1983 - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 10th, 2013, 12:27 AM   #16
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1983

From the Avon Cup on Marco Island, FL.

THIS OLD LADY IS TENNIS' KING
The Miami Herald
Tuesday, January 11, 1983
JIM MARTZ

The Grand Old Lady of tennis, as Billie Jean King calls herself, probably has retired as many times as Muhammad Ali.

But nothing seems to KO her. Not five knee operations nor one on an ankle. Not age (she'll turn 40 this year). And not hostile reaction to Marilyn Barnett's "galimony" suit against her resulting from their admitted affair.

People scoffed when King entered the singles draw at Wimbledon last summer. Wouldn't her bones creak too much? Why couldn't she retire "with dignity" as she had promised back in 1975?

Yet, King conquered players young enough to be her daughter en route to reaching Wimbledon's semifinals, losing to Chris Evert Lloyd. The Old Lady taught those whippersnappers a thing or two about court savvy and determination.

But was that her last hurrah? Will she finally hang up her racquet, at least in singles play? And what will life after tennis be like for the woman who generally is regarded as being the most influential person in bringing tennis out of the country clubs and to the masses?

"I'd like to do some other things in life, though I'm sure it will be related to tennis," King said at the Tennis Industry's National Buying Show that ends today at the Miami Beach Convention Center. "I've thought all year about what I should do.

"I'd like to get into motivation, probably through lectures and books. I talked to coaches, athletes and teachers about motivation at Minneapolis last year and really enjoyed it.

"I've also thought about having a baby. But maybe I'm too old. At 39 you get a little nervous. Maybe I'll adopt."

King will adopt a wait-and-see attitude concerning her future on the court. She'll continue to play singles, at least through Wimbledon. She'll compete in the $100,000 Avon Cup at Marco Island, Fla., beginning Monday, but will pass up the Murjani Cup at Palm Beach Gardens the following week "because I haven't had a vacation."

She'll also play in four or five tournaments on the newly created over-30 women's circuit. ("It should be over-35 because I'm 39," she joked). And she'll compete in Team Tennis, the league her husband Larry heads.

"Then I'll re-evaluate things in August," she said.

King, who has won six singles titles and a record 20 over- all titles at Wimbledon, wants to win another. "I'd like to win mixed doubles, if I can find a partner," she said. "I still think I'm good enough."

What about more television commentary as she has done occasionally for NBC?

"I'm not sure," she said. "Everybody has been nice to me, but I'm not sure if it's really for me. Maybe it's too inactive for me. If I were a producer or director, it would be more meaningful. Or if I was a super commentator like Bud Collins or Dick Enberg. I'd rather be in the background creating."

Billie Jean always has been creating. She helped found the Women's Sports Foundation, was the first woman to coach a coed team in professional sports when she took over the Philadelphia Freedoms of World Team Tennis in 1974, and helped launch the magazine Women's Sports.

How about politics? How about Billie Jean for senator?

"If I felt I could be really effective, I'd be interested," she replied. "I wouldn't be in it just for winning votes. But I'd probably want to be in the background."

She paused for a moment, then said, "Maybe I could motivate the country -- like a prime minister."

King says only a small percentage of people have reacted negatively against her since Barnett's lawsuit in the summer of 1981. The damage mainly has been financial. She says her business managers estimate she has lost at least $1.5 million in potential income.

"Yonex rackets (which she represented at the equipment show) and Nike are the only two to stay by me," she said.

The first firm to sign her since the suit is the Terraces of Turnberry, a development in North Miami Beach in which she is buying a condominium. Her coach, Owen Davidson, also is buying there.

"I thought, after Wimbledon, I would get at least one phone call (of a business nature)," King said, "but I got nothing."

A visitor to the equipment show asked her if she thought that was unfair.

"That's life," King said. "You learn about people. But I think things will start changing."
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 10th, 2013, 12:28 AM   #17

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

FULL HOUSE GREETS AVON TOURNAMENT
The Miami Herald
Tuesday, January 25, 1983
JEFF LEEN

With capacity crowds and seesaw matches, the $100,000 Avon Cup tournament got off to a booming start Monday at Marriott's Marco Beach Resort.

In the tournament's main draw, Diane Fromholtz of Australia, a relative veteran of the women's professional tour at 26, pulled the biggest upset of the day with a 6-4, 6-1 victory over eighth-seeded Yvonne Vermaak of South Africa.

In other opening-day matches, Kathy Jordan of the United States downed fellow American Alycia Moulton 3-6, 6-1, 6-4; Duk Hee Lee of South Korea beat American Barbara Jordan 6-2, 2-6, 6-2; Catherine Tanvier of France defeated Wendy White of the United States 0-6, 6-1, 6-3; and Leigh Thompson of the United States edged fellow American Pam Teeguarden 7-6 (7-5), 6-4.

In the qualifying matches, which will allow eight players to move into the main draw, Sally Solomon upset second-seeded Julie Harrington 2-6, 6-4, 6-3. Solomon, sister of men's professional tennis star Harold Solomon, is from Fort Lauderdale.

Susan Flickinger, director of public relations at the resort, said about 700 persons watched the afternoon matches Monday and all 1,600 stadium-court seats were sold out for the evening matches.

The 2,300 seats sold on the tournament's first day of main-draw matches nearly equaled the 3,000 seats sold during the entire $100,000 Pinch Scotch Invitational held on the island last month. The Pinch Scotch tournament featured a 16-man field of 35-and-over men tennis professionals.

"I think that maybe there was a little bit more publicity," at the Avon tournament, Flickinger said. "There was certainly a lot more community support for this one."

Flickinger also cited the promotional involvement by the players. Billie Jean King held a press conference two weeks before the tournament, Evonne Goolagong meet the press after warming up on the resort's courts last week, and several players gave telephone interviews.

In addition, Flickinger said young, up-and-coming female tennis players such as 15-year-old Kathy Rinaldi and 17-year-old Andrea Jaeger were proving their drawing power.

"The people like to watch a lot of the youth of today play," Flickinger said. "Especially, the 16-year-olds."

Flickinger said the evening matches on Thursday and Sunday were also sold out, and Saturday's evening matches were headed for a sell out.
Old Jan 10th, 2013, 12:29 AM   #18

JAEGER ROMPS IN AVON
The Miami Herald
Friday, January 28, 1983
From Herald Wire Services

Top-seeded Andrea Jaeger easily disposed of JoAnne Russell, 6-3, 6-1, Thursday in third-round play of the $100,000 Avon Cup tennis tournament at Marco Island, Fla.

"She outsteadied me, no doubt about that," Russell said after the match. "My game plan, which failed, was to bring her to the net. I'm just not patient enough for this kind of game."

In other matches, 15-year-old Michelle Torres eliminated Lee Antonoplis, 6-1, 6-1. In earlier play, Torres had upset No. 2 seed Wendy Turnbull, 6-1, 6-1.

Virginia Ruzici defeated Helena Sukova, 7-5, 6-0; Hana Mandlikova beat Camille Benjamin, 6-1, 6-4; Zina Garrison topped Marcella Mesker, 6-2, 6-4; Dianne Fromholtz whipped Susan Mascarin, 6-4, 6-2; Andrea Temesvari downed Terry Phelps, 6-4, 6-4, and Kathy Rinaldi of Jensen Beach, Fla., ousted Leigh Thompson, 6-2, 6-0.

More tennis

Swedish star Mats Wilander demolished Ramesh Krisnhan, 6-1, 6-1, to gain the semifinals of the $255,000 Guaruja (Brazil) Grand Prix. Top seed Jose-Luis Clerc of Argentina defeated Francisco Gonzalez of Paraguay, 6-4, 6-4; Belgian Bernard
Boileau upset third-seeded Andres Gomez of Ecuador, 7-5, 6-1, and fourth-seeded Tomas Smid of Czechoslovakia stopped Pat Dupre of the U.S., 6-2, 6-2, in other quarterfinals.

Boxing

World Boxing Association featherweight champ Eusebio Pedroza will defend his title for the 16th time when he meets No. 1 contender Rocky Lockridge March 5 in a nationally televised 15- round bout at the Showboat Hotel in Las Vegas. Pedroza, who turns 30 two days before the fight, has a 34-3-1 record. Lockridge, 28, of Paterson, N.J., is 28-2 ... Scott Frank of Oakland, N.J., scored a 10-round unanimous decision over Steve Zouski, Brockton, Mass., in a heavyweight bout Wednesday night in Totowa, N.J., boosting his record to 19-0-1 with 14 knockouts.

Other sports

The Tampa Bay Bandits of the United States Football League signed Florida State tailback Ricky Williams and continued their pursuit of All-America offensive tackle Jimbo Covert of Pitt, their first-round draft pick. Covert met with Bugsy Engleberg, director of football operations for the Bandits but said he might hold off until after the NFL draft in April before making a decision on which league he will join ... Swiss skiing ace Peter Mueller is recovering in a Sarejevo, Yugoslavia, hospital after suffering a concussion and a kidney injury during a downhill practice run Wednesday.
Old Jan 10th, 2013, 12:30 AM   #19

BATTLE OF 15-YEAR-OLDS: TORRES UPSETS RINALDI
The Miami Herald
Saturday, January 29, 1983
From Herald Wire Services

In a match of 15-year-olds, unseeded Michelle Torres upset eighth-seeded Kathy Rinaldi, 3-6, 7-5, 6-4, Friday to reach today's semifinals of the $100,000 Avon Cup tennis tournament in Marco Island, Fla.

Torres, who knocked off second-seeded Wendy Turnbull in the first round, reached the semifinals of a tournament for the first time in her professional career.

"This is the toughest she [Torres] has ever played," said Rinaldi, who had experience against Torres in junior tennis tournaments.

In other matches Friday, top-seeded Andrea Jaeger coasted by Dianne Fromholtz, 6-4, 6-2, Hana Mandlikova topped Zina Garrison, 6-3, 6-4, and Andrea Temesvari edged Virgina Ruzici, 6-3, 6-2. Jaeger will play Torres and Mandlikova will meet Temesvari in today's semifinals.

Chris Evert Lloyd, Andrea Jaeger, Wendy Tunrbull, Hana Mandlikova, Virginia Ruzici, Zina Garrison, Kathy Rinaldi and Rosalyn Fairbank were named the top eight seeds, in order, for the Murjani Cup women's tournament, which will begin Monday at PGA National in Palm Beach Gardens.

Seeds nine through 14 will be Evonne Goolagong Cawley, Andrea Leand, Kathy Jordan, Leslie Allen, JoAnne Russell and Catherine Tanvier. Goolagong will play Rosie Casals Monday afternoon, and Mandlikova will play Monday evening against an opponent to be determined. All of the other seeds will begin play Tuesday. Qualifiers will play today and Sunday at 10 a.m.

Jimmy Connors, on the strength of his victories in Wimbledon and the U.S. Open, was ranked No. 1 in the world for 1982 by World Tennis Magazine despite a season-ending loss to Ivan Lendl. Lendl was ranked second, with John McEnroe third ... Jose-Luis Clerc and Mats Wilander won advanced to the final of a $255,000 men's tournament in Guaruja, Brazil. Clerc defeated Bernard Boileau, 6-1, 6-2, and Wilander beat Tomas Smid, 6-1, 6-4. Clerc will meet Wilander today, with $36,000 going to the winner and $18,000 to the runnerup.
Old Jan 10th, 2013, 12:31 AM   #20

AT MARCO, DIFFERENT STROKES FOR TWO DIFFERENT ANDREAS
The Miami Herald
Sunday, January 30, 1983
JEFF LEEN

The opening semifinal at the $100,000 Avon Cup tournament here was a battle between Andreas -- two blond, high-school-age girls with two-handed backhands and two vastly different games.

The better Andrea turned out to be Andrea Jaeger, the 17-year-old from Lincolnshire, Ill., who is ranked No. 3 in the world.

Relying on the baseline game that has allowed her to beat Chris Evert-Lloyd on clay, Jaeger outsteadied Andrea Temesvari, a 16-year-old Hungarian, 6-3, 6-2. The match took 87 minutes on the Har-Tru surface at the Marriott's Marco Beach Resort.

Temesvari had upset fourth-seeded Virginia Ruzici of Romania 6-3, 6-2, to earn the right to play Jaeger, the tournament's first seed.

"She's very steady," Temesvari said after the match. "Against her, you have to hit balls and go to the net."

Temesvari sliced backhands and swatted sharply angled forehands but she could not come up with the approach shots to successfully gain the net against Jaeger, who was content for most of the match to sit back and let Temesvari miss.

In the first set, each Andrea held her opening serve and the early games consisted mainly of long rallies pitting two-handed backhand against two-handed backhand.

Jaeger went up 4-2 in the first set when Temesvari lost her
serve on a double fault, and from that point on it was all Jaeger.

As she fell behind, Temesvari began going for the lines and missing, while Jaeger hit looping "moon balls" at her.

The pattern continued into the second set, where Jaeger broke Temesvari's serve to take a 2-1 lead. Temesvari held serve one more time, but Jaeger won the last three games and ran out the match.

Afterward, Temesvari, who has made the quantum leap from No. 146 in the tennis world to No. 34 in the space of a year, contrasted the playing styles of the Jaeger-generation of American players and the Temesvari-generation of European players.

"Every European, I think they want to go in to the net," Temesvari said. "They serve, rally, slice, dropshot and try to go in. They have more variety. In America, they're very steady. They do the same thing 20 times."

Temesvari, who is 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighs 125 pounds, said she is already a recognizable figure on the streets of Hungary.

"I'm famous, yeah," she said when asked.

For Jaeger, the match seemed to be business as usual in her drive up the mountain of computer rankings.

"I'm a defensive player," Jaeger said after the match. "Although my game is basically the same, I play a little differently against each player. If someone wants to stay back, I'll stay back with them. I feel pretty confident with my clay- court game. If someone attacks, I can attack. But in the matches I've played here, I haven't had to. Basically, I just waited [against Temesvari]."

Jaeger described her game as an "all-around type game. I don't have anything that stands out nor do I have any big weaknesses."

She said if anything stood out for her right now, it was her mental attitude, which she displayed when she was asked if she wanted to be number one. Noting the absence of Martina Navratilova and Evert-Lloyd, Jaeger said she didn't think she should talk about being number one without having the opportunity to prove it.

"If you're going to talk," she said. "You might as well do it with your racquet."

In today's final, Jaeger will play Hana Mandlikova of Czechoslovakia, who beat Michelle Torres of the United States, 6-4, 6-4, later Saturday.
Old Jan 10th, 2013, 12:32 AM   #21

JAEGER TOPS MANDLIKOVA IN AVON FINAL
The Miami Herald
Monday, January 31, 1983
JIM MARTZ

The shrill sound of a burglar alarm going off accidentally in the Mercedes parked across the street may have been what awakened Hana Mandlikova in the second set of Sunday's Avon Cup final with Andrea Jaeger.

Or maybe the second-seeded Mandlikova was fed up with making unforced errors and decided to play up to her considerable potential. Whatever, the 20-year-old Czechoslovakian rallied from a 3-1 deficit to tie at 3-3, then had two break points on the top-seeded Jaeger.

But Mandlikova lost form again, hitting two backhands long, a lob long and a backhand into the net to allow Jaeger to hold serve. Jaeger then regained command to capture the championship, 6-1, 6-3, before a capacity crowd of 2,204 at Marriott's Marco Beach Resort.

It was the first championship for the 17-year-old Jaeger since she won an Avon tournament in Oakland, Calif., last February. Already the youngest player ever to earn $1 million on the tour, she pocketed $18,000.

Jaeger picked up another $3,000 later in the day when she teamed with Mary Lou Piatek to win the doubles final, 7-6, 6-4, over top-seeded Rosie Casals and Wendy Turnbull.

In the singles final, which lasted only one hour and nine minutes, Jaeger's steady groundstrokes kept Mandlikova pinned to the baseline for much of the match. When Mandlikova did venture to the net, Jaeger often passed her with shots deep to the corner or with lobs floating just inside the baseline.

"I figured I had to make her stay back and not serve and volley and hit a lot of service winners," said Jaeger. "For my first match on clay in a long time, I was really pleased with the way I was playing. The first time I ever played Hana on clay [1980], she wiped me off the court, 6-0, 6-3."

As balmy breezes blew in from the Gulf of Mexico a block away, Jaeger did the wiping Sunday afternoon. But Mandlikova contributed to her own downfall with numerous unforced errors, usually at crucial points.

"I think I was missing many, many balls," Mandlikova said in an understatement. "It looked like I had a chance at 3-3 in the second set, but I just played badly."

That seems to be the story of Mandlikova's life. Showing a repertoire of shots in the mold of Czech native Martina Navratilova, she rose to world's No. 5 ranking in 1981. But instead of reaching the top three as predicted last year, she dropped to No. 9.

She suffered several embarrassing early-round losses and also was hampered by a nagging back injury. Mandlikova, who owns a home at Boca West in Boca Raton, would look like a world- beater one day and Raggedy Ann the next.

"She's a streaky player," said Jaeger, who is now 5-5 lifetime against Mandlikova. "She plays well or poorly. In one game, she'll have three great shots and go up, 40-0, then lose the game.

"She has so much talent, but maybe it's not good to have so much. On a short ball, she can hit five different ways, but maybe she doesn't know which one to use."

Mandlikova doesn't dispute that. She figures it's just going to take longer for her to refine her talents than it would, say, a baseline player like Jaeger.

"I like the way I have my game," Mandlikova said. "It takes a little longer to develop, like Martina's game. I still have time. People like my style of play, and I do, too. I don't have to stay on the court three or four hours."

Both players are entered in the $150,000 Murjani Cup, also on clay, that begins today at Palm Beach Gardens.

"I hope I don't have to play Andrea until the semifinals or final," said Mandlikova. "She plays her best on clay. She has more time to prepare for every ball. If she's on grass or a faster surface, she doesn't have as much time for her big swing."

Jaeger, a senior at Adlai Stevenson High in the Chicago suburbs, is ranked third on the Women's Tennis Association computer behind Navratilova and Chris Evert Lloyd. Navratilova is not entered at Palm Beach Gardens, though she was in town Sunday for meetings of the WTA, of which she is president.

Evert is entered at Palm Beach Gardens and is top-seeded. Jaeger and Evert, who waged a fierce rivalry last year, could meet in this week's final. Jaeger upended her three times early last year, including a 6-0, 6-3 victory in the French Open semifinals.

But Evert struck back to win the last four meetings, including a 6-1, 6-0 verdict in the Australian semifinals. Jaeger says, however, that knocking off Evert is not necessarily one of her goals.

"I haven't really set any goals for this year," said Jaeger, who is looking for her first Grand Slam title (Wimbledon, U.S. Open, French Open and Australian Open). "I will play a lot of tourneys. But after next week, I'll go back and try to finish high school [where she's an A student]."
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 01:37 AM   #22

MANDLIKOVA, JAEGER TOP 'KIDDIE' OPPONENTS
The Miami Herald
Sunday, January 30, 1983
JIM MARTZ

Welcome to the Kiddie Corps Open -- alias the $100,000 Avon Tennis Cup women's tournament -- in which 20-year-old Hana Mandlikova was the old lady of Saturday's semifinals.

If a driver's license were required for entry in this tournament, officials would have had trouble filling out the 56- player draw. Two unseeded teenagers advanced to the semifinals, leaving veterans and other members of the Kiddie Corps in their wake.

Saturday afternoon, top-seeded Andrea Jaeger, 17, defeated 16-year-old Hungarian Andrea Temesvari, 6-3, 6-2, before 2,117 spectators at the Marriott Marco Beach Resort. Saturday night before another 2,100, third-seeded Mandlikova edged 15-year-old Michelle Torres of Northbrook, Ill., 6-4, 6-4.

Jaeger, from Lincolnshire, Ill., and Mandlikova will meet in today's 1 p.m. final, with the winner earning $18,000 and gaining momentum heading into this week's Murjani Cup at Palm Beach Gardens.

Asked how it felt to be the oldest player in the semifinals, Mandlikova grimaced and said, "I don't think I'm old. I've got 10 more years left."

But she said she welcomes the addition of more teenage phenoms on the circuit. "It's very good for tennis," said Mandlikova, who won the French Open at age 19 in 1981. "It's a change for the future."

Temesvari, ranked 34th on the Women's Tennis Association computer, knocked off Laura Arraya, 17, and fourth-seeded Virginia Ruzici en route to Saturday's match with Jaeger. Torres, an amateur whose first tennis lesson was given to her by Jaeger's father six years ago, knocked off second-seeded Wendy Turnbull and 15-year-old Kathy Rinaldi, who was seeded eighth, to reach the semifinals.

Because Martina Navratilova, Chris Evert Lloyd and Tracy Austin aren't entered here, Jaeger inherited the role as the player to beat. She said the added pressure doesn't bother her, though.

"I'm sure a lot of people are expecting me to win," she said. "And I'm pretty comfortable with my clay-court game right now.

"I always go into a tournament expecting to win, but I'm not going to go all over the place talking about it. If you're going to talk, you might as well talk with your racquet."

That's what Jaeger did as she gave Temesvari a lesson in clay-court patience, moon balls and stamina.

The Mandlikova-Torres match featured 14 service breaks in 20 games. After Mandlikova squandered a match point at 5-3 and double-faulted to lose service, she broke Torres to win the match.

Mandlikova has a 5-4 career record over Jaeger. They have not met since Jaeger won, 6-1, 6-3, in the Citizen Cup last spring at Palm Beach Gardens.

"She plays every match the same," Mandlikova said. "Everything depends on me, not on her. It's very important how I serve. If I serve well, I'm going to beat her; if I don't, it will be very difficult."

In the doubles semifinals, Jaeger and Mary Lou Piatek beat Kathy Jordan and Paula Smith, 6-1, 1-6, 7-6, and Rosie Casals and Turnbull beat Yvonne Vrmaak and Kathy Horvach, 7-5, 6-2.
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 01:39 AM   #23

Murjani Cup.

EVERT TO FACE FORMIDABLE CHALLENGE IN '83 DEBUT
The Miami Herald
Sunday, January 30, 1983
JIM MARTZ

In commercials plugging the $150,000 Murjani Cup women's tennis tournament beginning Monday in Palm Beach Gardens, Chris Evert Lloyd says that 17 of the top 20 players will be competing.

That statement is inaccurate, although Evert was only reading cue cards written by tournament officials. Five of the top 10 players in the Women's Tennis Association computer rankings are not entered.

"When we got the original list from the WTA, it had 17 of the top 20," said Janice Brown, assistant tournament director. "But there were several changes, and it was hard to change the ads to reflect them."

Nevertheless, a formidable field awaits Evert in her first tournament of 1983 as she attempts to regain the No. 1 ranking she lost to Martina Navratilova in 1982.

Navratilova will not compete at Palm Beach Gardens. Neither are No. 4 Tracy Austin, No. 6 Pam Shriver, No. 8 Barbara Potter or No. 9 Bettina Bunge. But the 56-player field does include third-ranked Andrea Jaeger, fifth-ranked Wendy Turnbull, seventh-ranked Hana Mandlikova and 10th-ranked Sylvia Hanika, in addition to Evert.

Other notable entries include two-time Wimbledon champion Evonne Goolagong Cawley; Kathy Rinaldi of nearby Jensen Beach, Fla.; Virginia Ruzici, Ann Smith and Zina Garrison.

For several years, the women's tour traditionally has played indoors from January to April. But this year, it's making two outdoor stops on clay courts in Florida, the $100,000 Avon Cup this past week at Marco Island and the Murjani Cup.

"I think it's a nice change, and I think a lot of the players will enjoy it," said Evert.

Ruzici, winner of the 1982 U.S. Clay Court title, added, "I think it's good for us to have a choice and to get to play on clay for a change before April."

Evert has been skipping most or all of the winter circuit in recent years to recharge her batteries and travel to tournaments with her husband John, who plays on the men's circuit. But she's eager to reach peak form in time for the French Open and Wimbledon tournaments, her main goals this year.

In last year's French Open, Evert suffered her worst loss ever on clay, 6-0, 6-3, to Jaeger in the semifinals. She dropped the Wimbledon final to Navratilova in three sets.

The Murjani Cup will be the second of four women's tournaments in southern Florida this year. The second annual Citizen Cup, a four-player event offering $250,000 in prize money, will be played April 2-3, also at PGA National. And the $125,000 Lynda Carter/Maybelline Classic will return to Deer Creek in Deerfield Beach Nov. 7-13.

Evert already is entered in the Citizen Cup, and invitations are being extended to Navratilova, Jaeger and Austin.

"I'll play all the South Florida tournaments," said Evert, a native of Fort Lauderdale who now calls Amelia Island, Fla., home. "If they arrange it, I'll be there."

MURJANI CUP AT A GLANCE 98

What -- $150,000 Murjani Cup women's tournament.

Where -- PGA National Resort at Palm Beach Gardens (three miles west of I-95 on PGA Boulevard).

Field -- 56-player main draw headed by Chris Evert Lloyd, Andrea Jaeger, Wendy Turnbull, Virginia Ruzici, Evonne Goolagong Cawley and Kathy Rinaldi.

Schedule -- Today: qualifying matches, 10 a.m.; Monday through Thursday: matches at 10 a.m. and 6:30 p.m.; Friday: quarterfinals at noon and 6:30 p.m.; Saturday: semifinals at 1:30 and 7:30 p.m.; Sunday: finals at 2 p.m.

Admission -- Today, $3 and $5; Monday through Wednesday, $6 and $8 per session; Thursday and Friday, $8 and $10 per session; Saturday, $10 and $12.50 per session; Sunday, $12.50 and $16. For ticket information, call 627-LOVE in Palm Beach Gardens.
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 01:40 AM   #24

MURJANI CUP OPENS TODAY WITH CHANGES IN SCHEDULE
The Miami Herald
Monday, January 31, 1983
HERALD STAFF

The $150,000 Murjani Cup women's tennis tournament opens today at PGA National in Palm Beach Gardens with some late schedule changes.

The match between Evonne Goolagong Cawley and Rosie Casals and Hana Mandlikova's match with a qualifier have been postponed until Tuesday afternoon because Casals and Mandlikova played Sunday in the Avon Cup at Marco Island, Fla. Tournament director John Korff said persons who present stubs from tonight's matches will be admitted free to Tuesday afternoon's matches.

Top-seeded Chris Evert Lloyd will play her first match Tuesday night at 7 against the winner of today's meeting between Kathy Horvath and Michelle Torres, who reached the semifinals at Marco Island. Second-seeded Andrea Jaeger, the winner Sunday over Mandlikova, also will play Tuesday night against today's winner between Barbara Hallquist and Mary Lou Piatek.

Today's schedule:

Stadium court: 10 a.m. -- Sabrina Simmonds vs. Camille Benjamin, followed by Leigh Thompson vs. Wendy White, Marcella Mesker vs. Leslie Allen, Kathy Horvath vs. Michelle Torres, followed by doubles.

Stadium court: 7 p.m. -- Dianne Fromholtz vs. Yvonne Vermaak, followed by Kathy Jordan vs. Corinne Vanier.

Court Eight: 9:30 a.m. -- Paula Smith vs. Jennie Klitsch, followed by Katerina Skronska vs. Anne White, Dana Gilbert vs. Betsy Nagelsen, Catherine Tanvier vs. Marcela Skuherska, Lucia Romanov vs. Shelly Solomon, followed by doubles.

Court 10: 10 a.m. -- Pat Medrado vs. Amy Holton, followed by Louise Allen vs. Susan Mascarin, Vicki Nelson vs. Ann Hobbs, Manuela Maleeva vs. Sue Leo.

Sunday's qualifying

Shelly Solomon d. Kim Sands, 6-3, 6-3; Amy Holton d. Felicia Raschiatore, 6-4, 6-1; Anne Hobbs downed Kim Steinmetz, 6-0, 6-1; Kim Shaeffer d. Michaela Pazderoza, 6-3, 4-6, 6-2; Susan Leo d. Laura Bernstein, 6-2, 6-4; Paula Smith d. Stacy Margolin, 7-5, 1-6, 6-4; Lea Antonopolis d. Christine O'Neil, 7-6 (7-3), 6-3; Terry Phelps d. Marcela Skuherska, 6-2, 6-2.
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 01:43 AM   #25

What a circus! Imagine Susan Leo vs. vintage Martina Hingis!

WOMEN RAISE A RACKET IN FIRST-ROUND MURJANI MATCH
The Miami Herald
Tuesday, February 1, 1983
JIM MARTZ

Who says you need Wimbledon's Center Court and John McEnroe to have a little spice in a tennis match?

Way out on court 10 Monday, before a grand total of eight spectators at PGA National in Palm Beach Gardens, there was a match highlighted by racquet throwing, whimpering, arguments with fans, a ball being slammed toward a spectator and a warning from the umpire. And McEnroe wasn't within hundreds of miles.

The combatants were Manuela Maleeva and Susan Leo, who are ranked 60th and 90th, respectively, in the world and aren't exactly big names on the women's tennis circuit. But their first-round match in the $150,000 Murjani Cup illustrates that the men haven't cornered the market on controversy.

"God hates me, yes He does," groaned Leo as she looked to the sky. She was losing her cool and her 3-0 lead in the second set.

Maleeva uttered most of her complaints in her native Bulgarian. Maleeva, you may recall, is the 15-year-old who forfeited the championship match of the Orange Bowl World Junior tournament in December at Miami Beach to Carling Bassett.

Her mother waved her off the court in the second set of the Orange Bowl to protest what she claimed was "cheating" by American linesmen. She refused to allow her daughter to accept the runnerup trophy.

Monday, mom was at courtside again. But she bit her tongue when close calls went against Maleeva. It was Leo, a 20-year-old Australian, who reached the boiling point.

Her wrath was taken out on a tournament volunteer worker who was standing near the court and watching the match. The volunteer's sin was applauding a point won by Maleeva.

"Volunteers should shut up." Leo shrieked. "Can you sit down?" Leo then pleaded to the umpire, "Tell her to sit down, she's distracting me."

When the volunteer clapped after another point that Maleeva won, Leo hollered, "Kiss off." The umpire issued a warning to Leo.

A moment later, Leo slammed a ball toward the sideline that missed the volunteer but nearly hit Maleeva's mother, Julie, in the head.

"Point warning," said the umpire. But a linesman reminded him that points can be taken away in men's tennis but not women's tennis, because there's no such penalty system for the women's circuit.

Maleeva, who looked toward her mother every time she made an error or lost a close line call, eventually won the match, 6-3, 6-4. Afterward, both Maleevas said they had no second thoughts about the forfeit at the Orange Bowl, the first ever in the final round of that prestigious junior tournament.

"I'm just trying to forget the Orange Bowl," said Manuela.

Her mother said she would wave her daughter off the court again if she had to. "There's no pride, nothing worth that humiliation," Julie Maleeva said.

Asked if there had been any problems with line calls in the three pro tournaments Manuela has played in since the Orange Bowl, Julie said, "No, they are always making errors, but it's for both players."

All but three of the seeded players in the Murjani Cup were off Monday, though many of the top players on the women's circuit were busy Sunday and Monday with board meetings of the Women's Tennis Association, which is headquartered at PGA National. Martina Navratilova, the WTA president who is not entered in this week's tournament, presided at the meetings but said she didn't have time for interviews with the press because of "business commitments."

Leslie Allen, the 12th seed, beat Marcella Mesker, 7-6, 7-5, but No. 14 Catherine Tanvier was jolted by Terry Phelps, 6-1, 6-0.

No. 11 Kathy Jordan defeated Corinne Vanier, 6-1, 6-2, in one late match, while Yvonnne Vermaak surprised Dianne Fromholtz, 1-6, 7-6 (7-2), 6-4.

Top-seeded Chris Evert Lloyd will play her first match of 1983 tonight at 7 against Kathleen Horvath, who won Monday, 6-3, 6-1, over 15-year-old Michelle Torres. Torres was a surprise semifinalist in last week's Avon Cup at Marco Island, Fla.

Two matches originally slated for Monday night were rescheduled. Ninth-seeded Evonne Goolagong Cawley will meet Rosie Casals this afternoon, and fourth-seeded Hana Mandlikova will play Wednesday night against the winner of today's match between Kim Shaeffer and Jenny Klitch.

Second-seeded Andrea Jaeger, winner of the Avon Cup, will play her first match Wednesday night against today's winner between Paula Smith and Barbara Hallquist. Third-seeded Wendy Turnbull plays this afternoon against Beth Herr. Persons who have ticket stubs from Monday night's matches will be admitted free this afternoon.

Monday's Results

SINGLES

Anne White d. Katherina Skronska, 6-3, 6-4; Betsy Nagelsen d. Dana Gilbert, 6-4, 6-3; Terry Phelps d. Catherine Tanvier, 6-1, 6-0; Shelly Solomon d. Lucia Romanov, 6-1, 6-0; Amy Holton d. Patricia Medrado, 6-2, 6-1; Susan Masca=rin d. Louise Allen, 6-1, 6-2; Vicki Nelson d. Anne Hobbs, 7-5, 6-4; Manuela Maleeva d. Susan Leo, 6-3, 6-4; Sabina Simmonds d. Camille Benjamin, 6-3, 4-6, 6-2; Wendy White d. Leigh Thompson, 6-3, 3-6, 7-5; Kathleen Horvath d. Michelle Torres, 6-3, 6-1; Leslie Allen d. Marcella Mesker, 7-6, 7-5; Yvonne Vermaak d. Dianne Fromholtz, 1-6, 7-6 (7-2), 6-4; Kathy Jordan d. Corinne Vanier, 6-1, 6-2.

DOUBLES

Vairvank-Stove d. Garrison-Mascarin, 6-1, 6-2; Nagelsen- Rinaldi d. Margolin-Shaefer, 6-4, 6-1; Antonopolis-Jordan d. Budarova-Skuherska, 6-2, 1-6, 7-5.

Today's Matches

Stadium court: 10 a.m. -- Andrea Temesvari vs. Pam Casale, followed by Anne White vs. Virginia Ruzici, followed by Wendy Turnbull vs. Beth Herr, followed by Evonne Goolagong Cawley vs. Rosie Casals, followed by Hana Mandlikova-Virginia Ruzici vs. Dianne Fromholtz-Andrea Temesvari.

Stadium court: 7 p.m. -- Chris Evert Lloyd vs. Kathleen Horvath, followed by Kathy Rinaldi vs. Vicki Nelson.

Court Eight: 10 a.m. -- Joanne Russell vs. Duk Hee Lee, followed by Petra Delhees vs. Sabina Simmonds, followed by Rosalyn Fairbank vs. Wendy White, followed by Andrea Jaeger-Mary Lou Piatek vs. Vicki Nelson-Julie Harrington, followed by Zina Garrison vs. Manuela Maleeva, followed by Andrea Leand-Sabina Simmonds vs. Camille Benjamin-Corinne Vanier.

Court 10: 10 a.m. -- Iva Budarova vs. Terry Phelps, followed by Paula Smith vs. Barbara Hallquist, followed by Lea Antonoplis vs. Andrea Leand, followed by Kim Shaeffer vs. Jenny Klitch, followed by Kathy Jordan-Paula Smith vs. Pam Casale-Kim Sands, followed by Lucia Romanov-Duk Hee Lee vs. Katerina Skronska-Debbie Jarrett.
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 01:44 AM   #26

EVERT BEGINS PUSH FOR TOP WITH VICTORY
The Miami Herald
Wednesday, February 2, 1983
SANDY KEENAN

Chris Evert Lloyd has lost the luxuries that go with the world's No. 1 ranking, the perks that accompany the top perch of women's professional tennis.

No longer can she afford to take three-month respites at the beginning of a year. No longer can she attend tournaments as infrequently as heathens attend church.

"I'm afraid the vacation is over now," said Evert after disposing of Kathy Horvath, 6-2, 6-3, in the second round of the $150,000 Murjani Cup, which will run through Sunday at PGA National in Palm Beach Gardens.

In her first match of the year, Evert dished up lethal dropshots, spliced a few lines with her characteristic groundstrokes and toyed with a whipping wind. The 28-year-old Fort Lauderdale native tagged her own performance at 25 per cent below her optimal skill.

"It's going to take awhile to get back," said the tournament's top seed. "I was happy to get the first match over with, to get through the night, but I think I can play better."

Andrea Jaeger is the second seed in the 56-player tournament played on Evert's favorite surface -- soft, slow clay. Before Tuesday, Evert's last match was on Dec. 12, when she fell to Martina Navratilova, 4-6, 6-1, 6-2, in the Toyota Championships and surrendered all hope of being named the No. 1 women's player in the world.

"I don't want to play catch-up tennis all year," said Evert. "In the past, I've taken two to three months off and come into the season more eager."

No longer.

Horvath proved a tougher match psychologically than physically for Evert's 1983 debut in front of a sellout crowd of 3,204. The 17-year-old from Largo, Fla. -- ranked 45th in the world -- pushed Evert to two match points at the Italian Open in 1981.

"Ever since I almost beat her, she always plays me tough," said Horvath, jovial after the match despite the loss. "She doesn't take me lightly."

Horvath tried to mix up shots and throw off Evert's baseline barrage, but she couldn't put together an impressive portfolio. After winning the first game of the match, Horvath lost her luster while Evert picked up momentum. The crowd was quiet as the wind swirled crazily during the 90-minute match.

Evert played before her parents and her sister, Jeanne Evert Dubin, as she beat Horvath for the fourth time in three years. Thursday, Evert will meet the winner of today's match between Yvonne Vermaak and Kathy Jordan.

"The second match will be easier," said Evert. "It's going to take awhile to get back to the way I was playing at the end of last year."

Tuesday's match against Horvath was Evert's 858th career victory, according the Women's Tennis Association figures. Her winning percentage is roughly 92 per cent.

Still, No. 2 must try harder.

Tuesday's results

SINGLES

First round -- Joanne Russell d. Duk Hee Lee, 6-2, 6-1; Andrea Temesvari d. Pam Casale, 6-1, 6-3; Petra Delhees d. Sabina Simmons, 6-0, 7-6 (7-5); Paula Smith d. Barbara Hallquist, 7-5, 6-2; Rosalyn Fairbank d. Wendy White, 6-1, 6-3; Lea Antonopolis d. Andrea Leand, 7-5, 6-2; Jenny Klitch d. Kim Shaeffer, 6-4, 0-6, 6-4; Zina Garrison d. Manuela Maleeva, 6-1, 7-5; Rosie Casals d. Christine O'Neil, 6-2, 7-5; Kathy Rinaldi d. Vicki Nelson, 6-3, 5-7, 6-3.

Second round -- Iva Budarova d. Terry Phelps, 6-4, 6-1; Anne White d. Virginia Ruzici, 6-3, 6-7 (8-10) 7-5; Wendy Turnbull d. Beth Herr, 4-6, 6-4, 6-1; Chris Evert Lloyd d. Kathy Horvath, 6-2, 6-3.

DOUBLES

First round -- Andrea Jaeger-Mary Lou Piatek d. Vicki Nelson-Julie Harrington, 6-0, 7-5; Kathy Jordan-Paula Smith d. Pam Casale-Kim Sands, 7-6 (7-3), 6-1; Andrea Leand-Sabina Simmonds d. Camile Benjamin-Corinne Vanier, 6-1, 6-4.

Today's schedule

Stadium Court (10 a.m.) -- Barbara Potter-Sharon Walsh vs. Ann Henrickson-Barbara Hallquist; Yvonne Vermaak vs. Kathy Jordan; Joanne Russell vs. Susan Mascarin; Rosie Casals-Wendy Turnbull vs. Pam Whytcross-Chris O'Neil; Joanne Russell-Anne White vs. Kathy Horvath-Yvonne Vermaak.

Stadium Court (7 p.m.) -- Andrea Jaeger vs. Paula Smith; Hana Mandlikova vs. Jenny Klitch.

Court 8 (10 a.m.) -- Leslie Allen vs. Amy Holton; Betsy Nagelsen vs. Rosie Casals; Lisa Bonder vs. Andrea Leand; Leslie Allen-Lele Forood vs. Helena Sukova-Catherine Tanvier; Wendy White-Leigh Thompson vs. Lisa Bonder-Beth Herr.

Court 10 (10 a.m.) -- Felicia Raschiatore-Kim Steinmetz vs. Pat Medrado-Claudia Monteiro; Anne Hobbs-Susan Leo vs. Hana Strachonova-Laura Arraya; Shelly Solomon vs. Andrea Temesvari; Laura Dupont-Nancy Yeargin vs. Petra Delhees-Marcella Mesker. Barbara Jordan-Lea Antonoplis vs. Andrea Leand-Sabina Simmonds.
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 01:45 AM   #27

ALLEN, RAIN DON'T STOP HOLTON
The Miami Herald
Thursday, February 3, 1983
SANDY KEENAN

The sky waited for amateur Amy Holton, 17, to score the upset of her career Wednesday morning before it rained havoc on the $150,000 Murjani Cup at PGA National in Palm Beach Gardens.

The pint-sized Holton, ranked 138th in the world by the Women's Tennis Association, defeated No. 22 Leslie Allen, 5-7, 6-3, 6-1, in a two-hour match before play was suspended for the rest of the day at 2 p.m. Allen was the tournament's 12th seed.

"Leslie is my biggest win," said Holton, who employs a consistent baseline game similiar to that of Chris Evert Lloyd, the tournament's top-seeded player. "The wind made it really hard for Leslie to volley. I threw up a few lobs at critical times."

Holton graduated from high school two weeks ago and immediately hit the road to try the professional tour as an amateur. So far, all is well.

"Amy Holton has already won enough matches here to constitute an entire tournament," said John Korff, the Murjani Cup promoter.

She fought her way through two rounds of qualifying, then beat Pat Medrado, 6-2, 6-1, in the first round and Allen, a lofty serve-and-volley player, in the second.

Along with Evert, the top-seeded players trying for the $27,500 first prize are Andrea Jaeger, Hana Mandlikova and Wendy Turnbull. The 56-player tournament will run through Sunday.

Second-seeded Jaeger and fourth-seeded Mandlikova could play three matches each today because of the rain.

"I don't mind too much having the schedule messed up," Jaeger said. If I have to play a lot more, that's OK. I'm anxious to start playing because I had a good week last week."

Holton admitted being nervous before the match but said she knew her style, steady from the baseline, is the kind that gives Allen the most trouble.

"I hope this win will move me up in the rankings," Holton said. "I don't have any understanding of how the computer works."

In the two other singles matches that were finished before the rain came, unseeded Yvonne Vermaak of South Africa beat 11th-seeded Kathy Jordan, 7-6 (7-5), 6-1, and Betsy Nagelsen beat veteran Rosie Casals, 6-3, 6-4.

After her match, Holton returned to her hotel room to call older sister Kathy, a freshman at the University of Florida who also happens to be the Gators' No. 1 player.

All four Holton children play competitive tennis. Brother Ricky ranks third in Florida in the 16-and-under division, and sister Holly ranks 24th in Florida in the 12-and-under division. Amy is ranked first in the state in girls' 18-and- under and 12th nationally.

Kathy and Amy often play doubles together and faced each other last summer in the singles final of the Florida State Tournament.

"It was hard on both of us," said Amy, who won, 6-2, 7-5.

Amy credits Kathy with some of her success. "There were always times I didn't feel like practicing when Kathy would drag me out on the court. She's really disciplined," Amy said, rolling her eyes.

Holton said she plans to play amateur and professional tournaments until next fall, when she will enter college for "at least one year." She'll compete in professional events this winter and then play the national junior circuit this summer.

An underdog in the pro ranks, she's a favorite among the juniors.

When she's home in Sarasota, Holton practices at Nick Bollettieri's tennis camp. The 5-5, 110-pound, green-eyed blonde has won two national junior doubles titles and one national junior singles title.

Wednesday's results

SINGLES

Second round -- Yvonne Vermaak d. Kathy Jordan, 7-6 (7-5), 6-1; Betsy Nagelsen d. Rosie Casals, 6-3, 6-4; Amy Holton d. Leslie Allen, 5-7, 6-3, 6-1; all other matches postponed because of rain.

DOUBLES

Anne Hobbs-Sue Leo d. Laura Arraya-Hana Strachonova, 6-2, 6-3; Barbara Potter-Sharon Walsh d. Ann Henricksson-Barbara Hallquist, 7-5, 6-1; Pat Medrado-Claudia Monteiro d. Felicia Raschiatore-Kim Steinmetz, 2-6, 6-2, 6-3.

Today's schedule

Stadium court, 8:30 a.m. -- Joanne Russell vs. Susan Mascarin, followed by Andrea Jaeger vs. Paula Smith; Kathy Rinaldi vs. Shelly Solomon or Andrea Temesvari, followed by Russell or Mascarin vs. Smith or Jaeger; Wendy Turnbull-Rosie Casals vs. Chris O'Neil-Pam Whytcross; Betsy Nagelsen-Kathy Rinaldi vs. Kathy Jordan-Pam Smith.

Stadium court, 7 p.m. -- Chris Evert Lloyd vs. Yvonne Vermaak. Hana Mandlikova-Virginia Ruzici vs. Betty Stove-Rosalyn Fairbank.

Court 8, 8:30 a.m. -- Lisa Bonder vs. Andrea Leand; Jenny Klitch vs. Hana Mandlikova; Wendy Turnbull vs. Bonder or Leand; Betsy Nagelsen vs. Klitch or Mandlikova; Zina Garrison vs. Amy Holton; Kathy Horvath-Yvonne Vermaak vs. Joanne Russell-Anne White; Andrea Jaeger-Mary Lou Piatek vs. Anne Hobbs-Sue Leo.

Court 10, 10 a.m. -- Shelly Solomon vs. Andrea Temesvari; Iva Budarova vs. Anne White; Rosalyn Fairbank vs. Sabina Simmonds; Wendy White-Leigh Thompson vs. Lisa Bonder-Beth Herr; Lea Antonoplis-Barbara Jordan vs. Andrea Leand-Sabina Simmonds.

Court 11, noon -- Leslie Allen-Lelee Forood vs. Helena Sukova-Catherine Tanvier; Petra Delhees-Marcella Mesker vs. Laura Dupont-Nancy Yeargin; Duk Hee Lee-Lucia Romanov vs. Pat Medrado-Claudia Monteiro; Barbara Potter-Sharon Walsh vs. Allen-Forood or Sukova-Tanvier.
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 01:48 AM   #28

TEMESVARI MASTERS HOSTILE FANS, RINALDI
The Miami Herald
Friday, February 4, 1983
SANDY KEENAN

Andrea Temesvari, a 16-year-old tennis player from Hungary, weathered harassment from fans Thursday as she upset local favorite and No. 7 seed Kathy Rinaldi, 6-3, 7-6 (11-9), in the third round of the $150,000 Murjani Cup at PGA National in Palm Beach Gardens.

Temesvari deftly handled blustering winds and continuously nailed Rinaldi to the back walls of the court with high topspins, yet she almost lost the match to Rinaldi's ranters.

The commotion began in the second set with Temesvari holding a 4-1 lead. About 50 Rinaldi followers in a crowd of 250 clapped at Temesvari's double faults and applauded her mistakes -- blasphemy according to tennis etiquette.

"It was terrible. I was very upset," said Temesvari, ranked 27th in the world. "I told the umpire to tell them it's not nice what they're doing."

Rattled a bit, Temesvari lost her concentration while the score went to 4-4, then Rinaldi took the lead. She served to Temesvari at 6-5 but lost the game without winning a single point, forcing the tiebreaker.

Temesvari took the lead but then gave up two match points at 6-4. Then Rinaldi had her turn, gaining three chances to win the set on one point. Finally, at 10-9, Temesvari put away a volley at the net to secure the match.

"It's a very good victory for me," said Temesvari, ranked 146th on the Women's Tennis Association computer a year ago. "I saw her play in Marco Island last week and said to myself, 'Don't be scared; just because she's 15th in the world doesn't mean she's that good."

Rinaldi, who is from nearby Martin Downs, complimented Temesvari on her play -- then added that the hometown fans had an effect on her, too.

"Playing in front of family and friends adds pressure to playing," she said. "I get nervous and want to play better." Instead, she said, she was "in a big rush and making too many unforced errors" before her second-set comeback.

In today's quarterfinals, Temesvari will meet top-seeded Chris Evert Lloyd, who defeated Yvonne Vermaak, 3-6, 6-0, 6-0. Temesvari lost to Evert, 6-0, 6-3, in the final of the 1982 Swiss Open, but she wasn't afraid to play her again.

"Everybody wants to beat the best," she said. "I'm not saying I can -- I just hope I play well. I like to play against the best."

"I think Temesvari can hurt me more than Rinaldi could have," said Evert. "She's big and strong and can play aggressively or patiently. She's a tough little player."

No. 2 seed Andrea Jaeger, who defeated JoAnne Russell, 6-4, 6-2, after routing Paula Smith, 6-1, 6-1, in a rain-delayed second-round match,, may not be jealous of Temesvari's tennis, but she's envious of her looks. Temesvari, a blue-eyed blonde, is a flashy-looking 5-9 and 125 pounds.

"She's a year younger than I am, and I swear she looks 21," said Jaeger, 17. "She should be doing centerfolds, not playing tennis. If I had her looks, I would go for it."

Temesvari travels with her father and coach Otto, speaks three languages (English, French and Hungarian) and plays basketball when she's not playing tennis.

She turned pro at the age of 14 and has been the No. 1 player in Hungary since. As she climbed on the computer lists from 146th to her present ranking of 27th, she earned $46,385.

But "I try not to think of the computer because I don't understand it," said Temesvari, who is finishing high school through correspondence courses. "One week, I didn't even play and moved up in the rankings. I just hope the computer is nice to me."

Even if the fans aren't.

Thursday's results

SINGLES

Second round -- Betsy Nagelsen d. Rosie Casals, 6-3, 6-4; Hana Mandlikova d. Jenny Klitch, 6-2, 6-3; JoAnne Russell d. Susan Mascarin, 6-3, 6-3; Andrea Jaeger d. Paula Smith, 6-1, 6-1; Andrea Temesvari d. Shelly Solomon, 6-0, 6-1; Andrea Leand d. Lisa Bonder, 4-6, 6-2, 7-5.

Third round -- Iva Budarova d. Anne White. 7-6 (8-6) 6-3; Wendy Turnbull d. Leand, 6-1, 6-1; Temesvari d. Kathy Rinaldi 6-3, 7-6.

DOUBLES

First round -- Rosie Casals/Wendy Turnbull d. Chris O'Neil/Pam Whytcross, 6-3, 6-2; Petra Delhees/Marcella Mesker d. Laura Dupont/Nancy Yeargin, 6-3, 6-1; Helena Sukova/Catherine Tanvier d. Leslie Allen/Lelee Forood, 7-5, 6-3; Beth Herr/Lisa Bonder d. Wendy White/Leigh Thompson, 6-7 (4-7) 6-2, 6-2; JoAnne Russell/Anne White d. Kathy Horvath/Yvonne Vermaak, 6-4, 7-6 (7-2).

Second round -- Kathy Jordan/Paula Smith d. Betsy Nagelsen/ Kathy Rinaldi, 6-3, 6-1; Lea Antonoplis/Barbara Jordan d. Andrea Leand/Sabina Simmonds, 7-6 (7-3) 6-2; Duk Hee Lee/Lucia Romanov d. Pat Medrado/Claudia Monteiro, 7-5, 3-6, 6-2;

Hana Mandlikova/Virginia Ruzici d. Betty Stove/ Ros Fairbank, 6-1, 6-2.

Today's matches

Stadium Court, beginning at noon -- Iva Budarova vs. Wendy Turnbull; Zina Garrison vs. Andrea Jaeger; Hana Mandlikova vs. Ros Fairbank; Anne Hobbs/Susan Leo vs. Barbara Potter/Sharon Walsh.

Stadium Court, beginning at 7 p.m. -- Andrea Temesvari vs. Chris Evert Lloyd; Rosie Casals/Wendy Turnbull or Petra Delhees/Marcella Mesker vs. Hana Mandlikova/Virginia Ruzici.

Court 8, beginning at noon -- Duk Hee Lee/Lucia Romanov vs. Kathy Jordan/Paula Smith; Lisa Bonder/Beth Herr vs. JoAnne Russell/Anne White; Rosie Casals/ Wendy Turnbull vs. Petra Delhees/Marcella Mesker; Lisa Bonder/Beth Herr or JoAnne Russell/Anne White vs. Lea Antonoplis/Barbara Jordan.
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 01:49 AM   #29

EVERT ROUTS TEMESVARI, GAINS SEMIS
The Miami Herald
Saturday, February 5, 1983
JIM MARTZ

Chris Evert Lloyd and South Florida clay courts go together like Nureyev and a stage, or Dorothy Hamill and ice.

Evert is an artist on the surface, and Friday night she painted another opponent into a corner. This time it was Andrea Temesvari, who was only five years old the last time Evert lost a tennis match on clay in South Florida.

Temesvari, a 16-year-old Hungarian with considerable poise and promise, battled Evert to 3-3 in the first set before succumbing, 6-3, 6-0, as 1,852 chilled fans watched the quarterfinals of the $150,000 Murjani Cup at PGA National Resort in Palm Beach Gardens.

It was Evert's 59th consecutive victory on clay in her native area. The last time she lost was to Denise Carter in 1971 at Lighthouse Point. In 14 tournaments since then, her only setback came indoors at the Hollywood Sportatorium in 1979 when she bowed to Greer Stevens.

But Evert, who will play Wendy Turnbull at 2 p.m. today, wasn't thinking about streaks Friday night. She was simply trying to warm up to the 1983 season in her bid to regain the No. 1 ranking from Martina Navratilova.

"I felt I played a good match," said Evert, who whipped Temesvari, 6-0, 6-3, in the final of last year's Swiss Open in their only other meeting. "She had a break point to take a 4-3 lead, but when I won that game, I got a lot of confidence.

"This was the best I played in this tournament. I was very consistent. She's very difficult to play because of her heavy topspin shots. It took a few games to get used to her, then I tried to hit a lot of short balls to her."

In the other semifinal, to be played tonight at 7, second- seeded Andrea Jaeger will meet fourth-seeded Hana Mandlikova. Friday afternoon's quarterfinals were all mismatches as Turnbull, seeded third, whipped Iva Budarova, 6-0, 6-1; Jaeger got revenge for a recent loss in Houston to Zina Garrison, 6-1, 6-1; and Mandlikova dumped Ros Fairbank, 6-0, 6-1.

Temesvari was no match for Evert in the second set, losing the first 10 points and winning only four points in the first five games.

"I feel I was playing very good until three-all," said Temesvari, ranked 27th in the world and an upset winner over seventh-seeded Kathy Rinaldi in the third round. "Maybe I got a little tired and lost my concentration. And she got better.

"I think she was nervous at first and got very comfortable in the second set."

Somebody pointed out to Temesvari that her one-hour and eight-minute match was the longest of the day by more than 20 minutes.

"Oh, my gosh, that wasn't very hard to do," she said, laughing. "I tried to do more. But Chrissie is changing her game more -- she's hitting some slices and some topspin."

But why wouldn't someone so tall as Temesvari (she is 5-9) come to the net more often? She avoided it as if it were a barbed-wire fence.

"I didn't come to the net because it was so dark," she explained. "I didn't see the balls. I need contacts. I missed three or four volleys so easy, so I tried to stay back."

Staying back on clay against Evert would be like the Dolphins trying to stop Washington running back John Riggins with an eight-man defense. When Turnbull takes on Evert today, it's certain she won't lay back.

"Wendy has more weapons than the first three players I playad this week," said Evert, who beat Kathy Horvath and Yvonne Vermaak in the first two rounds. "She prefers faster courts. You won't see a lot of long rallies and high balls. Maybe there will be more winners and fewer errors."

Friday's results

QUARTERFINALS

Singles -- Wendy Turnbull d. Iva Budarova, 6-0, 6-1; Andrea Jaeger d. Zina Garrison, 6-1, 6-1; Hana Mandlikova d. Ros Fairbank, 6-0, 6-1; Chris Evert Lloyd d. Andrea Temesvari, 6-3, 6-0.

Doubles -- Kathy Jordan-Paula Smith d. Duk Hee Lee-Lucia Romanov, 6-3, 7-5; JoAnne Russell-Anne White d. Lisa Bonder-Beth Herr, 6-4, 6-1; Rosie Casals-Wendy Turnbull d. Petra Delhees- Marcella Mesker, 6-4, 6-3; Barbara Potter-Sharon Walsh d. Anne Hobbs-Susan Leo, 6-3, 6-7, 7-6; Mandlikova-Virginia Ruzici d. Casals-Turnbull, 1-6, 7-5, 6-4.

Today's matches

2 p.m. -- Turnbull vs. Evert; followed by Potter-Walsh vs. Antonoplis-Jordan or White-Russell.

7 p.m. -- Jaeger vs. Mandlikova; followed by Mandlikova- Ruzici vs. K. Jordan-P. Smith.
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 01:51 AM   #30

EVERT RIPS TURNBULL
The Miami Herald
Sunday, February 6, 1983
JIM MARTZ

Wendy Turnbull knew she was doomed before she ever walked onto the tennis court Saturday.

She was exhausted physically because she had played three matches Friday -- two doubles and one singles, including a three-set doubles match ending late at night. And she felt beaten mentally, because she would be facing Chris Evert Lloyd on clay, the surface Evert loses on about as often as John McEnroe says "have a nice day" to an umpire.

Turnbull didn't have a nice day. Evert blasted the Australian they call "The Rabbit' right into a hole, 6-1, 6-1, before an estimated 2,500 fans in the semifinals of the $150,000 Murjani Cup at the PGA National Resort in Palm Beach Gardens.

That advanced top-seeded Evert to today's 2 p.m. final against second-seeded Andrea Jaeger, who defeated No. 4 Hana Mandlikova, 6-2, 6-4. The final, which is sold out, will be telecast nationally by the USA cable network via tape delay at 7 p.m.

This will be the fifth consecutive South Florida tournament in which Evert and Jaeger have met in the final. Last year, Evert won three in a row at Deer Creek and one at Palm Beach Gardens in the Citizen Cup and dropped only one set to Jaeger in the process.

"I've played a lot lately, and this is her first tournament [of the year], so we'll have to see what happens," said Jaeger, who defeated Evert twice on clay last year. "We've played a lot of three-set matches. I can stay out there all day, but to do so, I'll have to play well."

Turnbull wished she could have changed everything in her game.

"I left my forehand back at my condominium and my backhand on the bridge coming over the water," said Turnbull, a 30-year- old who was seeded third. "No, actually Chris is just so tough on clay.

"I was just so mentally and physically exhausted. And to beat Chris, you have to be playing well and be mentally and physically prepared."

Evert extended her 12-year-old winning streak on clay in South Florida to 60 matches. And since turning pro in 1973, she hasn't lost anywhere in the state on clay, compiling a 69-match streak.

If those facts weren't intimidating enough to Turnbull, her lifetime record against Evert was. She was 1-16 going into the match, including 0-4 on clay. She hasn't even won a set on the surface. Her lone triumph over Evert came indoors in Atlanta in 1979.

Evert pinned Turnbull to the baseline with hard and deep groundstrokes. And when The Rabbit managed to hop to the net, Evert usually passed her.

"Wendy can put together a few good points on clay but not keep it up," said Evert. "She has a good chip shot on grass, but on clay, that's not a weapon.

"Against me or any other good clay player, she gets psyched out. She knows we're going to stay out longer and hit deep and take away her best shot. And she's not patient. She likes to get it over with."

Although the points lasted longer than Turnbull likes, the match didn't -- Evert won in 51 minutes. She has yet to be tested in this tournament, although she expects to be today.

Last spring, Jaeger defeated Evert on clay at Hilton Head, S.C., in three sets and in the French Open semifinals in straight sets. But Evert won the next four meetings, including their most recent in the Australian Open semifinals by 6-1, 6-0.

Jaeger's victory over Mandlikova was nearly a replay of their encounter in last Sunday's Avon Cup final at Marco Island, Fla. Jaeger won that one, 6-1, 6-3, but it was somewhat harder Saturday night, because Mandlikova made fewer errors and displayed flashes of the brilliance she had shown in reaching the No. 4 ranking in the world in 1981.

"I need a couple more matches against the top players," said Mandlikova, who was sidelined four months last year because of nagging injuries. "I've beaten them before, so I know I can again."

In a moment of frustration, Jaeger displayed a new finger gesture, but she says it's not meant to be obscene. She raises the little finger on her right hand and points it at someone or something.

"A lot of times, I get aggravated at myself, and instead of yelling at the top of my lungs, I do that," she said. "It doesn't mean anything. It relieves tension when I'm mad at myself or someone in the stands. I'm not trying to start anything."

In the doubles semifinals, Barbara Potter and Sharon Walsh sidelined Lea Antonoplis and Barbara Jordan, 7-5, 7-5. They'll play after today's singles final against Kathy Jordan and Paula Smith, who defeated Mandlikova and Virginia Ruzici, 6-7 (5-7), 6-4, 6-4.