YEC: Why NOT Inlcude a 3rd Place Match On Final Day - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 25th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #1
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute
YEC: Why NOT Inlcude a 3rd Place Match On Final Day

To make thing interesting, they could schedule a 3rd place match between the 2 losers of the SF.
That match can take place on final day as an opening act.

The prizes will be adjusted accordingly, between finisher 3 and 4.
So when all is set and done we have a clear 1, 2, 3 and 4.

This will be like the Olympics.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 11. 2013
Next Update Date: Post 2014 RG
Live Stream, football, tennis, etc.. : http://www.sportlemon.tv/
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 25th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #2
country flag iGOAT

iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: YEC: Why NOT Inlcude a 3rd Place Match On Final Day

That would be very interesting actually. They should do that as a warm-up for the final.

They also should be more clever scheduling the RR matches. We now have Empress-Heerrani as a dead match in terms of group standings and who advances, whereas if that had been played earlier NaNa-Vika would've mattered regardless.

My number one:
VICTORIA AZARENKA
Heart of a Champion
17 titles and counting
iGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #3
Petkorazzi

Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute Petkorazzi has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the matches are scheduled right with the top two playing on the final day, I doubt anyone expected Vika to lose to JJ. And even so, had Vika won today vs Na, JJ vs Errani would have been a great match with pressure being totally on JJ.
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 05:30 PM   #4
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGOAT View Post
That would be very interesting actually. They should do that as a warm-up for the final.
It would be satisfying for the 3rd place player to end the competition with win and a sense of accomplishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGOAT View Post
They also should be more clever scheduling the RR matches. We now have Empress-Heerrani as a dead match in terms of group standings and who advances, whereas if that had been played earlier NaNa-Vika would've mattered regardless.
They should try to create suspense in scheduling to create anticipation.

Old Oct 25th, 2013, 05:32 PM   #5
country flag JUst4FuN

JUst4FuN is a glorious beacon of light JUst4FuN is a glorious beacon of light JUst4FuN is a glorious beacon of light JUst4FuN is a glorious beacon of light JUst4FuN is a glorious beacon of light JUst4FuN is a glorious beacon of light JUst4FuN is a glorious beacon of light JUst4FuN is a glorious beacon of light JUst4FuN is a glorious beacon of light JUst4FuN is a glorious beacon of light JUst4FuN is a glorious beacon of light

Nice Idea !!! I m for that !!
Nasty*****Mattek-Sands ****** Venus ******* Giorgi ****** Jabeur ****
Bojana****Petko*****Aga***** Ula***** !!
Good Luck Jelena !!!
JJ Back in Top 8 !!!!!
Next : Top5 and GS Title !!!!!
JUst4FuN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 05:32 PM   #6
country flag Alexander18

Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future Alexander18 has a brilliant future

I'm not sure if the players would be interested.

From my understanding, their goal is to win, so playing for third may not interest them. It's not the same as the prestige of playing for a Bronze medal in the olympics as you mentioned.
Alexander18 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 05:34 PM   #7
country flag Wiggly

Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander18 View Post

From my understanding, their goal is to win, so playing for third may not interest them. It's not the same as the prestige of playing for a Bronze medal in the olympics as you mentioned.
Especially as the last match of the season, they wouldn't care. Serena, Maria and Vika would be too proud to play it anyways.
Wiggly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #8
country flag tennisbum79

Quote:

You don't think it matters to player where they finished, how much money they get, and how many points they pick up in the process?

I don't think all players had a realistic expectations of winning the final, some are there to gauge where they stand against the other 7.

To me, that is enough incentive to lure the players to play for a 3rd place match.

As for prestige, it does not get build overnight, it realized over years of tradition.

Old Oct 25th, 2013, 05:43 PM   #9
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

The only reason to do this would be as a bit of extra filling for finals day. I can't imagine anybody being very motivated to play for third prize in a contest like this.
stromatolite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #10
country flag PeterWarne

PeterWarne is a name known to all PeterWarne is a name known to all PeterWarne is a name known to all PeterWarne is a name known to all PeterWarne is a name known to all PeterWarne is a name known to all PeterWarne is a name known to all PeterWarne is a name known to all PeterWarne is a name known to all PeterWarne is a name known to all PeterWarne is a name known to all

I think this is an interesting idea. I think a 3rd place play-off would work much better at YEC than at the Slams.

I do think though that it would be really important to sound out the players. A would think that a lot of the top players would not be interested, but maybe not. I don't know so thats why it would be great to know what they think. In the Olympics there is still a bronze medal to win for your country.

Another factor is crowds. Would enough turn up early or stay late for the match? Don't want to see a match better 2 players who aren't exactly desperate to finish 3rd playing in front of a luke warm, 1/3 filled stadium.

Some sports have got rid of 3rd Place play-off, there is no play-off in European Championships anymore.
PeterWarne is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #11
country flag SHILIN-GOAT

SHILIN-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute SHILIN-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute SHILIN-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute SHILIN-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute SHILIN-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute SHILIN-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute SHILIN-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute SHILIN-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute SHILIN-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute SHILIN-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute SHILIN-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute

there is no need for it as it would take away attention from doubles final
Tennis Tipping GOATS - HAOCHEN-GOAT SHILIN-GOAT
Tennis Tipping Golden Flower GOATS - GoofyDuck Imperfect Angel M.P longtin23 silverwhite
Tennis Tipping Non-Chinese Faves - Adrian. AYUMI-GOAT coolfish1103 Frederik Igorche kfh_9118 Michael! MikBs Mike. peanuts valac222
SHILIN-GOAT is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #12
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe they should. I would probably watch, unless it was two I-don't-care-anymore players. After all, what would they be playing for? The money is already fantastic, and you still have players struggling to will themselves to care about dead rubbers in the RR part of the tournament.
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #13
country flag AcesHigh

AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute

Because there is no 3rd place in tennis. There is one winner and a bunch of losers.

I doubt anyone would be motivated to win. It would just be an exhibition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
When will you learn that "pushers" never make it past the club level, let alone #1 on the WTA computer? Will it be too late?
AcesHigh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #14
country flag tennisbum79

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
The only reason to do this would be as a bit of extra filling for finals day. I can't imagine anybody being very motivated to play for third prize in a contest like this.
Even if prize money and points are at stake?

I can speculate that players who come in the competition with rank 7, 8 (or alternates) will be happy to play for 3rd place, not only for the money and points, but also to see how they measure up compared to others. Some athletes want to see their personal best

Old Oct 25th, 2013, 05:57 PM   #15
country flag Marlene

Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

This.

You can already see how the players can hardly find the motivation to play dead rubbers in the RRs, even though they get 230 pts and $140k for a win. (E.g. Radwanska yesterday, Stosur last year, Azarenka and Sharapova two years ago).
Marlene is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote