olórin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 20th, 2013, 01:25 PM   #62
Olórin

Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dybbuk View Post
In no world is Kuznetsova a serve and volleyer. In fact half the time she's too passive and tries to rally more than she should. Mary Joe (who was a top 5 player, so she has to be right) was looking at Chrissie like she was crazy when she said that.
Jesus. Why would Chrissie pay attention to how Kuzzy and the other scrubs on the parking lots are playing these days. It's depressing enough as it is. We know she only gets out of bed for the big money.[/mild sarcasm]
Olórin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 01:26 PM   #63
country flag Kuzzy24

Kuzzy24 has a brilliant future Kuzzy24 has a brilliant future Kuzzy24 has a brilliant future Kuzzy24 has a brilliant future Kuzzy24 has a brilliant future Kuzzy24 has a brilliant future Kuzzy24 has a brilliant future Kuzzy24 has a brilliant future Kuzzy24 has a brilliant future Kuzzy24 has a brilliant future Kuzzy24 has a brilliant future

Chris Evert : " What goes up must come down"
Kuzzy24 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 01:45 PM   #64
velvetrope

velvetrope has disabled reputation

For someone known to be one of the most mentally tough players, Evert does not seem to be very analytical. In fact, her thinking seems to be rather simplistic at times. I wonder if her ability to simplify things in her head allowed her to be tunnel vision on the court. By contrast, Martina N. was viewed as more mentally fragile but is obviously more insightful in her commentary.
velvetrope is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 01:54 PM   #65
country flag Mashabator
5 Grand Slams

Mashabator has a reputation beyond repute Mashabator has a reputation beyond repute Mashabator has a reputation beyond repute Mashabator has a reputation beyond repute Mashabator has a reputation beyond repute Mashabator has a reputation beyond repute Mashabator has a reputation beyond repute Mashabator has a reputation beyond repute Mashabator has a reputation beyond repute Mashabator has a reputation beyond repute Mashabator has a reputation beyond repute

I sometimes read the #shitchrissiesays hash tag on twitter so many lines

Maria Sharapova + Jelena Dokic + Sabine Lisicki + Vania King + Julia Goerges + Victoria Duval
Mashabator is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 02:01 PM   #66
country flag harloo

harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute

This is why I dislike the commentary of Prissy Chrissy:

Dumb Blonde- check
Biased opinion- check
Homewrecker-check
Botox game proper-check
Sharapova ass kissing-check
Clueless about players, H2H records, or facts-check

She is absolutely the worst commentator ever. I don't even understand why ESPN decided to add her to the roster. She's biased, overly critical of players she doesn't like, kisses Sharapova's feet, and doesn't know much about the current players on tour or how to properly analyze a match.

The woman is unbearable and should be banned from the commentating booth. Every time she speaks I mute the sound or turn my Direct TV interactive coverage to a channel with British or Aussie commentators who do a pretty good job.

harloo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 04:47 PM   #67
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana View Post
If you won EIGHTEEN slam singles titles, maybe, just maybe, from your persepctive, they DO have the same type of game.

It's going to come as a shock to a lot of people here, but Chris Evert knows WAY more about tennis than almost anyone on the this forum. He father was a coach, she grew up in the game, and she was one of the foremost practitioners of it.

If she says they have the same type of game, and you DON'T see that, the objective response is that YOU need to look harder. Unless you're Margaret Court, Steffi Graf, Billie Jean King, Martina Navratilova or Serena, there is NO doubt Chris Evert opinion is more educated than yours. NO doubt.

You don't have to like her, but if you don;t see what she sees, chances are you're the one that's blind, not her.

NOTE: BJK and Arthur Ashe were my tennis heroes. I hated when Evert supplanted BJK. But Chris Evert had more influence on the on-court-game of women's tennis than any other player in history. She MADE women's tennis a baseline game. (Not a virtue, but a reality.) She's an Authority. Haters gonna hate, but they gotta know that's all they got.
This quote is simply not true, because it's painfully obvious that Chrissie doesn't follow the game or know most of the players. What's wrong with pointing that out. It's true. The stuff/shit Chrissie says, indeed. 18 Majors be Damned!!

So unless she's your mother, aunt or lover, I can't see why you would come out and so passionately, steadfastly and blindly defend her!? It is, what it is.
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 04:58 PM   #68
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvetrope View Post
For someone known to be one of the most mentally tough players, Evert does not seem to be very analytical. In fact, her thinking seems to be rather simplistic at times. I wonder if her ability to simplify things in her head allowed her to be tunnel vision on the court. By contrast, Martina N. was viewed as more mentally fragile but is obviously more insightful in her commentary.
Very nice, short and INSIGHTFUL post your self Velvet!!
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #69
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by harloo View Post
This is why I dislike the commentary of Prissy Chrissy:

Dumb Blonde- check
Biased opinion- check
Homewrecker-check
Botox game proper-check
Sharapova ass kissing-check
Clueless about players, H2H records, or facts-check

She is absolutely the worst commentator ever. I don't even understand why ESPN decided to add her to the roster. She's biased, overly critical of players she doesn't like, kisses Sharapova's feet, and doesn't know much about the current players on tour or how to properly analyze a match.

The woman is unbearable and should be banned from the commentating booth. Every time she speaks I mute the sound or turn my Direct TV interactive coverage to a channel with British or Aussie commentators who do a pretty good job.
I 100% agree with you.

The only thing I'll say in her defense that she can do??... She can recount what a player is feeling or going through, based off of when she was in similar scenarios. Yeah, she can be good at that. It's about the only thing she does well in the booth (besides, un-intended comic relief or umbrage she incites, due to her blatant bias, lack of knowledge, air-headiness, mean girl, Botoxed, tanned, tarted up persona).
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #70
country flag nathanj594

nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute

Best one last night was when Team Serenus lost a point and she said something along the lines of "Now see, there's where the inexperience shows" Umm....Chrissie, they've only been playing doubles for like 20+ years. xD

Ree & Vee - Sveta Kuz - Kleybanova
nathanj594 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #71
country flag Jane Lane

Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvetrope View Post
Only one career post. This.

You are doing TF right tbh.
Jane Lane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 05:37 PM   #72
country flag JeMa

JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of JeMa has much to be proud of

I'm not of Evert's generation but I hated her after watching clips on the Bobby Riggs/BJ King battle of the sexes where she said "Oh Bobby's going to win for sure"

She's always wrong about nearly every pick she makes - from the beginning.
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 05:41 PM   #73
country flag heavyhorse

heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute

I like Tracy as a commentator.

"That's too good."
"Too good."
etc
heavyhorse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 05:42 PM   #74
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Lane View Post
Only one career post. This.

You are doing TF right tbh.
I didn't notice that (one career post).

And it took Chrissie's commentary to get him/her to comment (unless, he/she stumbled on TF for some rare reason today, and decided to comment).

Tells you something about Ms. Evert's 'In Booth Persona'.
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #75
faboozadoo15

faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olórin View Post
It's the litmus test for Sharapova's game being "on". It's not her most effective shot of the two flanks, but perhaps it is the most "spectacular" and yields the highest dividends when it is "on". Much like Justine's forehand - for years it was almost gospel that her backhand was her best shot. It was her forehand which won her slams. Bearing this in mind I don't think it's completely absurd for Evert to refer to Maria's forehand as her "best shot".

That said, I have heard Chrissie talk a lot of nonsense, as I have many/most commentators, announcers and journalists - often on a weekly basis. Chrissie is a babbler, she's not someone who will only open her mouth when she's 100% confident about her subject of conversation. Chrissie haters need to deal with it.
I agree 100%.

I still think Sharapova's backhand is her better shot in that it's so technically sound, and she moves better into it. But if she's winning majors, the forehand is what steps up.

I always thought Justine's BH was SO overrated because it was beautiful, and her forehand was the much more effective shot.
faboozadoo15 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote