Do you consider Wozniacki "undersized"? - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Do you think Wozniacki is undersized?

Yes - she's undersized 1 1.23%
No - she's average 33 40.74%
No - she's toward the larger sizes player 45 55.56%
Unsure 2 2.47%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 15th, 2013, 09:31 PM   #31
country flag pesto

pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of
Re: Do you consider Wozniacki "undersized"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo View Post
OK I just made the average of the top 100's heights with Excel and the result was...

1.7385 meters / 5'8.5''

So at 1.77 meters / 5'9.5'' she's 3 cm / more than an inch above the average
I've done this a couple of times in the past, over quite a few years - normally when a tall player has gone on a winning streak, and the media has gone all hysterical about how a girl needs to be a strapping 6-footer to stand a chance. The results have consistently been very similar to what you have just worked out - around 1.74m

It's an easy number for me to remember, as it's just my height. Shame I'm crap at tennis.
pesto is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 15th, 2013, 09:32 PM   #32
country flag delicatecutter

delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute delicatecutter has a reputation beyond repute

She's a big girl.

Suicide Champion: 2013 Miami; 2012 Doha; 2011 Dubai; 2010 Indian Wells, Bad Gastein; 2008 Melbourne, New Haven, Prague; 2007 Toronto
PAW Champion: 2012 Tokyo, Moscow; 2011 Roland Garros; 2010 Bali, Portoroz
TT Doubles Champion (with Djezonfly): 2012 Melbourne, 2011 Estoril
My Twitter
delicatecutter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #33
country flag Vincey!

Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute

She's just over the average in my opinion. She got a good size for a tennis player, at least she's certainly not having to work extra harder because of her size.

"You're wasting your time,Go home and have a beer!" - Maria Sharapova-
Vincey! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 09:44 PM   #34
country flag laurie

laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
I was very surprised to see Steve Tignor refer to her as "undersized but tenacious." (article here)

At 5'10" and 145 I think she's slightly on the big side of average compared to current players. What's your take on it?
What?! Does Steve Tignor's eyes deceive him? Or is he usually just watching women who eat a lot of hamburgers or something?

http://www.classictennismatches.net/
laurie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #35
country flag marco burini

marco burini is a glorious beacon of light marco burini is a glorious beacon of light marco burini is a glorious beacon of light marco burini is a glorious beacon of light marco burini is a glorious beacon of light marco burini is a glorious beacon of light marco burini is a glorious beacon of light marco burini is a glorious beacon of light marco burini is a glorious beacon of light marco burini is a glorious beacon of light marco burini is a glorious beacon of light

No, she's toward the larger sizes player
marco burini is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #36
country flag GOATdin0931

GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute

Who cares? She's awesome and hot!!
GOATdin0931 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 11:41 PM   #37
carling

carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsondan View Post
i think the wta has a great collection of women, almost all of whom have better than average physiques, but almost no two look that much alike. as a group, they should be an inspiration to women everywhere. but what do i know? i am the wrong gender to be able to say.
GREAT POST! Women's tennis player bodies come in different shapes and sizes, but most of them are fit and look great in their own unique way.
carling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 12:15 AM   #38
country flag JCTennisFan

JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute

clearly her height does not translate into a good serve/strong groundstrokes.

I dont think of her as undersized.... just mainly think of her as worthless .
JCTennisFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 12:24 AM   #39
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute

She is underrated in every aspect so I understand why she is seen as undersized but no way she is.
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 12:42 AM   #40
country flag T-rex

T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't call her undersized. But I see the point.

In sports there are measurements. And then there is your persona, your look, your feel. There's the question... "How much space do you take up in the room?"

And the two are not the same thing.

For instance, Serena is 5'9, which is not tall by WTA standards. But on the court, she comes off as being much bigger. If an average observer were to watch her play tennis against Maria, they would have no idea Serena surrenders 5-6 inches to Sharapova. But by the numbers, she does.

In NBA basketball they describe this phenomenon by asking... how long is the player? In other words, how much space does it feel like they take up on the court? This can be a lot different and a lot more important, than who is actually taller and weighs more.

This NBA lingo definitely apples to the WTA. By the tape measure and weight scale, Wozniacki is not undersized. But she's not long. She doesn't take up space. On the court she is too often crowded out of what should be her zone. She's not imposing. Yes.. her game is undersized.
T-rex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #41
country flag Beat

Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute

but this is not only a question of height. i'm sure that if you met players like wozniacki or azarenka in person (surely some of you have), you'd be impressed by what big girls they are.

Beat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 08:32 AM   #42
country flag swissmr

swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute

No, she just plays like she is
swissmr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 09:12 AM   #43
country flag Trickle
Cetkovstan

Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute

I was surprised to see how tall she was when I first looked her profile up. I thought she was 5'7" or something. I understand where the writer is coming from. Because of her puffball game she comes across as 'undersized'. Maybe that's what he meant.

Rest peacefully, Bally.
Petra the Lesser. Mugna Brothel. Back in Poland Lady Hagatha. CrybabyRena. Samantha-Jane. Simugna Help. Extremely Injured Guest. Angie Butchard. Duanvenport (BFCD). Sjogrenus. "Ajde!". NAh. Quitova. Rorylessniacki. Jie-Z. Jamie Hamstrung. LucieBB. Alizé Lim. Queen Beth. Belinda Dewey.
Trickle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 09:19 AM   #44
country flag Yoncé
On His Mouth Like Liquor

Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute

No 5'10" is very tall for a woman, it's even tall for a tennis player. She doesn't really seem as tall as what she is because she doesn't take advantage of her height.
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #45
country flag Dementinator
Captain of the SS Dementieva

Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute

She looks huge when pictured next to Rory Mcwhatever, much taller than him and with nice powerful legs, so I cant see how she would be considered undersized at all.

Once a Lena fan always a Lena fan
Dementinator is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote