How far can Kimiko Date go? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 15th, 2013, 01:30 PM   #1
country flag Navratil

Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future
How far can Kimiko Date go?

1st round she beat 12th seed Petrova 6-2 6-0

2nd round vs Peer (1-8 in last 8 tournaments)

3rd round vs 17th seed Safarova (or Jovanowski)

4th round vs Kvitova? Robson?

OF ?

Well, she never got beyond the 2nd round of a major since her comeback...
Navratil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 15th, 2013, 01:33 PM   #2
country flag Navratil

Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future
Re: How far can Kimiko Date go?

WTA

MELBOURNE, Australia - History was made in Melbourne on Tuesday, as Kimiko Date-Krumm became the oldest player ever to win a round at the Australian Open, and it was a big win, too.

Defying a ranking gap of 88 spots, the No.100-ranked Date-Krumm outsteadied World No.12 Nadia Petrova over the course of 64 minutes over on Court 6, her consistent ground game producing 17 winners to 18 errors while Petrova went awry with nine winners to 38 unforced. Date-Krumm won, 62 60.

It was Date-Krumm's ninth Top 20 win since coming out of retirement in 2008, but her first eight all came in 2010 - that year she became the first 40-something to beat a Top 10 player, over Sam Stosur.

"I've been playing Grand Slams many times since I came back, but I always have a tough draw," Date-Krumm said. "Almost every time I play a seeded player - many times I almost beat them, and I lost many times too. This time when I saw the draw, I thought to myself, 'It's happening again.'

"But this time I was feeling very good. My tennis wasn't so bad. I felt like even if I lost today, it would be an interesting match to play today. So I'm very happy about the win today, of course."

At 42 years and 109 days, Date-Krumm is the oldest player ever to win a round at the Australian Open, and is the fifth-oldest player ever to win a round at any Grand Slam - the oldest player ever to win a match at any major was Martina Navratilova, who was 47 years and 235 days at Wimbledon in 2004.

And what's the secret to the former World No.4's longevity? "When I stopped playing in 1996, I never thought I would come back on tour - in 1993, 1994, 1995 and 1996, I didn't like it so much," she said. "But now I like tennis. I like practice. I like matches. I like the tour. I'm really enjoying it a lot.

"Playing at this age is really nothing. I eat a lot, I sleep a lot - last night I was in the bed before 10:00. I finished dinner at 7:30 already, then sleep before 10:00 like the kids! Because after practice or after matches I'm always tired, so I just need to recover more. It's a simple life. Nothing special.

"Of course I'm very happy to win today, but I don't play for records. Even if I lose, I still enjoy it."

Does she think the current top players can play into their 40s? "I don't think so," she explained, "I had 12 years' break, but they continue to play. Sharapova started when she was 16 and hasn't stopped."

Date-Krumm's best result at the Australian Open was the semifinals in 1994, falling to Steffi Graf.

Petrova had a phenomenal finish to 2012, winning the 12th and biggest WTA title of her career at Tokyo [Pan Pacific] and following it up with her 13th WTA title in Sofia in the last week of the season.
Navratil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #3
country flag MaSharp

MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future MaSharp has a brilliant future

Kimiko Is so great! I love her and her attitude. She has pretty good draw and if she continue playing well, she can reach 4th round! I hope she will, this would be historical.

2004 2006 2008 2012 2014

Giorgi | Konjuh
MaSharp is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 01:38 PM   #4
country flag kusiak

kusiak has much to be proud of kusiak has much to be proud of kusiak has much to be proud of kusiak has much to be proud of kusiak has much to be proud of kusiak has much to be proud of kusiak has much to be proud of kusiak has much to be proud of kusiak has much to be proud of kusiak has much to be proud of kusiak has much to be proud of

She should beat Peer with her current form, but you never now with her age. She seems to be fit but in one moment she can get tired. If not even QF is possible. Wish her all the best.

AGA - FUTURE SLAM CHAMP AND WORLD NUMBER ONE

SERENA WILLIAMS - GOAT
kusiak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 01:45 PM   #5
ElusiveChanteuse

ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute

4th round even QF is definitely possible. Go Kimiko! Ganbate!
ElusiveChanteuse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 01:49 PM   #6
country flag Shvedbarilescu
Everybody's a star!!!

Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute

One match at a time. I'm pretty hopeful she can beat Peer and after that anything else is just an incredible bonus.
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 01:51 PM   #7
country flag sandv1

sandv1 is a splendid one to behold sandv1 is a splendid one to behold sandv1 is a splendid one to behold sandv1 is a splendid one to behold sandv1 is a splendid one to behold sandv1 is a splendid one to behold sandv1 is a splendid one to behold sandv1 is a splendid one to behold sandv1 is a splendid one to behold sandv1 is a splendid one to behold sandv1 is a splendid one to behold

I'm by no means an expert on her form, but I seriously doubt that she gets into the 2nd week. I'm glad that she's still on tour; she does seem solid though e.g. consistent, good fundamentals, etc. I'm just not sure that she has enough weaponry to go much further in the MD.

I managed to see/hear one of her matches in-person from a distance (roughly when watching Lexy vs. Misa maybe?) I was watching them all at one of the last tourneys in L.A. a few years back.
sandv1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #8
country flag Vartan

Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute

She is definitely in R3 already. I hope she can reach the QF.

Vartan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 01:53 PM   #9
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute

3rd round is a doable goal, the others i agree are just bonuses.
dencod16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 01:59 PM   #10
country flag MollyVolley

MollyVolley is just really nice MollyVolley is just really nice MollyVolley is just really nice MollyVolley is just really nice MollyVolley is just really nice MollyVolley is just really nice MollyVolley is just really nice MollyVolley is just really nice MollyVolley is just really nice MollyVolley is just really nice MollyVolley is just really nice

I hope she can at least beat peer. If she loses to peer, i will probably cry to death.
MollyVolley is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #11
country flag Viennalover

Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navratil View Post
1st round she beat 12th seed Petrova 6-2 6-0
2nd round vs Peer (1-8 in last 8 tournaments)
3rd round vs 17th seed Safarova (or Jovanowski)
4th round vs Kvitova? Robson?
OF ?

Well, she never got beyond the 2nd round of a major since her comeback...
My dream is to see QF with Serena
but I actually have a bad feeling about 2R with Peer cause Heat wave's gonna hit on Thursday
and we will have temperature like 40c...

In extreme hot weather, Peer might has some advantage even if she's so out of form....
How long 42yo can play in such a hot weather is mystery...

And thanks to AO tournament organizer, they set her doubles 1R tomorrow....
Viennalover is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 02:13 PM   #12
country flag Mateo Mathieu
Aliasholic

Mateo Mathieu has a reputation beyond repute Mateo Mathieu has a reputation beyond repute Mateo Mathieu has a reputation beyond repute Mateo Mathieu has a reputation beyond repute Mateo Mathieu has a reputation beyond repute Mateo Mathieu has a reputation beyond repute Mateo Mathieu has a reputation beyond repute Mateo Mathieu has a reputation beyond repute Mateo Mathieu has a reputation beyond repute Mateo Mathieu has a reputation beyond repute Mateo Mathieu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viennalover View Post
My dream is to see QF with Serena
but I actually have a bad feeling about 2R with Peer cause Heat wave's gonna hit on Thursday
and we will have temperature like 40c...

In extreme hot weather, Peer might has some advantage even if she's so out of form....
How long 42yo can play in such a hot weather is mystery...

And thanks to AO tournament organizer, they set her doubles 1R tomorrow....
We had heatwave for a few days in Sydney last week where she won 4 matches

♦︎ ♦︎ ♦︎ ♦︎ ♦︎ ♦︎ ♦︎ ♦︎ ♦︎ ♦︎ ♦︎ ♦︎

Mateo Mathieu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 02:27 PM   #13
country flag Viennalover

Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattographer View Post
We had heatwave for a few days in Sydney last week where she won 4 matches
Yeah but 3matches at Q and 1R was around 30C...
Only match that we had 40C is 2R with Aga and Kimiko didin't play well...

Not sure Peer has a heat endurance but she's from Israel
and her play style will make the match pretty long...
Viennalover is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #14
country flag GoofyDuck

GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute

I beg her to beat Peer

Jelena Jankovic - Vera Zvonareva - Zhang Shuai - Duan Ying-Ying - Venus Williams - Petra Kvitova - Zheng Jie - Li Na - Serena Williams - Peng Shuai - Hsieh Su-Wei
GoofyDuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 02:56 PM   #15
country flag bobito
Tennis 'toonist

bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute

bobito is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote