1983 - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 12th, 2013, 11:19 PM   #76
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1983

CREATING A STORM A DRIVEN FATHER AND A GIFTED DAUGHTER GIVE WOMEN'S TENNIS A CONTROVERSIAL TEAM
The Philadelphia Inquirer
Friday, April 8, 1983
Steve Goldstein

The father squirms uncomfortably in his seat at courtside. He grimaces, shakes his head, mutters an imprecation in Hungarian. After the next point, he waves his right arm in a sweeping gesture and hisses something in a menacing tone to the tall blonde on the tennis court.

It is hard to believe that the player, his daughter, Andrea Temesvari, is winning the match.

The Temesvaris, Andrea, a talented player from Budapest who will be 17 later this month, and Otto, her father and coach, are creating quite a stir in the Family Circle Cup tournament at the Sea Pines Racquet Club. Not only
because of the young player's success - she has risen rapidly in the world rankings to No. 16 and yesterday advanced to the quarterfinals here by ousting seventh-seeded Barbara Potter, 6-0, 6-4. And not only because of the statuesque 5-foot, 9-inch righthander's striking attractiveness.

The attention is due in large part to the chemistry of this father-daughter and coach-player relationship, which seems to embody the best and worst of such a situation. Otto Temesvari, a former Olympic basketball player and coach (he guarded Oscar Robertson in a game at Rome in 1960), has been the sole architect of Andrea's tennis career. You can easily recognize him at courtside. He is tall, handsome, a very youthful 48 despite his razor-cut gray hair - and he always looks as if he is in excruciating pain.

Simply put, Otto Temesvari is a stern taskmaster. Even during the thrashing of Potter, the 11th-ranked player in the world, the elder Temesvari cracked a grin only once, when Andrea won a point on a fluke shot. At one point, he exchanged sharp words with his daughter. He makes Tom Landry look like Smilin' Jack.

Off the court, harsh words are forgotten.

"I feel that I'm very lucky," Temesvari said about her father's tutelage. ''But it's harder to have a father coach than a coach. A father always wants more than a coach. He's always going to tell me the truth, and it doesn't feel very good for me. When we're on the court, he's telling me something after every point."

"We have the same mentality for the sport," Otto said. "We started together, and I'm a little bit crazy about the sport. I push my attitude for her."

Said Andrea: "I'm angry a lot on the court, but I know that he wants to be with me, not against me. I know he wants to help me, but he's like this, so I can't change him."

But not everyone views this relationship so benignly.

"Temesvari's very good, she's going to be a top-10 player," said Roland Jaeger, father and coach to the third-ranked Andrea. "That is, unless her father prevents her."

No slouch in the intensity department himself, Jaeger has been known to stalk away from matches when he is displeased by Andrea's performance. Jaeger, an ex-boxer, said that ex-basketballer Temesvari is "like me, only worse."

"He doesn't want to let go," said Jaeger.

A more serious charge leveled against Otto Temesvari is that he uses hand signals to coach his daughter - an illegal practice. Players have reported Temesvari for this to the Women's Tennis Association, according to Jaeger.

Still another tennis parent, who requested anonymity, said that he became "sick to his stomach" listening to Temesvari badger his daughter and had to leave his courtside seat.

None of this should detract from the skill of Temesvari's game. Her father, she said, has taught her to "play like a man." She drives the ball hard and hits with a lot of topspin. She grew up playing on slow clay, a surface slower than the clay-like Har-Tru here, but her goal is to become an all-court player.

"To be a good player, you have to be able to play every surface," she said. "I want to show them I'm not just a clay-court player. I want to beat them."

She also prides herself on her appearance. She dresses impeccably, and her blonde hair is always encased in the Olivia Newton-John headband currently in fashion. "It's very important that you look nice," she said, displaying a keen sense of self-promotion.

In 1982, Temesvari came to the U.S. to try the pro tour full time. Within two months, she compiled a 19-7 record in eight tournaments and won a second- level tournament at Hershey, Pa. She also reached the final of the Swiss Open. This year, she has reached the semifinals of two tournaments, most recently in Oakland, where she beat Tracy Austin before losing to Bettina Bunge.

Today, her quarterfinal opponent is the top-seeded Martina Navratilova. Of her first meeting with the world's best, she said: "I just want to see how she's better than me. I want to see what I can do - how many games I can win."

Navratilova is not shaking in her tennis shoes. "Andrea's a typical

baseliner, but she puts more topspin on the ball," noted Navratilova. "She can volley, but she's not comfortable at the net. She can stay out there all day long."

The match pits a defector from the Eastern European bloc (Czechoslovakia) against a Hungarian just tasting the benefits of capitalism. Yet Otto Temesvari explained that his daughter's international travel is in no way restricted, though Andrea must return a percentage of her earnings to the Hungarian Tennis Federation.

"I'm never going to defect," she said, adding that didn't mean she wouldn't live anywhere else. But as long as there are no restrictions on her travel and she is earning enough to satisfy herself and the federation, she will remain in Hungary.

"Money is not the most important thing," she said, as her father watched her carefully. "I'm not playing for the money. I'm playing to beat the others."
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 12th, 2013, 11:21 PM   #77

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

GOOD, AS IN GOLDEN: CARLING BASSETT IS ONLY 15, BLOND AND A TENNIS PRO
Thursday, April 7, 1983
Steve Goldstein

Her braided golden hair glowing in the sunlight, Carling Bassett body-surfs through a wave of preteen autograph hounds at the Sea Pines Racquet Club, signing her name with a flourish and an eagerness that is missing in most tennis professionals.

She has the look of newly cast gold bullion, from her blond tresses to her Ultra Brite smile and the 24-karat "#1" necklace nicely set off by her Florida tan. She has won one tournament this year, has starred in a new movie and has been featured in People magazine. Agents are fighting to sign her, and the United States Football League team her father owns is 4-1.

She is 15 years old.

"She's the luckiest kid in the world," John Bassett said recently without a hint of self-consciousness after his daughter had advanced to the third round of the $200,000 Family Circle Cup. "Touring the world playing tennis, she's been more places than I have. It's fantastic. Pretty little girl, I mean, she's got the world on a string. And she doesn't need it. Really, she's the most fortunate child I know."

This is not the story of another tennis wunderkind, though Carling Bassett should do very well in her career as a tennis professional. More than that, it is the story of a player's turning pro at a tender age and being accorded star trappings before she's even begun to travel the storied road so well-worn by Billie Jean King, Chris Evert Lloyd, Martina Navratilova and others. And of why too much may be expected of her.

Much of this has to do with her family. John Bassett of Toronto is the well-known sports entrepreneur. At various times, Bassett has had interests in the Montreal Canadiens and the Toronto Maple Leafs of the National Hockey League and in the Memphis franchise of the World Football League. Currently, Bassett is co-owner - with good buddy Burt Reynolds - of the Tampa Bay Bandits of the USFL.

Then there is the name. Carling comes courtesy of the family of her mother, Susan, founders of Canada's Carling brewery. The name has afforded her a blue- ribbon background, not a black label, though John Bassett joked, "What people don't know is that my wife's grandfather sold the brewery in 1922
because he couldn't pay the bills."

One of Bassett's other assets is a film company called Amulet Pictures, which produced a tennis film called Sneakers in 1981; the film features Carling with Susan Anton, Jessica Walter and Frank Converse. The distributors didn't like the title, so the film was recently released under the title Spring Fever, a turn that infuriated Bassett.

"They're selling it as a teenage sex picture," he railed, though the film is rated PG. "I'm thinking of suing the distributor for fraud." Bassett said that the film was making money but that the reviews have been mixed, with one journal calling Carling's appearance "nepotism of the worst kind."

The 5-foot, 5-inch, 105-pound Bassett appears in the film as K.C., a girl who hopes to become a junior tennis champion. Though the distributor did not change the film's content, it dubbed in a sexy voice for Carling for the promos.

In real life, Carling Bassett has fullfilled K.C.'s ambition. Prompted by her father, a former Canadian Davis Cup player, she picked up tennis when she was 9 years old, fitting it into a schedule that included skiing, horseback riding and soccer. Tennis was hardly her first love.

"I thought tennis was just one thing, hitting the ball back over the net," she said. "I liked it more as I kept playing. I was hitting the ball where I wanted to, not just trying to get it over the net."

When she turned 11, her father sent her to Nick Bollettieri's Tennis Academy in Sarasota, Fla. "I thought she'd stay there a month and a half," Bassett said. "She's been there four years."

Bollettieri, who has trained many women at his academy and such male stars as Chip Hooper and Jimmy Arias, honed his new pupil's game to perfection, making her an aggressive player who is comfortable on all surfaces. The familiar two-handed backhand became a staple, as did a bullish, determined temperament that often has her muttering on the court.

"When I stay quiet," she said, "it's like I have no fire to win."

In her first year in Florida, Bassett reached the semifinals of the under- 12s event at the prestigious Orange Bowl tournament and soon won both singles and doubles at the USTA 12s-and-under nationals. At 13, she won the singles and doubles of the Canadian 18s-and-under nationals, and in 1981, she finished sixth on the International Tennis Federation's junior world rankings, the youngest player ever to be included in the top 10.

Last year, Bassett again won the Canadian nationals and took the singles title at the Orange Bowl. She finished the year ranked as the second junior in the world, and she promptly decided that she had accomplished everything she could as an amateur.

On Jan. 3, 1983, Carling Bassett turned professional, complete with a management firm, ProServ Inc. of Washington, D.C., that is busy lining up promotional contracts for her. On Feb. 20, she won her first tournament, the
Ginny of Hershey, Pa., one of the second-level tournaments in the Virginia Slims championship circuit.

A steady rise in the rankings enabled her to join the main tennis circuit. ''Darling Carling," as she has become known on the circuit, quickly became a media darling as she scored some impressive wins, making it all the way to the final at Palm Springs two weeks after winning at Hershey. She climbed all the way to number 45 in the rankings.

In her first-round match here Monday, Bassett defeated Rosalyn Fairbank of South Africa, ranked 17 in the world. On Tuesday, with both her father and her mother looking on, she ousted Switzerland's Petra Delhees. Today, she must face Bettina Bunge, seeded fourth in the tournament, but Bassett said she felt no pressure.

"There's no pressure unless you play a player ranked below you," the teenager remarked.

As she perceives matters, her goals are simple. "I just want to do well and play until I'm 25 and accomplish a lot and not play tennis and get married and have kids," she said without taking a breath.

"I really don't have a tournament I want to win more than anything right now," she added. "I just want to get as far as I can in every tournament. I don't want to have a great tournament and then a bad tournament. I want to keep improving and not be erratic."

It sounds simple enough, this being a professional. Yet while she is signing autographs at courtside, Mark McCormack of the International Management Group is waiting to have a word with her father. "He's an old friend," Bassett explained, but the simple fact is that McCormack was hoping to persuade the Bassetts to defect from ProServ.

It is all happening very fast for Carling Bassett, who has never known anything but the fast lane.

"If somebody's going to give her a whole lot of money over the next few years to wear things she wants to wear anyway, why not do it?" said the elder Bassett of professionalism and the pro circuit.

"It's the same game (as the juniors)," he said. "She might as well play against the best and reap the rewards. She has to be goal-motivated anyway. She said she wanted to ranked in the top 50 by the end of the year, and here it is April and she's already in the 40s. She's won one tournament and reached the finals of another.

"The first time we'll have a problem is if and when she has a slump. She's never had a slump, just gone from plateau to plateau. In the slang expression, she's been on a roll since she's 10 years old."
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 11:24 PM   #78

NAVRATILOVA STRUGGLES BY TEMESVARI
Saturday, April 9, 1983
Steve Goldstein

Perhaps Martina Navratilova is human after all.

Or perhaps Andrea Temesvari has arrived much sooner than expected.

Temesvari, 16, of Budapest, Hungary, yesterday played the match of her young and extremely promising career, coming close to doing what what has become well nigh impossible: beating Navratilova, the world's best female tennis player.

A lapse of concentration by Temesvari while serving at 4-4 in the third set under a steady drizzle enabled Navratilova to prevail, 7-6 (7-3), 4-6, 6-4, and advance to today's semifinals of the $200,000 Family Circle Cup against Bettina Bunge.

In the other semifinal, Andrea Jaeger will meet the winner of the match between Tracy Austin and Manuela Maleeva, which was halted by rain with Austin leading, 6-3, 1-0, and will be completed this morning.

A packed stadium crowd of 4,500 at the Sea Pines Racquet Club gave Temesvari a standing ovation at the conclusion of the 2-hour, 15-minute thriller. It was the second such tribute paid the blonde Hungarian, the first coming after she had won the second set.

Why the reaction? Perhaps because it was only the second time this year that a player had taken a set from Navratilova, who has won 27 consecutive matches in 1983. In fact, Navratilova, 26, has lost only three of her last 120 matches.

If Temesvari's play unnerved Navratilova, the ovations were salt on No. 1's wounded psyche, and she was testy and graceless in the postmatch interview.

"Who the hell cares if I beat Temesvari?" said Navratilova. "I mean, most people don't even know she is. The only way I can make headlines these days is if I lose."

Rather than credit Temesvari with gutsy, skillful play on the clay-like Har-Tru surface, Navratilova criticized her own performance.

"She's a tough player, but I can't play like that and expect to win the tournament," Navratilova declared. "I played too much not to lose today. Maybe I was too much like Houston against N.C. State. I can dunk, but I wasn't going for it. I should play to win."

Navratilova never got comfortable on the court against the righthanded Temesvari, who rates clay as her best surface right now. Temesvari hits the ball extremely hard and with a lot of topspin, which kept Navratilova in the backcourt. The favorite's approach shots were short and weak, giving Temesvari excellent chances to pass Navratilova, which she did when she wasn't hitting outright winners from the baseline.

An early spell of unforced errors by Navratilova gave a hint of what was to come. At 5-5 in the first set, Temesvari wasted a break point against Navratilova that would have left the Hungarian serving for the set. But in the tie-breaker - only the third Navratilova has had to play all year - it was no contest, with Navratilova winning five straight points from 1-1.

Many players crumble after losing a tough first set, but not Temesvari. With her father, Otto, shouting encouragement - and some other things - Temesvari won 12 of 14 points and the first three games of the second set. She had a break point for 4-0, but Navratilova employed the best drop shot in the game to come back and hold serve. Then Navratilova won the next two games to even the match.

"I lost three straight games because I was thinking about winning the set," Temesvari said later. "I was nervous in the last two sets."

But a turning point of sorts came when Temesvari held serve in the seventh game from 0-30. Navratilova was clearly agitated, muttering to herself, waving her racket angrily and even directing an exasperated comment to her friend Nancy Leiberman at courtside.

In the 10th game, some loose play by Navratilova gave Temesvari a set point, which she cashed in with a brilliant forehand passing shot. A roaring crowd rose to its feet.

In the final set, Navratilova broke serve in the third game for a 2-1 edge that stood until the eighth game, when Temesvari broke back.

"Give it away, why don't you," Navratilova fumed.

But in the next game, Temesvari double-faulted, made two forehand errors and a backhand error to give Navratilova a service break and the opportunity to serve out the match. Temesvari saved two match points, but Navratilova
closed her out with a slashing backhand volley winner.

"Maybe If I concentrated a little better at 4-4 on my serve, I would have won," said Temesvari. She said she became impatient and tried to win the points too quickly.

Temesvari said she was surprised how well she played against Navratilova, but only because she didn't know what to expect in their first meeting. Temesvari became tired, but never lost her sense of humor, while Navratilova looked uptight the whole match.

"She's always like this," Temesvari said of Navratilova's behavior. ''She's No. 1, so maybe she thinks that no one can beat her. But I know she tried more and more to beat me because she was angry."

Temesvari was not happy with the loss, but said she learned something from losing, and that can only help her. "I can be in the top 10 this year, I hope," said Temesvari, who is No. 16 and rising fast.

And most people will soon know just who is Andrea Temesvari.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #79

AUSTIN OUTLASTS JAEGER
Sunday, April 10, 1983
Steve Goldstein

Tracy Austin, who has been desperately seeking to rejeuvenate her tennis fortunes for more than a year, yesterday found a bright silver lining in weeping gray clouds as she upset Andrea Jaeger to reach the final of the $200,000 Family Circle Cup.

Austin, 20, and Jaeger, 17, whose baseline styles mirror each other, waged a war of attrition through intermittent rain for 2 hours, 25 minutes before a jubilant Austin triumphed, 7-5, 7-5.

Today's final at the Sea Pines Racquet Club will pit Austin against an old nemesis, Martina Navratilova. As expected, the tournament's top seed had little trouble eliminating Bettina Bunge, 6-2, 6-3, in an hour and 9 minutes.

For Navratilova, today brings her 11th consecutive tournament final, the possibility of extending her win streak to 32 matches and a chance to swell her already bulging coffers by $34,000.

For Austin, today brings an opporunity to renew a brilliant tennis career that has gone awry. First injuries, then a romance with tennis player Matt Anger, have seemingly derailed the fire-belching Austin Express. Austin won only one tournament in 1982, in San Diego Aug. 1, and she has come up empty in 13 since that time. During that period, her ranking has fallen to No. 4, the lowest it's been since 1978.

Austin last beat Navratilova, 26, in December 1981, and Navratilova holds a 19-13 career edge. Their match today will be on clay, a surface on which they last met in their first match, in 1977.

"This would be my surface to beat Martina on," Austin said as she reflected on her victory. "She better know that she has to stay out there all day, because I'm willing to.

"I'm not worried," Austin added. "She's got all the pressure on her."

It was a remarkable day's work for Austin, who first had to complete a rain-postponed quarterfinal match against Manuela Maleea of Bulgaria. Leading, 6-3, 1-0, when play resumed, Austin won five of the next seven games in 32 minutes to resolve matters. The victor than had about 90 minutes rest before she had to go out and do battle against Jaeger.

Hours later, as Austin came off the soggy clay court after beating Jaeger, a spectator commented to her coach, Robert Lansdorp, that he hadn't seen such fire in Austin's eyes for a long time.

"I swear to God," Lansdorp replied, "neither have I."

Jaeger, however, was not particularly impressed with the level of Austin's play, saying that she lost only because she failed to take advantage of Austin's errors. And she had a prediction for the final.

"Tomorrow," said Jaeger, "if Martina plays well, it's going to be close to a kill."

Jaeger's mood was almost as dark as the clouds before the match. She was irritated by the rain, which began falling precisely when the first ball was struck, and was further annoyed that her match with Austin had to be played on an outside court at the same time Navratilova and Bunge met in the stadium.

Tennis, of course, is not meant to be played in the rain. But a national television broadcast dictated that the show go on. The Navratilova-Bunge match was actually halted for 10 minutes, while Jaeger and Austin played continuously.

So piqued was Jaeger by the weather and the scheduling that after she lost the first set, she refused to allow the match to be moved to the stadium, where Navratilova already had mopped up Bunge.

Jaeger had four game points to make it 6-6 and send the first set to a tie- breaker, but she wasted those chances with errors. Austin failed to capitalize on the first set point, but Jaeger provided a second chance and then dumped a forehand into the net on the ensuing point.

In the fourth game of the second set, Austin avenged an earlier service break to make it 2-2. She accidentally hit Jaeger with a soft shot on the final point, but no amount of apologizing could placate Jaeger, whose feathers were clearly ruffled to stay.

In the long ninth game, Jaeger wasted a break point that would have given her 5-4, serving for the set. Serving at 5-6, Jaeger fell behind by 15-40 on a double-fault and a forehand error, then lost the match with a wide backhand. Austin clenched her fist and looked heavenward in triumph.

A gratifying win? "It really was," said Austin. "I'm glad I was really patient. I felt like I was really concentrating well, not just playing two good points and then a loose point. I wanted to get a good match like this under my belt."

Last year, Jaeger was trounced by Navratilova in the Family Circle Cup final. One reason for that, Jaeger said, was that she wasn't sufficiently psyched, having upset Chris Evert Lloyd in the semifinals.

Would the match with Jaeger dim the Austin fire?

"I think," said Austin, a glint in her eyes, "I can get up for tomorrow."
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 11:28 PM   #80

BORG LOSES FINAL MATCH TO CONNORS
The Philadelphia Daily News
Monday, April 11, 1983
United Press International

Jimmy Connors, the reigning Wimbledon and U.S. Open champion, outserved and outslugged Bjorn Borg yesterday to deal the retiring Swedish tennis superstar a 6-3, 6-4 defeat in his final professional match.

Connors, who defeated South African-born American Johan Kriek Saturday to advance the finals of the $250,000 exhibition series, collected $110,000 in first-prize money. Borg got $70,000.

A record 14,500 fans jammed the Yoyogi indoor stadium in Tokyo to watch Borg play out his farewell match after a magnificent 10-year career that made him a five-time Wimbledon champion and the winner of 61 pro tournaments.

The 26-year-old Swede, who played his last official tournament in Monte Carlo, Monaco, last week, has said he would hang up his racket after Tokyo and will not play tennis anymore except for fun.

In the first match of the day, American John McEnroe, who yielded to Borg Saturday, defeated Kriek, 6-7, 7-5, 6-3, for third place and pocketed $40,000 in prize money.

Japan's Crown Prince Akihito and his wife, Michiko, avid tennis players, led the crowd in cheering on the retiring champ.

To the tune of "Auld Lang Syne" played by a visiting U.S. Navy band, organizers of the match presented a bouquet of flowers to Borg and his wife, Mariana.

As the capacity 14,500 crowd cheered on, Borg kissed his wife, and the two walked around the court amid thunderous cheers from the jammed gallery.

Borg said he was retiring because he couldn't recapture the competitive edge that once made him the undisputed world champion.

"I can't put all the effort into the game anymore," he said. "I don't enjoy it as much anymore."

He said he chose Japan as the venue of his last public match because he likes it here.

"I enjoy coming to Japan, and this was the only chance I had to come here this year," he said.

HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. - Martina Navratilova relaxed after a mistake- filled first set yesterday to defeat Tracy Austin, 5-7, 6-1, 6-0, for the championship of a $200,000 women's tennis tournament.

Navratilova, who has won seven consecutive tournaments and 32 consecutive matches, won $34,000 for the singles title. Austin, appearing in her first title match of the year, took home $17,000.

Navratilova also extended her string of consecutive victories to 47 in doubles competition, teaming with Candy Reynolds to defeat Andrea Jaeger and Paula Smith, 6-2, 6-3, in the doubles final.

The tourney is known as the Family Circle Cup.

"Once the first set was over, I was more relaxed," Navratilova said. "I wasn't at any stage thinking I was going to lose the match. It was just a matter of settling down.

"In the first set, I was controlling so many points, but she was winning them because I would make errors."

Austin, who at 20 is six years younger than Navratilova, said she was tired by the third set and unable to concentrate.

"There was a lot of emotion involved as well as the physical part of it," she said. "I wish I could have kept concentrating."

HOUSTON - Top-seeded Ivan Lendl of Czechoslovakia defended his title and took the $100,000 prize yesterday at the $300,000 River Oaks International Tennis Tournament with a straight-sets triumph over unseeded Paul McNamee.

Lendl, the first person to defend his title successfully in the tournament since Rod Laver in 1961 and 1962, defeated the Australian, 6-2, 6-0, 6-3.

McNamee, winner of $32,000, had trouble with an inconsistent forehand, committing 36 errors, 22 of which were long, and totaling 52 errors in all.

Last edited by Ms. Anthropic : Mar 12th, 2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 11:29 PM   #81

NAVRATILOVA WINS WITH ABOUT-FACE
Monday, April 11, 1983
Steve Goldstein

The upset winds were freshening when Tracy Austin took the first set, 7-5, from Martina Navratilova yesterday in the final of the Family Circle Cup.

Never before had Navratilova lost her serve six times in a set. But this Navratilova, the confident model, didn't panic.

"I relaxed," she said. "I realized, if I was uptight, I wouldn't win. There's no physical reason I was missing shots by 10 feet."

Then, laughing, she added: "It was just a matter of relaxing after taking three Valiums."

She was joking about the pills, of course, but one couldn't be blamed for thinking that she had downed some sort of heady elixir. For the world's No. 1 female tennis player proceeded to win 12 of the next 13 games and the match, 5-7, 6-1, 6-0.

The turnabout was startling. Austin, who had held serve only once in the first set, never held again. For her own part, Navratilova raised her first- serve percentage, cut down on her unforced errors and drop-shotted Austin to near-exhaustion.

The first set took one hour; the final two spanned 52 minutes. In the 23- minute final set, Austin managed to win only eight points.

"I don't think I did anything wrong," Austin said of the second and third sets. "She just did a lot right."

Winning this clay-court tournament at Sea Pines Racquet Club for the second straight year meant a lot more than $34,000 to Navratilova. She extended her victory streak in singles to 32 matches, dating to December's Australian Open, won her sixth consecutive title of 1983 and gained a great measure of confidence on clay.

The latter was perhaps the most important thing because this was Navratilova's last clay-court event before May's French Open, which she needs in order to begin a run at the Grand Slam.

Nevertheless, Austin, who won here in 1979 and 1980, thinks that clay remains Navratilova's weakest surface.

"It (her play on clay) is not even close to (her play) on hardcourts," Austin said. "She definitely can be beaten on this stuff."

Austin insisted that Navratilova, although having lost only two sets en route to the title, was not as dominant here as she had been indoors. For one thing, she noted, Navratilova doesn't like to play in the wind, and a swirling wind swept around the stadium yesterday under cloudless skies. For another, Austin said, Navratilova's serve is somewhat neutralized by slow clay, and when her volleys aren't clicking, as in yesterday's first set, she is at a decided disadvantage.

"It was difficult," Navratilova said, "to hit the ball with authority (on her volleys) because it was moving in the air."

Austin knows that clay helps offset Navratilova's superior strength, and in the first set, Austin simply kept the ball in play and let Navratilova make the errors.

As time wore on and Navratilova picked up her first serve and reduced her errors, it was not enough for Austin to keep the ball in play. Navratilova was simply knocking off her opponent's powder-puff returns or cleverly pinning her to the baseline before plunking down an unretrievable drop shot.

So Austin may be right in the sense that Navratilova is more vulnerable on clay, but you still have to play awfully well to beat her on anything - even Silly Putty.

Another factor in the match was stamina. Austin had vowed to stay out there all day, if necessary. But Navratilova, who is six years older than Austin, 20, is in better shape.

"I figured the longer the match goes, the better for me," she said.

Chasing drop shots, the constant up-and-back movement, were tiring for Austin, who is just rounding into the kind of shape that she had maintained before this year-long slump. (She is winless in her last 14 tournaments.) She also admitted that the emotion spent in her upset of Andrea Jaeger on Saturday had taken away some of her drive.

Still, the week at Sea Pines helped her immensely, Austin said.

"I'm really pleased with the tournament I had," she said. "It gave me a lot of confidence. I'm hitting the ball well. I'm really pleased with the week."

You don't always get what you want, but Austin apparently got what she needed. Navratilova, on the other hand, got it all.

"If I can still win a final and not play up to par, then I have to give myself some credit," she said. "I know I have to play better to win the French."

That sounds as if there will be even more hard work and more dedication for the already hard-working, dedicated Navratilova. Perhaps it would have been better for the rest of the women's tour had Navratilova won easily yesterday.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #82

ARE MARTINA AND CHRIS PLAYING HIDE AND SEEK?
The Miami Herald
Wednesday, April 13, 1983
JIM MARTZ

Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert Lloyd attended the Women's Tennis Association meeting Monday at Amelia Island Plantation, Fla., but you won't see them meeting on the court this week.

Navratilova is not playing in the $250,000 Lipton/WTA Championships that continue through Sunday at Amelia. Last week, Evert didn't play in the Family Circle Cup, which Navratilova won handily at Hilton Head, S.C. And next week, Martina will compete in the $200,000 United Airlines Tournament of Champions at Grenelefe, Fla., but Evert won't.

What's going on between the top players on the women's tour? Are they avoiding each other?

"They're playing cat and mouse," said a spokesman for the Amelia tournament.

But who is the mouse? At first glance, it would appear that Evert would want to avoid Navratilova. Martina's 32-0 record this year includes three impressive victories over Chris.

But all three matches were played on Navratilova's terms, so to speak, because they were indoors. Now that the tour has gone outdoors, where Evert rules on clay, they aren't meeting.

"I don't think she's avoiding me on clay courts," said Evert. "But I don't think she's going after me. I played on clay at the PGA (Palm Beach Gardens) and will be on clay at the Italian Open and this one at Amelia. She isn't playing any of those events. She's not challenging me. It should be a challenge for her, just like it's a challenge for me indoors. I guess she's waiting for the French Open."

Navratilova bristles when reporters ask why she and Evert won't be meeting outdoors until the French Open at the end of May.

"I want all you people to know I'm weary of hearing this," Navratilova said. "I'm not trying to avoid Chris on clay. In fact, I have a streak going on clay.

"It's my schedule. I can't play that many events. And I was the defending champion at Hilton Head, and I'm defending champion at Grenelefe. If I had my druthers, I'd be at Amelia because it's clay heading into the European circuit. Chris has reasons, too -- scheduling. It makes me so mad to think I'd alter my schedule because of who is playing."

It's unfortunate that the Citizen Cup at Palm Beach Gardens was called off the first weekend in April. The four-woman event had commitments from Navratilova, Evert, Andrea Jaeger and Billie Jean King. Citizen Cup officials said it was called off because of "insufficient national television coverage." TV blew a chance to see Martina challenge Chris on clay.

Tuesday, Evert received something called the George Dickel Whisky Pressure Proof Athlete of the Year Award. It's ironic, because Evert is practically a teetotaler. Navratilova was runnerup to Evert in the professional female athlete division in balloting by sports editors and broadcasters. Other winners for 1982 were Tom Watson (male pro), Herschel Walker (male amateur) and Mary Decker Tabb (female amateur). Evert's award included a color caricature. But there's one major flaw: the drawing shows her playing lefthanded ... Miami Beach will have the opportunity at its April 20 city commission meeting to make a progressive step in tennis. That's when it will consider approving a new stadium to be built at Flamingo Park, site of the famed Orange Bowl World Junior Championships in December. A potential donor already has been found for the stadium, which would seat 4,000 to 5,000. The stadium is sorely needed lest Miami Beach lose the Orange Bowl tournament the way it lost the Sunshine Cup (the junior Davis Cup) three years ago. Meanwhile, Miami Beach should take the opportunity to lure the Sunshine Cup back from Laver's International Resort in Delray Beach. The tournament's contract with the resort is up for renewal.

The 14th annual Burdines-Kodel Mixed Doubles Championship, featuring 64 teams from South Florida, will be held Friday through Sunday at the California Country Club in North Miami Beach. Among the top teams are Tim Cooper and Janet Haas of the Jockey Club, Frank Tutvin and Jodi Appelbaum of the Palm Bay Club, Steve Warboys and Bunny Smith of the California Country Club, Pat Cramer and Vikki Beggs of the Tennis Club of Palm Beach, John Geraghty and Sally Greer Belt of Coral Oaks Tennis Club and Ed Rubinoff and Donna Fales of Kings Bay Country Club.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 11:39 PM   #83

BASSETT, EVERT REACH FINAL
The Miami Herald
Sunday, April 17, 1983
From Herald Wire Services

Carling Bassett, the youngest player on the Women's Tennis Association Tour [sic], beat eighth-seeded Kathy Rinaldi, 6-2, 6-2, Saturday to set up a title match with Chris Evert Lloyd in the $250,000 Lipton WTA Championships at Amelia Island, Fla.

Evert, the top seed, defeated No. 4 Hana Mandlikova, 6-1, 6-4. Evert, who has won the last two WTA titles, has a home at Amelia Island and has won 48 straight sets in the tournament.

The winner of today's final (2 p.m., Ch. 7) will earn $32,000; the runnerup will get $16,000.

Bassett, a 15-year-old from Toronto who had upset sixth- seeded Virginia Ruzici and third-seeded Bettina Bunge, was never in danger against Rinaldi, breaking her serve in the first game of each set.

Rinaldi, 16, said, "I don't want to take anything away from Carling because she played well. But it was one of those days for me when I couldn't do anything right."

John Bassett, Carling's father and the majority owner of the Tampa Bay Bandits of the United States Football League, was at courtside.

Mandlikova fell to the clay court on the first point and later said she couldn't move very well the rest of the match.

But Evert said she didn't think the injury was serious.

"She was hurt?" Evert asked. "What, she skinned her knee? All of the top players fall down. I think she just played sloppy."

More tennis

Johan Kriek upset defending champion Jimmy Connors, 2-6, 6-4, 6-4, to reach today's final of the $255,000 Pacific Southwest Open at Los Angeles. Kriek will play the winner of Saturday's late match between Gene Mayer and Brian Gottfried for $36,000 first prize. "My serve in the third set was the key to winning the match," Kriek said. "I served and vollied when I really needed it, and he didn't come close to breaking my serve in the last set." ... Guillermo Vilas beat Tomas Smid, 7-6, 6-3, 6-4, to reach today's title match of the $250,000 WCT Spring Finals at Hilton Head Island, S.C. Vilas will play the winner of Saturday's late match between Brian Teacher and Ivan Lendl.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 12:05 AM   #84

EVERT GETS SCARE BUT FOLLOWS USUAL SCRIPT
Miami Herald, The (FL) - Monday, April 18, 1983
Author: JIM MARTZ Herald Sports Writer
For the last four months, life has been a fairy tale for 15- year-old Carling Bassett.

She won the Orange Bowl World Junior Tennis Championship in Miami Beach, played a starring role in the movie Spring Fever and became a tennis pro.

Sunday, she nearly turned Amelia Island into Fantasy Island.

Bassett, a Canadian whose father is majority owner of the USFL's fTampa Bay Bandits, was on the threshold of scoring a tremendous upset in a nationally televised match. She led Chris Evert Lloyd, 4-3, 30-0, in the third set of the final of the $250,000 Lipton/Women's Tennis Association tournament in Evert's back yard.

But Evert -- who never has lost at her Amelia Island Plantation home and never has lost on clay in Florida since turning pro a decade ago -- prevailed, 6-3, 2-6, 7-5.

Someone asked Bassett what it felt like to go into the lioness' den, stare her in the eye and take the lead.

"It was a beautiful experience," she said. "I played well and I feel really great."

The lioness -- the winner -- was less pleased.

"I was definitely a little uptight and not hitting out like I could," said Evert, who had won 49 consecutive sets at Amelia Island. "In the second and third sets she came to the net and scared me more.

"I'd never played her before, and now I know more what to expect. She's tougher than I thought. She can do everything -- play from the baseline and come to the net."

Visions of 15-year-old Chrissie Evert beating No. 1 Billie Jean King in straight sets in 1973 in Fort Lauderdale danced in Evert's head as she lost eight consecutive games in the second and third sets.

"Now I know how Billie Jean felt," she said.

And Bassett knows how Evert's victims on Florida clay often have felt -- helpless and frustrated.

"At 4-3, 30-0, in the third set, Chris played a good game," said Bassett. "And at four-all, I tried to go for too many winners. I wanted to get the game over with and wasn't patient enough. That's why she's Chris Evert and I'm Carling Bassett."

Did the unseeded Bassett, who had upset Bettina Bunge, Virginia Ruzici and Kathy Rinaldi en route to the final, choke in the final set?

Uh-uh, said Evert.

"I'd like to think it was my experience that made the difference," said Evert. "She's 15 and I'm 28."

Evert's title and $32,000 first prize came on her fourth wedding anniversary. But husband John was in Las Vegas, where he won a match in a qualifying tournament on the men's pro circuit.

In capturing her first tournament since the Murjani Cup in Palm Beach Gardens two months ago, Evert added to some already mind-boggling statistics:

* She won her 121st pro tournament title, more than any woman in history.

* She extended her professional match record on clay in Florida to 75-0 while winning her 16th title. Her over-all record in the state is 107-2 with 20 titles in 23 events. On clay throughout the world she is 259-7.

* She is 25-0 in matches and 50-1 in sets at Amelia Island Plantation, where Chris and John own a $250,000 oceanside townhouse.

Given all this, it wasn't surprising that Bassett said, "I have no disappointment at all.

"I didn't dream I'd win a set," said Bassett, cognizant that Martina Navratilova lost here, 6-0, 6-0, to Evert in the 1981 final. "I was going out hoping it would be a good match for NBC and I wouldn't lose easily. I didn't get nervous at all, as I did in the previous matches when I was ahead."

Bassett, who takes high school correspondence courses and trains under Nick Bollettieri in Bradenton, Fla., nearly doubled her pro earnings as she won $16,000. Asked if she still is in awe of Evert, she said, "Oh, yeah, of course."

And Evert reiterated that she is impressed with the latest
phenom on the circuit, although Chris admits she hasn't seen Spring Fever, the movie about junior tennis.

"I think it would be great if she could do both acting and tennis," said Evert. "It would be a first for the women's tour."
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 12:08 AM   #85

CARLING A DARLING, BUT NO EVERT II
The Miami Herald
Wednesday, April 20, 1983
JIM MARTZ

In the wake of 15-year-old Carling Bassett's near upset of Chris Evert Lloyd on Florida clay, two questions volley to the forefront: Is Carling the new darling of women's tennis? And will she be the next Chris Evert?

There's no doubt she'll be the latest phenom to win enough money to buy a Mercedes before she's old enough to drive it.

And there's no doubt the media will make a big fuss over Bassett just as it did over Kathy Rinaldi in 1981, Andrea Jaeger in 1980 and Tracy Austin in 1978. As one tennis promoter noted, Bassett has a star quality about her that will appeal to the media and the fans.

Moreover, the fact that she played a leading role in a movie about junior tennis -- Spring Fever -- should enhance her image. Never mind the fact that the movie, which was produced by her father, John Bassett, was sophomoric.

But it's too early to tell whether this Canadian blonde who grunts (or squeaks) on every shot will be the next Evert. Bassett shows the potential for a better all-court game than baseliners Austin, Jaeger and Rinaldi. And she displays a mental toughness that enabled her to "go for it" last week at Amelia Island, Fla., as she upended third-seeded Bettina Bunge, No. 6 Virginia Ruzici and No. 8 Rinaldi before nearly handing Evert her first loss on clay in Florida as a pro.

But I doubt Bassett or anyone else now on the tour will become the next Evert. Maybe no one will. Chris has outlived the challenges of Austin and Jaeger, and Rinaldi's once bright light has dimmed.

Evert, No. 2 in the world at age 28, is impressed with Bassett's savvy and skill. She also has some advice for the newest Miss Upstart.

"Every three or four years, someone comes along, whether it's a Tracy or an Andrea, and players have trouble getting used to her game the first year," Evert said. "It's kind of the novelty of having a new face on the horizon, and we don't know how many crosscourt forehands she hits, what she does in certain situations, etc.

"She's going to have to work on her game and gradually improve. Also, there will be the pressure. At 14, I had no
pressure. I'd look across the court and see Margaret Court or Billie Jean King, and they would be a nervous wreck. Half the game now for her will be pressure, especially against the younger players.

"But I think she can handle it. She doesn't have any weaknesses. I thought Rinaldi would take the tennis world by storm a couple of years ago. And look what happened to Tracy. Three years ago, I thought she would dominate, but she has had injuries and other interests."

Though Bassett's match Sunday was her first with Evert, it wasn't her first encounter with an Evert. She's 2-1 on the junior circuit against Chris' youngest sister, Clare, 15. But Bassett, who takes Canadian high-school correspondence classes while training under pro Nick Bollettieri at Bradenton, Fla., insists she won't let last week's success give her a fat head.

"I'm not going to dwell on this," she said before heading to the United Airlines Tournament of Champions this week at Grenelefe, Fla. "I've got to keep myself going or it will go to my head and I won't be hungry in the next tournament. But this does put more pressure on me."

What's surprising is that this precocious girl who is named after a beer has not become spoiled while growing up in a very wealthy family. Her name Carling comes from her mother Susan's family, the founders of Canada's Carling brewery. Her father, who played on the Canadian Davis Cup team in 1959, has owned the Montreal Canadiens and the Toronto Maple Leafs of the National Hockey League, the Memphis franchise of the World Football League and is majority owner of the Tampa Bay Bandits of the United States Football League.

What's also surprising is how much her game has improved since she won the Orange Bowl World Junior championship in
December.

"She's gaining confidence and believing in herself," said Bollettieri. "She's 12 months ahead of schedule."

But right on time for the women's tennis circuit. She may be the shot in the arm needed on the tour, which is becoming Martina Navratilova and the Dwarfs. Now we've got Martina, the Dwarfs and Darling Carling.

Van Winitsky of Lauderhill has been suspended for 35 days from playing in all Volvo Grand Prix tournaments and other events recognized by the Men's International Professional Tennis Council for attacking a spectator during a non-Grand Prix tournament in Antigua late last year ... The Mother's Day Battle of the Sexes featuring Bobby Riggs and Mal Anderson against Rosie Casals and Wendy Turnbull May 8 in Houston is being put together by Fort Lauderdale promoter George Liddy. "Ninety per cent of the women players say the women will kill the men," said Liddy. "But Jack Kramer says the men can't lose. Ted Tinling also picks the men, but Roy Emerson and Ken Rosewall pick the women."

The University of Miami women's tennis team has signed Australian Elizabeth Minter, the seventh-ranked junior in the world, to a scholarship next season. The UM men's squad, which plays at Florida today, is clinging to the No. 1 ranking in the Southeastern Region. An automatic bid, and a seeding, are issued to the top-ranked team in each region. Christo Steyn, UM's top singles player, has improved his record to 24-5.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 12:10 AM   #86

Tracy Austin shows signs of return to top form in early 1983 matches
The Christian Science Monitor
Friday, April 22, 1983
Mary Nenneman, Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor

Even though she was ranked No. 4 in the world in 1982, it was a subpar year by her own lofty standards. She won only one of a dozen tournaments, down from 12 of 21 in '80, and 7 of 14 in '81.

Last year's disappointing performance was generally attributed to a lingering injury that limited her playing time. Yet that problem appears behind her now as she's back to playing full time, seeking a return to her earlier form

By her own admission, a curtailed playing schedule has actually been a help in one way. Time off the circuit gave Austin time to think, slow her life down a bit, and mature. ''Life was going so fast before,'' she says. ''Last year gave me time to learn more about life, to grow as a person, and it made me realize what's really important is being happy and doing something you love to do. Right now, I love tennis, and I love my life style.''

What she has dearly missed, however, is winning. Austin's last tournament victory was in August of last year. She has been showing signs lately, though, that she may be about ready to break out of her victory drought. So far in '83, Austin has reached the semifinals at Houston, Chicago, and Boston, then two weeks ago she got to the final of the Family Circle tournament in Hilton Head, S.C., and took a set from Martina Navratilova before bowing 5-7, 6-1, 6-0

Her main obstacle now is in regaining the mental aspect of the game. ''What I need now,'' she relates, ''is more tough, grind-it-out matches, so I'll be mentally tough again. I didn't have enough of them last year.''

Austin notes that things started getting better last November. ''I got more motivated, and played more matches. I'm now realizing how mentally tough I was before my injuries. As I'm coming back it takes a while to stop thinking things like 'that lady in the stands is wearing a nice dress,' instead of the score being 30-15. I need to work on my concentration once again. I never realized how well I concentrated before.'

Though Austin has worked diligently to improve her all-around game, she has no illusions about ever becoming a great serve-and-volley player

''I want to be more aggressive,'' she says, ''but my game will always be a ground stroke game. It's my style of game and I'm not going to completely change what has brought me success.'

Her confidence has carried her this far, and it continues. Her main strength, she says, is believing in herself

In spite of setbacks in her career, she has never been outside the top 10 in the world since 1978. In 1979 Tracy won her first major title at the Italian Open, where she snapped Chris Evert Lloyd's 125-match clay court winning streak. The same year, at age 16, she became the youngest player ever to win the US Open. And in the summer of 1980 she gained the No. 1 world ranking

All this was only the continuation of her junior days, when she won nearly everything in sight, including a record 25 national junior titles. She began playing in junior tournaments as well as the pros, gaining both experience and confidence in her play. In 1977, when she was only 14, she won the National 18-and-under title and went on to reach the quarterfinals of the US Open.

In reflecting back to her formative days as a pro, she observes that for a while it all seemed relatively easy. Winning the US Open at 16, along with a number of other titles early in her career, she admits, could have been more detrimental to her than helpful at that point. ''It could have been too much too soon, but I wouldn't take those championships away, either!,'' she says. ''But because I won when I was so young, I expect so much of myself, and others expect a lot from me, too. And I don't want to let myself down, or let anyone else down either,'' she claims

''Winning the Open at 16 was something I never expected to happen,'' she continues. ''It was nice, but winning it again in '81 meant more to me since I had to work hard to win it and I really wanted it.''

While remaining positive about her prospects during the current season, she is careful to keep her aims within reach

''I don't think you should set goals too high,'' she says. ''My goal should not be to be the No. 1 player in the world, but it should be to win the tournament I'm playing in at that time. I'm not working on being No. 1. I'm working on my volleys and on being more aggressive. I'm basically just working on my game, trying to improve and be a better tennis player.'

Her determination to succeed on the tennis court may be what it takes for Austin to dominate again, says Marty Riessen, who coached her the last couple of years. She has since returned to Robert Lansdorp, her original mentor

According to Riessen, ''Tracy has the championship quality of a Bjorn Borg, a quality very few players actually possess. She has tremendous will power and great discipline, and works as hard as anyone on the tour. With the amount of effort she has put into tennis lately, I'll be surprised if she doesn't have a great season.''
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 12:15 AM   #87

It would seem that steely concentration did not necessarily run in the Evert family...

DISTRICT TENNIS PREVIEW: AQUINAS GIRLS NIP NOVA
The Miami Herald
Friday, April 15, 1983
HAL HABIB

If Thursday's St. Thomas Aquinas High-Nova girls' tennis match was a preview of next week's District 14 tournament, St. Thomas should win for the second consecutive year. But not by much.

Aquinas won Thursday's three-hour battle of unbeatens, 4-3, on a three-set No. 2 doubles victory by Julie Sica and Alysia Wilson on Nova's wind-blown courts.

"The district is going to be unreal," Aquinas Coach Jeanne Dubin said. "It will be exciting. It's up for grabs, our district title."

Aquinas' unbeaten record appeared in jeopardy when Nova took a 3-2 lead after the singles. But Aquinas' Clare Evert and Jill McKinnis beat Cheri Berger and Denise Fisher, 6-3, 6-3, at No. 1 doubles and Sica and Wilson beat Danielle Webster and Stacy Bloom, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3, to clinch the Raiders' ninth victory. Nova fell to 10-1, but Coach Nick Galante is looking forward to next week.

"I'm very happy -- not about the result, but from what I've seen out there," he said. "I think we can beat St. Thomas in the district. Our success depends on Berger improving and our No. 2 doubles improving. We just have to work harder."

Aquinas took control early, as No. 1 Evert and No. 2 Sica recorded victories. But victories by Webster, Berger and Stacy Bloom put Nova within a victory of clinching the match. Going into the doubles, the coolness associated with her surname hardly described Evert.

"I was a nervous wreck," said Evert, sister of Chris Evert Lloyd. "I didn't know if Alysia and Julie would pull it out. I went out on the court more worried about the No. 2 doubles. They proved to me they could do it."

Sica and Wilson jumped to a 3-2 lead in the third set, then broke serve to make it 4-2. Nova also broke serve, but a double-fault at game point gave Sica and Wilson a 5-3 lead before Sica served out the victory.

An equally tense match was Webster's victory over the fiery McKinnis, who is one of her close friends. The 7-5, 7-5 decision at No. 3 took an hour and 45 minutes.

Evert beat Fisher, 6-1, 6-2, in her first match since suffering an ankle injury two weeks ago. Evert was in control nearly the entire match. The exception was when she received needling from students walking to school buses parked near the courts. Evert double-faulted, slammed a ball against the fence where the students were gathered, then said, "You want to get these people out of here?" to school officials.

Evert later added, "They were making smart comments, and I wasn't appreciative of that. They started with, 'Oh, there's Chris Evert 's sister.' Then it got worse. It's so hard to concentrate with so many people around."

No. 1: Clare Evert (STA) d. Denise Fisher, 6-1, 6-2; No. 2: Julie Sica (STA) d. Susan Emmer, 6-2, 6-0; No. 3: Danielle Webster (N) d. Jill McKinnis, 7-5, 7-5; No. 4: Cheri Berger (N) d. Alysia Wilson, 6-2, 6-4; No. 5: Stacy Bloom (N) d. Shirley Beal, 6-2, 4-6, 6-3; No. 1: Evert-McKinnis (STA) d. Berger- Fisher, 6-3, 6-3; No. 2: Sica-Wilson (STA) d. Webster-Bloom, 6-2, 6-2.

Boys' tennis

Gulfstream Athletic Conference Championship at Pine Crest -- Team Totals: 1. (tie) Pine Crest, Miami Gulliver 14, 3. Miami Ransom-Everglades 7, 4. (tie) Westminster Christian, Miami Belen 5, 6. Coral Shores 1, 7. Marathon 0. Individual -- No. 1: Jeff Baxter (Gull) d. Jay Stephens (PC), 6-1, 2-6, 7-5; No. 2: John Burnham (PC) d. John Campbell, 6-0, 6-0; No. 3: Anton Serafini (Ransom) d. Lou Schwartz (Gull), 6-2, 6-0; No. 4: Jason Bell (Gull) d. Scott Greenwald (Ransom), 3-6, 6-4, 7-5; No. 5: Jim Horky (PC) d. Andre Urera (Gull), 6-2, 7-6. No. 1: Burnham- Stephens (PC) d. Shelfer-Torres (WC), 8-1; No. 2: John Horky- Larry Bergere (PC) d. Quintanna-Dalman (Belen), 8-6.

Hollywood Hills 5, Chaminade 2 -- No. 1: Dean Goldfine (Cham) d. Scott Warner, 6-2, 6-3; No. 2: Greg Donner (HH) d. Mike Wallace, 6-4, 6-1; No. 3: Jeff Henschel (HH) d. Tyrone Edwards, 6-2, 6-2. Hills finished 13-2.

Fort Lauderdale 4, Taravella 2 -- No. 1: Mike Goch (FtL) d. Howard Berk, 6-3, 6-3; No. 2: Cliff Harris (Tara) d. Mike Cohen, 6-1, 6-3; No. 3: Ed Kilgus (FtL) d. Jeff Michaelson, 6-1, 6-2. Fort Lauderdale is 9-4; Taravella is 3-6.

University 7, Fort Lauderdale Christian 0 -- No. 1: Jay Karmen (U) won by forfeit; No. 2: Mike Geller (U) d. Todd McDowell, 6-2, 6-3; No. 3: Jack Genser (U) d. Todd Balfoort, 6-0, 6-0. University is 12-2.

Miramar 7, Western 0 -- No. 1: Steve Jones (Mir) d. Todd Richardson, 6-0, 6-0; No. 2: David Liebowitz (Mir) d. Tim Kiernan, 6-0, 6-0. Miramar is 8-4.

Broward Christian 4, American Heritage 3 -- No. 1: Jimmy Gonzalez (BC) d. Jason McPharland, 8-0; No. 2: Jerry Gonzalez (BC) d. Rodney Milson, 8-1; No. 3: Jeff Silverstein (AH) d. Gerald Hagins, 8-1. Broward is 15-1; Heritage is 4-6.

Girls' tennis

South Plantation 4, Madonna 3 -- No. 1: Dina DeRosalia (Mad) d. Liz Starr, 6-1, 6-0; No. 2: Carrie Hacker (SP) d. Jeanne DiBenedetto, 3-6, 6-1, 6-2; No. 3: Mary Kay Fanning (Mad) d. Carolyn Skinner, 7-5, 1-6, 6-4.

Western 5, Miramar 2 -- No. 1: Laura Gordon (West) d. Angela Jacobs, 3-6, 6-2, 6-3; No. 2: Shelley Katz (Mir) d. Teri Childs, 6-4, 7-6 (5-1); No. 3: Michelle Seymour (West) won by default. Western is 7-7.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #88
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

I love these Mrs A!

The Temesvari-Navratilova match may have been the match of the year-too bad it was only in the quarters.

and LOL@ Evert's catty comment towards Mandlikova.

The Family Circle Final is still vivid in my memory book. It truly was a dodgy set from both women. 1 hold out of 12 games!

Once Martina turned it on the match was quickly in the bag for her. Lokking forward to more match reports. What a few of them bring back is all the talk of teenage players. By 1984 it would be replaced by all the talk of burnout.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 11:16 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
I love these Mrs A!
That's good to know because I'm always a little worried that some of these are too goofy/marginal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Lokking forward to more match reports. What a few of them bring back is all the talk of teenage players. By 1984 it would be replaced by all the talk of burnout.
In digging through all these articles, I am amazed at how predictable the press is with their teenage hype-and-then-discard cycles. Jaeger/Temesvari/Bassett turn into Sabatini/Graf/MJFernandez turn into Seles/Capriati/Pierce turn into Hingis/Kournikova/Venus turn into ...
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 11:17 PM   #90

TIME FOR RIGGS TO PIG OUT AGAIN
The Miami Herald
Tuesday, April 19, 1983
JIM MARTZ

Bobby Riggs, the self-proclaimed Male Chauvinist Pig, will celebrate the 10th anniversary of his Mother's Day victory over Margaret Court by playing another Battle of the Sexes tennis match. He'll team with 1957 U.S. National singles champion Mal Anderson against reigning U.S. Open doubles champs Rosie Casals and Wendy Turnbull May 8 at Houston's Astroarena.

The winners will earn $50,000 and bragging rights; the losers will get $25,000 and become the brunt of sexist jokes.

"Rosie says I'm too old, I waddle like a duck, I can't see or hear and that I'm an idiot," Riggs said Monday by phone from San Diego, where he has been training. "I say wait until Mother's Day, then we'll find out."

Riggs, now 65, challenged and defeated Court, 6-2, 6-1, in Ramona, Calif., on Mother's Day 1973. Then he lost to Billie Jean King , 6-4, 6-3, 6-3, before a television audience of almost 50 million -- the largest ever to see tennis on TV -- and 30,492 paying spectators at the Houston Astrodome in September 1973.

"It was my idea to play Rosie and Wendy," Riggs said. "Our combined age is 113, and theirs is 65. The gals are putting their reputation on the line. They'll feel like two cents if they don't beat us. And if we win, we'll challenge Billie Jean this fall for the 10th anniversary of the Astrodome match. "

Casals sees no Mother's Day jinx, saying, "Margaret Court was a mother, and we aren't."