My top ten from week one of the open... enjoy - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 19th, 2013, 06:40 AM   #1
country flag kittyking

kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute
My top ten from week one of the open... enjoy

As has became the normal at these sort of events, here are my official top 10 players from week one of the open... enjoy

10. Laura Robson

In my opinion the best British player, and a big hope for the future. Good fighting qualities, although plays the occasional 'interesting' (aka what-were-you-thinking!) shot. And there is something unusual about her left foot, has anyone else noticed it? She's currently down 5-6 against Sloane Stephens, if she wins this match I may have put her higher up the list.

9. Flipper Flipkens

Adonkable, and you can't help but love this girl. A fantastic junior back in the day, hasn't ever really done much on the tour - but she gives it a good go, credit where it's deserved

8. Na Li

Done what she's had too to get through, hasn't lost a set so far. On her day she's a very dangerous player, and I would love it if she could win another slam. A dark horse, as usual.

7. Madison Keys

One to look out for in the future, I really rate this girl. Goes for winners off both sides, will only improve with more time on the WTA tour.

6. Jamie Hampton

Such a shame about her back problem. Love to watch this girl, and if she doesn't make the top 20 within three years I'm willing to kiss a toad. Total sweetheart, hope she returns to Auckland next year. The future of American tennis is bright so long as she remains injury free.

5. Svetlana Kuznetsova

You have to admire her, she is getting older and her shots aren't as good as they used to be... but she can always pull out a surprise as she has done this week. No one believes she will win another grand slam, except perhaps herself. A very dangerous dark horse.

4. Agnieszka Radwanska

I still can't spell her name, but you might as well call her future grand slam champion. Unbeaten this year, yet to lose a set this year and playing very well in Melbourne so far. Her major weapon is her brain, and perhaps killing opponents with kindness. Unfortunately she needs more than that to challenge Serena or Maria.

3. Queen Kimiko Date-Krumm

Would probably have made this list regardless of how she performed this week, she is a legend particularly in Asia. Won two matches already, and playing a third shortly. I'm surprised that she hasn't got involved with politics yet, she is a great role model, very good speaker and appears very confident. Oh yea, and a damn good tennis player!

2. Maria Sharapova

The princess off court and monster on court. Playing simply unbelievably, nearly back to her best and if Serena loses a leg or faints from heatstroke then she could definatly win this title

1. Serena Williams

Forget 007, what about 207! As much as I love to hate her, she's creaming everyone. So long as she stays awake in the second week, and isn't kidnapped or anything... she's already got one hand on the trophy.
Advertisement

Old Jan 19th, 2013, 07:32 AM   #2
country flag PMBH

PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future PMBH has a brilliant future
Re: My top ten from week one of the open... enjoy

Good list. But I would have put Stephens on instead of Robson, and Maria ahead of Serena.
PMBH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #3
country flag Boxuan

Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of

1. American Teens
I'm really impressed by Hampton today. This AO could be remembered as when a new generation of American tennis girls finally starts to flourish, Stephens, Keys and Hampton all have so bright future.

2. Date Kimiko
What a legend! I just hope more great players would follow her example to stay in the tour as long as they can.

3. Russian Brigade
5 Russian ladies made R4, 5/16, when was the last time they did that? Those 5 all born between 85-88 perfectly represent the middle force of the tour right now.

ps: Turns out Jamie Hampton is no longer qualified as a teenager, maybe I noticed her a little bit too late

·┏┻━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓
┏┛李娜┣┫·科娃┣┫·郑洁┣┫·伊万┣┫·彭帅┣┫·杨科┃
┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛

Last edited by Boxuan : Jan 19th, 2013 at 11:00 AM.
Boxuan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #4
country flag kittyking

kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMBH View Post
Good list. But I would have put Stephens on instead of Robson, and Maria ahead of Serena.
I would have had Stephens quite likely at 11, and yea it's a bit of a toss up for first. Her career best serving (at least in terms of pace) puts her on top. Some guys would be freaked at receiving a 207kph serve!!!
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #5
country flag kittyking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake Ramoray View Post
1. American Teens
I'm really impressed by Hampton today. This AO could be remembered as when a new generation of American tennis girls finally starts to flourish, Stephens, Keys and Hampton all have so bright future.

2. Date Kimiko
What a legend! I just hope more great players would follow her example to stay in the tour as long as they can.

3. Russian Brigade
5 Russian ladies made R4, 5/16, when was the last time they did that? Those 5 all born between 85-88 perfectly represent the middle force of the tour right now.

ps: Turns out Jamie Hampton is no longer qualified as a teenager, maybe I noticed her a little bit too late
How old is Jamie again? She certainly looks young!
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 11:31 PM   #6
Evan James

Evan James has a reputation beyond repute Evan James has a reputation beyond repute Evan James has a reputation beyond repute Evan James has a reputation beyond repute Evan James has a reputation beyond repute Evan James has a reputation beyond repute Evan James has a reputation beyond repute Evan James has a reputation beyond repute Evan James has a reputation beyond repute Evan James has a reputation beyond repute Evan James has a reputation beyond repute

I love the fact USA has very bright future in WTA! So many young and talented players, I can't even remember all of them.
Highest ranking: #1 Current ranking: #11
2005: Canberra 2006: Montreal 2007: Berlin, Los Angeles, Luxembourg 2008: Indian Wells, Roland Garros, Linz 2010: Linz, Bali 2011: Bali
2014: Auckland, Monterrey, Birmingham
Evan James is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 01:10 AM   #7
country flag randy72391

randy72391 has a reputation beyond repute randy72391 has a reputation beyond repute randy72391 has a reputation beyond repute randy72391 has a reputation beyond repute randy72391 has a reputation beyond repute randy72391 has a reputation beyond repute randy72391 has a reputation beyond repute randy72391 has a reputation beyond repute randy72391 has a reputation beyond repute randy72391 has a reputation beyond repute randy72391 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyking View Post
she's 23
randy72391 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 05:16 AM   #8
country flag Boxuan

Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Jamie Lee Hampton (born January 8, 1990 in Frankfurt, West Germany)

I didn't know she's already 23 either

Old Jan 20th, 2013, 05:20 AM   #9
country flag Boxuan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Daniel View Post
I love the fact USA has very bright future in WTA! So many young and talented players, I can't even remember all of them.
If you're laughing at the last few over-hyped American girls like Oudin, Vandeweghe, McHale..., I'm pretty sure the new trio looks much more like the real deal

Old Jan 20th, 2013, 06:28 AM   #10
country flag Manitou

Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future

Today as of 1/19/13 after Maria's match:

1. Maria - is she crazy????!!!!
Jamie Hampton and Sloane Stevens
Date Krumm

Outside Poland: Simona and Elina
Manitou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 08:50 PM   #11
country flag kittyking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitou View Post
Today as of 1/19/13 after Maria's match:

1. Maria - is she crazy????!!!!
Jamie Hampton and Sloane Stevens
Date Krumm
No mention of Serena?
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 08:54 PM   #12
country flag Roookie

Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

2. Serena Williams

Forget 007, what about 207! As much as I love to hate her, she's creaming everyone. So long as she stays awake in the second week, and isn't kidnapped or anything... she's already got one hand on the trophy.

1. Maria Sharapova

The princess off court and monster on court. Playing simply unbelievably, nearly back to her best and if Serena loses a leg or faints from heatstroke then she could definatly win this title

Corrected. Maria has lost less games and has faced tougher competition.
Roookie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 08:57 PM   #13
Olórin

Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roookie View Post
Corrected. Maria has lost less games and has faced tougher competition.
Bitter and bothered by Queen Rena as usual. Can't even stand others having an opinion contrary to yours. Sad.
Olórin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 09:09 PM   #14
country flag BillFromRichmond

BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of

Quote:
As has became the normal at these sort of events, here are my official top 10 players from week one of the open... enjoy

10. Laura Robson

In my opinion the best British player, and a big hope for the future. Good fighting qualities, although plays the occasional 'interesting' (aka what-were-you-thinking!) shot. And there is something unusual about her left foot, has anyone else noticed it? She's currently down 5-6 against Sloane Stephens, if she wins this match I may have put her higher up the list.

9. Flipper Flipkens

Adonkable, and you can't help but love this girl. A fantastic junior back in the day, hasn't ever really done much on the tour - but she gives it a good go, credit where it's deserved

8. Na Li

Done what she's had too to get through, hasn't lost a set so far. On her day she's a very dangerous player, and I would love it if she could win another slam. A dark horse, as usual.

7. Madison Keys

One to look out for in the future, I really rate this girl. Goes for winners off both sides, will only improve with more time on the WTA tour.

6. Jamie Hampton

Such a shame about her back problem. Love to watch this girl, and if she doesn't make the top 20 within three years I'm willing to kiss a toad. Total sweetheart, hope she returns to Auckland next year. The future of American tennis is bright so long as she remains injury free.

5. Svetlana Kuznetsova

You have to admire her, she is getting older and her shots aren't as good as they used to be... but she can always pull out a surprise as she has done this week. No one believes she will win another grand slam, except perhaps herself. A very dangerous dark horse.

4. Agnieszka Radwanska

I still can't spell her name, but you might as well call her future grand slam champion. Unbeaten this year, yet to lose a set this year and playing very well in Melbourne so far. Her major weapon is her brain, and perhaps killing opponents with kindness. Unfortunately she needs more than that to challenge Serena or Maria.

3. Queen Kimiko Date-Krumm

Would probably have made this list regardless of how she performed this week, she is a legend particularly in Asia. Won two matches already, and playing a third shortly. I'm surprised that she hasn't got involved with politics yet, she is a great role model, very good speaker and appears very confident. Oh yea, and a damn good tennis player!

2. Maria Sharapova

1. Serena Williams

We're entitled to our opinions, but I feel that Kimiko Date doesn't belong on this list. Anyone can have a couple of lucky wins, but she had no pedigree coming into this tournament as she has barely won a WTA match the first 10 months of 2012 and her ranking dropped by 100 spots in two years. Beating a similar free falling Shahar Peer to get to round 3 is no great accomplishment.

Elena Vesnina who is won her first tournament last week and has backed it up by getting past round 3 to now play Azarenka, or Ekaterina Makarova, who is backing up last year's quarterfinal performance with another quarterfinal, beating TWO seeds along the way are much more deserving of being on this list.
BillFromRichmond is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 10:23 PM   #15
country flag Manitou

Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future

Quote:
No mention of Serena?
She is just doing her usual job, so no surprise here

-

Outside Poland: Simona and Elina
Manitou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote