Is Zheng Jie the best player in the 21st century to have NOT made the Top 10? - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 16th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #31
country flag The Dawntreader
La Divina Assoluta

The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Zheng Jie the best player in the 21st century to have NOT made the Top 10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat View Post
i'd like to know who is according to you.
Lisicki, Cibulkova, Kanepi.
Advertisement

Old Jan 16th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #32
country flag Cooper96

Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of
Re: Is Zheng Jie the best player in the 21st century to have NOT made the Top 10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dawntreader View Post
Lisicki, Cibulkova, Kanepi.
Of the current players, these three definitely come before Zheng.
Cooper96 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 08:11 PM   #33
country flag Dawson.

Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute

Schiavone had this honour for soooo long pre-2010

... for some reason.
Dawson. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #34
Viktymise
King

Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute

She would have made it if it weren't for her "serve".
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #35
country flag ScrubLove

ScrubLove is a splendid one to behold ScrubLove is a splendid one to behold ScrubLove is a splendid one to behold ScrubLove is a splendid one to behold ScrubLove is a splendid one to behold ScrubLove is a splendid one to behold ScrubLove is a splendid one to behold ScrubLove is a splendid one to behold ScrubLove is a splendid one to behold ScrubLove is a splendid one to behold ScrubLove is a splendid one to behold

I think when you're comparing peak Zheng against other people she may not be. Against the peaks of people like Cibulkova, ALG, Kanepi, Lisicki she would be overpowered but the thing about Zheng is that she plays at a more consistent level than those players who are/were more prone to huge fluctuations in form.

I'd say players like Farina Elia, Dechy, and Shaughnessy are more along Zheng's path but it's hard to say she's "best" because results don't always give a concrete example of talent, there are a lot of variables. Is reaching 2 Grand Slam SF years apart a better indicator of talent than a longer stretch of consistent results like the 3 mentioned previously. There's not really a good answer.
ScrubLove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #36
country flag Vespertine69

Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute

Difficult thing to judge, but Jie has to be up there for consideration. Golovin, Kanepi, maybe Lisicki and Cibulkova... Zheng is definitely in the bracket with her repeated comebacks and two SF's.
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 03:00 AM   #37
country flag njnetswill

njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of players with more raw talent than Jie, but that's not what career bests are about.

I think two GS semifinals is hard to argue against when answering this question. I mean, 2 GS SFs is not that much fewer than many of the girls who had top 5 peaks, let alone top 10, which is what we are talking about.

How many GS SFs did Myskina make for example? Or players like Suarez, Sugiyama, Hantuchova, Kerber, Chakvetadze, etc, who all have career highs much higher than Jie? When considering real top ten players' careers bests Jie doesn't seem out of place.

Last edited by njnetswill : Jan 17th, 2013 at 03:13 AM.
njnetswill is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 03:04 AM   #38
country flag Cooper96

Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper96 View Post
Of the current players, these three definitely come before Zheng.
Oh and Kirilenko too.
Cooper96 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 03:05 AM   #39
country flag Vartan

Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute Vartan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KournikovaFan91 View Post
Surely that's Cornet or Peer

They were so close
You beat me to it

Vartan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 03:09 AM   #40
country flag Ryan
NeverWoz

Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo View Post
No, Meghann Shaughnessy, who peaked at number 11, was WAY better, with several victories against Venus, who was playing pretty well.

I think two Slam SFs and Jie's wins are better than anything Shaughnessy ever did. I'd say Jie or Cibulkova.
Ryan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 03:10 AM   #41
country flag Mattographer
Also known as AlexSydney

Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute

The answer should be Paola Suarez because she never played as a Top 10 player

This is my signature. Pretty neat, isn't it?
Mattographer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 03:19 AM   #42
country flag thegreendestiny

thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute

Pavlyuchenkova?
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 03:19 AM   #43
country flag andyjason

andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjones View Post
zheng zie is overrated, she was slaughtered by laura robson and gaungzhou last year.
Your Laura Robson is really overrated by many people and media.
Poor Watson, won a title and still being ignored
andyjason is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 03:23 AM   #44
country flag andyjason

andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlicznie View Post
I know, but why hasn't this thread been started when she reached the Semis then?
And this particular case emerged because of her beating Mugsur, not reaching Slam SF.

Besides, the answer for the OP questions is rather not in my opinion.
There's been a handfull of players that I'd put above Jie that didn't enter the top10 either.
Jie might not be the best player to have NOT made the Top 10.
But I am sure Aga is the worst among those who has highest ranking no.2
andyjason is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 07:19 AM   #45
country flag Big_Banana

Big_Banana has a reputation beyond repute Big_Banana has a reputation beyond repute Big_Banana has a reputation beyond repute Big_Banana has a reputation beyond repute Big_Banana has a reputation beyond repute Big_Banana has a reputation beyond repute Big_Banana has a reputation beyond repute Big_Banana has a reputation beyond repute Big_Banana has a reputation beyond repute Big_Banana has a reputation beyond repute Big_Banana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjones View Post
zheng zie is overrated, she was slaughtered by laura robson and gaungzhou last year.
no.