Mona Barthel - Volume 2 - Page 157 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 20th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #2341
country flag joy division

joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

Pity
Mona`s loss against Ana was first of all due to her bad nerves at her first FedCup appearance. Especially at the beginning of the first set and towards the end of the match Mona was very shaky.
A win would have been the perfect restart for the clay season but it wasn`t meant to be. Mona was quite satisfied but of course not really happy after the match.

Last edited by joy division : Apr 20th, 2013 at 03:11 PM.
joy division is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 20th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #2342
country flag Tecumseh

Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future

^ And Mona's backhand DTL didn't work today.
Tecumseh is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 03:31 PM   #2343
country flag Setsuna.
KaWOW! Leonard.

Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecumseh View Post
So true. Her BH DTL didn't work at all and that costed her the match imo.

Chakvetadze Barthel Kerber Muguruza Pavlyuchenkova Halep Bencic Shvedova Lottner
Setsuna. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #2344

joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future

Quote:
Right, in the first set her backhand cross and dtl even didn`t work at all.
But her game overall was hesitant and not really working during big parts of the match. I think in the whole that was mostly because of her nerves.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 04:05 PM   #2345
country flag mk27

mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute

That was her 4th loss in a row

Will be interesting if she will play against Jovanovski tomorrow
mk27 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 04:12 PM   #2346
country flag Setsuna.
KaWOW! Leonard.

Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute

Hope Rittner gives her another chance. Almost sure she will beat Bojana even if she plays like she did today.

Chakvetadze Barthel Kerber Muguruza Pavlyuchenkova Halep Bencic Shvedova Lottner
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #2347
country flag HowardH

HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that Mona is prone to nerves. When my dad saw her play the first time that was his first thought, that she was prone to getting nervous. Ana is dangerous, however, Mona really should be able to beat Bojana.
HowardH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 04:22 PM   #2348
country flag Setsuna.
KaWOW! Leonard.

Stuttgart MD:

[1] Sharapova BYE
Barthel vs Safarova
Ivanovic vs Petkovic
Q vs [8] Petrova

Old Apr 20th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #2349
country flag Tecumseh

Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardH View Post
I agree that Mona is prone to nerves. When my dad saw her play the first time that was his first thought, that she was prone to getting nervous. Ana is dangerous, however, Mona really should be able to beat Bojana.
Yes, she undoubtedly has to work on this issue. Otherwise it could cost her a brilliant career. Today she only played well when it didn't really matter, for example when she was 2-5* behind in the first set or during the second set. Mona broke Ana three (!) times when the latter served for the first set and nonetheless Mona couldn't pull off the tiebreak. That's pretty unusual because normally you gain a lot of confidence after such a comeback.

But on the other hand we have to consider that it was Mona's fed cup debut and some nerves in such a situation are normal. I have seen other german players doing worse on their debut.

To chose Mona for the second singles spot was a risky (but also brave) strategy from Rittner given these circumstances and let's hope that Mona will be less nervous tomorrow in order to beat Bojana.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 05:00 PM   #2350
country flag Tecumseh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyla. View Post
Stuttgart MD:

[1] Sharapova BYE
Barthel vs Safarova
Ivanovic vs Petkovic
Q vs [8] Petrova
OMG! Mona's draw really is a disaster! Let's hope she can at least beat Safarova who can be a dangerous player at times.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 10:12 PM   #2351

Quote:

To chose Mona for the second singles spot was a risky (but also brave) strategy from Rittner given these circumstances and let's hope that Mona will be less nervous tomorrow in order to beat Bojana.
It went wrong, but Rittner`s strategy to bring on Mona against Ana was absolutely reasonable to me.

And yes, hopefully Mona will be ready tomorrow.
Otherwise her FedCup debut would rather turn belly-up, esspecially when Germany should loose the whole match.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 10:12 PM   #2352
country flag crazillo

crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute

I think Mona did well given it was a really big occasion for her. She also stated that she didn't feel loose the first couple of games and this was not any different for Petkovic for example.

She has to work on her BH DTL. For some reason, Mona always uses this shot when under pressure, while a crosscourt BH would be more sensible at times. It's quite interesting shot selection but it can be very risky, too.

Hope she will play again tomorrow and get a win. It would be easier if Angie can take the lead for Germany.
"There is a saying that there is no friendship in tennis, but I've proven the opposite. After all of them are here, it means that there is friendship and I want to thank them for being here tonight. I hope the fans are happy too."

My blog about my semester spent in China (bilingual in both German and English):
http://crazillo.jimdo.com! Please feel free to make comments!!
crazillo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 06:47 AM   #2353

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazillo View Post
She has to work on her BH DTL. For some reason, Mona always uses this shot when under pressure, while a crosscourt BH would be more sensible at times. It's quite interesting shot selection but it can be very risky, too.
Of course she has to work on it but I don`t know whether you can pick out just one thing in the question about what went wrong yesterday.

Tennis as a sport demands clear thinking, technical accuracy and a good physical condition at any time. You could say it`s a cruel sport at times, because when just one component is missing or letting you down your whole game is affected and it`s not easy to fix it.

Yesterday Mona`s performance as a whole was first of all affected by her emotional state.
In a few words - Being tense and no clear thinking means moving bad and poor shot selection and execution. Followed by impatience and loss of confidence.
These issues interact and she couldn`t really shake it off and get into her game during the whole match.
Even the backhand which usually is Mona`s most solid strike didn`t work.
So working on technical and physical issues is one thing but getting to know yourself and what the sport actually is about is the other thing.

Last edited by joy division : Apr 21st, 2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 10:56 AM   #2354
country flag Melange

Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute

No pressure Mona
Melange is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 11:12 AM   #2355
country flag Setsuna.
KaWOW! Leonard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melange View Post
No pressure Mona