Most Over-rated/Over-hyped players on this forum - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 10:35 PM   #31
dragonflies

dragonflies has a reputation beyond repute dragonflies has a reputation beyond repute dragonflies has a reputation beyond repute dragonflies has a reputation beyond repute dragonflies has a reputation beyond repute dragonflies has a reputation beyond repute dragonflies has a reputation beyond repute dragonflies has a reputation beyond repute dragonflies has a reputation beyond repute dragonflies has a reputation beyond repute dragonflies has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Most Over-rated/Over-hyped players on this forum

IMO, every single player on this board used to/ has been overrated, over-hyped in some ways at one point or others. From comments on here last year, Angie Kerber has been touted as one of the Slam contenders. I think she is playing at her peak now with her limited games. That would only allow her to get in the second week of a Slam ( when things went her way she got to the SF). And I liked Angie until recently ( I'm a great player/ flashing number one sign consistently in the match/ pouting, cry baby when losing).

Some other notable cases are Kvitova ( early last year), Radwanska, Hingis, Peak Pierce.
dragonflies is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 10:40 PM   #32
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

It's pretty tough in the sense of the forum. Because most players are heavily polarised between they're amazing and going to win majors or they're crap between their fans and the oppositions fans (Radwanska, Wozniacki, Lisicki, Goerges instantly come to mind). Probably at the start of last year, Kvitova was the most overhyped as there was a wide spread belief she was going to dominate the tour. In the UK, most our players are ridiculously overhyped, Robson going to be breaking top 10-20 this year and winning majors within a couple of years, you see multiple majors for her etc. If you believed our media, you would believe there are no other talented youngsters coming through.

Another thing I feel is overrated/over-hyped isn't a particular player at all. It's this supposed theory that the WTA tour is so wide open, and anyone can win the big majors mentality. It makes me tear my hair out everytime Eurosport or the like say "there will be 15-20 players in the dressing thinking they can win" or talking about how "in womens tennis, it's always so wide open that a wide number of players could potentially win". Do people still believe this really? This was true a couple of years ago. But this is still being used and bandied around in the context of the Australian Open in 2 weeks. The reality is the womens draw is arguably less wide open than the mens draw is, which is unanimously agreed in the media normally as not open at all.

On a side note there seems to be a lot of people saying Azarenka here. I could kind of understand if she was getting hyped as ATG. But she doesn't as far as I see around. So how is the 2nd best player on tour so average as people are claiming (talking in a relative sense to the tour now, not in historical sense)?

Last edited by ozza : Jan 3rd, 2013 at 10:50 PM.
ozza is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 10:42 PM   #33
country flag Third Mall

Third Mall is a splendid one to behold Third Mall is a splendid one to behold Third Mall is a splendid one to behold Third Mall is a splendid one to behold Third Mall is a splendid one to behold Third Mall is a splendid one to behold Third Mall is a splendid one to behold Third Mall is a splendid one to behold Third Mall is a splendid one to behold Third Mall is a splendid one to behold Third Mall is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlicznie View Post
How surprising of you to see the ones you disklike being mentioned
You're so predictable, yet you never stop amusing the rest of us with your illogical posts

Also, what you wrote is complete bullshit.
Who should we see as a contender for a Major if not current world number one and already a Slam champion?
Besides Sarin, the Shrieking Razor and Vika(all appeared at least twice in the major finals last year) who shall we consider to be the most likely winner.....frickin' Pliskova or sth?
She beat the crap out of your fave almost as much as Sarin last year sweetie making her so mich awesome......just kidding or you know what?, actually no.
And she's still only 24. Don't tell me she doesn't have a shot at passing Hingis or Davenport in terms of the Slams count.....just bitch please

Secondly, you couldn't even justify your opinion on Aga or maybe you didn't bother to try to do so/doing some research, being so concencrated on portrying her in a negative perspective. Furthermore, I don't think she's overhyped on TF in first place. Show me a poll with Aga being voted 1-5 favourite to win a Slam. Just because she's said to have won fucking Auckland already doesn't mean she's overhyped for God's sake.

Third Mall is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 10:47 PM   #34
country flag Third Mall

Third Mall is a splendid one to behold Third Mall is a splendid one to behold Third Mall is a splendid one to behold Third Mall is a splendid one to behold Third Mall is a splendid one to behold Third Mall is a splendid one to behold Third Mall is a splendid one to behold Third Mall is a splendid one to behold Third Mall is a splendid one to behold Third Mall is a splendid one to behold Third Mall is a splendid one to behold

As some people have already said, players are basically overyped by their fans so the more fans they have on here, the more they'll be overhyped (except Serena - because it's kinda impossible to overhype her).

To me (not being on this forum for long at all) the most overhyped player among tennis fans in general seems to be Kvitova. Lisicki can be too but she can be a very good player. Robson is becoming overhyped because people are jumping on the USO bandwagon (it was only the 4th round, right?). Don't get me wrong Robson has great potential but alot of young players in the past have achieved more by her age and faded away.
Third Mall is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 10:49 PM   #35
country flag $uricate
Step to this. I dare you.

$uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy01 View Post
Hantuchova - Her fans and so many on here would have you believe she should have been a multiple slam champion. The 'if she had a brain' thing wore thin about 5 years ago.

She is so unathletic it is painful, movement wise she is on par with davenport. Her record against the elite of the game is as piss poor as anyone will find from a former top 5 player.

Even if she is mentally weak (which I don't believe, she just loses at the crunch as most other players can run down that extra ball and make that extra play) being mentally strong is as important as a forehand or backhand or serve. So if we are saying things like 'if she had a brain' you might as well say 'if x player had serena's serve'.

She is your average top 20 player who lucked out winning IW twice and the rest of her career is beyond average.
I thought you were cool.

Now I know you're not.

You're a Chak fan ffs.

PopCon 2013.
$uricate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 10:54 PM   #36
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazzac View Post
In tennis, you often get players who are hyped to the moon by everyone, but you don't see what the big deal is. You often get players who are rated higher than you think they should be.

So which players are over-rated or over-hyped on this forum in your opinion?

Explainations to back up your arguments would be good
That's easy.

Melanie Oudin was by far the most over-hyped of the decade.

She had a very nice Qtr-final run during the 2009 US Open...shocked a few players, and some people took it as a sign of sheer greatness to come.
People went freak'n nuts with all the "BELEIVE" garbage and over rated her potential.
Ever since 2009, she's lost in the first round during her next 8 of 12 slam appearances.
So many (commentators, sports journalists, casual tennis fans...) tried to make her out to be some type of new life-form.
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer

Last edited by RVD : Jan 3rd, 2013 at 11:04 PM.
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 10:55 PM   #37
country flag sammy01

sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by $uricate View Post
I thought you were cool.

Now I know you're not.

You're a Chak fan ffs.
I am cool, Dani just isn't that good, neither is Chak, I've dealt with it maybe you should to

Kim Clijsters - Supporting the comeback!

I have no other faves, I just hate

Follow me on twitter, I talk lots of shit about tennis - https://twitter.com/#!/Sammyb01
sammy01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 10:57 PM   #38
country flag Wiggly

Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute

Vekic is nothing extraordinary but she has an excellent PR team.
Most of the Germans are overhyped.
Wiggly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 10:58 PM   #39
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

hype and rate are not replaceable words.
C. Drone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 11:00 PM   #40
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Mall View Post
As some people have already said, players are basically overyped by their fans so the more fans they have on here, the more they'll be overhyped (except Serena - because it's kinda impossible to overhype her).

To me (not being on this forum for long at all) the most overhyped player among tennis fans in general seems to be Kvitova. Lisicki can be too but she can be a very good player. Robson is becoming overhyped because people are jumping on the USO bandwagon (it was only the 4th round, right?). Don't get me wrong Robson has great potential but alot of young players in the past have achieved more by her age and faded away.
This in part is the UK media are desperate to make Robson their new media darling and have been ever since she was 14. This the same media who were claiming she could have possibly gone all the way in that US Open. Sky Sports during that run were saying you would hope she would be top 10-20 this time next year. Clearly way overboard.
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 11:01 PM   #41
country flag sammy01

sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
This in part is the UK media are desperate to make Robson their new media darling and have been ever since she was 14. This the same media who were claiming she could have possibly gone all the way in that US Open. Sky Sports during that run were saying you would hope she would be top 10-20 this time next year. Clearly way overboard.
Tbf top 20 is very doable for most top 50 players right now. Look at Vinci she is basically top 20 on great scheduling.

Kim Clijsters - Supporting the comeback!

I have no other faves, I just hate

Follow me on twitter, I talk lots of shit about tennis - https://twitter.com/#!/Sammyb01
sammy01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 11:04 PM   #42
country flag Miss Atomic Bomb

Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute

Hingis, Pierce, Golovin, Hantuchova, Jankovic, Sharapova, Sabine (I love her to bits but just no), Kvitova, Robson (same as sabs), Goerges, Oudin (not anymore I guess) and Ivanovic.

I actually like half of them.

Miss Atomic Bomb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 11:11 PM   #43
country flag ozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy01 View Post
Tbf top 20 is very doable for most top 50 players right now. Look at Vinci she is basically top 20 on great scheduling.
Yer true. But it was more the tone of the way she's built up. You get the sense right now, it's a disappointment if she doesn't win several majors if you believed the hype.

I think in general it's the streaky hot players who tend to get overrated. On the back of their hot weeks, people get caught up into they can keep this up forever. But they never tend to, at least not overnight. And with some eg. Lisicki you just get the feeling it's so hit and miss that it's never going to have any consistency.
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 11:13 PM   #44
Viktymise
King

Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't everybody think that Goerges is overrated, even though nobody seems to rate her all that highly?
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 11:23 PM   #45
country flag MashaAzarenka

MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future MashaAzarenka has a brilliant future

Definitely Julia Goerges. I love her but she's just a mess of a player.
MashaAzarenka is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote