Is Venus tarnishing her legacy? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 18th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #16
country flag Sir Stefwhit

Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Venus tarnishing her legacy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactsPlease View Post

And no: nobody is buying the whole sudden "immune disease" excuse (): not Richard, not Rena, and certainly not I.
and u are??

To put yourself in the same circle as her dad, mom, and sister implying that what u think makes a difference to her...

I would give a green rep just for making me laugh, but I've given too many out today....
The REAL GOAT Rafael Nadal
Future Inductees: Clijsters, C.Evert, A.Agassi, A.Berasategui, N. Zvereva, I.Majoli, M.Safin, Li Na, VIKA, and Del Potro
Sir Stefwhit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 18th, 2013, 10:11 PM   #17
country flag JoPova

JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future

She's doing what she loves the most and it doesn't really matter that she isn't as successful as she once was. She's still doing really well, given all the other circumstances (age, illness)

Novak Djokovic Roger Federer Tomas Berdych Juan Martin Del Potro Richard Gasquet
JoPova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 10:14 PM   #18
country flag dagamezbest

dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold

It will take alot to make Venus retire from singles. She loves the game too much. And I think she still has alot of room to imporve and will only go up from here for a while. In my opinion losses to likes of Sharapova she can deal with. Im waiting on the day she has to run into a hot Sloane Stepehens, Madison Keys or Robson and see how she copes with getting beaten soundly by girls coming up. Thats the day we will see Venus hang up her racquet.
dagamezbest is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 10:16 PM   #19
country flag Geertvg
Team WTAworld

Geertvg has a reputation beyond repute Geertvg has a reputation beyond repute Geertvg has a reputation beyond repute Geertvg has a reputation beyond repute Geertvg has a reputation beyond repute Geertvg has a reputation beyond repute Geertvg has a reputation beyond repute Geertvg has a reputation beyond repute Geertvg has a reputation beyond repute Geertvg has a reputation beyond repute Geertvg has a reputation beyond repute

Have you seen Sharapova's reaction? No. Beating Venus is one hell of an achievement, still. She's a champion and a class act, a great example and I for one am very happy she's still playing.

Last.fm
Geertvg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 10:17 PM   #20
country flag nevetssllim
Stanning for Andi

nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute

I fail to see how winning a third Olympic gold medal in doubles last year tarnishes her legacy (whatever that means).

Sam Smith on Hlavackova
Quote:
"I will now call her LP Hlavackova - low percentage Hlavackova. I hope she doesn't drive a car the way she drives her groundstrokes!"
nevetssllim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 10:17 PM   #21
country flag nelsondan

nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute

I am a fan of Maria, more than any other of the players. Very seldom, if at all, have I seen her dominate any player as she did Venus in the first set. It was because she was really on her game, not making mistakes to cost herself. I have seen Venus play much better. But given all that....when it was 4-1 in the second set, Maria was seemingly way overjoyed about making it 5-1. Criticized by the announcers. But if she had lost that game, making it 4-2, she went on to lose the next two, which would have made it 4-4....at that point, you do not know how it would have affected either player....I could understand maria's celebrating the 5-1 lead...she knows how dangerous Venus always is...

There is no reason for Venus to quit because of Maria being intense enough not to let her too far back into the match....Serena is always wary about letting Maria into any match...with great players like these, non stop intensity is mandatory.
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #22
country flag cn ireland

cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future

No way!!!

She is still a 7 time GS champion and still winning titles in doubles...

I think that she still loves the game after all these years improves her legacy.

Twitter: @NoelDoyle4
cn ireland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #23
country flag winone23

winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactsPlease View Post
YES.

It's not tarnishing her legacy. It's destroying it.

I'm close to thinking they should start retroactively revoking a Grand Slam title for each humiliating performance she turns in like the stinker against Maria.

You can't have one of your sport's supposed "all-time greats" getting her ass kicked around in public.

It's a disgrace to the game; it's a disgrace to Venus; it's a disgrace to the memory of her sister; and it's a disgrace to the Williams family.

I talked to Oracene a couple days ago and she is livid and disgusted at what Venus is doing.

And so, frankly, am I.

Start stripping her of some of those Wimbledon titles in order to push her into retirement and save herself.

And no: nobody is buying the whole sudden "immune disease" excuse (): not Richard, not Rena, and certainly not I.

What a disgusting post!!!! Venus can and will do whatever the hell she wants with her legacy. After all it's her legacy it's not Oracene, Richard Serena, or your legacy. Venus will NEVER EVER be a disgrace to her family. Unlike you vultures on this board Venus' family will continue to love and RESPECT her during her courageous battle to overcome Sjogrens' Syndrome.

Eleven, Jamba Juice, Miami Dolphins, V*Starr Interiors ,World Team Tennis
Veelieve! Venus will rise again 2014!
Taylor Townsend / Madison Keys
NY KNICKS / TEAM MELO
winone23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 10:20 PM   #24
country flag petkoan

petkoan has much to be proud of petkoan has much to be proud of petkoan has much to be proud of petkoan has much to be proud of petkoan has much to be proud of petkoan has much to be proud of petkoan has much to be proud of petkoan has much to be proud of petkoan has much to be proud of petkoan has much to be proud of petkoan has much to be proud of

no. once a seven-time-GS-champion, you are always a seven-time-GS-champion, regardless of how many more time you lose in the first week of the slams. no-one cares about the win-loss record.

in a way it reminds me of people saying hingis' legacy was tarnished by the cocaine scandal. was it? not really, no one cares as we can see. she is as celebrated as ever, so is Venus and her legacy.
petkoan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 10:20 PM   #25
country flag watchdogfish
Vide cor meum

watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute watchdogfish has a reputation beyond repute

Not at all. The fact she decided to continue with tennis despite being diagnosed with a debilitating disease, to go from being ranked outside the top 100 and finish the year in the top 25, shows admirable fight and strength of character imo. It's shown exactly what has made her a champion.
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 10:20 PM   #26
country flag winone23

winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
I prefer that she's out there challenging herself rather than running away when the competition got tough and you know you couldn't dominate like you used to. That's the mark of a champion and Venus is a champion. Keep going, Venus!
This!!!!

Eleven, Jamba Juice, Miami Dolphins, V*Starr Interiors ,World Team Tennis
Veelieve! Venus will rise again 2014!
Taylor Townsend / Madison Keys
NY KNICKS / TEAM MELO
winone23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #27
faboozadoo15

faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute

Losing to the #2 player is hardly embarrassing. She's rarely played well in Australia to begin with... She can still beat over half the players in the top 20. She can play as long as she wants.

I don't think any great layer tarnishes her legacy by playing on past their prime. The only player who came close to this would have been ASV, barely winning games against journeywomen at the end of her long career.
faboozadoo15 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #28
country flag TheDream

TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute TheDream has a reputation beyond repute

Venus is not a Clijsters, or Henin, Seles, etc. Players who left the game when the going got tough, even without a debilitating autoimmune disease and left the game much younger than 32. I applaud Lindsay Davenport as well, a player leaving the game at 32, realizing her very best tennis days were behind her but continuing to press on because she loved the game, even after giving birth to her first child. She only left the game for good when she got pregnant a second time, so that speaks of their resiliency.

I am sure that Sharapova, Azarenka, and most other players by the time they are 32 won't be the same player they were at 22, and their best days will be long gone. But, if they love the sport and love testing themselves, then why not?

It's a shame that a player trying to get back to top form with an autoimmune disease isn't getting respect, when her other contemporaries wouldn't have been close to being this resilient. Haven't we seen Hingis, Clijsters, Seles, Mauresmo, Henin, retire simply because they didn't want to put in the work to continue and/or just didn't enjoy the rigors of training and competition anymore? Not that I begrudge them for calling it quits, but you have to admit it speaks well of Venus character IMO. I believe every single one of those players, if diagnosed with an energy sapping autoimmune disease especially, would have dropped their rackets and never looked back.
TheDream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 10:33 PM   #29
MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future

I thought this same thing last year after the Wimbledon debacle and the start of the Kerber USO match......but i can see things from each perspective, however........

Let's not forgot how badly Jankovic gets treated around here(and she is actually ranked higher) or how sad things looked towards the end of Mauresmo's great career! So i ask all these 'it's her career/once a GS champ always a GS champ' advocates.....if Venus becomes another middling 30-40 ranged player ala Hantuchova and gets routed 8/10 times by top players, would you really wanna see Venus be subject to that over the next 3 years until Rio? Losing and struggling to the likes of Vesnina,Johannson and Scheepers; going 2-1-3-2 in the Majors and OG's; barely getting 5 games against the top players.

I say play out another season and see how it looks. She has proven that's she won't let this defeat her, she has come back into the top 25 and even won a title and beaten a few top 10 players and she has given it a full year......having pride and respect doesn't mean you need to be stubborn and naive. With tha being said, the form she had against Galina in Rd1 was certainly encouraging!
New Breed: Maria,Anastasia Myskina,Nicole,Ana,Tatiana Golovin,Jelena J,Iveta Benesova,Olga Poutchkova,Camille Pin,Maria Kirilenko,Alonya Bondarenko,Meilen Tu,Sania Mirza,Rezai,Ashley H,Tataina Poutchek,Sandra Kloesel,Klara Z,Mirjana Lucic,Dominka Cibulkova,Emauelle Gagliardi,Jelena Kostanic,Iroda,Martina Sucha,Raluca Olaru,Kveta,Marta D,Bethanie,Bychkova

Lilia Osterloh,Viktoriya Kutuzova,Yurika Sema,Anastasia Pivavrova(?),Stanislava Hrozenska,Marie-Eve,Zsofia,Angelika Roesch,Sunitha Rao,Anne Keothavang,Olivia Sanchez,Angela Haynes,Alex S,Jelena Dokic,Rosana De Los Rios,Kristina Brandi,Eva Fislova,Lindsay Lee

Elena Makarova,Anna K, Capriati,Lindsay,Henrieta Nagyova,Anca Barna,Petra Mandula,Jana Kandarr,
MakarovaFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 10:35 PM   #30
country flag KarlyM*

KarlyM* is a splendid one to behold KarlyM* is a splendid one to behold KarlyM* is a splendid one to behold KarlyM* is a splendid one to behold KarlyM* is a splendid one to behold KarlyM* is a splendid one to behold KarlyM* is a splendid one to behold KarlyM* is a splendid one to behold KarlyM* is a splendid one to behold KarlyM* is a splendid one to behold KarlyM* is a splendid one to behold

If every match she played was like her R1 match at Wimbledon last year, then I would say yes. But obviously that is not the case here, so it is no.
KarlyM* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote