Jemelle Hill ESPN commentator twittered racist tweet - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2013, 10:37 PM   #16
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
 
JN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicity
Posts: 14,257
JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jemelle Hill ESPN commentator twittered racist tweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamsser View Post
Jemele Hill suspended for anti-Semitic remarks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jemele_Hill

During the 2008 NBA Playoffs, Hill was suspended from her post after referencing Adolf Hitler in an article about the then-NBA champion Boston Celtics and the Detroit Pistons. In an editorial describing why she could not support the Celtics, Hill wrote: "Rooting for the Celtics is like saying Hitler was a victim. It's like hoping Gorbachev would get to the blinking red button before Reagan. Deserving or not, I still hate the Celtics." The comments immediately generated a negative response from readers and that portion of the editorial was taken out shortly after the column was published. Hill was subsequently suspended for one week and issued an apology through ESPN.
And you see this as the same thing, I presume?
__________________
chanda · venus (7) · serena (17) · na · ana · vera



Last edited by JN : Jan 4th, 2013 at 10:47 PM.
JN is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old Jan 4th, 2013, 10:38 PM   #17
country flag hablo
Senior Member
 
hablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: canada
Posts: 47,333
hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jemelle Hill ESPN commentator twittered racist tweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN View Post
Jemele Hill is the ESPN commentator who received the racist twitpic in the OP from someone not identified.
My bad.
__________________
GO HABS GO

GO all Canuck players GO
hablo is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #18
country flag dybbuk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 17,585
dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jemelle Hill ESPN commentator twittered racist tweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamsser View Post
Jemele Hill suspended for anti-Semitic remarks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jemele_Hill

During the 2008 NBA Playoffs, Hill was suspended from her post after referencing Adolf Hitler in an article about the then-NBA champion Boston Celtics and the Detroit Pistons. In an editorial describing why she could not support the Celtics, Hill wrote: "Rooting for the Celtics is like saying Hitler was a victim. It's like hoping Gorbachev would get to the blinking red button before Reagan. Deserving or not, I still hate the Celtics." The comments immediately generated a negative response from readers and that portion of the editorial was taken out shortly after the column was published. Hill was subsequently suspended for one week and issued an apology through ESPN.
And this excuses the letter how?
dybbuk is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 10:53 PM   #19
country flag Williamsser
Lifetime Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,260
Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jemelle Hill ESPN commentator twittered racist tweet

Jamele Hill defends homophobic remarks

http://outsports.com/jocktalkblog/20...f-david-tyree/

On ESPN.com yesterday, columnist Jemele Hill said she accepts and respects David Tyree for being so active and vocal in his belief that gay people should be treated as second-class citizens.

The column is a sorry excuse for the quality we’ve come to expect from ESPN. Not just because as a black woman she should know better than to defend bigotry, and not just because she used her platform to tell her readers that anyone who stands up for hateful beliefs should be respected. Sure, those two things are pretty bad. But the shameful part of Hill’s piece is that, in her quest to lift up this bigoted man, she used even more faulty logic and poorly realized arguments than Tyree did in his original anti-equality video.

I won’t rehash the details of her column here; You can read them at ESPN.com. Suffice it to say, she says we should all respect people like David Tyree, and I guess Fred Phelps too, because he so fervently sticks to his beliefs that God hates gay people. Heck, I’m sure her office is covered with posters of Jefferson Davis for sticking by what he believes despite a war erupting around him!

Hill asserts that Tyree has the right to say whatever he wants. First Amendment! First Amendment! The thing is, no one disagrees with that. I haven’t heard anyone say he should be arrested for his comments. I haven’t heard anyone say he’s overstepped the law. No one has argued Tyree doesn’t have the First Amendment right to say he thinks gay people should be treated as second-class citizens, and even GLAAD would defend his right to say it.
Williamsser is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 11:12 PM   #20
country flag hablo
Senior Member
 
hablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: canada
Posts: 47,333
hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jemelle Hill ESPN commentator twittered racist tweet

So Williamsser, whoever made that tweet is not racist because that ESPN commentator has defended homophobic remarks and made anti-semitic remarks in the past? Or she deserves to have racists comments made about her because of them?
__________________
GO HABS GO

GO all Canuck players GO
hablo is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 11:13 PM   #21
country flag Helen Lawson
Senior Member
 
Helen Lawson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for Shirley
Posts: 18,089
Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jemelle Hill ESPN commentator twittered racist tweet

I think she posts on this board from what I've read.
__________________
They should take the reporters from the National Enquirer, the Star, and USWeekly and make them hunt down the terrorists. They would find the terrorists. All of them.
Helen Lawson is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 11:29 PM   #22
country flag L'Enfant Sauvage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,505
L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jemelle Hill ESPN commentator twittered racist tweet

This "Williamsser" is definitely a character from the few NT threads I've seen
__________________
Queen LordRena Williams XVII
Lady Venus / Princess Vika / Lady Aga
Rise of Madison Keys / Rebirth of GOATra Kvitova

(Anyone playing Sharapova)
L'Enfant Sauvage is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 11:37 PM   #23
country flag Williamsser
Lifetime Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,260
Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jemelle Hill ESPN commentator twittered racist tweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hablo View Post
So Williamsser, whoever made that tweet is not racist because that ESPN commentator has defended homophobic remarks and made anti-semitic remarks in the past? Or she deserves to have racists comments made about her because of them?
Jemele Hill can dish it, but can't take it.

Williamsser is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 11:44 PM   #24
country flag dybbuk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 17,585
dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jemelle Hill ESPN commentator twittered racist tweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamsser View Post
Jemele Hill can dish it, but can't take it.

So you think making a (off-colored and inappropriate) joke means she deserves to be called a monkey, spear thrower and various other horrible names for black people? Ok. You actually win the award for TF's Most Despicable Person. Sometimes I really wish you're an amazing troll and not actually just scum.
dybbuk is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 11:45 PM   #25
country flag ~{X}~
Senior Member
 
~{X}~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: In The N.Y.C.
Posts: 18,247
~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jemelle Hill ESPN commentator twittered racist tweet

In my opinion... whoever wrote the letter is a dumbass and ignorant as hell for writing the letter.

And in addition if Jemelle Hill has both defended homophobic remarks from someone else and has said anti semitic things... well she is ignorant and a dumbass as well.

So clearly a lot of people in the situation past or present are ignorant and dumb as fuck.
__________________
SERENA 17 GRAND SLAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CLIJSTERS 4 GRAND SLAMS!!!!
~{X}~ is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 11:49 PM   #26
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
 
JN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicity
Posts: 14,257
JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jemelle Hill ESPN commentator twittered racist tweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamsser View Post
Jamele Hill defends homophobic remarks

http://outsports.com/jocktalkblog/20...f-david-tyree/

On ESPN.com yesterday, columnist Jemele Hill said she accepts and respects David Tyree for being so active and vocal in his belief that gay people should be treated as second-class citizens.

The column is a sorry excuse for the quality we’ve come to expect from ESPN. Not just because as a black woman she should know better than to defend bigotry, and not just because she used her platform to tell her readers that anyone who stands up for hateful beliefs should be respected. Sure, those two things are pretty bad. But the shameful part of Hill’s piece is that, in her quest to lift up this bigoted man, she used even more faulty logic and poorly realized arguments than Tyree did in his original anti-equality video.

I won’t rehash the details of her column here; You can read them at ESPN.com. Suffice it to say, she says we should all respect people like David Tyree, and I guess Fred Phelps too, because he so fervently sticks to his beliefs that God hates gay people. Heck, I’m sure her office is covered with posters of Jefferson Davis for sticking by what he believes despite a war erupting around him!

Hill asserts that Tyree has the right to say whatever he wants. First Amendment! First Amendment! The thing is, no one disagrees with that. I haven’t heard anyone say he should be arrested for his comments. I haven’t heard anyone say he’s overstepped the law. No one has argued Tyree doesn’t have the First Amendment right to say he thinks gay people should be treated as second-class citizens, and even GLAAD would defend his right to say it.
The writer is as off his rocker as you. You can respect a person's right to be passionate in their beliefs w/o agreeing with them. Maybe that's why the writer says, "I won’t rehash the details of her column here; You can read them at ESPN.com", because if he did quote Ms. Hill, his narrative would fall to pieces.

And since when do you give a rat's ass about how the LGBT community is treated? Based on what I've gathered from your writings, over time, I would think you agree with David Tyree whole-heartedly:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamsser View Post
No gay gene has been discovered. I think it is more about the way a person is raised. It is more nurture than nature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamsser View Post
Gay male designers in the fashion industry need to stop perpetuating anorexia on the female models. R I P.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamsser View Post
Gun manufacturing is one of the few manufacturing jobs that hasn't been outsourced to China. Eliminating gun manufacturing will hurt the American economy.
(Though not LGBT-related, I just threw this last one in, because it's so indicative of your warped sensibilities.)
So, do you feel your views above should be respected? If so, then what's the point of your post? That's all the woman was saying. You're just posting anything you can find to denigrate her, whether you're bothered by it or not, like most of what you post.

Believe it or not, I'm actually interested in knowing your thoughts on the letter posted in the OP? If you choose not to share them, I'll assume you're in full agreement with the writer's intent, and I respect that.
__________________
chanda · venus (7) · serena (17) · na · ana · vera


JN is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 11:49 PM   #27
country flag Williamsser
Lifetime Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,260
Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute Williamsser has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jemelle Hill ESPN commentator twittered racist tweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dybbuk View Post
So you think making a (off-colored and inappropriate) joke
You call racist remarks "jokes"? Wow.
Williamsser is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #28
country flag dybbuk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 17,585
dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jemelle Hill ESPN commentator twittered racist tweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamsser View Post
You call racist remarks "jokes"? Wow.
LMAO DO NOT START THIS SHIT WITH ME. That was not racist. It had nothing to do with race of any sort. She didn't even speak of Jewish people or any race of any kind. It was a Hitler joke/comparison. Which WAS inappropriate especially since it was work-related, but it was not in any way racist. Do not even play that game with me. So again, she deserved to be called a gorilla because of an off-color remark?
dybbuk is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 12:01 AM   #29
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
 
JN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicity
Posts: 14,257
JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jemelle Hill ESPN commentator twittered racist tweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~{X}~tianuccio View Post
In my opinion... whoever wrote the letter is a dumbass and ignorant as hell for writing the letter.

And in addition if Jemelle Hill has both defended homophobic remarks from someone else and has said anti semitic things... well she is ignorant and a dumbass as well.

So clearly a lot of people in the situation past or present are ignorant and dumb as fuck.
If you're going to comment on what this stooge posts, please read it and at least skim any links he provides before doing so. Posters like Williamsser and plantman hardly ever read past the headlines of what they cut-n-paste, and 99% of the time the message they intend to convey is nowhere to be found and instead comes back to bite them on the ass. Like Fox "News", they count on you, their audience, to not bother to verify what they say.

What's anti-semitic about saying the comparing of Hitler to a victim is ludicrous? And what's homophobic about respecting a homophobe's right to having his/her views? Williamsser is useless, and IMO, the only reason to address him is for reasons of ridicule.
__________________
chanda · venus (7) · serena (17) · na · ana · vera



Last edited by JN : Jan 5th, 2013 at 12:39 AM.
JN is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 12:22 AM   #30
country flag ~{X}~
Senior Member
 
~{X}~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: In The N.Y.C.
Posts: 18,247
~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute ~{X}~ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jemelle Hill ESPN commentator twittered racist tweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN View Post
If you're going to comment on what this stooge posts, please read it and at least skim any links he provides before doing so. Posters like Williamsser and plantman hardly ever read past the headlines of what they cut-n-paste, and 99% of the time the message they intend to convey is nowhere to be found and instead comes back to bite them on the ass. Like Fox "News", they count on you, their audience, to not bother to verify what they say.

I read her article, she said she wasn't defending or dismissing his comments but she accepts his remarks. So that's like saying... if someone said something racist... and someone wrote an article accepting that person's right to say those racist comments... does it make it right? No.

And I stand by what I said in regards to the person who wrote that letter in relation to her, they are a dumbass and ignorant, there is no need to write something like that, ever.
__________________
SERENA 17 GRAND SLAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CLIJSTERS 4 GRAND SLAMS!!!!
~{X}~ is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios