How many Majors should player win to be called "one of the greatest players"? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: How many Majors should at least win great tennis player?

1 1 1.10%
2 0 0%
3 6 6.59%
4 11 12.09%
4 with Career GS 11 12.09%
5-6 12 13.19%
7-8 34 37.36%
9 2 2.20%
double digits 10 10.99%
15 4 4.40%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 15th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #16
country flag JanNYC

JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future
Re: How many Majors should player win to be called "one of the greatest players"?

no less than 7...I think they've been great players who have won less, but to the one of the greatest, I think anything less than 7 removes you from contention
JanNYC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 15th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #17
country flag Barktra
Allez

Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How many Majors should player win to be called "one of the greatest players"?

Winning every slam at least 4 times and the Olympic gold
Barktra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 10:00 PM   #18
country flag fluffyelloballz
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

fluffyelloballz is a splendid one to behold fluffyelloballz is a splendid one to behold fluffyelloballz is a splendid one to behold fluffyelloballz is a splendid one to behold fluffyelloballz is a splendid one to behold fluffyelloballz is a splendid one to behold fluffyelloballz is a splendid one to behold fluffyelloballz is a splendid one to behold fluffyelloballz is a splendid one to behold fluffyelloballz is a splendid one to behold fluffyelloballz is a splendid one to behold

How many greatest players can there be?
If we have too many, does it not devalue the title 'greatest' player?
I think there Can be many great players but only a handful or two of greatest.
I think winning a slam puts you in the list of greats, even if that is only at the bottom, and what a great place that is to be anyway.
But to be one the greatest? You need to be winning Wimby five times or dominating RG for years.

http://guardianlv.com/2014/07/serena...o-save-season/
Serena Williams needs a Great U.S Open Series to Save Season
fluffyelloballz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #19
Miss Atomic Bomb
Legendary

Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute

Henin and Venus are the measuring stick for me. So I would say 7-8.

As good or better than them = one of the greats.
Not as good as them = still a great player (depending on their achievements ofc) but not one of the greats

Miss Atomic Bomb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #20
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffedmax View Post
Olympic Gold and Silver are clearly the first criteria.

But other than that, it still depends. A player who was consistently in the mix and played in a strong era and finished with one slam might be considered a great player of his/her era, while another player with a spotty record in weak era and multiple slam wins might not really be called great.

I'd also argue the term "great" is a bit vague. There are players (even slamless ones like the ones you mentioned) who are arguably "great" for their era, but are not great in terms of the history of the game.

From a historic point of view, right now the great club is pretty much limited to one. (Venus is a member, but you can't call her great on her current form).

If you just look at active players, the list is much bigger. Martha is very close to joining the club, but IMHO she really needs a big win over her nemesis. Greatness isn't just about what you won, it's also about who you beat.

Martha beat Henin twice, Serena once, Daveport twice, Mauresmo in her best season once to win her 3 first Majors......

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

32 WTA titles , including 12 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 10:07 PM   #21
country flag JanNYC

JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffyelloballz View Post
How many greatest players can there be?
If we have too many, does it not devalue the title 'greatest' player?
I think there Can be many great players but only a handful or two of greatest.
I think winning a slam puts you in the list of greats, even if that is only at the bottom, and what a great place that is to be anyway.
But to be one the greatest? You need to be winning Wimby five times or dominating RG for years.
I can agree with this...I voted for 7-8 b/c I feel anything less automatically disqualifies you from even being in the discussion...i'm sorry, but I don't give a damn how your GS total adds up to 4, it's still only 4 in my eyes...matter of fact, i'd 7-8 you're still in the category of a great tennis player and you'll be remembered etc...double digits will get you in as one of the greatest players
JanNYC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #22
country flag Vincey!

Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by debopero View Post
So Venus isn't one of the greatest ever but Sharapova is ?
To be fair I thought she had 8 Well 7 would do lol i said 8 or 9 but I didn't see the rest of the poll that was including 7 with 8 which would make sense too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo View Post
If Martina with 5 Slams isn't greater than Venus (7) and has 3 of the 4 Slams while Venus has 2 of the 4, Maria isn't greater than Martina for having 4 of 4.
Martina is only considered one of the greatest cuz she won her slam so early in her career and that she was expected to win more but she got injured. Martina was a great talent, but she's an underachiever because of her early retirements and injuries. Also back when she was playing most players were also playing double and that's where she also got a lot of her "greatest" vibe in my opinion. But the poll was more about single GS victory. so

"You're wasting your time,Go home and have a beer!" - Maria Sharapova-
Vincey! is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 10:17 PM   #23
country flag petkoan

petkoan has much to be proud of petkoan has much to be proud of petkoan has much to be proud of petkoan has much to be proud of petkoan has much to be proud of petkoan has much to be proud of petkoan has much to be proud of petkoan has much to be proud of petkoan has much to be proud of petkoan has much to be proud of petkoan has much to be proud of

Hingis is considered one of the greatest for a bunch of records, not just for having hit the mark of 5.
petkoan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 10:17 PM   #24
country flag Helen Lawson

Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute

It ain't four, NashaMasha! And you've absolutely made it with 15.

7-8, no.
11-12, yes
9-not sure
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #25
Miss Atomic Bomb
Legendary

Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute

When I think of players like Virginia, Lindsay, Capriati, Sharapova, Clijsters, ASV, Mandlikova, Hingis etc. I think of amazing players and not tennis greats. Players like and above Henin and Venus feel like tennis greats..even legends.

Miss Atomic Bomb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 10:26 PM   #26
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

i just decided to check whom i really consider great in men's tour..... I think it's Djokovic with his 5 Slams , but he will defitely finish with at least 7 or 8 . So probably Boris Becker is the starting position of "great" in ATP with 6 Slams (on 3 of 4 venues)

WTA Championships 2004

21 weeks #1 player
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 10:32 PM   #27
country flag lenas warriors

lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute

9 and Monica

Poll is one way to unite justine and venus fans
Amaze-arenka, Kvitty-GOAT and Halep
Hantuchova, Petrova, Zvonareva, Goerges, Koukalova, The Other Czechs, Halep, Keys, Townsend, Paszek
Li, Sharapova, Pavlyuchenkova, Makarova, The Other Russians, Kerber, Kanepi, Shvedova, Martic, Watson, Robson, Kimiko, Barthel, Erakovic
lenas warriors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 10:32 PM   #28
country flag sweetpeas

sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute

Do. doubles count?
sweetpeas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 10:33 PM   #29
country flag NashaMasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeas View Post
Do. doubles count?
we are not in Doubles forum

By the way, i think double digits is more about "greatest of all times" players . The likes of BJK, Nadal are right there, close to the stars.

I remember how Serena was already great player (undisputed) with 6 Slams (with Serena Slam)

WTA Championships 2004

21 weeks #1 player

Last edited by NashaMasha : Jan 15th, 2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 10:40 PM   #30
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think a career slam means legend. The problem with Sharapova is that She has never won a slam more the once and She has never won more than one slam within a year or two. Which shows her lack of dominance on a surface or on the tour. If she starts winning a slam more than once preferably 3 times, i think she will join the legends of the game. But to be one of the greatest, i think you should be close to those who have the most slam counts, for me it's Steffi not Court. so if you are close to Steffi then you should be considered. For me Serena is the greatest but realistically she has to win at least 2 more slams meaning 17 total slams to be considered with Steffi Graf, Martina Navratilova, and Chris Evert.
dencod16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote