Why Do Players Say "I Have Nothing To Lose"? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 4th, 2013, 06:33 PM   #16
country flag The Dawntreader
La Divina Assoluta

The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why Do Players Say "I Have Nothing To Lose"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by young_gunner913 View Post
Says an online drama queen.
Come on now, we're all girls here.
The Dawntreader is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 4th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #17
country flag Mistress of Evil
mean-spirited, vicious bitch witch

Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by young_gunner913 View Post
Says an online drama queen.
Exactly, it takes one to know one. Hence I am fully competent to recognise fellow drama queens. And in my opinion, Renochka is one.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 06:42 PM   #18
country flag darrinbaker00
Serena's #1 Hater

darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dawntreader View Post
Come on now, we're all girls here.
No, we are not.
"He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." -- Proverbs 18:22

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." -- Herb Brooks

"A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali
darrinbaker00 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #19
country flag Miss Atomic Bomb

Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute

Because thats how the feel. But obviously the people on here a better judge of how a player should feel about her chances in a match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
No, we are not.
I agree. But it seems like we are the only few men left here.

Miss Atomic Bomb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #20
country flag cn ireland

cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future

It's psychological as it takes the pressure off.

Twitter: @NoelDoyle4
cn ireland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #21
country flag Alexander18

Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future

As mentioned before, it relieves the pressure put on Serena to win. No matter her ranking, Serena is "expected" to win every match she plays. No one likes the feeling of being expected to win because it boils down to two outcomes.

1) She wins the match.
- Not very exciting, she was expected to win and she did.
2) She loses the match.
- Major upset, you should have won but you didn't.

Serena likes to make herself feel like she needs to work for her wins. And as long as there are players ranked above her, I think she will keep saying this when playing them.

That being said, I wish her luck in the final.
Alexander18 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #22
country flag Stonerpova
`

Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute

For Serena it's a way to taunt her opponents, for everyone else it takes some pressure off (most players sound like they're trying to convince themselves that it's true). Either way it boils down to mind games.

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/5492/maria1y.pnghttp://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4647/xk7s.png
Sharapova Ivanovic Jankovic Pavs Wozniacki Wickmayer Goerges Cetkovska Vaidisova
Tweet. Tumble. Blog.

Stonerpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #23
country flag Rest Maria!

Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pling View Post
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011...tova-wimbledon

....the old cliche that Kvitova will have nothing to lose was quickly shot down by the 21-year-old. "Of course I have something to lose," she said. "I'm going on the court for the win and not to lose, for sure. I'm staying positive. I am not nervous and I am looking forward to tomorrow. I just have to play my best, try 100% and then I can win."

The headline
Rest Maria! is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 07:17 PM   #24
country flag Potato

Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute Potato has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's the right mentality. If you enter a match thinking that you have everything to lose, you will play with so much more pressure. We see how Serena plays when she's pressured... she's not like Graf who played better thinking she had everything to lose. By telling herself that there's nothing to lose, she will play freely and just have fun. Just like how people come up with their best shots when they're down 40-0, it's because they have nothing to lose, they just go for it. It's a good mentality for the real world as well... how in the world are you going to handle failure if you always think you have everything to lose?
Potato is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #25
country flag DeucesAreWild

DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future

It may be an overused annoying cliche but what does it really matter? If it somehow gives an athlete a way to release tension or pressure more power to them.
DeucesAreWild is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #26
country flag Little Dreamer
テニプリ

Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute Little Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
Players as in Serena?

And because they don't have much to lose, a match is a match and no matter what if they're successful they still have multi-million dollar deals behind them. It's also a tension releaser because in tennis things build up VERY quickly so unless you have a way to release it you'll end up like Vera Zvonareva
Little Dreamer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #27
country flag Wintermute

Wintermute has a reputation beyond repute Wintermute has a reputation beyond repute Wintermute has a reputation beyond repute Wintermute has a reputation beyond repute Wintermute has a reputation beyond repute Wintermute has a reputation beyond repute Wintermute has a reputation beyond repute Wintermute has a reputation beyond repute Wintermute has a reputation beyond repute Wintermute has a reputation beyond repute Wintermute has a reputation beyond repute

You get the impression that when the players get on the tour they are given some sort of WTA public relations handbook with all these useless phrases in there.

Although it's not as bad as "I'm just going to go out there and enjoy myself".
Wintermute is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #28
country flag Iblis

Iblis has a brilliant future Iblis has a brilliant future Iblis has a brilliant future Iblis has a brilliant future Iblis has a brilliant future Iblis has a brilliant future Iblis has a brilliant future Iblis has a brilliant future Iblis has a brilliant future Iblis has a brilliant future Iblis has a brilliant future

It's a clichè, I don't mind.
Iblis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 07:48 PM   #29
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Because now that Elena has retired, they all have lost virginity.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 07:52 PM   #30
Royals.

Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by calabar View Post
OK I get it. When you are an underdog, chances are you are going to lose. But that is a phrase I've heard by players who are both favorites and underdogs. I've also heard players who are part of a team use this rather SILLY phrase. Bear in mind that these are all PROFESSIONAL athletes claiming they have "nothing" to lose. How about your damn PRIDE? Isn't that enough to get one motiviated? If you really have nothing to lose, then what is the point of competing? Can you even call it "competing" when you take this attitude onto a court or whatever the sporting venue might be? Venus and Serena are my two favorite female athletes of any sport, and it really pisses me off to hear Serena (in particular) or any athlete uses this dumb, defeatist phrase before a professional match.
Anyone else feel this way?

Outta here.