Is Venus tarnishing her legacy? - Page 14 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 24th, 2013, 07:50 AM   #196
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Venus tarnishing her legacy?

Serena will probably end her career with more Wimbledons than Venus. But in the match where they were both closest to their best (2008 Wimbledon), it was Venus that came out on top.

She will be remembered as the dominant player at Wimbledon from 2000-09 where she reached 8 finals from 10 winning 5. That was her decade.

I still think she can win one more Wimbledon though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 24th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #197
country flag The Witch-king

The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by it-girl View Post
The problem is you are measuring Venus based off of her previous results career wise. Well she's not the same player now that she was because of the illness. Now she has a different set of goals for her life and tennis career. She is not trying to pick up were she left off because her body is different now. She is trying to work with what she has now and improve from there. I believe that Venus is very realistic about her expectations and her ability to see them manifest.

There are a lot of players doing far worst than Venus & they don't have the disease. Also there is nothing biased in being truthful, Venus could have retired when she found out about the disease but she didn't. I believe she is adding to her legacy and showing people that you can fight against the odds despite what others think.

I wonder if some of the people judging Venus so, measure themselves by the same high bar of expectations they have set for her. These people must have never experienced or seen their family or friends go through unexpected circumstances and make the best of them that they can. Who would tell someone they love to give up if something happened just because they are not the same person that they were?

Venus Williams is adding to her stellar career with every match. You cannot tarnish your career when you refuse to give in to an autoimmune disease. Which only proves how much of a champion Venus is on and off of the court.
This is the crux of it. Have the people that criticize her never experienced some kind of adversity before? Or are they so stupid that they can't recognize the parallels between what Venus is going through and themselves? Either way it's pretty sad.
The Witch-king is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 08:03 AM   #198
country flag serena_the_queen

serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future serena_the_queen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
Serena will probably end her career with more Wimbledons than Venus. But in the match where they were both closest to their best (2008 Wimbledon), it was Venus that came out on top.

She will be remembered as the dominant player at Wimbledon from 2000-09 where she reached 8 finals from 10 winning 5. That was her decade.

I still think she can win one more Wimbledon though.
I agree with most of this. Yet GOAT-grass-servebot Ree emerged in 2010 with a tourny record of 89 aces. She of course broke this record last year with 103 aces; more than any other player male of female which considering she is playing best of 3 set matches is PHENOMENAL. Even peak Vee would struggle with this.

In 09 Vee beat Safina in the semis 0 and 1 I believe.. so she was clearly near her peak. Serena played in my view the best match of the decade against Dementieva and squeaked through giving her the impoteus to raise her game for the final. By this time of course Vee may have been unknowingly feeling the effects of her Sjorgens. So its almost to impossible to separate them... yet we know that Ree will retire with more wimby titles most likely.
serena_the_queen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 03:09 AM   #199
country flag MrWaagh
Venus fan!

MrWaagh has a reputation beyond repute MrWaagh has a reputation beyond repute MrWaagh has a reputation beyond repute MrWaagh has a reputation beyond repute MrWaagh has a reputation beyond repute MrWaagh has a reputation beyond repute MrWaagh has a reputation beyond repute MrWaagh has a reputation beyond repute MrWaagh has a reputation beyond repute MrWaagh has a reputation beyond repute MrWaagh has a reputation beyond repute
Venus should have retired after RG 2010

Looking back at the last couple of years, I think that Roland Garros 2010 would have been the perfect tournament for Venus to retire. Here's why:

- Since then she has only won one title (Luxembourg, which is a small tournament anyway).
- She would have retired as the n2 player of the world, behind Serena, who was n1.
- Those awful losses to Pironkova at Wimbledon would have never happened.
- Her head-to-head with Sharapova would have been positive.
- Her head-to-head with Clijsters would have been even.
MrWaagh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 03:20 AM   #200
country flag leftbrian

leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future leftbrian has a brilliant future
Re: Venus should have retired after RG 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWaagh View Post
Looking back at the last couple of years, I think that Roland Garros 2010 would have been the perfect tournament for Venus to retire. Here's why:

- Since then she has only won one title (Luxembourg, which is a small tournament anyway).
- She would have retired as the n2 player of the world, behind Serena, who was n1.
- Those awful losses to Pironkova at Wimbledon would have never happened.
- Her head-to-head with Sharapova would have been positive.
- Her head-to-head with Clijsters would have been even.
But she also reached SF at the US Open with barely any preparation. I thought that was very impressive even though she lost that match. Oh that tiebreak

She will retire on her own terms.
leftbrian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 03:22 AM   #201
country flag Potato

Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute

Venus will retire when she feels she is ready. As long as she loves the game, she should keep on playing, and her "fans" should continue to support her instead of having a superfluous concern of her legacy being ruined.
Potato is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 03:26 AM   #202
country flag Becool

Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute

she will play as long as serena plays but that's bad for her cuz serena keeps on winning while she's just tarnishing her legacy

serena
townsend × rezaï × lisicki
vesnina × keys × mladenovic

facebook ~ twitter
[#ps - in portuguese]
Becool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 03:48 AM   #203
country flag it-girl
Veelieving!!!!!!!

it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potato View Post
Venus will retire when she feels she is ready. As long as she loves the game, she should keep on playing, and her "fans" should continue to support her instead of having a superfluous concern of her legacy being ruined.
+1.

Most people who follow the game know this is almost like a second career for Venus. But the point is she is still enjoying being out there. I don't think Venus would be happy if she had to quit because of her disease. She is a fighter and she knows she is giving it her all out there. She will have some good days, she will have some bad days. But the good part about it is her fans still get to see her play.

A lot of people wish they could say that about their favorite players but several of them have already retired. I don't have any expectations for Venus because I know she is a different player now. I do have things that I hope she can accomplish but that list is irrelevant as long she's happy. She gets to play the sport she loves and promote her clothing line just by being on the court. She is even displaying merchandise in the different tournaments she goes to around the world and I personally think that's a good thing.

As long as Venus plays, I will support her and I will never stop Veelieving.

VEELIEVER ♥ RENA'S ARMY♥
it-girl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 03:55 AM   #204
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Oh goody. Let's discuss this some more.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 03:56 AM   #205
country flag it-girl
Veelieving!!!!!!!

it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffedmax View Post

Oh goody. Let's discuss this some more.
It had to be a blonde gif

VEELIEVER ♥ RENA'S ARMY♥
Old May 15th, 2013, 03:59 AM   #206
country flag it-girl
Veelieving!!!!!!!

It appears that with every bad match this topic will come up. I prefer to sit back and enjoy seeing her as long as I can. She will leave when she is ready. If it was just about results she would have already retired. Clearly this means more to her than winning everything.

VEELIEVER ♥ RENA'S ARMY♥
Old May 15th, 2013, 04:06 AM   #207
country flag Thiudans

Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by it-girl View Post
It appears that with every bad match this topic will come up. I prefer to sit back and enjoy seeing her as long as I can. She will leave when she is ready. If it was just about results she would have already retired. Clearly this means more to her than winning everything.
It's nice, at this point, just to see her play. And most of the time, it's of a good standard, which is a bonus for fans, given the situation. We've seen that, on her best days, she can challenge top ten players. It's ridiculous to say that someone like that should retire, especially since she's doing that while suffering from an auto-immune disease.
Thiudans is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 04:31 AM   #208
country flag nfl46

nfl46 has a brilliant future nfl46 has a brilliant future nfl46 has a brilliant future nfl46 has a brilliant future nfl46 has a brilliant future nfl46 has a brilliant future nfl46 has a brilliant future nfl46 has a brilliant future nfl46 has a brilliant future nfl46 has a brilliant future nfl46 has a brilliant future

No, she's not, IMO. She needs to rest for grass, though. She gets the right draw and finishes matches quick, then she may sneak up and make second week.
Old May 15th, 2013, 04:42 AM   #209
country flag englando08

englando08 has a brilliant future englando08 has a brilliant future englando08 has a brilliant future englando08 has a brilliant future englando08 has a brilliant future englando08 has a brilliant future englando08 has a brilliant future englando08 has a brilliant future englando08 has a brilliant future englando08 has a brilliant future englando08 has a brilliant future

The problem with the "she's fighting through" theory is that she is fighting but its causing her to produce horrid tennis. It's more sad to watch than anything else, especially this year. The only match in which she produced high quality tennis was against voskoboeva in the first round of the Australian Open...
Old May 15th, 2013, 05:43 AM   #210
country flag Becool

Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfl46 View Post
No, she's not, IMO. She needs to rest for grass, though. She gets the right draw and finishes matches quick, then she may sneak up and make second week.
u know she won't

serena
townsend × rezaï × lisicki
vesnina × keys × mladenovic

facebook ~ twitter
[#ps - in portuguese]
Becool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote