Mona Barthel - Volume 2 - Page 30 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 12th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #436
country flag LefandePatty

LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

Mona
I set the alarm clock but couldn't wake up
It looks like Mona had her chances too in this match, wasted a few BP's in the second set, too bad
Anyway I still think it's a godd result, SF + F, and Vesnina is also playing excellent tennis at the moment, so I don't think this is a 'bad' loss.
Now onto the Australian Open with the tricky first round against Pervak, good luck Mona!!
LefandePatty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 12th, 2013, 10:35 AM   #437
country flag Michael!
indescribable

Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute

couldnt see it but not surprised that Vesnina won!
Mona reached the final but never played that great, too many errors in general and her serve wasn´t really working this week, still many things to improve but great to see that even average playing Mona can reach WTA finals
Still a good start into 2013, hope she reaches 3rd round in Melbourne now, all chances
Michael! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 10:58 AM   #438
country flag crazillo

crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael! View Post
couldnt see it but not surprised that Vesnina won!
Mona reached the final but never played that great, too many errors in general and her serve wasn´t really working this week, still many things to improve but great to see that even average playing Mona can reach WTA finals
Still a good start into 2013, hope she reaches 3rd round in Melbourne now, all chances
I was like "didn't I read this posting 5 minutes ago or am I crazy"?? Then I saw you just recycled a little bit. Haha :-)
"There is a saying that there is no friendship in tennis, but I've proven the opposite. After all of them are here, it means that there is friendship and I want to thank them for being here tonight. I hope the fans are happy too."

My blog about my semester spent in China (bilingual in both German and English):
http://crazillo.jimdo.com! Please feel free to make comments!!
crazillo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 12:42 PM   #439
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMatz View Post
So Mona lost the final because of her attitude, on purpose ?
I agree with you. All this talk about Mona's on-court attitude being her downfall is utter rubbish.

It's indicative of how many tennis fans nowadays automatically assume you have to be a cµnt in order to be a champion.

That's a (mostly American) myth that already long ago has been debunked by the likes of Evert and Borg and Edberg and so forth...

Last edited by Meelis : Jan 12th, 2013 at 05:45 PM.
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #440
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMatz View Post
So Mona lost the final because of her attitude, on purpose ?
Your post seems strange. If a player's "attitude" is part of the issue (I don't think it is with Barthel)it has nothing to do with it being "on purpose." Almost all top players have a intense drive to win - a hunger. I don't know if that drive can be cultivated.
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 02:10 PM   #441
country flag heavyhorse

heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute

Good god Mona - get a coach. You have so much potential and really you shouldn't be losing to players like Vesnina
heavyhorse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 02:13 PM   #442
country flag Patrick345

Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecumseh View Post
I think Pervak as a solid but not powerful baseliner should be a good matchup for Mona. So i am optimistic that we will see our girl winning on monday.
That Pervak is a lefty might help. No fh vs. fh cc battles. Even against a lefty forehand I´d take Mona´s backhand, so she should win those cc battles and then be able to rip the bh dtl. On the other hand, Barthel´s favourite bh dtl return will play into Pervak´s fh and she can redirect it crosscourt. The question is whether Pervak can absorb the huge power with some control and move the ball around a few times. Mots of the time, she could not against top players. If she can (like Vesnina) Barthel will be in a world of trouble.

Not to sound like a broken record, but until she gets a fulltime coach to work and raise her defensive side of the ball to acceptable standards, she is not going anywhere near the top. What we saw against Vesnina is not poor Barthel. It is normal Barthel. In essence her defensive liabilities make Barthel what most here would call a stupid ballbasher, even though it is by default. When she brings her A-Game (serve/return) she can dominate through them to hide her huge defensive deficiencies. If she doesn´t every player that can introduce some sharp angles, dropshots and deep balls into the match will draw errors quickly.
Quiet. 24 SLAMS.
Patrick345 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 02:35 PM   #443
country flag Setsuna.
KaWOW! Leonard.

Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute

Am I the only one who noticed that she doesn't adjust her grip? She can't even hit slice BH because she doesn't adjust her grip at all.

Chakvetadze Barthel Kerber Bencic Pavlyuchenkova Halep Muguruza Lottner
Setsuna. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 02:44 PM   #444
country flag Setsuna.
KaWOW! Leonard.

Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick345 View Post
That Pervak is a lefty might help. No fh vs. fh cc battles. Even against a lefty forehand I´d take Mona´s backhand, so she should win those cc battles and then be able to rip the bh dtl. On the other hand, Barthel´s favourite bh dtl return will play into Pervak´s fh and she can redirect it crosscourt. The question is whether Pervak can absorb the huge power with some control and move the ball around a few times. Mots of the time, she could not against top players. If she can (like Vesnina) Barthel will be in a world of trouble.

Not to sound like a broken record, but until she gets a fulltime coach to work and raise her defensive side of the ball to acceptable standards, she is not going anywhere near the top. What we saw against Vesnina is not poor Barthel. It is normal Barthel. In essence her defensive liabilities make Barthel what most here would call a stupid ballbasher, even though it is by default. When she brings her A-Game (serve/return) she can dominate through them to hide her huge defensive deficiencies. If she doesn´t every player that can introduce some sharp angles, dropshots and deep balls into the match will draw errors quickly.
Agree with all this especially the bolded part.

Chakvetadze Barthel Kerber Bencic Pavlyuchenkova Halep Muguruza Lottner
Setsuna. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 02:44 PM   #445
country flag Patrick345

Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisagi. View Post
Am I the only one who noticed that she doesn't adjust her grip? She can't even hit slice BH because she doesn't adjust her grip at all.
I don´t get that at all. Don´t you experiment with that as a kid? You notice that grip doesn´t work (looks like she is about to break her wrist ) and you try a different one till it feels right. Some of her attempts are just cringe-worthy.
Quiet. 24 SLAMS.
Patrick345 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 02:59 PM   #446
country flag crazillo

crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes she plays with the same grip on both sides. I noticed that when I saw her in Copenhagen. Dunno about the serve though.
"There is a saying that there is no friendship in tennis, but I've proven the opposite. After all of them are here, it means that there is friendship and I want to thank them for being here tonight. I hope the fans are happy too."

My blog about my semester spent in China (bilingual in both German and English):
http://crazillo.jimdo.com! Please feel free to make comments!!
crazillo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 03:35 PM   #447
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
She couldn't slice, period.

Some of her slice attempts on her forehand side were just as abysmal as those on the BH side.

I like to believe she actually can hit those and that it's just a matter of getting used to

And getting used to requires good training.... and that requires good coaching.

So it all comes back to the same thing with Mona
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 04:23 PM   #448
country flag Tecumseh

Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazillo View Post
Yes she plays with the same grip on both sides. I noticed that when I saw her in Copenhagen. Dunno about the serve though.
When Mona plays her normal forehand she uses a semi-western grip. When you look at the position of her thumb you can see it clearly. Only for her defensive forehand slice she uses a continental grip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mona Barthel.jpg (42.1 KB, 9 views)
Tecumseh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #449
country flag Rex59

Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of Rex59 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhorse View Post
Good god Mona - get a coach. You have so much potential and really you shouldn't be losing to players like Vesnina
Rex59 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #450
country flag Losing Streak

Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
I agree with you. All this talk about Mona's on-court attitude being her downfall is utter rubbish.

It's indicative of how many tennis fans nowadays automatically assume you have to be a cµnt in order to be a champion.

That's a (mostly American) myth that already long ago has been debunked by the likes of Evert and Borg and Edberg and so forth...
This.

Her composure is a strenght and her apparent calm doesn't mean she isn't determined to fight and win.

Krunya Kichenoks Pliskovas Sasnovich Kremen Kovinic Bencic Vekic Diyas Smitkova Bellis Svitolina Cirstea Mlad Garcia Pavlovic Rezai Jovanovski Mitu Savic Savinykh Evtimova Tomova Kalashnikova
Losing Streak is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote