AO 2013: The Bridesmaid-Bride Double. The Sequel. - Page 127 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 08:12 PM   #1891
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute
Deep down, it doesn't really matter if we're scared of Serena, or to another loss in a major final.
What matters is that Maria will do her very best to reach the final wether Serena is there or not and if she loses to her she will suck it up and come back stronger to finally defeat her.

Yes it's frustrating to see her losing to Serena again and again but if only Serena can stop Maria, Maria won't let that chance to play her go away.
doomsday is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 08:25 PM   #1892
country flag effedcamel

effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future
Re: AO 2013: The Bridesmaid-Bride Double. The Sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
Deep down, it doesn't really matter if we're scared of Serena, or to another loss in a major final.
What matters is that Maria will do her very best to reach the final wether Serena is there or not and if she loses to her she will suck it up and come back stronger to finally defeat her.

Yes it's frustrating to see her losing to Serena again and again but if only Serena can stop Maria, Maria won't let that chance to play her go away.
This. I'd never want Maria to show signs of being a quitter and true push over by avoiding meeting Serena. It's a much more damning thing for her legacy to avoid Serena knowing she'll lose than if she continues to hunt opportunities for that one instance where she may take her down again.

It's the difference between someone who is a tenacious, resilient champion and while those losses will sting us, she will be remembered as someone who gave her all in the face of bad odds rather than someone who jsut folds.

Although that OG match and her tearing up will blight that
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 08:34 PM   #1893
country flag Fiercepova
4ever ♥ Wonder Girls

Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future

I don't care of Serena at all right now. I mean I just want Maria to win the semi against Li and get to that final stage first. It really doesn't matter if she may get another beatdown or whatever, going to the final and getting the runner-up trophy is much better than losing in a semi. Truth is I tried to tell myself before Maria's semi against Vika last year that, even if she lost, at least I could be happy that Maria wouldn't have another beatdown to Serena in the final, but hell no, I was angry and depressed as fuck after that semi loss.

I'm sure that Maria herself really wants to have another go at Serena (and many more to come) until she finally gets that long wait win.
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 08:45 PM   #1894
country flag Trih

Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18majors View Post
The post count on this thread is way down from 2012 RG thread even though Maria is no less dominant.

Either fans have grown used to Maria's successes, or are aprehensive about a potential loss to Serena in the final.
It's just because we posted so much in it after the victory
Trih is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 09:07 PM   #1895
country flag GrandMartha

GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute

She was so average today. She needs to up her game a few notches if she wants to go further. And this reminds me of some slams where she played lights out tennis in the first few rounds and then her level dropped as the tournament progressed. This might be the case again
As for which loss is better, I'd choose the one to Serena. I never consider losses to Serena are embarrassment simply because Serena is the better player. But I'm still fuming about her losses to Kvitova, Azarenka, Wozniacki...Those losses were beyond embarrassing.
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 09:31 PM   #1896
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future

I'm glad that even though 2013 AO is down to no more than 2 matches for Maria, that all top players will gather again to play Qatar Total Open, a P5 event, in Doha starting February 11.
18majors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 09:41 PM   #1897
country flag Fighterpova

Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future

Quote:
I'm glad that even though 2013 AO is down to no more than 2 matches for Maria, that all top players will gather again to play Qatar Total Open, a P5 event, in Doha starting February 11.
Maria and Serena probably wont play
Fighterpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 09:42 PM   #1898
country flag Fighterpova

Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future

Though I'd love to see them, that would make the best edition of Doha ever
Fighterpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 09:46 PM   #1899
country flag TrollPova
Don't Be A Hater, Dear

TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The post count on this thread is way down from 2012 RG thread even though Maria is no less dominant.

Either fans have grown used to Maria's successes, or are aprehensive about a potential loss to Serena in the final.
It's weird...maybe because the French Open came at a time after Maria suffered some tough losses leading up to it to the likes of Azarenka/Serena/Radwanska so the stakes felt higher and the desperation was greater. It was also the one she hadn't won yet so we were all really excited about that finally happening and the history she made by doing so.

This tournament also seems to be flying by so fast (no thanks to Maria ) and we're more used to Maria achieving consistent SF/Final results
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 09:54 PM   #1900
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighterpova View Post
Maria and Serena probably wont play
Don't know about Serena but Maria probably will play, otherwise she will carry another 0 pointer all through 2013.
18majors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 09:56 PM   #1901
country flag Kitten63

Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreiter View Post
It's weird...maybe because the French Open came at a time after Maria suffered some tough losses leading up to it to the likes of Azarenka/Serena/Radwanska so the stakes felt higher and the desperation was greater. It was also the one she hadn't won yet so we were all really excited about that finally happening and the history she made by doing so.

This tournament also seems to be flying by so fast (no thanks to Maria ) and we're more used to Maria achieving consistent SF/Final results
Yep. RG was the longest two weeks of my life.

Anna Chakvetadze Petra Kvitova Jelena Jankovic Nicole Vaidisova Svetlana Kuznetsova Dinara Safina Elena Dementieva Vera Zvonereva Nadia Petrova Marion Bartoli Samantha Stosur

0663...Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Federer Gasquet Djokovic Youzhny Berdych Ancic Soderling
Kitten63 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 10:31 PM   #1902
country flag Pops Maellard
Quiche

Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighterpova View Post
Yes, I'm serious I'm tired of her losing so many finals and we know she obviously has no chance vs Serena. It must be frustrating if you try hard, practice hard and give it your all plus you're playing your best and still can't have a chance at winning a set vs a player even though you're 2nd on the WTA list!
This. Put me also in the "I'd rather she lost in the semis" camp . The possibility of a near-repeat of AO '07, AO '12 or Olympics '12 is too painful to think about. It could also be more damaging to Maria's confidence than losing in the semi.

I get the other way of thinking too but yeah...

Maria
Venus
ANA
Petra
Pops Maellard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 10:50 PM   #1903
country flag gc-spurs

gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

There is an AO Chat thread for non-Maria related matches, we probably spammed the FO with other matches.

Bring on all the pretenders. Someday, WE WILL BE REMEMBERED
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliversmith View Post
oudin is a great player she already beat maria i expect to do the same now
btw whos bolivia smith?
gc-spurs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 10:55 PM   #1904
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc-spurs View Post
There is an AO Chat thread for non-Maria related matches, we probably spammed the FO with other matches.
True it's at around 100 posts. I think the Euro swing is busier anyway, not as disruptive to the Europeans and a lot of people are off on study leave by the time RG comes around. Plus people just love clay/grass as we look at hard courts for the rest of the year.
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 10:59 PM   #1905
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gociku View Post
She was so average today. She needs to up her game a few notches if she wants to go further. And this reminds me of some slams where she played lights out tennis in the first few rounds and then her level dropped as the tournament progressed. This might be the case again As for which loss is better, I'd choose the one to Serena. I never consider losses to Serena are embarrassment simply because Serena is the better player. But I'm still fuming about her losses to Kvitova, Azarenka, Wozniacki...Those losses were beyond embarrassing.
I agree with that. I think Maria's results in this tourney have more to do with how god-awful and pathetic her opposition has been rather than brillant tennis from Maria. And I think Maria herself knows it. That's why she's wanted no part of celebrating the few number of games she's dropped. She was great in the first 3 matches, but I've seen familiar flaws returning again in the last 2. Serve % dropping, DFs increasing. And I was disappointed in her movement against Makarova. It seemed like every time she got Maria on the move and stretched out, Maria lost every one of those points. I was hoping to see Maria having the ability to steal more of those kinds of points from time to time. It can be such a boost for her and demoralizing for her opponent.

We're going to learn a lot about the state of Maria's game with her performance against Li in the semis. I really hope she looks sharp because I'm starting to get 2012 Aussie vibes with her. She started strong and slowly got worse as the tournament went on and had nothing for Vika in the final. Same thing in the US Open. Great start, then those 2 awful marathons agains Petrova and Bartoli, and ultimately wilted against Vika. And again at 2011 Wimby. Awesome quarterfinal against Cibulkova, then horrible semi against Lisicki, and that carried over to the finals loss.

But then you had Stuttgart where Maria got better and better, leading to the Vika beatdown in the final. Same thing at the French. Other than the 4th round hiccup, she was dominant throughout. That's what I want to see from Maria. Building her execution, precision, and confidence.
Mexicola is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote