Arantxa Sánchez Vicario tells in her autobiography how her parents left her broke - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 4th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #1
country flag spiceboy

spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute
Arantxa Sánchez Vicario tells in her autobiography how her parents left her broke

http://tennis.com/articles/templates...6244&zoneid=25

Sanchez says her parents left her broke

Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario says in her forthcoming book "Arantxa, Vamos! Memoirs of a struggle, a life and a woman" that her parents stripped her of nearly all of her earnings and that she no longer speaks to them.

"My parents made me suffer a lot,” she is quoted by the magazine La Otra Conica as saying. She says has no relationships with anyone in her family, including her two former pro player brothers, Emilio and Javier. "My parents left me with nothing and now I am indebted to the [IRS} and I will not be quiet," she said.

Four-time Grand Slams champion Sanchez won $16.9 million dollars in prize money in her 17-year career but claims that overall (including endorsements) she took in about $59 million. "Today I am without resources,” said Sanchez, who has just taken over as Spain’s Fed Cup captain.

Sanchez also said that her mother Marisa -- who was with her at nearly every tournament throughout her career -- was super controlling. "My mother decided on my hair, my clothes ... When I bought something on my own, she rarely liked it," she said.

Sanchez's lawyers are still negotiating with the Spain’s IRS because she did not pay taxes for the years 1989-1993 when she claimed to have lived in the tax haven of Andorra.

Sanchez also says that her family opposed her marriage to her current husband Jose "Pep" Santacana (she was briefly married once before to the broadcaster Juan Vehils). - Matt Cronin
spiceboy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 4th, 2012, 09:44 PM   #2
country flag spiceboy

spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Arantxa Sánchez Vicario tells in her autobiography how her parents left her broke

News broke today in Spain. Her book is out next Tuesday.
spiceboy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #3
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Arantxa Sánchez Vicario tells in her autobiography how her parents left her broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceboy View Post
News broke today in Spain. Her book is out next Tuesday.
This promises to be an explosisve book.

Anyone who wtatched her match was familiar familiar with her family; Dick Engberg would not let us forget as he constinuously repeats thir names, using the long form of the family's last name.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 09:57 PM   #4
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I had no idea.

R.I.P. Bally
Sammo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #5
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo View Post
Wow, I had no idea.
Now you know.
That perfect family protrait they display in the family box was just a mirage.

According to A. Vicario, more unpleasant things were going on after they go to their private quarters

Old Feb 4th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #6
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

I can still picture Aranxta's mother sitting in the stands. I didn't think about her constant presence much, except I wonder why all these parents follow around their adult children at their jobs if they are not the coach. Lindsay's mother only came once in a while to the biggest events or to a CA tourney. Then again I didn't understand how Dementieva could stand having her mother with her everywhere, and I remember when she said that she didn't call her mother for on-court coaching because she sees her all the time (or something like that).

Too bad her parents couldn't figure out how to invest her money so it could last for all of them, so they could live on the interest.

Someone should buy and read this book and report back. Sammo? Can you make yourself useful?
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 10:24 PM   #7
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by edificio View Post
I can still picture Aranxta's mother sitting in the stands. I didn't think about her constant presence much, except I wonder why all these parents follow around their adult children at their jobs. Lindsay's mother only came once in a while to the biggest events or to a CA tourney. Then again I didn't understand how Dementieva could stand having her mother with her everywhere, and I remember when she said that she didn't call her mother for on-court coaching because she sees her all the time (or something like that).

Too bad her parents couldn't figure out how to invest her money so it could last for all of them, so they could live on the interest.

Someone should buy and read this book and report back. Sammo? Can you make yourself useful?
That sounds pretty rude

R.I.P. Bally
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 10:25 PM   #8
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 10:38 PM   #9
country flag Sammo

But anyway, I didn't know at all that she was broke, so yeah I'm pretty interested in the book.

R.I.P. Bally
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 10:43 PM   #10
country flag simonsaystennis
Team USA

simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute

Is the book only being released in Spain/Spanish? It seems really interesting... maybe I'll try and read it over the summer if that is the case. It'd be leisure reading, AND educational practice (Spanish is my second major at my university).

Vandeweghe ~ Mattek-Sands ~ King ~ Hampton ~ Riske ~ Glatch ~ Capra ~ Albanese ~ Brengle ~ Craybas ~ Rogers ~ Stephens ~ Boserup ~ Davis ~ Keys ~ Hardebeck ~ Brodsky ~ Gibbs ~ Pegula ~ Min ~ Townsend ~ Duval ~ Vickery ~Kiick
simonsaystennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #11
country flag simonsaystennis
Team USA

simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute

That is really sad though. Hopefully she is getting paid fairly well for being Fed Cup captain, and maybe she can get involved with other aspects of the off court life. Commentating perhaps?

Vandeweghe ~ Mattek-Sands ~ King ~ Hampton ~ Riske ~ Glatch ~ Capra ~ Albanese ~ Brengle ~ Craybas ~ Rogers ~ Stephens ~ Boserup ~ Davis ~ Keys ~ Hardebeck ~ Brodsky ~ Gibbs ~ Pegula ~ Min ~ Townsend ~ Duval ~ Vickery ~Kiick
simonsaystennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #12
country flag Sonf@
agradecería con alegría que me comierais la ñocla.

Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute Sonf@ has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so buying that book
our main preoccupation comes from the holy sky; when that blue roof starts falling smashing our worthless lives
we'd run undercover 'till the mankind finds evolution.
Sonf@ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #13
country flag timafi

timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute

holy horrible parents
FLASBACK (December 14, 2014)Fox & Friends Airs Misleading Footage To Suggest Al Sharpton Led Protesters Calling For "Dead Cops".Fox's Clayton Morris: Al Sharpton Is "Calling To Kill Cops" http://mediamatters.org/blog/2014/12...to-sugg/201874 Right-Wing Media Hide Obama And De Blasio Statements To Blame Them For Violence Against Police AND Rudy Guiliani Knows Exactly How To Spark A Police Riot http://mediamatters.org/research/201...o-state/201974 http://nomadicpolitics.blogspot.com/...ld-rather.html
timafi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 11:11 PM   #14
country flag tennisbum79

Quote:
Originally Posted by edificio View Post
I can still picture Aranxta's mother sitting in the stands. I didn't think about her constant presence much, except I wonder why all these parents follow around their adult children at their jobs if they are not the coach.
In Aranxta's case, the mother is a stage mom, even for an adult child.
According to her, the mother wanted to control everything
Quote:
"My mother decided on my hair, my clothes ... When I bought something on my own, she rarely liked it," she said.
I guess this her way of making herslef useful with that free time when she has no role in coaching.

But it would interesting to know why she does not speak to brother Emiio as well.

Old Feb 4th, 2012, 11:13 PM   #15
country flag tennisbum79

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonfo View Post
I'm so buying that book
I want to know is she is dissing Steffi or Monica or the young WS

When they first came on the scene, ASV thought the WS sisters has no respect for their elders, would inetresting if she included that in her book.