Does Chris Evert bother anyone else as a match commentator? - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 20th, 2013, 05:29 AM   #31
country flag Cooper96

Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of
Re: Does Chris Evert bother anyone else as a match commentator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupojohn View Post
I don't mind Chrissie, but the one thing that bothers me is that she uses everyone's full name. It's OK to use just a first or last name. Honestly, Chris McKendry bothers me far more.
But McKendry's job is not to be a tennis expert, it's to be a host, which she does well at. Yes, she may flub names a lot and she tends to look plastic, but I still think she could get through a match without saying something as stupid as the things Evert says. To present yourself to the audience as an expert, which is assumed of a commentator, and say that the way to beat Maria Sharapova is to hit short balls or to say that a player who has made two slam semis has never play on a center court is ridiculous.
Cooper96 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 20th, 2013, 05:30 AM   #32
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tildeloltilde View Post
She's on ESPN way too much for me. She just stated, "The Ivanovic Radwanska match will be interesting since they both have the same type of game."

I don't think I've ever heard a more incorrect statement...
If you won EIGHTEEN slam singles titles, maybe, just maybe, from your persepctive, they DO have the same type of game.

It's going to come as a shock to a lot of people here, but Chris Evert knows WAY more about tennis than almost anyone on the this forum. He father was a coach, she grew up in the game, and she was one of the foremost practitioners of it.

If she says they have the same type of game, and you DON'T see that, the objective response is that YOU need to look harder. Unless you're Margaret Court, Steffi Graf, Billie Jean King, Martina Navratilova or Serena, there is NO doubt Chris Evert opinion is more educated than yours. NO doubt.

You don't have to like her, but if you don;t see what she sees, chances are you're the one that's blind, not her.

NOTE: BJK and Arthur Ashe were my tennis heroes. I hated when Evert supplanted BJK. But Chris Evert had more influence on the on-court-game of women's tennis than any other player in history. She MADE women's tennis a baseline game. (Not a virtue, but a reality.) She's an Authority. Haters gonna hate, but they gotta know that's all they got.
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 05:31 AM   #33
country flag lupojohn
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad[le]y. View Post
No it wasn't; JJ produced much better tennis during the late 2006-2008 circa. McHale makes a lot of players look better than they are.
The scoreline doesn't lie and JJ's not anywhere close to that version of herself.
lupojohn is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 05:32 AM   #34
country flag Jane Lane

Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute

Zheng Jie was inspired by the RG win of Li Na....even though she made a GS SF first.
Jane Lane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 05:33 AM   #35
country flag Cooper96

Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana View Post
If you won EIGHTEEN slam singles titles, maybe, just maybe, from your persepctive, they DO have the same type of game.

It's going to come as a shock to a lot of people here, but Chris Evert knows WAY more about tennis than almost anyone on the this forum. He father was a coach, she grew up in the game, and she was one of the foremost practitioners of it.

If she says they have the same type of game, and you DON'T see that, the objective response is that YOU need to look harder. Unless you're Margaret Court, Steffi Graf, Billie Jean King, Martina Navratilova or Serena, there is NO doubt Chris Evert opinion is more educated than yours. NO doubt.

You don't have to like her, but if you don;t see what she sees, chances are you're the one that's blind, not her.
Sorry, but this is just not true. I don't think Chris Evert could name half of the people in the Top 50. She may have been around tennis for all of her life, but that does not mean she is fit to be a commentator.
Cooper96 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 05:34 AM   #36
country flag Jane Lane

Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute

And if you think that Radwanska and Ivanovic do ANYTHING similarly, aside from "play tennis", you need your fucking head examined.
Jane Lane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 05:34 AM   #37
country flag Spencer.
New Caro Stan!

Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What's so bad about this? She had an opinion, made a mistake and owned up to it. That actually was the best JJ's played.
It struck me as very odd that "up and coming future british GOAT Laura Robson" was taken out by JJ 62 60 and that JJ also won her 2cd round match in straight sets and JJ has millions in prize money, a former world #1, a Grand Slam finalist and multiple Grand Slam semifinalist was no match for an American teenager who wasn't even ranked inside the top 40 and struggled to beat Marina Erakovic (who I believe was outside the top 100 in that match) in 3 sets the round before.

It just struck me as kind of stupid, and quite frankly being biased towards an American. There is no problem with giving McHale credit, but to say JJ was no match for her and McHale should be through easily was very weird.

We'll always have Wimbly 07
Spencer. is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 05:35 AM   #38
country flag Craig.
MA5HA

Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper96 View Post
Sorry, but this is just not true. I don't think Chris Evert could name half of the people in the Top 50. She may have been around tennis for all of her life, but that does not mean she is fit to be a commentator.
Yeah, I don't think anyone's saying that she doesn't know much about the sport itself (though her views might be slightly outdated, she rambles on about "power" as if it became a part of tennis yesterday). She just doesn't know much about the players.
Craig. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 05:36 AM   #39
country flag lupojohn
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future lupojohn has a brilliant future

Quote:
But McKendry's job is not to be a tennis expert, it's to be a host, which she does well at. Yes, she may flub names a lot and she tends to look plastic, but I still think she could get through a match without saying something as stupid as the things Evert says. To present yourself to the audience as an expert, which is assumed of a commentator, and say that the way to beat Maria Sharapova is to hit short balls or to say that a player who has made two slam semis has never play on a center court is ridiculous.
I'm not interested in her role. I'm interested in how she does her job. She's poor. I prefer Hannah Storm to her. The best host is Chris Fowler, but with Dick retiring from tennis, he has to fill Dick's spot as a play-by-play guy. Rinaldi is pretty bad, too.
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 05:37 AM   #40
country flag TheDream

TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

what a dumbass post. navratilova said today she was looking forward to the aga and ivanovic match because of contrasting styles and they play two totally different game's. so, who's analysis should we follow
TheDream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 05:38 AM   #41
country flag lupojohn
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dybbuk View Post
Ok. Let's see. She thinks Ana and Aga play similar games. She has said before that a letcord winner was a dropshot. She picked Tatishvili as the dark horse of the tournament (She lost to Morita 1r). She just called Sveta a "serve and volleyer." And this is truly just the tip of the iceberg. Calling her ignorant would be a nice way to describe her.
I don't know if you have a Twitter, but @ovafanboy says he wants you to stalk him. Don't know if he's being sarcastic or what, but thought i'd let you know.
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 05:42 AM   #42
country flag Julian.
Keep calm and be gay.

Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute

She is hilare

• Maria Sharapova • Dominika Cibulkova • Ksenia Pervak • Eugenie Bouchard •
• Andy Roddick • Mikhail Youzhny • Grigor Dimitrov • Novak Djokovic •
tumblr. • graphics thread •
Julian. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 05:43 AM   #43
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDream View Post
what a dumbass post. navratilova said today she was looking forward to the aga and ivanovic match because of contrasting styles and they play two totally different game's. so, who's analysis should we follow
Pick one. Just not your own. Both of them know light-years more than you. The fact that they disagree doesn't make YOU anymore knowledgeable.
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 05:44 AM   #44
country flag Hurley
Enemy of Art

Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't know if you have a Twitter, but @ovafanboy says he wants you to stalk him. Don't know if he's being sarcastic or what, but thought i'd let you know.
omg that sounds scary, dybbuk. He sounds scary.
http://thetenniscult.mirrorz.com's company tooooooooooo

I am on der Tvitter, accumulating haters. http://twitter.com/#!/Hurley_LLC
Hurley is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 05:45 AM   #45
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

NOTE: BJK and Arthur Ashe were my tennis heroes. I hated when Evert supplanted BJK. But Chris Evert had more influence on the on-court-game of women's tennis than any other player in history. She MADE women's tennis a baseline game. (Not a virtue, but a reality.) She's an Authority. Haters gonna hate, but they gotta know that's all they got.
Sorry but this post is ridiculous. You are talking about Chris the tennis player and Chris the commentator. These are two completely different jobs and two completely different people. Just because you know how to play tennis and are a really good player that doesn't mean you can comment on the game when you're not involved in it and when you clearly haven't done the research on the players you're commenting on. I love Chris as a player and as a commentator but there's nothing wrong with admitting that she's wrong and that she's funny. That's part of her charm. Pretending as if she is some God who knows everything and is never wrong makes you look blind and uninformed. Funny that.

Quote:
Precisely. I just think she hasn't done her research on these players or taken the time to actually watch matches they've played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDream View Post
Yes, basically.

Pas de Quatre: Swan Lake, Giselle, The Nutcracker, Copp้lia
Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote