Kim Clijsters says Serena Williams was her toughest opponent of her career - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 9th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #61
country flag fedhingis67

fedhingis67 is a name known to all fedhingis67 is a name known to all fedhingis67 is a name known to all fedhingis67 is a name known to all fedhingis67 is a name known to all fedhingis67 is a name known to all fedhingis67 is a name known to all fedhingis67 is a name known to all fedhingis67 is a name known to all fedhingis67 is a name known to all fedhingis67 is a name known to all
Re: Kim Clijsters says Serena Williams was her toughest opponent of her career

Kim's head to head against Serena could have very well been 5-4 Serena instead of 7-2 if Kim had a little more mental strength and won their matches at the 1999 US Open (she led 5-3 in the third) and 2003 Australian Open (5-1, 2 match points in the third).

At least the two wins she did score were pretty big, YEC against 2002Rena and US Open 2009 when Serena was holding 3 slams to her name.
fedhingis67 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 9th, 2013, 07:05 PM   #62
country flag Infiniti2001
Veelieve!!!

Infiniti2001 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Enfant Sauvage View Post
Eh... Let's not do this 6 out of 7 against Williams Sisters thing, as if Venus and Serena are even in the same stratosphere. Venus Price is a flop who lost to Kim five consecutive times, in addition to any good defensive player post-2008. The same Venus who Kim compiled a 5 match win streak against also had losing H2Hs against a ton of players not the least of which being Pironkova. Not to say winning against Venus isn't all well and good, but she only serves to drag down Serena's record. Why can't Kim winning their last meeting in two tight sets(2009) to bring their H2H to a respectable 2-7 be good enough?

That's like me saying "Venus is 13-9 against the Belgian Sisters " It's true, but it really doesn't mean much when the H2H is so vastly different between the actual players.
Was it necessary to bring Venus down to make Serena's light shine brighter?
Infiniti2001 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #63
country flag HRHoliviasmith

HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSumGame View Post
She's the only honest 4 slam winner in the last 15 yrs ...speaks the truth & speaks from her heart, no wonder she's so respected by her fellow players
shade.
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #64
country flag MercuriePL

MercuriePL MercuriePL MercuriePL MercuriePL MercuriePL MercuriePL MercuriePL MercuriePL MercuriePL MercuriePL MercuriePL

More like her Destroyer... Serena has no opponents in tennis, only her head
MercuriePL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 07:44 PM   #65
country flag Alejandrawrrr

Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedhingis67 View Post
Kim's head to head against Serena could have very well been 5-4 Serena instead of 7-2 if Kim had a little more mental strength and won their matches at the 1999 US Open (she led 5-3 in the third) and 2003 Australian Open (5-1, 2 match points in the third).

At least the two wins she did score were pretty big, YEC against 2002Rena and US Open 2009 when Serena was holding 3 slams to her name.
I think that's precisely why she would think Serena is her toughest opponent(despite personally expecting her to pick Henin of course). Being so close in big grand slam matches(serving for it at 99 USO & 2 MPs at 03 AO), not to mention also winning the first set only to lose in three in two big WTA finals(2002 Beijing and 2001 IW). It really wasn't until the 2009 USO that she could say she played a great match and simply outplayed Serena(I don't know if people here remember but the 2002 WTA final was of awful quality for players of their caliber. After outlasting Capriati Serena wasn't up to the test of playing another elite grinder less than 24 hours later.) I guess its gotta hurt more to be "so close but so far away" on a number of occasions than some of her finals against Henin where she could say she clearly didn't show up mentally or physically.

(Anyone playing Sharapova)
Alejandrawrrr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 07:52 PM   #66
country flag JCTennisFan

JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute JCTennisFan has a reputation beyond repute

It was quite obviously Henin and not Serena.

The 2009 US open is a great example of this.... possibly the most convincing defeat at a slam that Serena ever faced while in form.

She is just throwing Justine shade by saying that Serena was actually her toughest competition .

To think that Kim could have won 3 of the 4 slams in 2003 if she just got her head together sooner... .
JCTennisFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 07:55 PM   #67
country flag AcesHigh

AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute

An insult to Henin. As a Kim fan, Henin was Kim's kryptonite. She would always fold like a cheap tent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
When will you learn that "pushers" never make it past the club level, let alone #1 on the WTA computer? Will it be too late?
AcesHigh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #68
debby

debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTennisFan View Post
It was quite obviously Henin and not Serena.

The 2009 US open is a great example of this.... possibly the most convincing defeat at a slam that Serena ever faced while in form.

She is just throwing Justine shade by saying that Serena was actually her toughest competition .

To think that Kim could have won 3 of the 4 slams in 2003 if she just got her head together sooner... .
I don't know if this is a shade or not.

But maybe Kim doesn't see Justine as her toughest opponent but as the biggest influence on her career. I guess she picked Serena to emphasize her greatness tbh also matches against Serena are always so intense. Plus I guess she focuses more on her second career than the first one.

Justine's toughest opponents were the Williams sisters especially Venus, but she keeps saying that she would have achieved nothing without Kim and vice-versa. Kim agreed with her many times.

Also, these maybe 3 Slams wins in 2003 were never in Kim's hands. Maybe for the AO but she would have faced Venus which was not that easy. And RG she got owned, nothing to do with her head. Same for the USO.
debby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #69
country flag AcesHigh

AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute

Also, it was clear for the longest that Kim didn't like Justine. No surprise she doesn't give her any credit in this scenario. Meanwhile, Kim's always had a ton of respect for Serena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
When will you learn that "pushers" never make it past the club level, let alone #1 on the WTA computer? Will it be too late?
AcesHigh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #70
Serenita

Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
An insult to Henin. As a Kim fan, Henin was Kim's kryptonite. She would always fold like a cheap tent.
So she's liar?

Kim has had time to reflect, and understandably so Serena was her toughest opponent.

Serenita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #71
country flag JarkaFish
Multiform

JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenita View Post
So she's liar?

Kim has had time to reflect, and understandably so Serena was her toughest opponent.
How many GS finals has Serena beaten Kim in?
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #72
debby

debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
Also, it was clear for the longest that Kim didn't like Justine. No surprise she doesn't give her any credit in this scenario. Meanwhile, Kim's always had a ton of respect for Serena.
I thought they were friends?
Or it is just PR and all apparences.
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #73
Serenita

Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
How many GS finals has Serena beaten Kim in?
What does GS finals have to do with anything. She was ask who's your toughest opponent, she replied the one she has a losing Head to Head.

Serenita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #74
debby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenita View Post
What does GS finals have to do with anything. She was ask who's your toughest opponent, she replied the one she has a losing Head to Head.
To be honest, Slams finals lost >>>>> the rest
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 08:11 PM   #75
country flag Serena = GOAT

Serena = GOAT is a name known to all Serena = GOAT is a name known to all Serena = GOAT is a name known to all Serena = GOAT is a name known to all Serena = GOAT is a name known to all Serena = GOAT is a name known to all Serena = GOAT is a name known to all Serena = GOAT is a name known to all Serena = GOAT is a name known to all Serena = GOAT is a name known to all Serena = GOAT is a name known to all

I've heard rumors that Serena is the GOAT.
Serena = GOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote