Dutch Treats - A Thread to Remember Dutch Players - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 7th, 2015, 02:17 AM   #1
country flag preacherfan

preacherfan is a splendid one to behold preacherfan is a splendid one to behold preacherfan is a splendid one to behold preacherfan is a splendid one to behold preacherfan is a splendid one to behold preacherfan is a splendid one to behold preacherfan is a splendid one to behold preacherfan is a splendid one to behold preacherfan is a splendid one to behold preacherfan is a splendid one to behold preacherfan is a splendid one to behold
Dutch Treats - A Thread to Remember Dutch Players

The first tournament I followed closely as a 12 year old was the 1977 Wimbledon and I was intrigued by the name Betty Stove. I pulled for her from that point on and became interested in other Dutch players - Marcella Mesker, Marianne VanderTorre, Nanette Schutte, and others to follow. Have been interested others... Marijke Schaar who hit forehands off both sides - Trudy Groenman #1 Dutch player of the 60's who reached the Wimbledon QFs in 1966. Any thoughts on these and others?
Advertisement

Old Mar 7th, 2015, 10:45 AM   #2
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future
Re: Dutch Treats - A Thread to Remember Dutch Players

I saw Marianne Van Der Torre play at the AO in 1987, on grass at Kooyong. She played Sylvia Hanika, which was a marathon and checking the score now, 10-8 in the 3rd. Hanika was coming back from injury at that stage and not near full form. Despite Marianne's big swings and Sylvia's spin, she adapted to grass very well on this day and could've won the match.

I can remember the match being on TV and on centre court because pre-Melbourne park, the draws were 96 players and the top 16 players had byes with 16 others randomly drawn with byes too. Therefore there were always some random matches on the centre on the first two days.
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 04:02 PM   #3
country flag preacherfan

preacherfan is a splendid one to behold preacherfan is a splendid one to behold preacherfan is a splendid one to behold preacherfan is a splendid one to behold preacherfan is a splendid one to behold preacherfan is a splendid one to behold preacherfan is a splendid one to behold preacherfan is a splendid one to behold preacherfan is a splendid one to behold preacherfan is a splendid one to behold preacherfan is a splendid one to behold

I saw Kristie Boogert play at Amelia Island in the 90s. Jana Novotna was her doubles partner and Betty Stove her coach. Boogert was talented and had potential that was never fulfilled.

Last edited by preacherfan : Mar 10th, 2015 at 04:14 PM.
preacherfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 04:14 PM   #4
country flag preacherfan

Betty Stove's career is amazing. She began in the mid-60s and spent most of her first ten years out of the spotlight. She was usually in the top 50 players, but rarely close to the top ten. She had an occasional big win. I guess when her big game was on, she could beat almost anyone. Wikipedia says that she was out of the game with an illness for 18 months in the late 60s, so that could derail anyone's success. Her best year was 1977 at age 32!!!

After never having made any real impact on the women's doubles world, she won 3 Grand Slam titles in 1972. I guess Billie Jean King must have seen Betty's potential once the VS tour began.

Her mixed success with Frew McMillan has to be one of the most lasting and successful of the Open Era.
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 04:20 PM   #5
country flag preacherfan

Miriam Oremans' most memorable win:

TENNIS; Thwack! Navratrilova Exits Paris Angrily
By ROBIN FINN,
Published: May 24, 1994

PARIS, May 23— After her wet noodle of a performance sent a damp-eyed Martina Navratilova from her last French Open with her first-ever first-round loss here, she launched her most vehement stroke of the afternoon. The angry veteran took a final baleful look at the high-tech widebody racquet that failed her so miserably, and then rendered it a pretzel by smashing it into her hardwood chair.

This was, in every way, no way to say goodbye.

In the French Open's only major upset on this pristine opening day, Navratilova absorbed a 6-4, 6-4 defeat at the unusually capable hands of 54th-ranked Miriam Oremans of the Netherlands, a player who had won just a single match this year. The 21-year-old Oremans, the sturdy daughter of a Dutch butcher, pronounced herself delighted over today's improvement on her 0-2 record against the 37-year-old Navratilova, a vegetarian who prides herself on being lean and mean without benefit of meat.

"But I can imagine she doesn't like it that she lost in the first round," said Oremans, who couldn't help hearing the racquet-splitting crash that served as the retirement-bound Navratilova's final comment on her final singles match here. Sorry, Folks

Navratilova later apologized for the tantrum that brought about her racquet's demise so quickly after her own.

"I've never done it before and I hope I never will again, but at that point I was too disappointed to care about anything," said Navratilova, who dropped her serve five times and never seemed able to shake off her defensive jitters.

The two-time French Open champion hadn't played here in five years and made this sentimental visit against the wishes of her coaches, Billie Jean King and Craig Kardon. They felt her mental and physical energies should be trained on Wimbledon, where she holds a record nine titles and where her final appearance will no doubt be fraught with drama and trauma.

But Navratilova wanted to pay her respects to Roland Garros before leaving her profession, and she reiterated today that she had no regrets about her decision to compete. She only wished she didn't have to rely on ladies and mixed doubles to get her onto Center Court one last time. 'I Thought I Should Quit'

"I finally won the fans over and now I can't get past the first round," said Navratilova, who played in Chris Evert's shadow here during their heyday. Navratilova admitted this loss had her questioning the wisdom of continuing with her plan to play a full schedule for the remainder of the year regardless of results.

"For one brief moment, I thought that I should just quit right now and not have to worry about getting ready for another match, but that lasted for about one quarter of a second," she said. "No, this doesn't change my career or the way I'll end it."

For Navratilova, it was only her fourth first-round defeat in 64 Grand Slams, and her first since 1976. She played and won her first match here in 1973 and went on to claim the title in 1982 and '84.