Mona Barthel - Volume 2 - Page 144 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 13th, 2013, 11:48 AM   #2146
country flag joy division

joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

Rightly the consistency issue is coming up again.

It`s pretty much in evidence in (women`s) tennis, one of the most commented, discussed but also nebulous matters in this forum.

Of course aggressive players like Mona who want to dictate the rallies are more prone to such a thing as wait-and-see and more defensive players like for instance Errani.

I`d really like to know your (deeper) thoughts for the reasons, contexts and prospects to improve it. In general and of course in the case of Mona.
Meanings ?

Last edited by joy division : Mar 13th, 2013 at 11:54 AM.
joy division is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 13th, 2013, 11:51 AM   #2147
country flag mk27

mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatjaS View Post
Why is that? She is ranked #23 right now. Shouldn't 25-32 get the Top 8?
They will use this week's ranking for the seedings, not the ranking from next Monday.
That means, she should be seeded at 28 in Miami.
mk27 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 11:57 AM   #2148
country flag KatjaS

KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk27 View Post
They will use this week's ranking for the seedings, not the ranking from next Monday.
That means, she should be seeded at 28 in Miami.
I thought they would use next week's because the draw is out after the rankings are updated. That sucks.
KatjaS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #2149
country flag crazillo

crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute

Before the match against Sam I read a comment here that said "should be no problem". Some people need a reality check. We cannot expect Mona to take top 10 players apart week in week out. She is not top 5 yet and she still has a long way to go. I believe in Mona's game and I think she will go this far but not quite yet. So please lower your expectations and be a little more realistic, it's still a learning process.

I do hope she learns to handle players that play with a lot of spin better. It's good for her that not many girls play like Stosur.
"There is a saying that there is no friendship in tennis, but I've proven the opposite. After all of them are here, it means that there is friendship and I want to thank them for being here tonight. I hope the fans are happy too."

My blog about my semester spent in China (bilingual in both German and English):
http://crazillo.jimdo.com! Please feel free to make comments!!
crazillo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 12:05 PM   #2150
Setsuna.

Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute

Some facts/things I noticed:

*Even a lovely sweetheart like Mona (there is absolutely nothing to dislike about her) will get not a few bunch of haters on TF if she becomes more successful. Some of them are just pathetic human beings (they dislike her because of her skin). Though for now, Mona seems pretty likeable in GM but probably that will change if she becomes top 15/10 player. I hope not.

*Some ppl find nothing to dislike about her but they (for some reason) don't like the fact that many ppl like Mona and impressed by her talent so they call her "overrated/overhyped" whenever she loses just maybe to make themselves feel better or they hope they will eventually be right at some point (if Mona totally fails to fulfill her potential). Pretty confident that Mona will prove them wrong though.

*Mona doesn't read TF (I just knew that after I met her in Doha) and I'm really happy that she doesn't read it becuase if she was reading TF, some pathetic comments might actually hurt her. She very smart so I don't think she cares one bit about what ppl say about her on a tennis forum. She doesn't have a twitter account or a facebook page and that proves what I just said. Her sister Sunna is maybe reading her subform only but she does that rarely I think.

Chakvetadze Barthel Kerber Halep Pavlyuchenkova Shvedova Bencic Lottner

Last edited by Setsuna. : Mar 13th, 2013 at 02:35 PM.
Setsuna. is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 12:10 PM   #2151
country flag KatjaS

KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute

That's just the way TF works, particularly GM. Nothing you can do about it, as soon as she beats players she's "not supposed to beat" the trouble starts. As long as her sub forum stays clear of trolls/haters we're ok. I've learned that getting worked up about the BS there is wasted energy.
KatjaS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #2152
Setsuna.

Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatjaS View Post
That's just the way TF works, particularly GM. Nothing you can do about it, as soon as she beats players she's "not supposed to beat" the trouble starts. As long as her sub forum stays clear of trolls/haters we're ok. I've learned that getting worked up about the BS there is wasted energy.
Me too.

Chakvetadze Barthel Kerber Halep Pavlyuchenkova Shvedova Bencic Lottner
Setsuna. is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #2153
country flag Wonderwall

Wonderwall is a splendid one to behold Wonderwall is a splendid one to behold Wonderwall is a splendid one to behold Wonderwall is a splendid one to behold Wonderwall is a splendid one to behold Wonderwall is a splendid one to behold Wonderwall is a splendid one to behold Wonderwall is a splendid one to behold Wonderwall is a splendid one to behold Wonderwall is a splendid one to behold Wonderwall is a splendid one to behold

Disappointed but it's still been a decent week.

Going by the stats they were fairly even apart from Mona's percentage on Stosur's first serve (28%).

Looking forward to Miami
Wonderwall is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #2154
country flag Schnffy

Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazillo View Post
Before the match against Sam I read a comment here that said "should be no problem". Some people need a reality check. We cannot expect Mona to take top 10 players apart week in week out. She is not top 5 yet and she still has a long way to go. I believe in Mona's game and I think she will go this far but not quite yet. So please lower your expectations and be a little more realistic, it's still a learning process.

I do hope she learns to handle players that play with a lot of spin better. It's good for her that not many girls play like Stosur.
exactly my thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyla. View Post
*Mona doesn't read TF (I just knew that after I met her in Doha) and I'm really happy that she doesn't read it becuase if she was reading TF, some pathetic comments might actually hurt her. She very smart so I don't think she cares one bit about what ppl say about her on a tennis forum. She doesn't have a twitter account or a facebook page and that proves what I just said. Her sister Sunna is maybe reading her subform only but she does that rarely I think.
thank goodness!
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 01:29 PM   #2155
country flag Hartson

Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
and I'm really happy that she doesn't read .
It's not necessary to read GM ))
Hartson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #2156
country flag Tecumseh

Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnffy View Post
that was already the case last year, but a real threat means that she can win these matches, not only make them competitive…her only top 20 wins outdoors were against jankovic in miami last year and angie in dubai who wasn't fully recovered from her injury

yeah, but the biggest improvement would be if she could play, unlike last year, a consistent saison...then she will climb up the ranking automatically
When i say that Mona already has the game to be a TOP-10 player and that she can be (not will be) a thread for the top players i am talking about Mona's potential and not about what she will achieve this year. I mentioned her lack of constistency to live up to her potential and with this i mean a lack of consistency within matches and over the year. And this is one reason why she wasn't able yet to produce an upset against a TOP-5 player. The other reason is of course the fact that she has been on the WTA tour for only just one and a half years. So i think this season is about a learning process (as Crazillo mentioned above) to handle the bigger matches that hopefully may come.

I believe that Mona will be able to fully live up to her potential not before 2015 but i am optimistic that in 2014 she already will be able to beat a top player from time to time (given she stays free from injuries). Having explained my previous post in more detail i don't see that we disagree that much, i was only talking about potential and i dont expect Mona to be a TOP-10 player by the end of this year.

By the way, Mona has won against Ivanovic this tournament who really is, given her quality, a TOP-20 player at least. But you are right, Angie was out of form because she just came back from a serious injury and i would say that Jankovic was only ranked TOP 20 last year but did not play like that at that time.

Last edited by Tecumseh : Mar 13th, 2013 at 02:34 PM.
Tecumseh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 03:13 PM   #2157
country flag Michael!
indescribable

Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute Michael! has a reputation beyond repute

no shame losing to Stosur, still a good tournament with her win over Ivanovic.
It´s good to see that she is quite consistent this year so far, wins most of her matches which she has to win and already had some good wins also.
Tough to judge this defeat when u couldn´t see it but it is obviously tough to beat Stosur on a good day, Mona maybe was thinking a bit too much after she won he first, not sure, but experience was definitely an advanage for Samantha. Anyway 1st serve wasn´t good enough today, she has to get more consistent there if she wants to beat the top players, indoors her 1st serve is more effective, on other surfaces it is often too inconsistent yet.
But hope she works more often with her new team of coaches, has to keep improving, in Miami she will have to face one of the top8 players in 3rd round, so I don´t expect too much here, 3rd round should be her goal there and then we´ll see what she can do on clay...
Michael! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #2158
country flag Tecumseh

Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future

Quote:
Some facts/things I noticed:

*Even a lovely sweetheart like Mona (there is absolutely nothing to dislike about her) will get not a few bunch of haters on TF if she becomes more successful. Some of them are just pathetic human beings (they dislike her because of her skin). Though for now, Mona seems pretty likeable in GM but probably that will change if she becomes top 15/10 player. I hope not.

*Some ppl find nothing to dislike about her but they (for some reason) don't like the fact that many ppl like Mona and impressed by her talent so they call her "overrated/overhyped" whenever she loses just maybe to make themselves feel better or they hope they will eventually be right at some point (if Mona totally fails to fulfill her potential). Pretty confident that Mona will prove them wrong though.

When i became a member on TF i initially started reading in the Mona thread and was very surprised to see that Mona's sister posted here a few times. In one of her posts she defended her sister against some high expectations and was also telling something about her shoulder injury and the following end of her career. Given her postings i am not quite sure if she doesn't read here more often as you might expect. And this is one more reason why i really hope that the mods will do their job by reacting properly to these pathetic comments that you mentioned.
Tecumseh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #2159
country flag crazillo

crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Mona's subforum or thread has been "abused" by anyone so far. What happens in GM should not be overrated, anyone knows what to expect there.
"There is a saying that there is no friendship in tennis, but I've proven the opposite. After all of them are here, it means that there is friendship and I want to thank them for being here tonight. I hope the fans are happy too."

My blog about my semester spent in China (bilingual in both German and English):
http://crazillo.jimdo.com! Please feel free to make comments!!
crazillo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #2160
country flag Losing Streak

Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Mona Too bad she crumbled after winning that 1st set

Glad she doesn't read TF too

Krunya Kichenoks Pliskovas Bencic Vekic Kovinic Smitkova Svitolina Cirstea Mlad Garcia Rezai Pervak Jovanovski Mitu Savic Sasnovich Kremen Savinykh Evtimova Tomova Kalashnikova Milevskaya
Losing Streak is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote