Mona Barthel - Volume 2 - Page 159 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 24th, 2013, 04:39 PM   #2371
country flag Melange

Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

Mona should learn more about mental strength from Tursunov

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8URlLrFUJ0
Melange is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 24th, 2013, 05:34 PM   #2372
country flag Hartson

Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute

Really pathetic and shame play. Mona need to regroup.
Hartson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #2373
country flag CillyUltra

CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute CillyUltra has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"I felt so totally tired mentally”

Mona Barthel, the Porsche Team Germany player, surprisingly lost her opening match at the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix 6-4, 6-1 to the Czech Republic’s Lucie Safarova. After her defeat in only 53 minutes, she talked about: . . .

. . . her performance:
“I definitely didn’t play my best tennis today. The Fed Cup weekend with two three-setters was obviously physically exhausting. Emotionally too, as I was under immense pressure in my match on Sunday. After we had finally won and the tension had disappeared, I felt so totally tired mentally. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to get in the right frame of mind for today’s match.”

. . . her opponent:
“She played really well. As a result it was very hard for me to get in to the game. She had the better shots in almost every rally. And everything came together.”

. . . the coming weeks:
“I had ten great days here in Stuttgart. I’d have liked to have done better at my home tournament but on the whole I’m pretty satisfied, especially as Lucie played really well. Now I’m looking forward to the coming tournaments.”
(porsche-tennis.com)
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 05:48 AM   #2374
country flag joy division

joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future

Quote:
"I felt so totally tired mentally”

“I definitely didn’t play my best tennis today. The Fed Cup weekend with two three-setters was obviously physically exhausting. Emotionally too, as I was under immense pressure in my match on Sunday. After we had finally won and the tension had disappeared, I felt so totally tired mentally. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to get in the right frame of mind for today’s match.”
It was not quite unexpected that Mona would argue like that.

On the other hand you may ask yourself, how can you be mentally or physically tired of such a thing ?
Mona actually was playing two matches on that week-end and was visibly reliefed of the happy-ending.

FedCup was a different thing in many aspects but imo since Indian Wells she has a little lost her game, is not quite on the court and tends to give up very early in matches. So the reasons for her bad performances must also have some other contexts.
joy division is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 06:02 AM   #2375
country flag sortof

sortof is just really nice sortof is just really nice sortof is just really nice sortof is just really nice sortof is just really nice sortof is just really nice sortof is just really nice sortof is just really nice sortof is just really nice sortof is just really nice sortof is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy division View Post
Absolutely unprofessional and alarming.
I watched most of the game and my conclusions are in total agreement with yours. Overall a very, very unprofessional performance.
sortof is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 07:24 AM   #2376
country flag Tecumseh

Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future

Quote:
It was not quite unexpected that Mona would argue like that.

On the other hand you may ask yourself, how can you be mentally or physically tired of such a thing ?
Mona actually was playing two matches on that week-end and was visibly reliefed of the happy-ending.

FedCup was a different thing in many aspects but imo since Indian Wells she has a little lost her game, is not quite on the court and tends to give up very early in matches. So the reasons for her bad performances must also have some other contexts.
Mona's explanation for her performance yesterday is an inappropriate excuse for what really happened yesterday. The fed cup is by no means the reason for her collapse. Safarova played herself fed cup and lost the decisive match against Vinci in three sets and was crying after that. So i rather think that she could be the one who was negatively effected by last weekend.

In Mona's case it is rather about her high expectations with regard to her game. Everytime she gets aware that she isn't able to produce her best tennis (her "Lieblingstennis") she seems to be so disappointed that she gets into a destructive frame of mind. But what does Mona believe? That she should take apart a talented player like Safarova easily?

There is one thing for sure, Mona won't go far with this mental constitution and i hope that her new coaching team has an idea of what these problems are about.

And Mona, you don't need to request your coach during a match if you are not ready to listen.
Tecumseh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 07:38 AM   #2377
country flag joy division

joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecumseh View Post
Mona's explanation for her performance yesterday is an inappropriate excuse for what really happened yesterday. The fed cup is by no means the reason for her collapse. Safarova played herself fed cup and lost the decisive match against Vinci in three sets and was crying after that. So i rather think that she could be the one who was negatively effected by last weekend.

In Mona's case it is rather about her high expectations with regard to her game. Everytime she gets aware that she isn't able to produce her best tennis (her "Lieblingstennis") she seems to be so disappointed that she gets into a destructive frame of mind. But what does Mona believe? That she should take apart a talented player like Safarova easily?

There is one thing for sure, Mona won't go far with this mental constitution and i hope that her new coaching team has an idea of what these problems are about.

And Mona, you don't need to request your coach during a match if you are not ready to listen.
Well observed and analyzed.
joy division is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 07:57 AM   #2378
country flag Schnffy

Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of

Quote:

safarova played 21(!) matches since 2004, so she really has a lot of fed cup expierience, while for mona it was her very first appearance...so i can understand that this new situation was exhausting for mona, but not why she was unable to put any effort at all into the 2nd set...
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #2379
country flag Tecumseh

Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnffy View Post
safarova played 21(!) matches since 2004, so she really has a lot of fed cup expierience, while for mona it was her very first appearance...so i can understand that this new situation was exhausting for mona, but not why she was unable to put any effort at all into the 2nd set...
This is a good point! But on the other hand Mona should have gained some confidence and motivation out of this successful weekend. In the end the fed cup weekend can't be the explanation why she started smashing second serves with this kind of destructive attitude.
Tecumseh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 11:36 AM   #2380
country flag HowardH

HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute

It's quite a difficult issue to pinpoint, but I suspect that people could be hitting quite close to the mark.

Quote:

A well thought-out thesis.

She seems to have a defeatist streak in her, where if she cannot play the way she wishes she sometimes starts to believe that she will not win that match, and then proceeds to make her belief reality.
HowardH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 06:49 PM   #2381
country flag sortof

sortof is just really nice sortof is just really nice sortof is just really nice sortof is just really nice sortof is just really nice sortof is just really nice sortof is just really nice sortof is just really nice sortof is just really nice sortof is just really nice sortof is just really nice

Quote:
In the end the fed cup weekend can't be the explanation why she started smashing second serves with this kind of destructive attitude.
...or why she kept hammering easy returns into the net or way out of the field - just to continue this line of thought. Analysing and finding the underlying reasons for this "destructive attitude" will be of crucial importance for her future career. Barthel effectively plays at times as if she doesn´t want to win, in other words as if she really wants to lose. Whom does she try to punish with this behaviour? Her mother? Or herself in an act of self-hatred?
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #2382
Setsuna.

Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute

Unacceptable excuse from Mona.
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 07:52 PM   #2383
country flag tennisfreak13

tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of

In poker its called TILT. Thats exactly what she was in 2. set.
tennisfreak13 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #2384
country flag sortof

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak13 View Post
In poker its called TILT. Thats exactly what she was in 2. set.
Signs of heading into a "TILT" state were already evident in set 1.

Last edited by sortof : Apr 26th, 2013 at 05:44 AM.
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 10:57 PM   #2385
country flag HowardH

HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute

Now that the match is posted on youtube (posted in the video thread) I'm watching the second set for the first time. It's... bizarre. Mind was not in the right place to compete at all. No interest in adjusting or rallying, just wants every point to be over. Even worse than the Pegula match I think, attitude-wise.

Quote:
1-2
Mona not in the mood for competitive sport.
A succinct summary of the situation. A pro athlete should play every match with a certain attitude. You can't let your mood prevent you from doing a professional job, but Mona seems to be vulnerable to this. Interestingly, it's very hard to pick any of this up from her interviews, but the pressure of competitive tennis often shows up a side of a player that they can otherwise keep hidden. Mona needs to solve this problem urgently. As an intelligent young woman, she should realise that what she is doing is counter to her goals to play good tennis and win matches. You have to make decisions that help you to do better in your tennis, and that includes choosing to have a certain attitude when you play.

Last edited by HowardH : Apr 25th, 2013 at 11:15 PM.
HowardH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote