US Men Drought = More WTA coverage (ESPN) - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 14th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #16
country flag Sir Stefwhit

Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US Men Drought = More WTA coverage (ESPN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravanecaravan View Post
Enjoy it while it lasts. You can bet Patrick McEnroe and Gilbert are eating their livers and stewing in the bile having to talking about women's tennis. They're two huge reasons I think Tennis Channel generally does a better job covering the majors.
...sad, but so true.
The REAL GOAT Rafael Nadal
Future Inductees: Clijsters, C.Evert, A.Agassi, A.Berasategui, N. Zvereva, I.Majoli, M.Safin, Li Na, VIKA, and Del Potro
Sir Stefwhit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 14th, 2013, 07:40 PM   #17
country flag ZeroSumGame

ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pureracket View Post
I know Pat McEnroe is sick because he LOVED Roddick is not able to salivate over him now. This is a complex issue, though. Many Americans on this board hate Serena and Venus, but after they've retired, the prospects for American women are maybe just as dim for the women as they are for the men. Once Venus and Serena retire, the advertising dollars will dry up.
Just coz you're often involved in stan wars on this board in relation to the WS, doesn't mean they're hated. Stop being myopic with your generalizations. The fact that the WS continue to command viewer ratings in women's sport should tell you something!
ZeroSumGame is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #18
country flag shoparound

shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future

I think you spoke too soon because each time I turn on ESPN's channel it's some crappy boring men's match with even less interesting players!
shoparound is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2013, 08:47 PM   #19
Pureracket

Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSumGame View Post
Just coz you're often involved in stan wars on this board in relation to the WS, doesn't mean they're hated. Stop being myopic with your generalizations. The fact that the WS continue to command viewer ratings in women's sport should tell you something!
Is that what posters like you and Pov do? Take parts of another poster's post and then make a generalization (often untrue) about that poster. Regardless of these "stan wars" you speak of, your condescending approach to my post is uncalled for. There are posters on this board whose very existence is to troll WS and their fans. That's not being myopic or generalizing at all. Tell me what you think it means when the WS command viewer ratings.

I'll state again: It's ironic that the WS are HATED by so many other American posters on this board. After they retire, advertising dollars in the US will dry up for tennis, and there may not be as much to watch in the US.

(Vultures, have it.... )

OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2013, 10:27 PM   #20
country flag BillFromRichmond

BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoparound View Post
I think you spoke too soon because each time I turn on ESPN's channel it's some crappy boring men's match with even less interesting players!
I agree. They were still practicing American homerism. There was extensive coverage of the Ryan Harrison and Steve Johnson ( who are these guys???Oh...they are the next American hopes...) matches.

And on the women's side, all they talked about were the Williams sisters and the so called up and coming "Young Americans".
BillFromRichmond is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2013, 10:30 PM   #21
country flag BillFromRichmond

BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of BillFromRichmond has much to be proud of

Quote:
I know Pat McEnroe is sick because he LOVED Roddick is not able to salivate over him now. This is a complex issue, though. Many Americans on this board hate Serena and Venus, but after they've retired, the prospects for American women are maybe just as dim for the women as they are for the men. Once Venus and Serena retire, the advertising dollars will dry up.
Thanks PureRacket for standing up to the "you can't say anyway wrong about anyone who is black" crowd.
BillFromRichmond is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2013, 10:43 PM   #22
country flag Manitou

Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippityHop View Post
I hate it when people quote a post and simply say "this". It smacks of intellectual laziness to me.
this

--

Outside Poland: Simona and Elina
Manitou is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2013, 10:44 PM   #23
country flag iWill

iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute

The American women contingent in Australia has more players with chances at a deep run than the men's side. Just like the last 30+ majors since the USO 2003 when Roddick won the last slam the Americans will see for a long time on the men's side.

There are some decent prospects on the men's side but none of them will likely go deep into the 2nd week. If Queery doesnt get there there likely will be no Americans in the 4th round of this slam on the men's side. If this does happen I will be very curious to see which matches they show in place of the typical spot left for American players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
*inserts a couple fingers into you*
iWill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2013, 10:50 PM   #24
country flag Manitou

Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future

Quote:
Once Venus and Serena retire, the advertising dollars will dry up.
This will happen very soon after every top WTA player's last name will end with -ova, -eva or -enka or -ska.
Tennis will become a niche sport in US media, just like figure skating or cross country skiing. And since US media is pretty much the world media, then the rest of the world will quickly follow....

--

Outside Poland: Simona and Elina
Manitou is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2013, 11:18 PM   #25
country flag Wiggly

Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitou View Post
This will happen very soon after every top WTA player's last name will end with -ova, -eva or -enka or -ska.
Tennis will become a niche sport in US media, just like figure skating or cross country skiing. And since US media is pretty much the world media, then the rest of the world will quickly follow....

--
Many of the new players are Westerners.
Your average tennis fan is more likely to cheer for a gal named Laura Robson than Olga Govortsova, that's sad but true.

With Robson, Watson, Stephens, Keys, McHale and Barty, the WTA could be back.
Their impeccable English will also help.
Wiggly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 12:02 AM   #26
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

It is not something I am chearing about, but this particular occasion, I wouldn't complain.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 12:05 AM   #27
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Will2 View Post
The American women contingent in Australia has more players with chances at a deep run than the men's side. Just like the last 30+ majors since the USO 2003 when Roddick won the last slam the Americans will see for a long time on the men's side.

There are some decent prospects on the men's side but none of them will likely go deep into the 2nd week. If Queery doesnt get there there likely will be no Americans in the 4th round of this slam on the men's side. If this does happen I will be very curious to see which matches they show in place of the typical spot left for American players.
I will believe when I see it.
We have been heart broken so many times, thanks to Pam Shriver who sees the future of American tennis whenever she sees one American woman shine at a tournament. Comes to mind

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 12:17 AM   #28
country flag Slammer7
Hoping for less D'oh and more woohoo!

Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFromRichmond View Post
Thanks PureRacket for standing up to the "you can't say anyway wrong about anyone who is black" crowd.
What the hell? Where did you get that from?

I've seen you make not so subtle digs about race before when it had nothing to do with the subject at hand. Where in his statement was there an allusion to anyone's race?
Isn't Mary Carillo a dried up, bitter, menopausal, frustrated harpy.....?
Slammer7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 12:42 AM   #29
country flag GOATdin0931

GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully a lot of coverage of Oudin! Unfortunately she'll be competing with Serena though I hope this one time Serena finishes off very quickly
GOATdin0931 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 01:42 AM   #30
country flag Rome

Rome is a splendid one to behold Rome is a splendid one to behold Rome is a splendid one to behold Rome is a splendid one to behold Rome is a splendid one to behold Rome is a splendid one to behold Rome is a splendid one to behold Rome is a splendid one to behold Rome is a splendid one to behold Rome is a splendid one to behold Rome is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSumGame View Post
Well if there not hated all you hear on espn is how to beat Serena. Nothing like that when you watch Sharapova all i heard when she was playing, was free advertising for her candy had to turn the volume down. The only other player they talk strategies on how to beat is Venus. One of the reason they fired Mary C. Im over it myself.