When and why did speed become less important? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 16th, 2013, 02:59 PM   #16
country flag JarkaFish
Multiform

JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future
Re: When and why did speed become less important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSlam View Post
Kvitova anyone?
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 16th, 2013, 03:04 PM   #17
country flag shap_half

shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake Ramoray View Post
There're no certain model of what top players should be like. Now the top 3 are either too tall or too heavy to run fast. Maybe next generation there could be 3 fast runners on top, someone's gonna complain about lack of power then.

ps: Vika's footwork isn't bad imo, at least not the same level with Petra.
Right but look at the list of players who have recently retired or are from the previous generation:
Hingis
Capriati
Serena
Venus
Henin
Clijsters
Dementieva
Kuznetsova
Myskina
Mauresmo

Yes, you have Sharapova, Seles and Davenport, but when you look at the above, you are looking at players with very different games but who were all incredibly speedy on the court. And you're also looking at the best players of that generation. With the exception of Dementieva, they've all won slams. And the likes of the Williams sisters, Hingis, Henin, etc. are historically great players, too. There may not be a mold to fill, but it seems to me that if you were starting your career like 10-15 years ago, you had to play a game based around speed and power.
shap_half is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #18
country flag Wiggly

Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute

Many players are just plain lazy.
They're satisfied with their lifestyle and their income.

Nowadays, any hard worker could jump up from #70 to #35 in three months as all the girls are prettu much on the same level but only a few are willing to go the extra mile.
Wiggly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 03:13 PM   #19
country flag AcesHigh

AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute

Again, with Monica, she needed some of the greatest groundstrokes EVER to compensate for her lack of athleticism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
When will you learn that "pushers" never make it past the club level, let alone #1 on the WTA computer? Will it be too late?
AcesHigh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #20
country flag KeysisGOAT

KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future

When? I doubt you could find a single moment. It was probably gradual, Davenport was just one of the first of what's now the majority.

As for why, there's multiple reasons. The short answer is that the game has changed, making speed less important. Courts are slower for one thing, racquet/string technology allows the ball to be hit harder and with more control, both of which favour training for power rather than speed. There have also been advances in training and nutrition due to research and technology moving on making training for power over speed more effective/viable. Ultimately, those changes have combined to make foot speed less important when playing from the baseline, and its happened from the bottom (i.e. juniors learning a baseline style where power > speed). This shit happens in sports. There's a reason why nobody uses the WM formation in football and people don't use serve and volley as a primary playstyle any more. Eventually something will change in tennis again. We shall see.
KeysisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #21
Viktymise
King

Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute

Are Failniacki and Hagathav really that irrelevant?

The issue isn't that speed has become less important, since there have always been a fair share or top 10 players who could be defined as slow pokes. It's that there are very, very few players of this generation who are fast and have a big game.
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #22
country flag crazillo

crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute

On the contraty, Kerber only got up the rankings when she dramatically improved her fitness.
"There is a saying that there is no friendship in tennis, but I've proven the opposite. After all of them are here, it means that there is friendship and I want to thank them for being here tonight. I hope the fans are happy too."

My blog about my semester spent in China (bilingual in both German and English):
http://crazillo.jimdo.com! Please feel free to make comments!!
crazillo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 03:33 PM   #23
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shap_half View Post
WFrom Hingis and Capriati to Clijsters and Venus, these girls were relentless runners and could get to just about anything that's not struck perfectly.
The idea that any of those players is more athletic than Azarenka, Radwanska, Kerber, Wozniacki, etc is ludicrous. Quicker? Maybe but I'm not convinced. More athletic, greater endurance? No, not at all. Plus the ball is generally moving faster than it ever has.

Last edited by pov : Jan 16th, 2013 at 03:57 PM.
pov is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 03:37 PM   #24
country flag Boxuan

Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crater718 View Post
I want both . A players that hits like a freight train and runs like a gazelle.
Then we'll have to wait for the first cyborg player showing up in the tour

·┏┻━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓
┏┛李娜┣┫·科娃┣┫·郑洁┣┫·伊万┣┫·彭帅┣┫·杨科┃
┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛
Boxuan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 03:42 PM   #25
Olórin

Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute

Well there's the top 3 and the crazy BBBs GS Champions Kvitova and Li Na who are the modern slam pedigree.

Of the top 3 Serena is fast and pounds on the other two regularly. She also has lopsided H2Hs with Kvitova and Li. She was never able to beat Venus, Henin or Capriati with such casual regularity. So I think speed still is important. It's just that we've always taken it for a given in Serena - but in Serena we see how important speed is to stay at a competitive top 3 level across all surfaces.
Olórin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #26
country flag Boxuan

Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Right but look at the list of players who have recently retired or are from the previous generation:
Hingis
Capriati
Serena
Venus
Henin
Clijsters
Dementieva
Kuznetsova
Myskina
Mauresmo

Yes, you have Sharapova, Seles and Davenport, but when you look at the above, you are looking at players with very different games but who were all incredibly speedy on the court. And you're also looking at the best players of that generation. With the exception of Dementieva, they've all won slams. And the likes of the Williams sisters, Hingis, Henin, etc. are historically great players, too. There may not be a mold to fill, but it seems to me that if you were starting your career like 10-15 years ago, you had to play a game based around speed and power.
Like the bang-maniac just said, nowadays the game played in a different style. And it actually started from the last generation. You can see how Hingis have ruled the tour during 1997-1999, then couldn't win slams any more. She's like the transitional figure of the tour. And Serena, Venus, Lindsay and Justine eventually took over control represent the transition's done. And even if you say Venus and Justine are speedy, the power is just as important, if not more important, in their game-play.

·┏┻━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓
┏┛李娜┣┫·科娃┣┫·郑洁┣┫·伊万┣┫·彭帅┣┫·杨科┃
┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛
Boxuan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 03:51 PM   #27
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

at the same time we have ATP and Murray who can run first 20-30 meters as fast as Usain Bolt and "on his best day he can do 27 pull-ups, and push 500lb on the leg-press"

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

32 WTA titles , including 12 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #28
country flag KeysisGOAT

KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
It's not speed, it's the lack of athleticism IMHO.

There are no great athletes in women's tennis anymore.
For someone like Lindsay Davenport to compete, she had to have one of the greatest forehand-backhand-serve-return combinations in tennis history.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemurenai View Post
Women's tennis doesn't seem to attract the best athletes anymore. I think that must be part of the reason. That and, as mentioned above, the fact that it suffices most of the time to just ballbash. If you can win like that, you don't need to be a good athlete and thus, you can make your way to the top of a rather lucrative sport while being athletically (very) mediocre or poor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
Again, with Monica, she needed some of the greatest groundstrokes EVER to compensate for her lack of athleticism.

This guy is an athlete. There's more to "athleticism" than being able to move fast. Players like Robson, Kvitova and the other postergirls of "slow moving hard hitters" that you can think of are athletic. There's a reason why they can generate power with their shots that other players can't and a lack of athleticism isn't the reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggly View Post
Many players are just plain lazy.
They're satisfied with their lifestyle and their income.
Yeah, I'm not buying that as a theory. Since this applies to players outside the top 100 (who can struggle to afford to continue playing and thus don't have much cause to rest on their low net income) as well as the top players.

Quote:
Nowadays, any hard worker could jump up from #70 to #35 in three months as all the girls are pretty much on the same level but only a few are willing to go the extra mile.
Or alternatively the fact that there's less than 500 points between #35 and #70 (a gap that could be spanned with a few good runs at MM tourneys, of which there are 6 between the start of Febuary and the start of May, ignoring points that could be gained in Premier qualies).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
at the same time we have ATP and Murray who can run first 20-30 meters as fast as Usain Bolt and "on his best day he can do 27 pull-ups, and push 500lb on the leg-press"
Is tennis' anti-doping programme still as much of a joke as cycling's was before they cracked down on it?
KeysisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 03:55 PM   #29
country flag effedcamel

effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future

slowing of the surfaces
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 03:58 PM   #30
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When you look at the top players of the "previous generation," it seemed like being extraordinarily quick was a foundation of almost everyone's game. From Hingis and Capriati to Clijsters and Venus, these girls were relentless runners and could get to just about anything that's not struck perfectly. Obviously, Serena is still out there, and she's super fast, but players like Azarenka and Kvitova are not particularly fast players, and I can't imagine how much better their games would be if they were even half-a-step quicker. (And even Sharapova and Ivanovic don't have the same speed that "older" players had.) And it just seems like maybe it's not as important?

Thoughts? Am I totally off the mark here? There are players like Wozniacki and Radwanska who are quick, but they're like cheaper, corner-store versions of Clijsters and Hingis, etc.
Not sure what you're talking about but Azza is fast - very fast (especially acceleration wise) that is in fact her speciality, as it enables her to get to the ball early.

That is what led her to the top of the ranking and also directly enabled her to dominate the likes of Pova despite not hitting exactly as hard as them off the ground

Last edited by Raiden : Jan 16th, 2013 at 04:03 PM.
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote