Which was Serena's easiest road to a Slam title? - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which?

2010 Australian Open 2 2.44%
2010 Wimbledon 31 37.80%
2012 US Open 49 59.76%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 9th, 2013, 03:57 PM   #76
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Which was Serena's easiest road to a Slam title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Enfant Sauvage View Post
... Ivanovic is complete garbage post-08(even now where she's pushing top ten, she's beatable by any half decent player. I mean even Sjogrenus is still beating her ) I omitted slump Kuznetsova in my discussion because I literally didn't think anyone, even YOU would consider her a notable scalp. I mean, six months later, she's playing qualies to get into premier events This is why I only mentioned Stosur and Kerber. If you think beating those players in three, and in moderate straights is a better accomplishment than 5&0 / 2&0 killings of Vika and Caro I can respect your opinion, but don't bring garbage like Slumpvanovic and Slumpnetsova in the discussion. Their name and achievements 3-4 years ago is the only thing remotely relevant about them, which isn't to say Sveta can't regain her form, but she clearly hasn't had it for the past 52 weeks.

Yet again, this is TOTAL double-standards. When it comes to Serena, you guys claim she should get full credit for beating former/future Slam champions even if they're nowhere near Slam-winning form at that time (that's the only way you can claim her 2010 draws weren't cakewalks), yet when it's another player, it doesn't matter their opponent's previous accomplishments, it's only their form at the time that counts? Give me a break

...and this whole argument demonstrates why "cakewalk draws" have never and will never be a legitimate factor in assessing how strong a Slam win is, because once you open that can of worms it becomes entirely subjective and always involves double standards. The only thing that can maybe be used as a caveat is the strength of the general field at the time -- as such, you can maybe put an asterisk next to some of the 2011 Slam winners seeing as how weak the sport generally was at the time with so many elite players injured/out of form, but at the beginning of 2012 RG nearly everyone agreed the sport was in great shape, so no asterisks regardless of who beat who at that tournament (Similarly, the sport was also in great shape when Serena won her recent Slams -- I'd actually say that, rather than the poll options, the only Slams of Serena's that you can put an asterisk next to are her '09 ones, particularly the AO, where Kim and Henin were out of the game, Maria was injured, top level was generally in chaos, etc.).

Last edited by dsanders06 : Jan 9th, 2013 at 04:05 PM.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 9th, 2013, 04:01 PM   #77
country flag Stonerpova
`

Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute

US Open 2012 IMO. Still far from a cakewalk, but Ivanovic, Errani, and Azarenka in her last three matches is "easier" than any other run I can think of. I was originally going to say Wimbledon 2010, because that was the most NID slam win since I've been a tennis-watcher, but on second thought Sharapova, Li, and Kvitova back-to-back-to-back is pretty tough, and they all gave Serena at least one tough set.

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/5492/maria1y.pnghttp://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4647/xk7s.png
Sharapova Ivanovic Jankovic Pavs Wozniacki Wickmayer Goerges Cetkovska Vaidisova
Tweet. Tumble. Blog.

Last edited by Stonerpova : Jan 9th, 2013 at 04:13 PM.
Stonerpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 04:10 PM   #78
country flag J4m3ka

J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
Yet again, this is TOTAL double-standards. When it comes to Serena, you guys claim she should get full credit for beating former/future Slam champions even if they're nowhere near Slam-winning form at that time (that's the only way you can claim her 2010 draws weren't cakewalks), yet when it's another player, it doesn't matter their opponent's previous accomplishments, it's only their form at the time that counts? Give me a break
Kvitova, Stosur, Li in 2010 were hardly light years away from their form in the following year and were certainly closer to their Slam winning form than Kuznetsova and Ivanovic were in 2012. Azarenka put a very good show in at Australia for each of the 4 years before she won the Slam, only losing to Na and the best Australian Open player in the Open Era, so I don't think it is a "total" double-standard.
"But every sport improves dramatically every three-to-five years, and I think we've see that in the sport of tennis. These guys just keep getting better and better. There's no comparison between what guys are doing now to 10 years ago"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Agassi
"Listen, I could sit here and tell you that I'm the best of the best, but unfortunately, the best get better. That's just how it is. Speed, athleticism, change in technology, and why people don't come to the net anymore because of the angles that are created. It's a whole different set of circumstances out there"
J4m3ka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #79
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDream View Post
oh please, serena won over half her slams in one of the most competitive eras ever. Maria got tougher draws at US Open and Wimbledon and we saw what happened there.

And, get over this choking nonsense, because if we live in a world where comebacks don't happen, Sharapova would've lost to Petrova in new york and to kvitova in Australia with all the break points she saved off of kvitova errors. Then, if she lost, she wouldn't be seeded where she was in Australia, Serena doesn't draw Razzano, and the entire tournament is changed. Maria needs comfortable draws now.
She doesn't. She reached OZ final with Serena, Lisicki, Kvitova in her draw. Won FO with Serena, Li, Kvitova in her draw.
doomsday is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 04:43 PM   #80
country flag harloo

harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute

Serena has won slams in 3 different eras which is remarkable in itself. She's faced extremely tough competition, dominated the tour at one point, struggled and still won, and came back to win again. She has proven over and over again that she can win anytime she puts the effort in.

It doesn't matter what opponent was on the other side of the net when she won her slams. She was going to win them anyways. It's to bad Sharapova fans are upset about Serena's ability considering Maria was able to finally take advantage of one of her cakewalk slam draws by winning her fourth slam after a four year drought.

harloo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 04:49 PM   #81
Viktymise
King

Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by @danieln1 View Post
slumping Ivanovic

Totally off-topic, but considering that the USO QF last year was VIP's first GS QF in 4 years, I think it's safe to say that this wasn't one of VIP's "slump" periods.

That scrub's whole career has just been one big "slump".
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 04:54 PM   #82
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by harloo View Post
Serena has won slams in 3 different eras which is remarkable in itself. She's faced extremely tough competition, dominated the tour at one point, struggled and still won, and came back to win again. She has proven over and over again that she can win anytime she puts the effort in.

It doesn't matter what opponent was on the other side of the net when she won her slams. She was going to win them anyways. It's to bad Sharapova fans are upset about Serena's ability considering Maria was able to finally take advantage of one of her cakewalk slam draws by winning her fourth slam after a four year drought.
Oh look, more double standards. When it's Serena, so-called "cakewalk draws" don't matter because she "would've won them anyway", but the same doesn't apply to Maria's "cakewalk draws"

Serena's only won Slams in two eras btw, not three.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 05:19 PM   #83
Serenita

Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDream View Post
oh please, serena won over half her slams in one of the most competitive eras ever. Maria got tougher draws at US Open and Wimbledon and we saw what happened there.

And, get over this choking nonsense, because if we live in a world where comebacks don't happen, Sharapova would've lost to Petrova in new york and to kvitova in Australia with all the break points she saved off of kvitova errors. Then, if she lost, she wouldn't be seeded where she was in Australia, Serena doesn't draw Razzano, and the entire tournament is changed. Maria needs comfortable draws now.
Exactly, hence that bagel in AO 12.

Serenita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 05:22 PM   #84
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Ah Douchesanders, please...Masha barely has 4 majors. You wanna compare her to Serena?! Serena just since '10 has as many majors as Maria has in her whole career.

You win 15 majors, there's gonna be some easier ones in them...no biggie.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
18 majors:5256

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 05:34 PM   #85
country flag Wiggly

Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute

Ivanovic making her first Slam QF in years and Errani as your SF opponent is the epitome of an easy draw.
Wiggly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 05:35 PM   #86
Miss Atomic Bomb
Legendary

Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute

People complaining about Errani in the SF being a cakedraw, what do you call a draw with Errani in the final then?

Miss Atomic Bomb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 06:02 PM   #87
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Atomic Bomb View Post
People complaining about Errani in the SF being a cakedraw, what do you call a draw with Errani in the final then?
Errani on HC is more of a cakewalk than on clay court, that's not even a question.
doomsday is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 06:09 PM   #88
Miss Atomic Bomb
Legendary

Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
Errani on HC is more of a cakewalk than on clay court, that's not even a question.
Errani on every surface is a cakewalk. And Azarenka in a final on HC>>>>>

Miss Atomic Bomb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 06:14 PM   #89
country flag Pump-it-UP
Senior Stan

Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute

Only on Tennisforum would tards legitimately believe that beating Henin, Li, Azarenka, Stosur, Kvitova, and Suarez Navarro (defending QFist who beat Venus the year prior) is an easy path to a slam title. Azarenka's and Li's records are something like 20-2 and 20-3 on plexicushion (with those 5 losses only coming to each other + Clijsters) since losing to Serena in 2010. Serena couldn't have asked for a more brutal draw.

Anyway, USO 2012 is the answer to this question. Her R2 and R3 opponents were tricky match ups for her, but her draw was a total joke up until that final.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax View Post
her last two titles were both won thanks to huge chokes from opponents as well - Zheng fogetting how to play when leading 4-3 40-0 in the third set at Wimby and then of course Vuvurenka folding like a cheap tent in the US Open final too. There is no other player in history who benefited from choking opposition more. And then her tards have a nerve to take shots at Maria and her slam wins? Please...
Such a score never existed. Zheng's BP's came at 2-1*. She was 4 points away from the match on three separate occasions, but Serena held to love each time. Not a choke.

GO AWAY Bitch!!! We don't want your Avon.
Pump-it-UP is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #90
country flag Stonerpova
`

Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou View Post
Ah Douchesanders, please...Masha barely has 4 majors. You wanna compare her to Serena?! Serena just since '10 has as many majors as Maria has in her whole career.

You win 15 majors, there's gonna be some easier ones in them...no biggie.
I'm sorry how does one barely win four majors?

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/5492/maria1y.pnghttp://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4647/xk7s.png
Sharapova Ivanovic Jankovic Pavs Wozniacki Wickmayer Goerges Cetkovska Vaidisova
Tweet. Tumble. Blog.

Stonerpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote