1983 - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 9th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #61
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1983

NAVRATILOVA CHANGES ATTITUDE FOR NEW YORK TOURNAMENT
The Miami Herald
Wednesday, March 23, 1983
From Herald Wire Services

Although she played 93 matches last year, Martina Navratilova has no problem remembering the agonizing details of all her losses.

That's because she lost only three times, and two of them came in New York. What's more, both of those defeats, by Sylvia Hanika and Pam Shriver, came after she breezed through the opening set, 6-1.

Still, she has no fear returning to New York for today's start of a $350,000 championship bringing together the top 15 women in the world, plus Evonne Goolagong Cawley, who was given a wild-card entry.

The tournament, carrying a top prize of $80,000, is known as the Virginia Slims Championships of New York.

"I've also won here before and I've won in the Garden twice," said Navratilova, who plays her first match Thursday night against Hana Mandlikova. "I can't be psyched out about a tournament. It's the same players, the same lighting, the same carpet. There's no more reason to lose here than in China or anywhere else.

"Last year you guys [the media] gave me the trophy and the money [before she lost in the final to Hanika]. I'm not going to let you do it this time. Last year I was trying to make sure I didn't lose instead of trying to make sure that I won, and I won't do that again."

Navratilova hasn't come close to losing in 1983. She's played in five tournaments, including an exhibition in Los Angeles. Not only has she won all 24 of her matches, she has yet to drop a set.

She already holds two decisions this year over Chris Evert Lloyd, ranked second in the world and seeded second here. Evert had the flu earlier this week.

"I know I'm playing as well as I ever played," said Navratilova, whose career earnings exceed $5 million. "My results speak of that. I'm hitting the ball better, and I know what I'm doing on the court. There's no reason for me not to be confident."

"She has so much confidence now that a lot of girls are psyched out when they get on the court," Tracy Austin said. "They don't believe they can win, and that helps her. But nobody is ever unbeatable."

Mandlikova, her first-round opponent, added, "Against her, everything is confidence. Some players, before they go in a match, are afraid they're going to lose. That's not the right attitude."

Navratilova sometimes can sense the intimidation.

"I am playing better, and everyone knows it," she said. "Maybe the others put extra pressure on themselves to make the best shot, and because of that they'll make a mistake. That's where intimidation comes in."

Hanika, the left-handed West German, who upset Navratilova in the final at Madison Square Garden last year, opens play against Kathy Rinaldi at 6 p.m. Wednesday, followed by Austin against Virginia Ruzici, Evert-Zina Garrison and Bettina Bunge- Bonnie Gadusek.

Wendy Turnbull, winner of a tournament in Boston Sunday, faces Barbara Potter starting at 10 a.m. Thursday, followed by Shriver-Goolagong and the winner of the Austin-Ruzici match against the Rinaldi-Hanika winner.

Billie Jean King will face No. 3 seed Andrea Jaeger for the first time in her career at 6 p.m. Thursday, followed by Navratilova against Mandlikova and then the Evert-Garrison winner against the survivor of Bunge-Gadusek.

Jaeger, who pulled out of last week's tournament in Boston with injuries to her Achilles tendon and knee, said she is feeling much better now.

Thomas Hogstedt, a 19-year-old Swede who emerged from qualifying rounds, upset fifth-seeded American Steve Denton in a first-round match of the $365,000 Cuore Tennis Cup Tuesday at Milan.

Hogstedt needed two hours and 28 minutes, three sets and two tie-breakers to score an unexpected 7-6, 3-6, 7-6 victory over Denton. In winning, he gained a berth in the second round at Milan's indoor Sports Palace.

Hogstedt, who had gone through three elimination matches before qualifying for the 32-player tournament of the Grand Prix circuit, showed a precise serve, powerful two-hand backhand passing shots and was tough in the crucial moments of the match.

The 26-year-old Denton is 13th in the world rankings.

Hogstedt, the 1981 U.S. Open junior champion at Flushing Meadows, N.Y., won the first set tie-breaker, 8-6.

In the third-set tiebreaker, Denton built a 5-2 lead. The young Swede then scored five straight points to win the tie- breaker, 7-5, the set and the match. In the second round, he will play Brazilian Marcos Hocevar.

In the exhausting third set, Denton and the Swede exchanged shots for 58 minutes.

In other first-round matches, South African Kevin Curren, 25, defeated Paul McNamee, a 28-year-old Australian, 6-4, 7-5, and Czechoslovakian Tomas Smid ousted American Fritz Buehning, 6-4, 6-0, in 49 minutes. Both Smid and the 23-year-old Buehning, were unseeded.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 9th, 2013, 07:34 PM   #62

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

NAVRATILOVA LOSES SET BUT WINS MATCH
The Miami Herald
Saturday, March 26, 1983
BOB GREENE, Associated Press

Surviving a first-set scare, top-seeded Martina Navratilova roared from behind to oust Hana Mandlikova, while crowd favorite Billie Jean King upset third-seeded Andrea Jaeger in first-round matches during the $350,000 Virginia Slims Championships of New York Thursday night.

Earlier, Sylvia Hanika advanced with a 6-4, 7-5 upset of fourth-seeded Tracy Austin.

Navratilova, dropping a set for the first time in 1983, beat Mandlikova 4-6, 6-1, 6-0, and King, at 39 the oldest player in the tournament at Madison Square Garden, stopped Jaeger, 5-7, 6-2, 6-2.

In other matches Thursday, Barbara Potter eliminated No. 6 Wendy Turnbull, 6-2, 6-3, and No. 5 Pam Shriver stopped Evonne Goolagong Cawley, 6-1, 6-3.

Also advancing was second-seeded Chris Evert Lloyd, who defeated No. 7 Bettina Bunge for the seventh straight time, 6-1, 7-5.

Evert breezed through the first set before Bunge fought back with superb passing shots and all-round court play in the second set. The 19-year-old West German saved two match points with aces before finally succumbing to the 28-year-old Evert, a six-time U.S. Open singles champion.

Navratilova's victory sends her into the quarterfinals against Shriver, her doubles partner and closest friend on the women's tennis tour, and the person who upset her in the quarterfinals of the 1982 U.S. Open. King will face Potter in the quarterfinals.

King, who has won a record 20 titles at Wimbledon, delighted the crowd of 10,383 as she fought her was past a foe 22 years her junior. Jaeger, who later said she was bothered by injuries, never was in the match after the first set.

"Her heart and soul was not in it [the match] 100 per cent," King said of Jaeger. "Sometimes you can play badly, but the effort is there. Maybe she injured herself during the match. I really don't know."

Like King, Navratilova fell quickly behind, losing her serve in the first and third games as Mandlikova jumped out to a 3-0 lead. The 21-year-old Czech combined a bewildering assortment of passing shots with Navratilova's unforced errors to move out front.

After handing Navratilova her first loss in 43 consecutive sets, Mandlikova broke her foe again to start the second set.

Then, as suddenly as the winning streak began, it ended. Mandlikova never won another game as the world's top-ranked women's player dominated from the baseline and at the net.

Navratilova served seven aces, but it was when they came that counted.

She capped her second-set victory with ace No. 5 and served the final one to end the match. Five of her seven aces came on game points.

The victory was Navratilova's ninth in 12 career meetings with Mandlikova and her eighth in a row. It was only the fourth time the two had battled through three sets -- two of those coming in their first two meetings.

Hanika upset Navratilova in the final at Madison Square Garden a year ago when this tournament was the windup of the winter circuit. She has reached four finals this year -- in Washington, Houston, Oakland and Boston -- but has yet to post a victory.

Hanika was too powerful against Austin, who suffered through a subpar 1982 with injuries. It was the first time Hanika has bested Austin in seven career meetings.

The two traded service breaks in the fifth and sixth games of the first set, then held in the seventh and eighth games to level the set at 4-4. But the West German lefthander then ripped off 12 of the next 13 points to capture the set.

Alternating pace and changing spins, Hanika forced Austin into numerous unforced errors, uncharacteristic for the two- time U.S. Open winner.

Austin broke Hanika in the second game of the second set, but the German broke right back in the third. They traded breaks again in the fifth and sixth games.

In the seventh game, Austin fought through four deuces before holding serve, then broke Hanika for a 5-3 lead.

With Austin serving for the set, Hanika jumped out to a love-40 lead. Austin saved one break point with a forehand volley, then lost her service when she sailed a forehand long.

Hanika held serve at 15, broke Austin in the 11th game at 15, then held at 30 to close out the 1-hour, 35-minute match.

Potter, a hard-serving lefthander ranked 13th in the world on the Women's Tennis Association computer, used her overpowering serve to down Turnbull, fresh from winning the Slims tourney in Boston on Sunday. Potter finished with 15 aces, while Turnbull committed seven double-faults, including one to close out the first set.
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #63

NAVRATILOVA, EVERT MEET TODAY IN FINAL
The Miami Herald
Sunday, March 27, 1983

Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert Lloyd, the first and second seeds, advanced to today's final of the $350,000 Virginia Slims Championships of New York with quick, decisive victories Saturday.

Navratilova needed only 55 minutes to beat West Germany's Sylvia Hanika, 6-1, 6-1, and Evert polished off Billie Jean King, 6-1, 6-1, in 54 minutes.

The champion of this tournament, the world's richest for women, will earn $80,000, with $45,000 going to the runnerup. Hanika and King will battle for the $25,000 third-place prize, with fourth place worth $20,000.

Before Saturday's semifinals, Navratilova said she lacked no confidence, despite the fact that Hanika was one of only three players to beat her last year (Evert and Pam Shriver were the other two). Hanika rallied from 0-40 to hold serve in the match's first game but won only two points over the next two games.

"I knew I was going to break her serve more than she was going to break mine, so I was not afraid," Navratilova said.

King, 39, got her chance to play Evert by using an aggressive serve-and-volley game to beat Andrea Jaeger and Barbara Potter. But Saturday, Evert played her steady baseline game to near-perfection, winning with passing shots almost every time King charged the net.

Evert has a career 30-21 advantage on Navratilova going into today's final, but Navratilova has won 10 of their last 15 matches since early 1980, including two this year.

"She owes me one more than I owe her," Navratilova said. "Always in the past, with Chris we've had great matches. You don't need extra incentive."

Evert added, "For those who think it's an unfriendly rivalry, it's not. It's a friendly rivalry, but in the back of each other's minds she feels I'm her big rival and I think she's my big rival."

Tennis

Top-seeded Ivan Lendl of Czechoslovakia struggled to beat American Chip Hooper, 6-7 (5-7), 7-5, 6-2, in the semifinals of the $365,000 Cuore Cup in Milan, Italy. In today's final, Lendl will play South African Kevin Curren, who downed American Bill Scanlon, 6-4, 7-6 (9-7). First prize is $70,000 ... Spain's Manuel Orantes and Sweden's Henrik Sundstrom reached today's final of a $75,000 men's tournament in Nice, France. In the semifinals, Orantes beat Fernando Luna, 6-2, 6-2, and Sundstrom defeated Mario Martinez, 7-5, 6-2 ... Bjorn Borg will play his in last pro tournament this week in the $300,000 Monte Carlo Open, which will begin Monday. Borg agreed to play in Monaco, where he lives, to gain exemption from taxes.
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #64

NAVRATILOVA WHIPS EVERT, 6-2, 6-0
The Miami Herald
Monday, March 28, 1983

Martina Navratilova, again proving herself without peer in women's tennis, swept through the last 10 games to stun Chris Evert Lloyd, 6-2, 6-0, Sunday in the final of the $350,000 Virginia Slims Championship of New York.

Navratilova now has won the singles and doubles titles of all five tournaments she has played this year. She has won 27 straight matches since losing to Evert in the Australian Open final, and has won 114 of her last 117 matches.

Navratilova, 26, earned $80,000 for winning the singles plus another $15,000 for her doubles victory Saturday. That brought her career earnings to $5,161,059.

"Martina cleaned my clock today," said Evert, who only a day earlier had talked of her aspirations of reclaiming the world's No. 1 ranking. "I hope that this was one of her better matches. It had better be."

Navratilova moved extremely well and was particularly effective at the net, managing to return just about everything that Evert sent at her. By midway through the second set, it appeared that Evert had just lost hope, and she double faulted twice in the fourth game, the second one coming at break point.

In all, Evert managed only 15 points in the second set and bowed out in 64 minutes.

"I didn't expect it to be that quick," Navratilova said. "My coach, Renee Richards, prepared me for a two-hour match.

"There was no reason for me not to be confident. I've been playing well, and I had my confidence."

Evert managed to make a match of it only for the first five games, and the fifth game may have been the turning point. Evert had a triple break point, but was unable to capitalize as Navratilova won the next five points and held service with a lob.

Navratilova then broke in the next game at 15 when Evert sent a backhand into the net; Navratilova didn't lose another game.

In the second set, Evert could reach deuce only once on Navratilova's serve and otherwise never threatened to break.

Evert, who earned $45,000, leads, 30-22, in a series that started in 1973, but Navratilova has won 11 of the last 16 meetings.

Sylvia Hanika defeated Billie Jean King, 6-1, 7-6 (7-5), in the consolation match. King broke service in the 12th game of the second set to force the tie- break, but her West German opponent took an early lead in the tie-break and managed to hold on.

Ivan Lendl, the No. 1-ranked player in the world, won a third set tie-breaker after spoiling four match points to defeat unseeded South African Kevin Curren in the final of the Cuore Tennis Cup at Milan, Italy.

Lendl, 23, won, 5-7, 6-3, 7-6 (7-4). He earned $70,000 and took a lead of almost 300 points in the over-all standings of the Volvo Grand Prix circuit.

Sunday's victory brought Lendl back to the top after a string of disappointing early-round eliminations in recent tournaments.

Lendl had six double faults and 10 aces in the match at the sold-out indoor Sports Palace of Milan. It was his fifth victory in five matches with Curren.

Curren earned $35,000.

Bjorn Borg, appearing in his last tournament before retiring at the age of 26, didn't get much help from his wife Mariana during the draw for the Monte Carlo Grand Prix.

Mariana, invited to draw Borg's opening opponent in the $360,000 clay-court tournament, selected third-seeded Jose-Luis Clerc of Argentina for the first-round match today at the Monte Carlo Country Club.

Borg is a member of the Monte Carlo club and entered the 32-man tournament on a wild card.
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #65

NIT has own personality; Navratilova in the 'zone'; baseball openers set
The Christian Science Monitor
Thursday, March 31, 1983
Ross Atkin

[...]
27-0 and counting

In tennis, when everything is clicking players are said to be in the ''zone.'' Martina Navratilova resides there now. No one has come close to beating her this year, not even the estimable Chris Evert Lloyd. The two met last Sunday in New York, and it was no contest, with Navratilova winning 6-2, 6-0 in the richest final on the women's winter tour. The world's top-ranked player indicated it ''was pretty close to as good as I can play.'' Evert Lloyd, who suffered her worst defeat in 13 years, probably hopes so.

If Navratilova has lifted her game, it can't be by too much. In 93 matches a year ago she lost only three times - once each to Evert Lloyd, Pam Shriver, and Sylvia Hanika, all of whom Martina defeated in New York. In doubles she's been just as devastating, accumulating a perfect record with Shriver. In the past, she has been on the ''Doubles Team of the Year'' four times with three different partners.

The real measure of greatness, of course, generally comes in the major tournaments, particularly Wimbledon and the US Open. She has to go some to catch the likes of Evert Lloyd and Billie Jean King at these events. Billie Jean has a total of 10 victories at the two tournaments and Chris nine. Martina has won Wimbledon three times but, like Bjorn Borg, is still looking for her first US Open title.

[...]
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #66

WHITE WEATHERS JAUSOVEC
Philadelphia Daily News
Friday, March 4, 1983
United Press International

For two days, driving rain virtually halted all activity in the desert, including tennis. The rain finally subsided, but Yugoslavia's Mima Jausovec wishes it didn't.

Little-known Wendy White turned the third-seeded Jausovec's first match of the tournament into her last match last night, posting a 3-6, 6-3, 6-3 victory in the opening round of a $50,000 tournament.

White lost the first set, but early in the second the 22-year-old's service began to take its toll on Jausovec, and she easily captured the final two sets.

In the other featured match, top-seeded Hana Mandlikova of Czechoslovakia breezed to a 6-2, 6-0 victory over Mary Lou Piatek. Mandlikova played nearly flawless tennis to beat Piatek, who defeated Leigh Thompson, 5-7, 6-1, 6-1, earlier in the day as officials scurried to make up matches postponed because of two days of rain.
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #67

MANDLIKOVA HURT AGAIN
Philadelphia Daily News
Saturday, March 5, 1983

For top-seeded Hana Mandlikova, the $50,000 tennis tournament at Rancho Mirage has been nothing but a royal pain in the knee.

Mandlikova retired from her match yesterday against Canada's Carling Bassett after dropping the first set, 6-3, complaining of pain from a recurring knee injury.

Mandlikova has had right knee problems for several months. She pulled out of an indoor event in Chicago last month. She looked strong beating Mary Lou Piatek Thursday and rattled off the first three games of yesterday's match against Bassett in similar fashion.

But the 21-year-old then began to miss many of her shots, and she lost the next six consecutive games before informing the umpire she was withdrawing from the tournament and a shot at the $9,000 first prize.
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #68

TURNBULL WINS TITLE IN BOSTON
Philadelphia Daily News
Monday, March 21, 1983

Wendy Turnbull used a variety of serves and accurate volleys yesterday to defeat Sylvia Hanika, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4, in the finals of a $150,000 women's tennis tournament.

Turnbull, 30, was runner-up in the same tournament last year. As in her semifinal match against Tracy Austin, Turnbull dominated the first set, appeared tentative in her shot selection and execution in the second, and then returned to form for the third set and the win.

Hanika, who has now gained the finals in four tournaments since the beginning of the year and lost all four, said in a post-match interview, ''Wendy keeps the ball very deep and her slices are very flat, which on this court makes it difficult for me to play my game."

The match was played on a carpet surface at Boston Garden before 5,247 spectators.

Turnbull, who earned $28,000 for her victory, had lost to Hanika in their last two meetings. "But I learned from our match in San Francisco and I saw how Billy Jean (King) served to her last night, so I tried to take some of the pace off my serve to her backhand," Turnbull said.

The strategy worked as the heavy-set Hanika had difficulty with the varied pace and placement.

Turnbull, who said she "concentrated very well when it counted," also tried to prevent Hanika from setting up on her groundstrokes.

In the first set, the two women each broke the other's serve once during the first nine games, but Turnbull broke Hanika again in the 10th game to win the set.

Turnbull's fatigue from the 12:15 a.m. conclusion of her match against Austin began to show in the second set, when she made many more unforced errors and was not placing the ball as deeply. Hanika also began to pass Turnbull more easily at net.

The two women each held serve through the first six games of the third set before Turnbull, ranked sixth in the world, attained the sole service break of the set.

Hanika said she believed the turning point of the match was when she had double-break point on Turnbull's serve in the second game of the second set but could not win it.

"I lost that and I just let it go," she said.

Turnbull, of Australia, who suffered from tennis elbow last year, said she is enjoying competition more now.

"When I had the elbow problem I realized how much I enjoyed playing. Still, after coming here to Boston for so long, it's just nice to win."

Hanika received $14,000 for second place.
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #69

TURNBULL WINS TO END BOSTON DRY SPELL
The Miami Herald
Tuesday, March 22, 1983
ASSOCIATED PRESS

Veteran Wendy Turnbull says she has lost count of the number of times she has entered Boston tennis tournaments and come up short.

But the 30-year-old Australian grabbed the net early and often Sunday to end the dry spell with a 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 victory over Sylvia Hanika of West Germany in the final of the $150,000 Virginia Slims of Boston tennis tournament.

"I wanted to be the one attacking the net, make her hit the passing shots," said Turnbull, who finished second in Boston last year and upset Tracy Austin Saturday night to make it to the final round.

"When it really counted, I concentrated well and I was aggressive in the right games. I put the pressure on Sylvia at 3-all in the third set ... and she was not able to hold serve," Turnbull said after the see-saw match with Hanika.

The two players offered a classic matchup of styles. Turnbull, a one-time Boston Lobster on the team-tennis circuit, was steadier and dominated the match when she grabbed center court. The more powerful Hanika, 23, took charge when she had enough time to set up her zooming backhand passing shots at the baseline.

"She is more effective when she has that extra second, a split-second to set up for it [the backhand]," Turnbull said. "When you've got her running, she doesn't have that much choice."

Brian Teacher won the WCT Indoor event in Munich, beating fellow American Mark Dickson, 1-6, 6-4, 6-2, 6-3 ... Gene Mayer upset top-seeded Guillermo Vilas of Argentina, 6-1, 7-6, to win the Rotterdam Grand Prix event. Mayer's victory was his first over Vilas and gave him his first 1983 title ... Top-seeded Rod Laver captured the Foster Lager event for older players with a 6-3, 1-6, 7-5 victory over Ken Rosewall at Naples, Fla.
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 07:40 PM   #70

EASTER BOWL: FLORIDIANS FEW
The Miami Herald
Tuesday, March 29, 1983
JIM MARTZ

The top seeds come from places like Brentwood, Tenn., Woodbury, N.Y., and Grosse Point, Mich. Other leading contenders grooved their strokes in such coldbeds of tennis as Lodi, Ohio, Okemos, Mich., and Excelsior, Minn.

Where are the Floridians? The few that you do find in this week's Olympus Easter Bowl junior tournament at Laver's International Tennis Resort in Delray Beach are several notches down the line.

Florida may continue to rank second only to California in terms of depth in junior tennis, but it's not No. 2 in cranking out superstars as it used to be. There are no Chris Evert Lloyds or Kathy Rinaldis or even a Van Winitsky in this week's Americans-only tournament that has attracted the nation's best boys and girls.

Of the 72 seeded players in the three boys' and three girls' age divisions, only 12 are from Florida. A 13th would have been Miami's Mary Joe Fernandez, No. 6 in girls' 14-and-under, who withdrew because of illness. The highest seed is Fort Lauderdale's Clare Evert, No. 3 in the girls' 16.

And South Florida, which has traditionally led the state in producing talent, has only one player besides Evert ranked among the top eight seeds. That's North Miami's Amy Schwartz, who has moved into Fernandez's No. 6 spot in the girls' 14.

Two seeds from upstate were ousted in Monday's first-round play. Jeff Chambers of St. Petersburg, No. 5 in boys' 18, lost to Scott Moody of Larchmont, N.Y., 7-6 (7-5), 6-3. And Jeff Brown of Hawthorne, No. 4 in boys' 16, lost to Jim Childs of Atlanta, 4-6, 6-4, 8-6.

"Last year I predicted California and Florida would not dominate," said Seena Hamilton, director of the 16th annual Easter Bowl. "California is still kind of heavy. With John Ross of Gainesville and Chuck Willenborg of Miami Shores now in college, Florida has a lot of good, solid talent but no domination. It's always a cycle, but I don't know why."

Bobby Curtis, junior coordinator for the Florida Tennis Association and the Youth Tennis Foundation, is searching for the answer, too.

"I can't say if it's a cycle, but the last two or three years we've dropped in numbers," said Curtis. "I don't know if it's because the money isn't there to travel around the country to play in tournaments, or if the others have caught up with us.

"Our depth is as big as ever. But we have been allowed only seven players per age division in the national tournament, and this year it's only six. That's based on our number of members in the FTA."

Only the boys were in action Monday, and the top seeds advanced easily. Aaron Krickstein of Grosse Point, Mich., No. 1 in boys' 18, whipped Chris Maier of Atlanta, 6-0, 6-3; Ricky Brown of Brentwood, Tenn., tops in the 16s, downed Cortney Taylor of St. Petersburg, 6-0, 6-3; and Chris Garner of Bayshore, N.Y., breezed past Tommy Alfono of San Antonio, Tex., 6-1, 6-0.

The girls' 18 and 14 divisions begin competition today and the girls' 16 will begin Wednesday.
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 07:41 PM   #71

BERGER LOSES FINAL, BUT WINS THE WAR
The Miami Herald
Monday, April 4, 1983
SANDY KEENAN

Unseeded Jay Berger is probably the happiest loser in the 16-year history of the Olympus Easter Bowl Tennis Tournament. He soundly lost the 16-and-under final to Ricky Brown, 6-2, 6-3, Sunday at Laver's International Resort in Delray Beach, but he earned a much bigger victory in the week leading up to the final.

At last year's Easter Bowl tournament, a showcase of the nation's best junior players, a serious injury to Berger's right knee forced him out in the second round. A doctor told Berger that he might never play tennis again.

Wrong. After surgery, and seven months of off-court rehabilitation, Berger, a 16-year-old junior at Plantation High, is defintely back. Unranked last year, he was refused entry into the Orange Bowl Tournament and barely made it into the 292- player Easter Bowl draw.

The rebuilt Berger soon proved he belonged back among the nation's best, knocking off the No. 11, No. 2, and No. 8 seeds to reach the championship match.

"I was surprised to be playing him," said Brown, the No. 1 seed, after the 80-minute final. "He was moving like a rabbit. It didn't seem like there was much wrong with his knee."

Brown, 16, of Brentwood, Tenn., controlled the match with a powerful serve (four aces) and crushing overheads, but Berger won over the South Florida crowd -- inundated with his friends and neighbors from Plantation.

"The crowd got me pumped up," Brown said. "I love it when they're against you. I enjoyed beating him in front of his own crowd."

Berger, a scrappy player partial to topspin lobs and finesse dropshots, didn't appear too upset by the loss. "Ricky played well, and I played well." he said. "He just played better than me today."

Once ranked in the nation's top 10 in the 12-and-under and 14-and-under divisions, Berger hopes to repeat the feat this year in the 16s. Two years ago, he reached the 14-and-under Orange Bowl final before losing, his top accomplishment before this week.

"I think this tournament is a little bit more meaningful
because of my rehabilitation," Berger said. "Maybe I proved to everyone else what I already knew myself -- that I am back and they better watch out."

In the girls' 16-and-under final, 13-year-old Stephanie Rehe fended off Colinne Bartell, 15, in a 2 1/2-hour marathon, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1.

Rehe, the nation's top-rated 14-and-under player from Highland, Calif., maintained a steady, unflappable pace while Bartell's play vacillated from hot to cold.

"I just tried to be too aggressive," said Bartell, a short, stocky player from Lodi, Ohio. "I had never played her before. I think she's one of the steadiest players around, and very mentally tough."

Rehe, a svelte 5-9, is coached by Robert Lansdorf, who used to instruct Tracy Austin.

"She was hitting really hard shots," Rehe said, "and I was just trying to be steady. I hung in there, and she made a lot more errors in the third set."

In the girls' 14-and-under championship match, Halle Cioffi of Knoxville, Tenn., defeated Susan Sloan of Lexington, Ky., 6-3, 7-5.

The longest match of the seven-day tournament came in the playoff for third place in the boys' 14-and-under draw. Tom Blackmore of Rolling Hill, Calif., and David Wheaton, of Excelsior, Minn., played for four hours and 35 minutes Saturday before Blackmore won, 6-2, 3-6, 23-21.

In other matches late Saturday: Aaron Krickstein of Grosse Point, Mich., defeated Bill Stanley of Rye, N.Y., 6-4, 7-5, in the boys' 18-and-under final; Terry Phelps of Larchmont, N.Y., topped Leigh Anne Eldredge of Altadena, Calif., 4-6, 6-4, 6-4, to win the girls' 18 title; and Chris Garner of Bayshore, N.Y., beat Miami's Greg Levine, 6-2, 7-5, in the boys' 14 championship match.
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #72

TWO VERY FORGETTABLE FLICKS DEBUT
Philadelphia Daily News
Wednesday, March 9, 1983
JOE BALTAKE

Regarding two of the new films that opened over the weekend, let me just say this: If I had more time, I would have been briefer:

"Spring Fever." A comedy starring Susan Anton, Jessica Walter and Frank Converse. Introducing Carling Bassett. Directed by Joseph L. Scanlan. Written by Stuart Gillard and Fred Stefan. Music by Fred Mollin. Running Time: 100 minutes. In area theaters. (Screened at the Ellisberg Cinema, New Jersey)

The print ads for this film loom as yet another message to and from middle America: It shows two bikini-clad young women dousing a not-so-unhappy stud with light beer. Specifically, they're spraying the foam in his crotch area.

I bring up this dubious ad, not because it titillated me, but because it has absolutely nothing to do with what goes on in the movie. One would be hard put to find either a beach or light beer in "Spring Fever," a throwaway comedy about a tennis tournament for teenage girls.

True, the central teen character (Carling Bassett) does get to jog on the beach, but she's wearing a sweat suit. And, yes, her show-girl mama (Susan Anton) does get to drink beer in the bar where she picks up men.

So much for beach-and-beer action in "Spring Fever" (even the title doesn't make sense!), a large part of which is devoted to the competition between the little girls in general and between the mothers (Anton and a wicked Jessica Walter) in particular. The clowning and bickering are terribly forced and, before long, "Spring Fever" seems nothing more than an extended (and endless) commercial for Nike sneakers, Dunlop tennis racquets, Bain de Soleil, Anton's teeth and her beer.

I'm not sure, however, if it's the same light beer used in the ads.

One great scene: Anton singing to herself and catty Walter slipping her a bill for her services.

"time walker." An action thriller starring Ben Murphy, Nina Axelrod, Kevin Brophy and James Karen. Directed by Tom Kennedy. Adapted by Tom Friedman and Karen Levitt from a story by Jason Williams and Friedman. Music by Richard Band. Running Time: 90 minutes. In area theaters (Screened at Budco Community, Barclay Farm, N.J.)

This movie bears a tenuous relationship to those old Mummy horror movies that were the bane of the '50s and still haunt certain TV channels on Saturday afternoons.

Its lone claim to fame, however, has nothing to do with the resurrection of a decrepit movie genre, but with its thorough lack of style. "time walker" is a veritable textbook example on how to make a horror film on the cheap - and without mirrors.

By restricting the action of his film to a college campus and by wrapping his monstrous thing in mummy garb, director Tom Kennedy had half of his film made. The remainder of it dotes on people who should know better (college profs, the police, brainy doctors) doing all the wrong things and going in all the wrong places on the misty campus.

Kennedy's mummy rises from his sarcophagus when a larky frat brother steals the five precious stones hidden in the tomb. Throughout the rest of the tilm, this "time walker" - a mummy from another galaxy - roams the campus, retrieving his stones and literally scorching the wrongdoers.

The cast is aptly flighty, risky and gabby, particularly Kevin Brophy as the fraternity house goof-off whose theft triggers the mayhem, and Nina Axelrod, a strong-willed, straight-haired blonde who gets to scream into the moonlight.

Note in Passing: I previewed "time walker" at South Jersey's Community Theater on the last day of the theater's existence. It is slated to become a restaurant. A sad farewell to yet another movie house. . .

Parental Guide: Both films are rated PG, both pretty much for their language.
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #73

THIS 'BEACH' FLICK DESERVES TO BE BURIED
The Philadelphia Inquirer
Wednesday, March 9, 1983
Rick Lyman

The ad shows two bikini-ed women on a tropical beach pouring beer down the trunks of a grinning young man who happens to be standing on his head.

Your conclusion, Holmes?

Obviously what we are dealing with, Watson, is an insidious specimen of the soft-porn, youth-exploitation beach flick.

Wrong, Annette Funicello breath.

Spring Fever, despite what its ad may lead you to believe, is not a beach flick. It is an inept, two-year-old Rocky rip-off set in the scintillating world of preteen tennis tournaments. Somebody apparently pulled its script off a well-deserved back shelf, blew off the dust and decided another buck could be made by trying to pass it off as a springtime beach movie.

What was assembled was an unimpressive cast of TV has-beens, with the mixture spiced with dashes of jiggle-sitcom humor. It's the kind of story that thinks 12-year-olds casually dropping an obscenity are a laugh riot.

It's all about a 13-year-old named K. C., the junior female tennis champion of Las Vegas. Her mother (Susan Anton) is a showgirl, low in social status but high in parental devotion.

K. C. and Mom travel to a small condo community outside Sarasota, Fla., for the national under-13 championships. The snobs and rich creeps treat them shamefully, clucking their tongues whenever Mom bounces by; except for the number-one seed, a rich kid named Melissa, who wants to be a ballerina but who is being thwarted by her parents.

Melissa and K. C. become friends. They run slow-motion down the beach. Music plays. The sun sets, a blazing orange ball silhouetting our two young friends as they hold hands. More music.

Mom meets a reporter from the Sarasota paper (Frank Converse, of all people), and they have a brief fling that scandalizes the snobs. Melissa's nasty Mom (Jessica Walter, how could you?) accuses K. C. of stealing. Melissa is wrongly busted for cocaine possession. A nasty little girl named Bunny calls K. C. all sorts of bad names and even welshes on a bet.

And all the while you just sit there waiting for them to put on their bikinis and go to the beach. They never do.

SPRING FEVER

Produced by John Bassett, directed by Joseph L. Scanlan, written by Stuart Gillard, photography by Don Wilder, music by Fred Mollin, and distributed by Amulet Pictures; running time, 1 hour, 40 mins.

K. C. - Carling Bassett

Louis - Frank Converse

Mrs. Berryman - Jessica Walter

Melissa - Shawn Foltz

Parents' guide: PG
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 12:05 AM   #74
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

A Documentary on Carling Basett:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_dW9miD3zk'

and of course one of THE most exciting matches of 1983 was the Amelia Island final-Bassett pushing Evert to the very edge of the cliff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g9SkPNWYUU
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 12:17 AM   #75

JAEGER DOGGEDLY CHASING NO. 1 NAVRATILOVA
The Philadelphia Inquirer
Wednesday, April 6, 1983
Steve Goldstein

Andrea Jaeger is having trouble getting her villa cleaned during this week's Family Circle Cup tennis tournament. One look at her 18-month-old Doberman pinscher, Striker, and visitors leave in a hurry.

"He's just a small Doberman," Jaeger said in defense of the fearsome-looking animal. In fact, her parents are planning to take Striker along when Jaeger starts the European segment of the women's tennis tour.

"They don't want him to stay away from me long," Jaeger said, "because he's really sensitive."

Is it true that people choose pets that reflect their own personalities? No one has ever accused Jaeger of not being ferocious enough on the tennis court, but perhaps Striker serves as a not-so-subtle reminder to the 17-year-old from Lincolnshire, Ill., that tenacity is one of her most important assets.

And tenacity is what Jaeger will need this week if she hopes to stop Martina Navratilova from turning women's tennis into woman's tennis.

In the absence of clay-court specialist Chris Evert Lloyd, the second- seeded Jaeger is one of the few players in this $200,000 tournament with a chance to derail the Navratilova express. The Har-Tru surface at the Sea Pines Racquet Club is similar to clay and hardly Navratilova's favorite, but she liked it well enough in beating Jaeger, 6-4, 6-2, in last year's final.

There are others here who could prevnt a rematch. Navratilova has Bettina Bunge, Barbara Potter and Sylvia Hanika in her half of the draw, while Jaeger has to contend with Hana Mandlikova and Tracy Austin. But Jaeger is not intimidated by Navratilova, as some others are.

Jaeger, too, knows what went wrong in 1982 and hopes she gets another chance in Sunday's final, though she would be happy to play almost anyone else.

"I think I have to be a little more patient," she said yesterday after ousting Kerry Reid, 6-2, 6-1, to advance to the third round. "Last year I was really excited that I beat Chris in the semis and I went in the finals thinking, 'I beat Chris in the semis.' She (Navratilova) played well, and I didn't play my usual game."

Jaeger's usual game is to lob you to death, if the surface is slow, or bludgeon you with crisp groundstrokes. She has always been an opportunistic player, as she showed last year in moonballing the usually patient Evert Lloyd and forcing her into countless unforced errors.

Jaeger has rested the sprained ankle that forced her to withdraw from a tournament in Boston three weeks ago and may have contributed to a first-round loss to Billie Jean King in New York the following week.

"Clay's a lot easier on my legs," Jaeger said. "I went to see a doctor, and he said it would take a while for it to get better, but I could keep on playing if I wanted to. He said six to eight weeks, and I'm not going to sit around for six to eight weeks. If it hurts a little on the clay, that's still a lot better than on the carpet (indoors)."

Very little can force Jaeger to sit still. She has played a rigorous schedule since turning pro in 1980 and has moved steadily up the rankings to a firm position as No. 3 in the world.

But she also has not played an entire year without injury, and the toll tennis was taking on her body was one reason she recently considered dropping off the tour and enrolling in college. Jaeger was lured by the prospect of joining her older sister, Suzie, at Stanford. But Jaeger was worried about not liking college and not being able to play varsity tennis while there because she is a pro.

"I can always go back to college," she said, indicating that her family strongly influenced her decision to keep playing. "Once I stop playing tennis, I don't want to go back to playing.

"Besides," she said, "if I'm getting injured while I'm playing full time, what's going to happen when I take off and come back? I'll play one long match and probably be lame for the rest of my life.

"I want to play a year straight when I'm healthy."