Is Venus tarnishing her legacy? - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 18th, 2013, 11:44 PM   #31
country flag Samsuin

Samsuin is a name known to all Samsuin is a name known to all Samsuin is a name known to all Samsuin is a name known to all Samsuin is a name known to all Samsuin is a name known to all Samsuin is a name known to all Samsuin is a name known to all Samsuin is a name known to all Samsuin is a name known to all Samsuin is a name known to all
Re: Is Venus tarnishing her legacy?

No, as long as she has fun, she should go on playing tennis. Nobody can take the wins she had away from her.
Samsuin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 18th, 2013, 11:45 PM   #32
country flag Vincey!

Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakarovaFan View Post
I thought this same thing last year after the Wimbledon debacle and the start of the Kerber USO match......but i can see things from each perspective, however........

Let's not forgot how badly Jankovic gets treated around here(and she is actually ranked higher) or how sad things looked towards the end of Mauresmo's great career! So i ask all these 'it's her career/once a GS champ always a GS champ' advocates.....if Venus becomes another middling 30-40 ranged player ala Hantuchova and gets routed 8/10 times by top players, would you really wanna see Venus be subject to that over the next 3 years until Rio? Losing and struggling to the likes of Vesnina,Johannson and Scheepers; going 2-1-3-2 in the Majors and OG's; barely getting 5 games against the top players.

I say play out another season and see how it looks. She has proven that's she won't let this defeat her, she has come back into the top 25 and even won a title and beaten a few top 10 players and she has given it a full year......having pride and respect doesn't mean you need to be stubborn and naive. With tha being said, the form she had against Galina in Rd1 was certainly encouraging!
The question is not whether we want to see her struggling where she used to excel but if her level of play who's not as high as before would diminish her past accomplishments and legacy...which is clearly no. Nobody thinks that Mauresmo is not a GS winner anymore. People can want her to retire for obvious reason but it doesn't mean she's less of the great champion that she is. Many posters have said it already, it's Venus right to keep on wanting to play and work her butt off to try to still give her best on court when she could easily simply quit single and live a happy life in Florida, playing double with Serena whenever she feels like it. I think what she's doing is to be respected even if she never make it to the top 15 again.

"You're wasting your time,Go home and have a beer!" - Maria Sharapova-
Vincey! is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #33
country flag DemWilliamsGulls

DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute

Venus really does not have anything to prove...she's done enough in my opinion. I just think at some point you should realize that ...its time to go on ahead and GO ON AHEAD. Venus is 32, has a illness and hasn't been consistent in the past 3 or 4 years...ITS TIME. I think she's only staying in the game because Serena does not want to be in the tour alone. Thats how much she loves her sister. If anything, she's ruining her head to head record with some people but not tarnishing her legacy. She's already made history..people will remember her accomplishments not the games she's been losing late in her career.

Last edited by DemWilliamsGulls : Jan 18th, 2013 at 11:59 PM.
DemWilliamsGulls is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #34
country flag KournikovaFan91
*Sesil*

KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute

No, Venus must actually like playing so I applaud her for still playing. For Venus it's probably just a paid hobby nowadays.
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 11:55 PM   #35
beecharmer

beecharmer is just really nice beecharmer is just really nice beecharmer is just really nice beecharmer is just really nice beecharmer is just really nice beecharmer is just really nice beecharmer is just really nice beecharmer is just really nice beecharmer is just really nice beecharmer is just really nice beecharmer is just really nice

She could never tarnish her legacy. It's in permanent ink. That being said, I could see this year's US Open being her curtain call if she suffers a serious injury or she can't return to the Top 10. She is clearly in the Top 10 right now performance wise though, IMO.
beecharmer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #36
MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincey! View Post
The question is not whether we want to see her struggling where she used to excel but if her level of play who's not as high as before would diminish her past accomplishments and legacy...which is clearly no. Nobody thinks that Mauresmo is not a GS winner anymore. People can want her to retire for obvious reason but it doesn't mean she's less of the great champion that she is. Many posters have said it already, it's Venus right to keep on wanting to play and work her butt off to try to still give her best on court when she could easily simply quit single and live a happy life in Florida, playing double with Serena whenever she feels like it. I think what she's doing is to be respected even if she never make it to the top 15 again.
You may not have been around but the last days of Mauresmo were dire and not only on here but even commentators and journalists wouldn't even think twice when she was in a draw and Mauresmo, unlike Venus , called it quits within 2 years of her decline....Venus is adamantly holding on until 2016 Rio Games, that's 4 years!! Arantxa Sanchez is another one, she wouldn't give up but her last days were baddddd(Taylor,Husarova,Marerro,Wartusch )....not giving up is great but there is a saying if over staying your welcome.

It's admirable to fight and hang around a year or two ,working your butt off and tying your best but 2016 is faaaar away.
New Breed: Maria,Anastasia Myskina,Nicole,Ana,Tatiana Golovin,Jelena J,Iveta Benesova,Olga Poutchkova,Camille Pin,Maria Kirilenko,Alonya Bondarenko,Meilen Tu,Sania Mirza,Rezai,Ashley H,Tataina Poutchek,Sandra Kloesel,Klara Z,Mirjana Lucic,Dominka Cibulkova,Emauelle Gagliardi,Jelena Kostanic,Iroda,Martina Sucha,Raluca Olaru,Kveta,Marta D,Bethanie,Bychkova

Lilia Osterloh,Viktoriya Kutuzova,Yurika Sema,Anastasia Pivavrova(?),Stanislava Hrozenska,Marie-Eve,Zsofia,Angelika Roesch,Sunitha Rao,Anne Keothavang,Olivia Sanchez,Angela Haynes,Alex S,Jelena Dokic,Rosana De Los Rios,Kristina Brandi,Eva Fislova,Lindsay Lee

Elena Makarova,Anna K, Capriati,Lindsay,Henrieta Nagyova,Anca Barna,Petra Mandula,Jana Kandarr,
MakarovaFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 12:04 AM   #37
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute

Does losing everywhere after 1984 tarnish McEnroe's legacy? Or do people still remember him as a great champion?

The only way to tarnish her legacy is to dope and lie, or kill someone.
Putintseva #1 player

MakarovaLisickiBarthelBeckTwinPliskovasSmitkovaPervakGavrilovaTownsendAllertovaAbandaPuchkova

Last edited by Tennis Fool : Jan 19th, 2013 at 12:11 AM.
Tennis Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 12:05 AM   #38
country flag Vincey!

Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakarovaFan View Post
You may not have been around but the last days of Mauresmo were dire and not only on here but even commentators and journalists wouldn't even think twice when she was in a draw and Mauresmo, unlike Venus , called it quits within 2 years of her decline....Venus is adamantly holding on until 2016 Rio Games, that's 4 years!! Arantxa Sanchez is another one, she wouldn't give up but her last days were baddddd(Taylor,Husarova,Marerro,Wartusch )....not giving up is great but there is a saying if over staying your welcome.

It's admirable to fight and hang around a year or two ,working your butt off and tying your best but 2016 is faaaar away.
I know what you mean, that by the end of their career they might not be considered a threat or potential winner but it still doesn't take away their past victories. If you consider her legacy has being what people think of her chances are RIGHT NOW against the top player, than yes she might be "tarnishing" it. In my book tho, her legacy is more like her past achievements which are never going to be denied or erased.

"You're wasting your time,Go home and have a beer!" - Maria Sharapova-
Vincey! is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 12:06 AM   #39
tennnisfannn

tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute

Which is worse, the no. 24 losing to the no. 2 1/6 3/6 or the saem number two losing to a a number 4 1/6 0/6 in a major final?
Secondly, Tiger wood's career is tarnished not by his run of losses but his personal issues- ditto for Lance Armstrong.
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 12:09 AM   #40
country flag winone23

winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemWilliamsGulls View Post
Venus really does not have anything to prove...she's done enough in my opinion. I just think at some point you should realize that ...its time to go on ahead and GO ON AHEAD. Venus is 32, has a illness and hasn't been consistent in the past 3 or 4 years...ITS TIME. I think she's only staying in the game because Serena does not want to be in the tour alone. Thats how much she loves her sister. If anything, she's ruining her head to head record with some people but not tarnishing her legacy. She's already made history..people will remember her accomplishments not the games she's been losing late in her career.
No Venus stayed in the game because she said she still Loves the game.

Eleven, Jamba Juice, Miami Dolphins, V*Starr Interiors ,World Team Tennis
Veelieve! Venus will rise again 2014!
Taylor Townsend / Madison Keys
NY KNICKS / TEAM MELO
winone23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 12:09 AM   #41
country flag winone23

winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDream View Post
Venus is not a Clijsters, or Henin, Seles, etc. Players who left the game when the going got tough, even without a debilitating autoimmune disease and left the game much younger than 32. I applaud Lindsay Davenport as well, a player leaving the game at 32, realizing her very best tennis days were behind her but continuing to press on because she loved the game, even after giving birth to her first child. She only left the game for good when she got pregnant a second time, so that speaks of their resiliency.

I am sure that Sharapova, Azarenka, and most other players by the time they are 32 won't be the same player they were at 22, and their best days will be long gone. But, if they love the sport and love testing themselves, then why not?

It's a shame that a player trying to get back to top form with an autoimmune disease isn't getting respect, when her other contemporaries wouldn't have been close to being this resilient. Haven't we seen Hingis, Clijsters, Seles, Mauresmo, Henin, retire simply because they didn't want to put in the work to continue and/or just didn't enjoy the rigors of training and competition anymore? Not that I begrudge them for calling it quits, but you have to admit it speaks well of Venus character IMO. I believe every single one of those players, if diagnosed with an energy sapping autoimmune disease especially, would have dropped their rackets and never looked back.

Eleven, Jamba Juice, Miami Dolphins, V*Starr Interiors ,World Team Tennis
Veelieve! Venus will rise again 2014!
Taylor Townsend / Madison Keys
NY KNICKS / TEAM MELO
winone23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 12:12 AM   #42
country flag Samsuin

Samsuin is a name known to all Samsuin is a name known to all Samsuin is a name known to all Samsuin is a name known to all Samsuin is a name known to all Samsuin is a name known to all Samsuin is a name known to all Samsuin is a name known to all Samsuin is a name known to all Samsuin is a name known to all Samsuin is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by winone23 View Post
No Venus stayed in the game because she said she still Loves the game.
Don't understand how people can say that Venus should stop playing, although she says that she loves the game.
It's not only about winning Grand Slams.
And it's not like Venus wouldn't have good matches anymore.
Samsuin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 12:13 AM   #43
country flag kenjai7373

kenjai7373 is a glorious beacon of light kenjai7373 is a glorious beacon of light kenjai7373 is a glorious beacon of light kenjai7373 is a glorious beacon of light kenjai7373 is a glorious beacon of light kenjai7373 is a glorious beacon of light kenjai7373 is a glorious beacon of light kenjai7373 is a glorious beacon of light kenjai7373 is a glorious beacon of light kenjai7373 is a glorious beacon of light kenjai7373 is a glorious beacon of light

kudos to venus for continuing to play even with her medical condition. it is an inspiration for all. cant see how that tarnishes her legacy.
kenjai7373 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 12:40 AM   #44
country flag Leo St

Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute

suddenly gm is such a better place.. im grateful for the respect youre all showing towards venus, there was actually never a reason not to do so
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 12:47 AM   #45
Gentleman

Gentleman has a reputation beyond repute Gentleman has a reputation beyond repute Gentleman has a reputation beyond repute Gentleman has a reputation beyond repute Gentleman has a reputation beyond repute Gentleman has a reputation beyond repute Gentleman has a reputation beyond repute Gentleman has a reputation beyond repute Gentleman has a reputation beyond repute Gentleman has a reputation beyond repute Gentleman has a reputation beyond repute

Why? She is already a legend. As someone said, she is an inspiration for young generations. I hope she will play as long as her health and body can take with the pressure that every athlete faces on a daily basis...