Scotland striker tweets racist rant - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 15th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #76
country flag Talula

Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scotland striker tweets racist rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamsser View Post

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...ist-tweet.html

Anti-racism campaigners called on the authorities to punish controversial Hibs and Scotland striker Leigh Griffiths after he sent a racist tweet to one of his Twitter followers.

The SPL's joint leading goalscorer is being investigated by Lothian and Borders Police and the SFA - and faces separate disciplinary action from his club - after a heated exchange with one of the 13,000 Twitter users who follow him on the social network site.

Griffiths is understood to have told Livingston-based tweeter Zak Iqbal to: 'F*** off back to your own country ya clown' during a heated exchange on Thursday night.

The 22-year-old striker, whose loan deal at Hibs from English Championship side Wolves looks likely to be extended until the summer, later apologised and deleted the message before closing his account.

But Show Racism the Red Card last night described his comment as 'totally unacceptable' and challenged Hibs, the SFA and the police to dish out appropriate punishments.

A spokesman said: 'Show Racism the Red Card is saddened by Hibernian FC player Leigh Griffiths' tweet to one of his followers.

'We wish to see a Scotland free of racism and condemn all incidence of racism across social networking sites, in football and wider society.

'Online racism is as serious and damaging as face-to-face racism and the comments made by Mr Griffiths were totally unacceptable. We feel the negative reaction to these tweets are indicative that the majority of people in Scotland are in agreement with us.

'Mr Griffiths appears to have realised the grave error he made and apologised to Mr Iqbal and the general public.

'He'll now face possible punishment by his club and the Scottish football authorities. We hope the matter can be dealt with swiftly by the relevant authorities.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ball-editorial

In less than 48 hours, European football has produced two remarkable events, one on the pitch, one off it. On Thursday, the AC Milan player Kevin-Prince Boateng led his team off the field in protest at persistent racial abuse from a segment of the opposition crowd. And in the hours since, there has been not a single word of criticism levelled against him, nor his team, nor the officials who let the players go. Italian football professes itself shamed. But that's no reason for British football to feel smug.

In the past, a player who responded to racist taunts by kicking the ball into the crowd, as Mr Boateng did before walking off, would have been treated more as villain than hero. When England under-21 player Danny Rose did just that during a match against Serbia last October, he was sent off immediately, one more statistic in the long history of acceptance of the unacceptable. The European football authorities are notoriously lax about punishing clubs with racist fans, imposing fines that are usually less than a single Premier League player's weekly wage. This time, though, there has been no talk of retribution from the Italian Football Association. Both Uefa and the FA have been silent.

It is hard to think of a more effective weapon against abusive crowds than denying them the game they came to watch. But what is now a regular – and effective – part of the official armoury against violent behaviour has yet to be used against the racist chants that are still heard at matches everywhere (including England). The FA talks the talk, but fails to back up lofty sentiments with the kind of action that would tackle the blatant inequality in every aspect of the game off the field. Only after the Reading player Jason Roberts refused to wear the Kick It Out T-shirt in protest at the feebleness of last autumn's campaign (whose highlight was changing the kit rather than changing the rules) did the players' own body, the PFA, respond. Its six proposals – including a variation of the Rooney Rule, which would require at least one candidate from black and minority ethnic groups to be interviewed for any senior coaching job – might one day make a difference.

But they will take time, and time is an increasingly scarce resource. The crisis in the economy is exaggerating faultlines in society. Political rhetoric comes perilously close to making scapegoats of particular groups, and in hard times it is all too easy to turn people against one another. For all the headlines it generates about sex and sin, football still performs an important role as a setter of cultural norms. In that context alone, the lack of official, meaningful effort against racism is a disgrace. The lesson from Milan is that the best weapon against institutional inertia is solidarity.
Is what Leigh said actually racism?

Players I root for now: Heather, Laura, Lucie, Marion, Serena, Simona, Svetlana, Venus, Vika. And Caroline.
Doubles and Mixed Doubles are fun and underrated.
Talula is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 15th, 2013, 03:53 PM   #77
country flag Beat

Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolás89 View Post
I think people is confusing racism with xenophobia.
this.
i guess it's too much to ask for differentiated definitions these days.

Beat is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #78
country flag Dominic

Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
Is that scaring the pants off of you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
That is one more country yoh have crossed off your travels destination, ... it would be hard for your to travel to a new place and not talk to the people.

And we all know what happen whenver yout talk through your keyboard.

In case you are wondering, Brazil has lot of black people
I'm curious, do you guys realize that Serena Williams is only one person?
Dominic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 04:30 PM   #79
Valanga
Tick Tock

Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute Valanga has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolás89 View Post
I think people is confusing racism with xenophobia.
Yup.

P.A.K.K
Suicide: 08 Montreal 08 Stuttgart 09 USO 11 Eastbourne Stanford 13 Sydney Highest ranked #03
Tennis Tipping: 09 Cincy D 10 Brisbane D Copenhagen SD 11 Palermo D Beijing S 12 Pattaya S Stuttgart Baku D 13 Palermo D 14 Monterrey D(SCHR: 17 DCHR: 10)
Valanga is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #80
country flag azdaja

azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute

it may sound trivial but it is indeed important to understand that the problem is not racism in the sense of white supremacism but xenophobia. this can lead to some weird situations. like, if you are black american you won't be treated in the same way as when you are a black african. unless people confuse you for one. not that this is any better but it's just not the same as what black people from the usa know in their own country. for european bigots for the most part you are not black but foreign and not much different from white foreigners and probably considerably more preferable to the people from the middle east or north africa.

it should also be noted that plenty of fans groups in europe have a clear political affiliation and it's usually on the right far more often than on the left. which is one of the reasons why football crowds don't reflect the general society well enough.
azdaja is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 10:01 PM   #81
country flag Chris 84

Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute Chris 84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdaja View Post
it should also be noted that plenty of fans groups in europe have a clear political affiliation and it's usually on the right far more often than on the left. which is one of the reasons why football crowds don't reflect the general society well enough.
arguable. in eastern europe i'd agree that this is the case, but germany and italy and west of that, there are a heck of a lot of left wing fans groups.

Bibiane Schoofs Flavia Pennetta Anett Kontaveit Aga Radwanska Tara Moore Sorana Cirstea

MY TWITTER
https://twitter.com/ChrissieBhoy
Chris 84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 08:11 AM   #82
country flag azdaja

azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 84 View Post
arguable. in eastern europe i'd agree that this is the case, but germany and italy and west of that, there are a heck of a lot of left wing fans groups.
yes but i would still say right-wing groups are dominant even in western europe but at least the left-wing ones exist. i guess in former communist countries left-wing ideologies lost a lot of prestige because of the communist rule. this is true even in the unified germany where football fans from the former gdr tend to be right-wing.
azdaja is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #83
country flag $uricate
FlopKing.

$uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute

I read that Race crimes have increased in Scotland.

Such a shame because there are so many great people here who welcome everyone with open arms.

Unfortunately there are some sad people who hate for no reason

PopCon 2013.
$uricate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote