1983 - Page 25 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 20th, 2014, 11:49 AM   #361
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1983

HUSKERS' STEINKUHLER WINS OUTLAND AWARD
The Philadelphia Inquirer
Saturday, December 10, 1983
Compiled by The Inquirer Staff

[...]

TENNIS

MELBOURNE, Australia - Martina Navratilova held off a strong second-set battle by Kathy Jordan of King of Prussia, Pa., to win the Australian Open women's singles with a 6-2, 7-6 victory today. Navratilova dominated the first set, but Jordan improved her play in the second set and came back to pose a strong challenge to the tournament's No. 1 seed. Jordan saved two match points to force a tie-breaker and salvaged another four match points before Navratilova's brilliant serve-and-volley game gave her a second Australian Open title in three years as she took the tie-breaker, 7-5. Jordan, seeded ninth, improved her game as she got a bigger percentage of the first serves into play. But she was never able to equal the serving of the world's top women's player, who has lost only one match this year.

[...]
Ms. Anthropic is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 20th, 2014, 11:50 AM   #362

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

WILANDER BEATS LENDL TO EARN $677,500
The Miami Herald
Sunday, December 11, 1983
From Herald Wire Services

Swedish teenager Mats Wilander won the biggest prize in the history of tennis today, earning $677,500 for defeating Ivan Lendl of Czechoslovakia, 6-1, 6-4, 6-4, in the final of the Australian Open.

Wilander won a $600,000 bonus for amassing 3,101 Volvo Grand Prix points, the most by any player this year. He won $77,500 for winning the tournament. Wilander's victory was worth an incredible $6,231 for each of the 112 minutes of today's match.

Lendl earned $100,000 for finishing second with 2,969 Grand Prix points. He won $38,500 for his second-place finish in the tournament.

Wilander, who entered the Australian Open to get experience on grass for when Sweden plays Australia in Melbourne in the Davis Cup final later this month, said he was surprised by his victory.

"It feels good. Nobody expected me to win on grass, but neither did I," Wilander said. "But I won, so I'm happy for that."

It was the third time that Lendl, ranked No. 1 in the world on the Atari-ATP computer, has reached the final of a Grand Slam event, only to lose. He lost to Jimmy Connors in the final of the U.S. Open in both 1982 and 1983.

For Wilander, it was his second Grand Slam title. He became the youngest Grand Slam men's singles winner in 1982 when he won the French Open. In this year's French Open, the world's premier clay-court event, he lost in the final to Yannick Noah of France.

It also was Wilander's first major title on grass, a surface usually dominated by serve-and-volley players, not baseliners like the Swede. But Wilander had advanced to the final by upsetting the tournament's No. 2 seed, John McEnroe, who earlier this year won Wimbledon, which also is played on grass.

Lendl appeared to lose interest in the match at times and jokingly offered to concede early in the third set after Wilander had beaten him with a superb passing shot.

Lendl tried to fight back after getting just three serves into play in the first set and suffering through long baseline rallies against Wilander.

Lendl, who will be the top-seeded player in the Ilie Nastase/Hamptons Invitational at The Hamptons in North Miami Beach this week, had been suffering from a viral infection during the tournament and showed signs of lethargy during the match.

Lendl said before the game that Wilander, 19, was doing surprisingly well on grass and would be hard to beat.

"I am very surprised and impressed with him," Lendl said.

It was the first time in the 78-year history of the Grand Slam event that two Europeans had met in the final.
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 11:50 AM   #363

AUSSIE GRASS COURTS LEAVE WILANDER GREENER
Philadelphia Daily News
Monday, December 12, 1983
United Press International

Forget baseball and basketball. Buy your son a tennis racket for Christmas.

That's where the big money is these days . . . even for teenagers.

Sweden's Mats Wilander proved that yesterday when he upset the world's top- ranked player, Ivan Lendl, 6-1, 6-4, 6-4, to win the Australian Open singles title.

Wilander earned $77,500 for winning his first grand slam crown and took home an additional $600,000 for capturing the Grand Prix bonus pool.

Lendl, who led the Grand Prix bonus pool before yesterday's match, won $38,500 for finishing second in the Open and an additional $400,000 for taking second place in the bonus scheme.

It was Lendl's fourth loss in a Grand Slam final in three years.

In 1981 he lost the French title to Sweden's Bjorn Borg and he lost the U.S. final to Jimmy Connors in 1982 and 1983.

"It never entered my mind that Mats could win the tournament here. He deserved to win," Lendl said.

"I was trying to change tactics. That was my problem. I couldn't find one strategy that could work. I was trying to come in on my serve. I was trying to come in early. I was trying to come in immediately on his serve - hit hard, hit soft and to every approach but he got used to it after a while and started winning his points.

"I came here with a fixed idea that (John) McEnroe was the one I had to worry about but Wilander played too well."

Wilander said his return of service and Lendl's poor first service were the keys to victory.

"His second service is not the best on grass because it bounces very high and it's pretty easy to hit returns off it," Wilander said. "I was not very confident before the match but I was very relaxed because I didn't come here to win the tournament.

"I really didn't expect to make the finals."

Lendl's big weapon is his fierce first service and it let him down badly in the final.

He made only 41 first deliveries in the match and averaged 37 percent in his first deal.

It totally deserted him in the first set and he allowed Wilander the leisure of attacking his second ball when he put only four first services into the court. That set determined the match.

Both players delighted the 12,000 fans with some great baseline rallies during a tense match played in muggy conditions under a blistering sun. The weather was so hot and muggy that 23 persons were treated for heat exhaustion.

It was the first time in the 78-year history of the Grand Slam event that two Europeans had played the final and Wilander became the second European to win the Australian championship since Frenchman Jean Borotra in 1928.

Australian Davis Cup selectors went into a huddle after they saw the amiable Swede carve up Lendl.

Wilander will lead Sweden's challenge for the big silver bowl on these courts Dec. 26.

Wilander entered the Australian nationals basically to get grass court practice for the Davis Cup challenge.

But for a man who disliked the speedy grass surface Wilander certainly didn't show it.

On Saturday, Martina Navratilova won her second Australian Open women's title by defeating American Kathy Jordan, 6-2, 7-6.

Navratilova continued the European dominance of the championships when she teamed with Pam Shriver to defeat Anne Hobbs of England and Wendy Turnbull of Australia, 6-4, 6-7, 6-2, yesterday to win the women's doubles event.

It was the third time Navratilova has won the Australian doubles title.

Shriver and Navratilova, who have won the Wimbledon, the U.S., and now the Australian championships, earned $30,000 between them.

Turnbull and Hobbs shared the $16,000 second prize.

Sweden won yet another title when its brilliant Stefan Edberg swept aside one of Australia's top teenage prospects, Simon Youl, 6-4, 6-4, to pull off the second ever Grand Slam in junior tennis. The first was by American Butch Buchholz in 1958.

Australians Mark Edmondson and Paul McNamee won the doubles Saturday, scoring straight set victories over Steve Denton and Sherwood Stewart of the U.S.
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 11:51 AM   #364

WOMEN OK A HISTORIC 5-SET MATCH
The Miami Herald
Wednesday, December 7, 1983
ASSOCIATED PRESS

The Virginia Slims championship final at Madison Square Garden at New York in March will see the first best-of-five-sets match in a women's tennis tournament since 1890.

Ann Jones, chairperson of the Women's International Professional Council, said at the Australian Open Tuesday that an earlier decision taken by the Women's Tennis Association to experiment with a five-setter was approved.

The idea was put forward by Philip Morris, Inc., sponsors of the women's professional circuit, and will be tried in the New York tournament, which comprises the top 16 women players based on computer rankings at the end of the year.

Jerry Diamond, the executive director of WTA, said spectators were being shortchanged at women's tennis events.

"Most of the major sports that are successful are two to three hours in duration," said Diamond. "The proficiency in the women tennis players over the last five years has got the time of women's two-of-three-set matches to an hour, an hour and 20 minutes. The game is way out of synch with what the normal spectator expects in a sporting event."

Jones stressed that there were no plans to introduce the five set format at other tournaments in 1984.

"It could not work, it could be a very good thing," she said. "I think we have to wait and see."

Dutch player Marcella Mesker, who is a director of the women's association, said players were divided on the plan.
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 02:37 PM   #365

HANIKA, DURIE POST AUSSIE OPEN WINS
Philadelphia Daily News
Friday, December 2, 1983

Sylvia Hanika, of West Germany, routed American Beth Norton in straight sets today in the first round of the $1 million Australian Open Tennis Championships.

Hanika, the No. 2 seed in the 64-women field, won 6-1, 6-3 in 58 minutes on the Kooyong center court, which still showed the effects of the heavy rains.

It was little more than a workout for Hanika, who is seeded to meet No. 1 Martina Navratilova.

"I have beaten Martina twice and I don't care what they say about her, so when I play my match I don't think about who I'm playing," she said. "I just try to play my own game."

England's Jo Durie overcame a severe cold and a muddy court to sweep into the second round after defeating American Shirley Acker, 6-3, 7-6, on an outside court. Durie has lost only one match on her three tournament tours in Australia.

She served strongly and moved tentatively around the court.

"I've seen a doctor and I'm taking some medication for a cold and I was not comfortable out there," she said. "But I lasted.

"It is muddy down the middle of the No. 1 court so the balls got filthy after a couple of games and once or twice I pushed off and my foot just twisted in the mud so it was quite difficult."

Durie's second-round opponent is yet to be determined as officials continued to be hampered by wet courts in trying to get the tournament back on schedule.

Tournament organizer Colin Stubs scheduled an astounding 42 matches for today in an effort to break the backlog.

In yesterday's key matches, Roscoe Tanner defeated Australian Kim Warwick, 7-6, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3, and Australian Mark Edmondson beat Californian Buzz Strode, 6-3, 7-5, 4-6, 7-5;

Tanner showed the meager crowd of 2,000 a new style of tennis in whipping Warwick, the 1980 losing finalist. Ironically, it was a serious arm injury in late February that suddenly brought Tanner's career into a new perspective. He was told that a bone chip had broken away on his left elbow, but surgery was ruled out.

"I was out for 12 weeks and it is now almost completely healed but I take anti-inflammatory tablets before I play."
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 02:39 PM   #366

Hanika ousted in quarterfinals
The San Diego Union
Tuesday, December 6, 1983
From Union News Services

Ninth-seeded Kathy Jordan upset No. 2 Sylvia Hanika of West Germany 7-6, 7-5 today in the quarterfinals of the $400,000 Australian Open tennis tournament.

Jordan trailed Hanika 0-4 in the first set before staging a dogged fight that led to the comeback.

Hanika's timing deserted her and she began to hit short backhands during the baseline rallies. Jordan seized on every short ball to strike deep approach shots and come to the net where her height enabled her to cover hanika's topspin lobs.

The match was interrupted at 5-5 in the second set when both players complained that light rain was making the court too slippery.

Hanika, who had not dropped a set in the tournament before meeting Jordan, had been favored to meet top-seeded Martina Navratilova in the finals this weekend.

Men's top seed Ivan Lendl, who reportedly had been passing blood in his urine, today was cleared of any serious medical problem.

Lendl called for a urologist immediately after beating Pat Cash 7-6, 6-3, 6-3 yesterday in the fourth round. During the contest Lendl left the court twice and did not sit down during the 138-minute match.

The doctor examined Lendl immediately after the match and sent samples to be analyzed overnight. The doctor said Lendl was suffering from a severe chill in the kidneys and had a slight muscular problem.

Lendl is due to meet countryman Tomas Smid in a quarterfinal match tomorrow. Yesterday, Smid struggled past Australian John Fitzgerald 7-5, 3-6, 6-4, 6-2 in a third-round match.

Johan Kriek, the defending champion, defeated Britain's John Lloyd 6-4, 6-3, 7-6 and in the quarterfinals will meet Sweden's Mats Wilander, who beat Australian Paul McNamee 6-4, 6-2, 7-6.

Wally Masur, a rookie pro from Australia, is scheduled to meet No. 2 John McEnroe, who is playing in his first Australian Open. McEnroe used his typical baseline style in defeating Australian Paul McNamee 6-4, 6-2, 7-6.

The fourth men's quarterfinal will be between Eliot Teltscher, who downed fellow-American Rick Meyer 6-4, 7-6, 6-4 yesterday, and an undetermined opponent.

In women's play yesterday, Navratilova blitzed South African Rosalyn Fairbank 6-2, 6-2 in the third round to set up a meeting with Britain's red-hot Jo Durie in the quarterfinals. Durie beat Barbara Potter in the third round.

Navratilova hasn't dropped a set in the tournament so far, but neither has Durie. The Briton is fresh off a victory over Jordan in the final of the NSW Open in Sydney late last month.

No. 4 seed Wendy Turnbull of Australia is to meet No. 6 Zina Garrison of the United States in the third quarterfinal. Turnbull stopped West Germany's Claudia Kohde 7-6, 6-4. Garrison earlier had overcome Eva Pfaff of West Germany.

No. 3 Pam Shriver meets No. 12 Carling Bassett of Canada in the round of eight. Bassett, 16, beat Sharon Walsh of United States 7-6, 6-4.
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 02:40 PM   #367

NAVRATILOVA STALKS OUT
The Philadelphia Inquirer
Wednesday, December 7, 1983
Compiled by The Inquirer Staff

MELBOURNE, Australia - Top-seeded Martina Navratilova, who had pleaded with the referee to halt play in heavy rain, stormed off the court yesterday after losing the first set of her quarterfinal match against Britain's Jo Durie at the $400,000 Australian Open Tennis Championships.

After the angry Navratilova left the court, referee Paul Bellenger ordered play to be stopped. The match was scheduled to continue today.

Navratilova , the Wimbledon and U.S. champion who has only lost one match in 1983, trailed 4-5 in the set when she appealed to Bellenger to stop play because of bad light and rain. Bellenger refused her request, and Durie won the next game, marking the first set Navratilova has lost since Aug. 21 and prompting her heated exit.

In a men's quarterfinal match, third-seeded Mats Wilander of Sweden ousted two-time defending champion Johan Kriek, 6-3, 6-4, 7-6.
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 02:42 PM   #368

FRANCE REACTS TO NOAH'S PLIGHT
Philadelphia Daily News
Friday, December 9, 1983

Athletes, psychologists and sports writers yesterday reacted with surprise, tempered with sympathy, to Yannick Noah's news conference earlier this week at which the French tennis star admitted he had contemplated suicide.

Noah, who recently announced he intended to move to the United States
because he was unhappy with the media attention he was receiving in France, told reporters Tuesday he was frequently despondent.

"I'm going to New York because I'm just fed up to the teeth and my life just makes me sick," Noah said. "I've walked around Paris at night, crying like an idiot, stood on the Alma bridge (over the Seine River) and asked myself, 'Do I jump or not?' "

Sports psychologist Christine Lahana, writing in the French sports daily L'Equipe, said Noah, 23, probably had bared his troubles to the press to change his relationship with those responsible for making him famous.

"What is particularly interesting in his case is that his stress is proportional to the extremely heavy pressure to which he is subjected and the relative rareness of champions of his stature in France," she said. "In a way, this sort of problem could only have happened to him."

L'Equipe columnist Andre Halphen responded by naming several stars, who, in his opinion, had "cracked" under the strain of heavy competition. He included tennis players Bjorn Borg and Martina Navratilova, track star Bob Beamon and cyclist Eddy Mercx.

Jean-Paul Loth, technical director of the French Tennis Federation, exhorted Noah, this year's French Open champion, to dismiss his detractors and make full use of his potential.