Is Sloane Stephens the most popular American in the WTA? - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 21st, 2013, 06:04 AM   #61
country flag Singleniacki
~*Princess Karolina*~

Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Sloane Stephens the most popular American in the WTA?

She won't be liked here if she makes it big with her current game.

Tf hates pushers.

Old Jan 21st, 2013, 06:07 AM   #62
country flag shoparound

shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future

When melanie made it to the QF there was a boatload of haters (all Sharapova fans pretty much). It will be interesting what the reaction of Sloane's success will be.
What if she beats Serena?
shoparound is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 06:11 AM   #63
country flag Morrissey

Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnomyBC View Post
Yeah, she's like a 3rd Williams sister for people who are tired of Serena and want to root for a new Williams sister who's like an underdog and maybe has a better personality. And plus I think she reminds people of Michael Jackson when he was still black and wasn't so obviously weird (and was alive). But for me the one who has a special place in my heart will always be Harkleroad
I think some people like Sloane because she's good but I also think it is kind like those people who claim to be fans of Chanda Rubin and not the Williams Sisters.

I think some people are going to support Sloane but hope she doesn't get to the Williams Sisters level.

Rubin, also African American was a solid top 15 occasional top 10 player but her problem was her game wasn't powerful, consistent or explosive as the Williams Sisters.
Morrissey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 06:18 AM   #64
country flag Temperenka
V-I-K-A

Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute

Sloane's personality is an interesting contrast to those of Serena and Venus. I, and many others, seem to quite enjoy her humor and youthfulness. However, she is not nearly as popular as the Williams sisters, at least at this stage in her career. Serena and Venus are very well-respected in the U.S. and have long been household names.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 06:21 AM   #65
country flag Morrissey

Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold

Sloane has a lot to prove still she is finally making some progress on the promise and her potential. Sloane is starting to get more consistent in her results and this is the reason she's risen into the WTA top 20. The next goal for Sloane though is to continue improving her game her second serve needs work and so does her backhand. But for a nineteen year old the first American teenager since either Venus or Serena to crack the WTA top 20 this is a big deal.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 06:21 AM   #66
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

For now, yes, she is lovely and likable.

However, when and if she starts winning titles and beating some favorites on this TF, or not behaving the way others have "prescibed" and exptected her to behave, she will develop her own horde of detractors, or haters.

WE all know the attributes that have been used towards Venus and Serena, people would just transfer those to Stephens, w/o missing a beat.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 06:24 AM   #67
country flag Morrissey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post

However, when and if she starts winning titles and beating some favorites on this TF, or not behaving the way others have "prescibed" and exptected her to behave, she will develop her own horde of detractors, or haters.

WE all know the attributes that have been used towards Venus and Serena, people would just transfer those to Stephens, w/o missing a beat.
Well this is the thing, I hope Sloane Stephens mother and her support system are there for this girl. Sloane must remember, she's a young black woman competing and succeeding in a predominately white sport. Zina Garrison, Lori McNeil, and the Williams Sisters all were attacked by the white media and tennis commentators in America.

Zina Garrison also sued the USTA for racism. And recently Taylor Townsend's problems with racism, the USTA and Patrick McEnroe were blasted all over the American media. So, if even a younger girl than Sloane, Taylor Townsend has to deal with racism she better get ready and prepared for it.

So Sloane, better get ready, she's the new girl on the block but if she starts to really make a mark and become a force in the women's tennis don't be surprised when the racism emerges out of the woodwork.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 07:14 AM   #68
country flag Sally Todd

Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute

I think Sloane has the potential to be a marvelous clay court player and eventually a Roland Garros contender/champion. For that alone she's refreshing because clay has been anathema to US tennis for far far too long.

Sloane is interesting, a work in progress. Her court positioning on hard courts reminds me of Nadal early in his career. Whereas there are a fair amount of men on the ATP tour who could take advantage of that and consistently smack winners, in the WTA right now...uh, not so much.
Sally Todd is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 07:21 AM   #69
country flag Simugna Help

Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

WTF

So Wozniacki or Radwanska or Sharapova haters are black people being racist?
Simugna Help is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 07:27 AM   #70
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aselto View Post
WTF

So Wozniacki or Radwanska or Sharapova haters are black people being racist?
I beg your pardon, I don't know how you drew that conclusion

Old Jan 21st, 2013, 07:28 AM   #71
country flag chingching

chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind her comments I thought the "disrespectful" one was a bit much but that was said privately to her coach

Kaia hit 24 Aces (the WTA record) vs Safarova Tokyo Round 1 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
The Chernobyl mutant is in her element within China's waste and pollution.
chingching is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 07:28 AM   #72
country flag Samsuin

Samsuin is a name known to all Samsuin is a name known to all Samsuin is a name known to all Samsuin is a name known to all Samsuin is a name known to all Samsuin is a name known to all Samsuin is a name known to all Samsuin is a name known to all Samsuin is a name known to all Samsuin is a name known to all Samsuin is a name known to all

No doubt that the william sisters are way more popular.
Samsuin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 07:31 AM   #73
country flag Simugna Help

Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't know how you drew that conclusion?
There's only two things Stephens has in common with WS - being American and being black. Playstyle- and personality-wise she's completely different. So if she supposedly inherits people's attitude towards her, why would that be?

So conversely, white players should be hated for the same reasons, no?
Simugna Help is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 07:35 AM   #74
country flag tennisbum79

Quote:
Originally Posted by aselto View Post
There's only two things Stephens has in common with WS - being American and being black. Playstyle- and personality-wise she's completely different. So if she supposedly inherits people's attitude towards her, why would that be?

So conversely, white players should be hated for the same reasons, no?
I will let you answer your own question, for I don't have an answer for you.

Old Jan 21st, 2013, 09:02 AM   #75
country flag blackandblue

blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temperenka View Post
Sloane's personality is an interesting contrast to those of Serena and Venus. I, and many others, seem to quite enjoy her humor and youthfulness. However, she is not nearly as popular as the Williams sisters, at least at this stage in her career. Serena and Venus are very well-respected in the U.S. and have long been household names.

The Williams sisters' personalities are nothing alike though.
blackandblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote