Mona Barthel - Volume 2 - Page 154 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 12:41 AM   #2296
Setsuna.

Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazillo View Post
Isn't it strange though? Mona usually comes across as not emotional and cool-headed. And then we hear the probably most explosive outbreak of emotion by a player EVER recorded during coaching on the tour.
I really didn't get this impression from Mona TBH. Most of the times I feel that she just keeps her anger inside her and doesn't show it when things doesn't go her way. Today that wasn't the case. She finally broke down and couldn't control her anger. I think if you let your anger out on court then maybe that could make you feel a bit better but the dangerous thing here is when you let that anger take full control of you just like what happened with Mona today after the 2nd set. It's a very negative energy for Mona and makes her play worse. Some players (like Serena) are good at turning this rage into a postive energy and starts playing better with better focus.

Hope Mona learns with time how to control her emotions.
Advertisement

Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 12:45 AM   #2297
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by elba View Post
I said not: yoga and medication can help, I said, she has to stop play half-heartedly tennis and do stg else.

In tennis, it's not about you can achieve great points, it's all about being better in two sets - similar to chess or boxing.
I'm not down with the meds at all but other than that I agree with you.
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 12:51 AM   #2298
Setsuna.

Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe she has some personal issues atm. We have no idea about what's happening in her life.
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 01:41 AM   #2299
country flag Patrick345

Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute

To put it in very simple: Every player looks to their coach/box in moments of distress, Barthel doesn´t. That tells me she doesn´t believe in her mother as a coach. At that point they should find a quick solution. Jesus literally appeared out of nowhere for her in Paris. They should have nailed him down right there.
Quiet. 24 SLAMS.
Patrick345 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 01:44 AM   #2300
country flag -tim83-

-tim83- has a brilliant future -tim83- has a brilliant future -tim83- has a brilliant future -tim83- has a brilliant future -tim83- has a brilliant future -tim83- has a brilliant future -tim83- has a brilliant future -tim83- has a brilliant future -tim83- has a brilliant future -tim83- has a brilliant future -tim83- has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardH View Post
Missed this but reports are troubling. Especially reports that "she isn't trying". I don't understand that. Maybe she was just playing so badly it looked like she wasn't trying?
No, unfortunately she had shown a poor attitude especially in the second set. She simply wasn't trying. No excuses there today!

I like Mona but she has to work on that...
-tim83- is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 09:47 AM   #2301
country flag Schnffy

Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcVtQonHJdw

mona was pretty relaxed the day before her match in this interview...talked about the city and her good prep...reflected and intelligent as always...

doesnt seem she has major problems in her life, and it's just about "growing up"... hopefully she takes the right steps to avoid these kind of losses in future...that was just a no show and painful to watch...
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 10:50 AM   #2302
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecumseh View Post
She seems to set herself under too much pressure
You nailed it.

That's what I believe happened. She has raised her own expectation of herself

And with greater expectations come greater disappointments. And of course with these raising expectations also come the responsibility of raising the level of coaching and overall professionalism. I'm sure she knows that arleady which is why she was so emotional. So I don't buy this talk here on TF that she allegedly is "not trying". That's utter BS.

Perhaps what needs to happen is for the German tennis bond to reach out to her and work something out. Maybe she doesn't have enough connections in high places (if for example money is the issue here that could be advantageous in her pursuit to attract a good coach).
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 11:12 AM   #2303
country flag crazillo

crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute

But she has had the same kind of reaction when she lost to Wozniacki at Rome last year. Said she can't always expect to beat those top girls now week in week out. I don't want her to go into suck mode for the rest of the yer again. I really thought she has improved her game. But yes, she needs to sort things out rather quickly.
And correct her attitude.
"There is a saying that there is no friendship in tennis, but I've proven the opposite. After all of them are here, it means that there is friendship and I want to thank them for being here tonight. I hope the fans are happy too."

My blog about my semester spent in China (bilingual in both German and English):
http://crazillo.jimdo.com! Please feel free to make comments!!
crazillo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 11:17 AM   #2304
country flag matthias
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute

maybe she should hire a mental-coach
but since she is not even able to hire a real coach...............
matthias is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 11:46 AM   #2305
country flag Melange

Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute

When she won Paris and said she was not sure about Rasputin and needed to experiment some more. It suggests they are going about getting a coach the wrong way.
Melange is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 01:36 PM   #2306
country flag Patrick345

Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melange View Post
When she won Paris and said she was not sure about Rasputin and needed to experiment some more. It suggests they are going about getting a coach the wrong way.
I would have hired him on the spot. The way he set up her gameplan against Errani, also suggests he had already figured out her strength and weaknesses pretty quickly. He seemed a calm personality, which is probably something Barthel needs, not a screamer like Piotr. Hey maybe it was just a fluke, five good days, and in two months you know it´s not working with him, but at least give it a go and stop the stupid coaching by committee.
Quiet. 24 SLAMS.
Patrick345 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 01:48 PM   #2307
country flag heavyhorse

heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute

I just hope these results give her the wake up call she needs.
heavyhorse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 01:50 PM   #2308
country flag heavyhorse

heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazillo View Post
But she has had the same kind of reaction when she lost to Wozniacki at Rome last year. Said she can't always expect to beat those top girls now week in week out. I don't want her to go into suck mode for the rest of the yer again. I really thought she has improved her game. But yes, she needs to sort things out rather quickly.
And correct her attitude.
Well she has improved her game, definitely. She's playing a lot better than last year but she's still as inconsistent as last year too.
heavyhorse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 02:57 PM   #2309
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
She seems to set herself under too much pressure and obviously her expectations after all the good results have risen too much. And that's why she completely lost the control over her emotions after that first set.
From what I've read about things - I agree. Mostly. Seems like she emotionally attacked herself with a vengeance. Still today I think way too much is being made of it. What I think is important for her is that she avoid dwelling on it.
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 04:51 PM   #2310
country flag joy division

joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future

Quote:
She seems to set herself under too much pressure and obviously her expectations after all the good results have risen too much. And that's why she completely lost the control over her emotions after that first set. It was crystal clear that she thereafter wasn't able anymore to put up a fight and i don't blame her for that. This is simply not possible for such a sensible player when facing such a psychological collapse. But she surely has to sort these problems out in order to fulfill her potential.

Anyway, i won't lose my believe in Mona as i know that these painful losses can be helpful in the long run.
I absolutely agree with you that her own expectations and those which are coming from the outside could be a part of the problem. Learning to deal with that is a part of every career in professional sport.
It seems that her slump in the last season mainly had to do with it.
So I was a little bit surprised when she was talking about the improvements in her game already very early in the year, instead of keeping the ball low and simply proving it on the court for a longer term.
Btw., I don`t get why so many players let themselves get carried away with that. Showing confidence is a good thing but how often have we seen that it turns out shit.
joy division is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote