Is Venus tarnishing her legacy? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 18th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #1
country flag DevilishAttitude

DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Is Venus tarnishing her legacy?

After watching her get comfortably dispatched by Sharapova, I can't help but feel that Venus should call time on her career. She has nothing to prove and has been a great champion, but I can't understand why she keeps playing when she is getting soundly beaten consistently by players she once would have been a favourite against. She's 4-4 in Grand Slam matches over the past year and has lost far more of the big matches she's contested in since her return in March than she has won.

I know she's beaten the likes of Stosur and Errani, has played well in doubles and enjoyed more crowd support than at any point in her career, but is that what Venus is content with? Her movement is mediocre nowadays and her serve has lost it's punch, not to mention her frail FH and has looked a complete shadow of herself at times and it has made for painful viewing.

Thoughts?
DevilishAttitude is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 18th, 2013, 09:42 PM   #2
country flag melodynelson

melodynelson has a brilliant future melodynelson has a brilliant future melodynelson has a brilliant future melodynelson has a brilliant future melodynelson has a brilliant future melodynelson has a brilliant future melodynelson has a brilliant future melodynelson has a brilliant future melodynelson has a brilliant future melodynelson has a brilliant future melodynelson has a brilliant future
Re: Is Venus tarnishing her legacy?

I don't think so. She has seven majors, Olympic gold, many high quality TI and TII titles, dominated the game for several years, and was a class act through all of it. I remember her for that. Losing to Pironkova, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena Dementieva
At the press conference I was asked a really good question - they asked if I thought Martina Hingis helped me to win this tournament last year by beating Maria Sharapova in the semifinals. I said "Don't you think so?"
melodynelson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 09:43 PM   #3
country flag Potato

Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute

She's stated multiple times that she is still playing because she loves the game. And I don't think she should stop what she loves to do for something as subjective and silly as "legacy".
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 09:45 PM   #4
Royals.

Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute

Tennis is her LIFE. She loves the game. She still playing because of her desire and love for Tennis.

Why is that so hard for you to understand? She doesn't have to quit until she feels ready.
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #5
country flag AnnieIWillKnow

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute

No.

I still think that Venus doesn't get enough credit for her comeback, considering she has to work against the disease. Even with such a debilitating condition, she is still in the top 30 players in the world, and this year she won a title and Olympic gold with Serena.

Some might say she's tarnishing her legacy by not being the player she once was, but if anything I think she's adding to it by being able to make such a great comeback and fighting against it. It's added another dimension to her, for me. And I say this as somebody who isn't a particularly big fan of Venus, but it's difficult to not respect what she's done.
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 09:49 PM   #6
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer that she's out there challenging herself rather than running away when the competition got tough and you know you couldn't dominate like you used to. That's the mark of a champion and Venus is a champion. Keep going, Venus!

Pas de Quatre: Swan Lake, Giselle, The Nutcracker, Coppélia
Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 09:52 PM   #7
country flag Sir Stefwhit

Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute

A person who has a never give up attitude, who is doing what they are passionate about, who is rising in the rankings, who beat quality top players last season, who won a tournament, who manged to qualify for the Olympics by getting her ranking up on her worse surface clay....how can a person like that tarnish their legacy?

If anything she is an inspiration. Should Masha have quit after she was double gabbled by Davenport, should Serena have quit when she was sent packing in the first round of a major? Sure she may risk turning around some H2Hs and lowering her winning percentages, but that's all secondary at this point.

I tell my fellow Serena fans Masha and Vika will, at some point, get a win over Serena again, I told anyone who would listen Serena wasn't washed up in 2005 when she lost to Crabas, and I'm telling you now don't sleep on Venus. I don't think she'll have her old consistent results but she will ALWAYS be dangerous. She WILL beat the top players and one more run at the slams isn't as unthinkable as some seem to believe.
The REAL GOAT Rafael Nadal
Future Inductees: Clijsters, C.Evert, A.Agassi, A.Berasategui, N. Zvereva, I.Majoli, M.Safin, Li Na, VIKA, and Del Potro
Sir Stefwhit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 09:53 PM   #8
country flag pokey camp

pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute pokey camp has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. Just the opposite actually.
pokey camp is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #9
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute

As long as she's enjoying herself, I'll be there (or rather here) cheering her on! She's give her fans plenty of good times - so her true fans will be there til the end and will continue to appreciate her up until the day that she finally hands up her racket and long after that too!

Is she tarnishing her legacy, a little maybe but not much. She's had some tough losses, some early exits from tournaments but these are not completely new things and at least we can see that some are directly attributable to her age and her illness and not just a waning talent. There are good days too and they are to be appreciated all the more. As well as that her never say die attitude and her dedication to the game and to her fans really add to her legacy.

I'll celebrate the Luxembourg titles like they're Wimbledons and the wins over Stosur and Errani like they're wins over Serena, Azarenka or Sharapova because she has to fight for every point like never before. She has so much against her but she just won't quit. I'm hoping that she develops some kind of rhythm this year and maybe gets a win over someone like Radwanska or maybe even Li or Kerber (probably not Li though!) She surprised me with the Luxembourg win because, although I knew she still had good days left, I wasn't sure that she had good weeks left. I'm hoping she surprises us a few more times this year. I hope she stays injury free all year and really gets into a proper rhythm of managing her illness and playing a somewhat full schedule for 2013. After that, I hope she reevaluates things and possibly looks at investing herself more in doubles and mixed doubles which she should definitely keep playing past 2013.

http://flickr.com/photos/keithmaguire/
kwilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 09:58 PM   #10
country flag Miracle Worker

Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute

She just lose match against Sharapova. Somehow I think 99% of WTA would kill for score like Venus had. Venus didn't play so bad, Sharapova was too good. I feel sorry for Flipkens already.

If Maria stays healthy she will play in final without losing set.
Kimiko Date Krumm, Tomas Berdych, Michail Youzhny, Daniel Brands
Elena Dementieva, Julia Cohen, Anna Chakvetadze
Miracle Worker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 09:58 PM   #11
country flag Vincey!

Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute

no, she still has all her past achievements, nothing and nobody will ever take that away from her. She's obviously at the end of her career (at least in single) and she lost to Sharapova, it's nothing to be ashamed of.

"You're wasting your time,Go home and have a beer!" - Maria Sharapova-
Vincey! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 10:01 PM   #12
country flag The Daviator

The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute

Venus is 32. She should be winding down. Tennis, like everything else, is a cycle. Sharapova dismissed Venus in the way that Venus dismissed Seles so many times when she was young and on the rise and Monica was in the twilight of her career. Similarly Maria will be having these losses to the elite players of the game if she's still going at 32. There are always exceptions (as Serena is brilliantly proving), but the older you get, the less successful you will get!

Venus should play as long as she wishes, she can still win titles and thrive, but people need to stop expecting some renaissance of pre-2010 form because it's just not realistic.
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #13
country flag ptkten

ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincey! View Post
no, she still has all her past achievements, nothing and nobody will ever take that away from her. She's obviously at the end of her career (at least in single) and she lost to Sharapova, it's nothing to be ashamed of.
Exactly, what she's already accomplished doesn't get erased by her results today other than I guess win-loss records.

McHale-Stephens-Watson-Robson-Townsend

Brodsky-Muhammed-Hampton-Keys-Crawford-Andrews-Hardebeck
ptkten is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #14
Noten

Noten has much to be proud of Noten has much to be proud of Noten has much to be proud of Noten has much to be proud of Noten has much to be proud of Noten has much to be proud of Noten has much to be proud of Noten has much to be proud of Noten has much to be proud of Noten has much to be proud of Noten has much to be proud of

No. She enriches this sport and her legacy with her will to fight and come back despite adversity. Venus has proved many times what she's capable of, and no matter how many tough loses she may suffer, history will ultimately remember her as what she truly is: A great champion.
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #15
country flag FactsPlease

FactsPlease is a splendid one to behold FactsPlease is a splendid one to behold FactsPlease is a splendid one to behold FactsPlease is a splendid one to behold FactsPlease is a splendid one to behold FactsPlease is a splendid one to behold FactsPlease is a splendid one to behold FactsPlease is a splendid one to behold FactsPlease is a splendid one to behold FactsPlease is a splendid one to behold FactsPlease is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieIWillKnow View Post
No.
YES.

It's not tarnishing her legacy. It's destroying it.

I'm close to thinking they should start retroactively revoking a Grand Slam title for each humiliating performance she turns in like the stinker against Maria.

You can't have one of your sport's supposed "all-time greats" getting her ass kicked around in public.

It's a disgrace to the game; it's a disgrace to Venus; it's a disgrace to the memory of her sister; and it's a disgrace to the Williams family.

I talked to Oracene a couple days ago and she is livid and disgusted at what Venus is doing.

And so, frankly, am I.

Start stripping her of some of those Wimbledon titles in order to push her into retirement and save herself.

And no: nobody is buying the whole sudden "immune disease" excuse (): not Richard, not Rena, and certainly not I.
FactsPlease is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote