Suppose 'everyone' IS out to build up Sharapova and tear down Serena - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2014, 03:46 PM   #1
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute
Suppose 'everyone' IS out to build up Sharapova and tear down Serena

... meaning ....

suppose all the sponsors want to build up Sharapova and tear down Serena
suppose all the tournament directors want to build up Sharapova and tear down Serena
suppose all the agents want to build up Sharapova and tear down Serena
suppose all the sportswriters want to build up Sharapova and tear down Serena
suppose the ITF wants to build up Sharapova and tear down Serena
suppose the WTA wants to build up Sharapova and tear down Serena

(none of the above is true of course, but just suppose ....)

Does any of that matter? Really?

Fifteen years ago, people actually posted on tennis boards that Serena would never win a tournament. Now she's in the GOAT conversation. The worst of her critics have conceded her on-court ability, and off the court, she trains hard and avoids doing anything too terribly embarrassing.

I've posted this before. We Williams fans need to be less defensive. If Sharapova fans want to view her as Serena's equal, that's fine. Really. When a dog barks at a tank, there's no need to reflexively jump in the way to protect the tank.

Plus, the WTA needs players who are younger Serena to be popular. She's not gonna be around forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 9th, 2014, 03:55 PM   #2
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suppose 'everyone' IS out to build up Sharapova and tear down Serena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana View Post
I've posted this before. We Williams fans need to be less defensive. If Sharapova fans want to view her as Serena's equal, that's fine.

If you truly want to be less defensive realize that no one - NO ONE - considers Sharapova Williams equal or even rival on the court. Add in that any Sharapova fan who doesn't appreciate Williams accomplishments and on-court greatness is more wanker than fan.

IMO Williams fans "need" to be less defensive because Williams is, without any doubt, one of the GOAT. Anyone who doesn't know that isn't worth arguing with about anything to do with tennis. Williams fans defensiveness makes it seem that they themselves have issues that they're projecting onto her.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 03:58 PM   #3
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
... meaning ....

suppose all the tournament directors want to build up Sharapova and tear down Serena

Fifteen years ago, people actually posted on tennis boards that Serena would never win a tournament. Now she's in the GOAT conversation. The worst of her critics have conceded her on-court ability, and off the court, she trains hard and avoids doing anything too terribly embarrassing.

I've posted this before. We Williams fans need to be less defensive. If Sharapova fans want to view her as Serena's equal, that's fine. Really. When a dog barks at a tank, there's no need to reflexively jump in the way to protect the tank.

Plus, the WTA needs players who are younger Serena to be popular. She's not gonna be around forever.

R.I.P. Bally
Sammo is online now View My Blog!  
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 04:14 PM   #4
country flag F2DaH

F2DaH is a splendid one to behold F2DaH is a splendid one to behold F2DaH is a splendid one to behold F2DaH is a splendid one to behold F2DaH is a splendid one to behold F2DaH is a splendid one to behold F2DaH is a splendid one to behold F2DaH is a splendid one to behold F2DaH is a splendid one to behold F2DaH is a splendid one to behold F2DaH is a splendid one to behold

If shots are being fired, strap up!!
F2DaH is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 04:15 PM   #5
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
Williams fans defensiveness makes it seem that they themselves have issues that they're projecting onto her.
I think that's a reasonable observation.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 04:23 PM   #6
country flag cehowardrx7
73,Old,Dirty,&Fast

cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute

Minorities always get put down.. Why do you think the term "great white hope" became famous?

This is nothing new, and IMO, it is NORMAL..

A non-issue, Serena and her fans don't pay this any mind. It always happens. That is why minorities have to be 3 to 4 times better than their white counterpart. Read and look at American History, it will prove me correct.

To name just a few you can research,

Jack Johnson

Wendell Scott

Jackie Robinson.

Edit: BTW, in before the close..

73,old, fast, and dirty..My daily warm up: http://www.cehoward.net/stclock.wmv / http://www.cehoward.net/situps1.AVI
Coming down from 3 miles up.. http://www.cehoward.net/188.jpg
My daily commuter motorcycle: http://www.cehoward.net/pretty4.JPG
My roadrace motorcycle: http://www.cehoward.net/630-P.jpg
cehowardrx7 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 04:26 PM   #7
country flag TrollPova
Don't Be A Hater, Dear

TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute

Has the board ever been more deranged than it is now?
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 04:46 PM   #8
country flag jacobruiz
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute

AT LONG LAST!!!! The DEMOCRATS BACK IN POWER!!!
OH, SAY DOES THE STAR-SPANGLED BANNER YET WAVE........ YES!!! YES!!!! YEESSSS!!!!! Don't waver, Mr. President - the people voted for you AND your agenda!!
Missouri State Fair - yet another reason to ban rodeos
jacobruiz is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 04:46 PM   #9
country flag TennisPhan

TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future

Quote:
... meaning ....

The problem is race/colour. I'm white and I can see the tension and racism too (especially on this forum). A lot of people are still racist. When most white people talk about Serena, the first idea that they have about her is how strong she is because shes black and black people have superior physique (which is bs, look at HW boxing today), then they say shes like a man, too strong for the white girls etc.. They feel like she has an unfair advantage. I agree that nobody is as athletic as the WS, but they are totally ignoring Serena's tennis skills.. That's why most SW fans on TF are very defensive.

Other than that there is really no other reason to be defensive, especially not because of Pova. Serena is going to be the GOAT in a couple of years from now, provided she stays healthy and that's a fact!
TennisPhan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 05:00 PM   #10
country flag jacobruiz
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've posted this before. We Williams fans need to be less defensive. If Sharapova fans want to view her as Serena's equal, that's fine.

Excuse me but which Sharapova fan has EVER stated that Maria is Serena's equal, tennis-wise?

Why do Williams fans always assume this from Maria's fans? It's like Maria is not worthy of having fans unless she's the equal of the all-time great? Her true fans love her anyway - we'd love to see her beat the goat of women's tennis but we are fans of Maria whether she does or not.

AT LONG LAST!!!! The DEMOCRATS BACK IN POWER!!!
OH, SAY DOES THE STAR-SPANGLED BANNER YET WAVE........ YES!!! YES!!!! YEESSSS!!!!! Don't waver, Mr. President - the people voted for you AND your agenda!!
Missouri State Fair - yet another reason to ban rodeos
jacobruiz is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 05:04 PM   #11
country flag Corswandt

Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollPova View Post
C. Miami 2006. Both sisters were MIA since early, embarrassing losses at the Australian Open, and Martha had just won IW and entered Miami as the player to beat. The hatred of the Willytards boiled over during the legendary Golovin match, and was it ugly. TF was filled with teh crazy for weeks.

Right now, it's almost as bad, for reasons that may at first seem different but deep down are always (always) the same. With Martha looking like less of a threat (oncourt) to ReeRee than ever, the triumphant Willytards feels like this is a unique chance for them: they can freely vent their ever enduring hatred and resentment and stifle any calls to saner, more civil behaviour just by mentioning the H2H. This attitude boils down to: you can't argue with me because I stan for a player that wins more stuff than the player you support.

In Volcana's case, it's the persistent trauma over having seen, back in 2004, sections of the US media showing enthusiasm (or so he perceived it) at the prospect of Martha surmounting ReeRee in terms of oncourt results and rating that prospect as positive for women's tennis, a reaction he, like many other Willytards, chalked up to racism. This of course didn't happen, as Volcana himself has spent the last 10 years telling this board. 10 fucking years, and still hasn't got over it.

But the resentment is still there because Martha, not ReeRee, remains the WTA's top money making machine, and for Willytards the universe's balance won't be restored until everyone, sponsors included, acknowledges the superiority of their champion.
Corswandt is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 05:33 PM   #12
country flag steni

steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo View Post
steni is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 05:43 PM   #13
country flag Bijoux0021

Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollPova View Post
Who are you kidding? You are a very BIG part of the derangement.

*Federer*Nadal*Djokovic*Tsonga*Murray*Monfils*Gulb is*Young*Safin*Mirnyi*

“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”

― Maya Angelou
Bijoux0021 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 05:48 PM   #14
country flag August

August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future

The same thing as on the ATP after mid-00s. Roger was too dominant and they slowed down the courts to help Rafa end Roger's dominance.

Now the WTA wants to end Serena's dominance. But unlike Rafa, Sharapova doesn't have the mental abilities to do that. Instead the WTA should concentrate on helping Vika, she has the mental abilities for that.

A proud fan of
Sergiy Stakhovsky
August is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 06:06 PM   #15
country flag Minimaa

Minimaa is a splendid one to behold Minimaa is a splendid one to behold Minimaa is a splendid one to behold Minimaa is a splendid one to behold Minimaa is a splendid one to behold Minimaa is a splendid one to behold Minimaa is a splendid one to behold Minimaa is a splendid one to behold Minimaa is a splendid one to behold Minimaa is a splendid one to behold Minimaa is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corswandt View Post
C. Miami 2006. Both sisters were MIA since early, embarrassing losses at the Australian Open, and Martha had just won IW and entered Miami as the player to beat. The hatred of the Willytards boiled over during the legendary Golovin match, and was it ugly. TF was filled with teh crazy for weeks.

Right now, it's almost as bad, for reasons that may at first seem different but deep down are always (always) the same. With Martha looking like less of a threat (oncourt) to ReeRee than ever, the triumphant Willytards feels like this is a unique chance for them: they can freely vent their ever enduring hatred and resentment and stifle any calls to saner, more civil behaviour just by mentioning the H2H. This attitude boils down to: you can't argue with me because I stan for a player that wins more stuff than the player you support.

In Volcana's case, it's the persistent trauma over having seen, back in 2004, sections of the US media showing enthusiasm (or so he perceived it) at the prospect of Martha surmounting ReeRee in terms of oncourt results and rating that prospect as positive for women's tennis, a reaction he, like many other Willytards, chalked up to racism. This of course didn't happen, as Volcana himself has spent the last 10 years telling this board. 10 fucking years, and still hasn't got over it.

But the resentment is still there because Martha, not ReeRee, remains the WTA's top money making machine, and for Willytards the universe's balance won't be restored until everyone, sponsors included, acknowledges the superiority of their champion.
Very good observation.

I don't get why some Serena fans feel they have to denigrate Maria's achievements to raise up Serena's? Any tennis fan knows that there is no rivalry between them. Serena is well on her way to cementing her status as one of the greatest players of a generation. Can't you just appreciate, savour and be grateful for that? Why the need for the old saying ' it's not enough to succeed, others must fail' to apply. Maria may 'only' have the career Grand Slam, but that is a bloody great achievement in my book and most tennis enthusiasts applaud this.
Minimaa is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread