Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 95 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2013, 12:30 AM   #1411
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
I don't actually think it has been a better start than 2012 really. She will actually go into her next event having collected less points at this point this year than she had last year having played 1 event more (Brisbane), and probably having beaten on average better players last year. In reality I don't think there is too much to separate them. The biggest concern I have is at this point last year she didn't feel that far from the top group of players. Right now, she feels a long way away from challenging the top group of players.

I do find it hard to believe though that her clay and grass court season can possibly go as bad as last year.

Yeah i see your point, i just said 2013 a little better do to the fact she made the final at IW, I hope her Clay season & Grass Season is better than last year as well hopefully she can gain some points there, If i right she don't have that many points too defend at the next 3 slams as well so hopefully she get it together & make so deep run here & there

S. Stephens | M. Keys | A. Riske | C. Vandeweghe | J. Hampton | T. Townsend | V. Duval | S. Vickery | S. Crawford

L. Chirico | Cici. Bellis |T. Black | H. Black | J. Daniel | M. Gordon | S. Kenin | W. Osuigwe | M. Shishkina | G. Faith Andrews
Trey is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 26th, 2013, 01:13 AM   #1412
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
If losing to Pervak, Wang, Muguruza, and Kuznetsova twice doesnt wake her & her team up, then what will?
Similar comment, maybe with different names, has been made over these last almost 2 years now ... We can only conclude, they are all very heavy sleepers.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 03:56 AM   #1413
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
Not necessarily. Na Li, Sam Stosur and Vera Zvonareva all played their best tennis after the age of twenty-five. Of course Caroline had much more success early in her career and could be completely different than them. It is unlikely that she will get much better later in her career but it is possible.

Hmm, that makes me wonder if we could construct some kind of graph or pie chart to illustrate her decline and what she needs to do to fix her game. Maybe if she had it laid out to her in that way it would be easier for her to understand?

Wow, Petkovic and Kerber kind of look themselves but Lisicki looks...off...and the first one, that can't be Goerges, can it? Perhaps the wrong picture was used? Or is there an up and coming German player that I am unfamiliar with?
Zvonareva plays the most similar to Caro of those players and she started fading in the year she turned 27.

I think given Caro's playing style and all the tournaments she plays/has played, I don't see her playing that well at close to 30 (if she's still on tour). Her style of play is very physically demanding with all the contant running and she wins few easy points. It's probably a mental grind as well. Would Caro still want to be constantly chasing down shots when she's close to 30 assuming that she's still physically capable of doing so at a high level?

By the time Caro's 30 (assuming she's still playing), Caro will have lost a step or two and when that happens it'll pretty much be it for her as some sort of top player unless they've made a big change or improvement in her game to compensate for that.

What sort of things should she see on such a display? The drop in her ranking? # of bad losses? Various stats that have dropped?
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 06:49 AM   #1414
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Zvonareva plays the most similar to Caro of those players and she started fading in the year she turned 27.

I think given Caro's playing style and all the tournaments she plays/has played, I don't see her playing that well at close to 30 (if she's still on tour). Her style of play is very physically demanding with all the contant running and she wins few easy points. It's probably a mental grind as well. Would Caro still want to be constantly chasing down shots when she's close to 30 assuming that she's still physically capable of doing so at a high level?

By the time Caro's 30 (assuming she's still playing), Caro will have lost a step or two and when that happens it'll pretty much be it for her as some sort of top player unless they've made a big change or improvement in her game to compensate for that.

What sort of things should she see on such a display? The drop in her ranking? # of bad losses? Various stats that have dropped?
And given how family-oriented Caroline is--apparently insisting that no one but her dad is capable of coaching her--it wouldn't surprise me if those attitudes translated to desires for her OWN family(i.e.,motherhood).If I live to see Caro still playing competitively at age 30,I'll look back on these days in her TF fan group and laugh a bit at how unexpected it all was

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Descansa en paz, Pedro Armendariz--OTRA victima de la incompetencia del hospital IMSS
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 10:25 AM   #1415
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
Yeah i see your point, i just said 2013 a little better do to the fact she made the final at IW, I hope her Clay season & Grass Season is better than last year as well hopefully she can gain some points there, If i right she don't have that many points too defend at the next 3 slams as well so hopefully she get it together & make so deep run here & there
I don't see her 2013 so far to be bad. I was trying to speculate about why she keeps having these random losses to someone we would expect her to beat pretty easily. This year overall has been a sign of progress and now Caro has a big chance to do really well. Clay and grass are not her best surfaces so it will be a big challenge.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #1416
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Progress? 8 tournaments, she won one QF. Remember, IW Vesnina & Petrova played nowhere near their best. I saw Nadia blow Caro away to end last year, she's way off that form this year.
Then a walkover, then Kerber, who also is in a huge slump this year. Then Sharapova blew her off the court.
I'd say Caro's best tournament of the 8 was Dubai, because at least she didnt get blown away by Petra.

But this start, on her best surface, doesnt bode well for ever being top 4 or a slam contender again
She lost to Pervak, Sveta twice, Wang, Muguruza. Thats 5 bad losses in 8 tournaments. She beat one YEC player, kerber, who hasnt had a good 2013 at all. She's in as much trouble as Caro now, as far as YEC goes.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 11:24 AM   #1417
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Well, you're a numbers guy, right? I was mostly joking but it might be interesting to construct various graphs showing the decline in various parts of her game. I'm just guessing but I believe that her serve, return and backhand have all gotten worse. She's also probably making more errors now and dropping her opening serve too often. Her tiebreak record and three set record are also probably declining. If someone had access to all of the data (which is unlikely) it might be interesting to see how she is doing in various areas. Are any parts of her game improving (there has to be something she is doing well)? Has she stabilised or is she getting worse? It might be easier to tell if those things were laid out in a graph.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #1418
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Caro is about to enter that part of the season where she can make up a lot of ground if she has some decent results. Even if she would do just the minimum we could expect of her - last 16 at the FO and Wimbledon and a QF at the USO plus a few deep runs in other events where she beats the players she should beat it would already make a world of difference.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 11:34 AM   #1419
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Caro is about to enter that part of the season where she can make up a lot of ground if she has some decent results. Even if she would do just the minimum we could expect of her - last 16 at the FO and Wimbledon and a QF at the USO plus a few deep runs in other events where she beats the players she should beat it would already make a world of difference.
Yeah, if she can get good results now, it would be a good sign. But a lot of players, like Sveta, Ana, Nadia, Errani, Vinci, many others, are better on clay. Caro is better on hardcourt.
So she is going to have to do more than whatever she was doing in Miami, which none of us saw

Old Mar 26th, 2013, 12:46 PM   #1420
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about the rest of you but I was hoping that she would build a fairly solid base in the first three months of the season. At Indian Wells she exceeded my expectations but she could have done much better in Melbourne and Miami. The big events, especially those on a hardcourt, are where she can really pick up lots of points. For the next few months it will be important that she does well in Rome/Madrid/Roland Garros/Wimbledon. I'm not expecting any finals, even a semi would probably be expecting too much, but if she can make some quarters and avoid losing early she should do herself some good as far as the YEC in concerned.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 01:47 PM   #1421
country flag goldenlox

I was hoping she would have tried to keep her late season run from 2012 alive when 2013 started. But that ended first match.
Then she said she was motivated again, and since then lost to Wang & Muguruza.
So I think her career is in deep trouble. And you can hear from what Davenport says, people in tennis media want to say she was never any good, that she played a lot in a soft era.
They only way she can defend against that is to make herself relevant again.
Everything we've seen for 2 years makes it look like her being relevant will be a very difficult struggle for her. And it should have started with the Pervak match. hard to imagine it will happen on clay or grass

Old Mar 26th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #1422
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
And you can hear from what Davenport says, people in tennis media want to say she was never any good, that she played a lot in a soft era.
Everything we've seen for 2 years makes it look like her being relevant will be a very difficult struggle for her. And it should have started with the Pervak match. hard to imagine it will happen on clay or grass
Are those critics whom you refer to saying that she wasn't ANY good--or merely that Caro wasn't as good as her ranking??

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Descansa en paz, Pedro Armendariz--OTRA victima de la incompetencia del hospital IMSS
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #1423
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

Will she be playing Charleston this year ?

S. Stephens | M. Keys | A. Riske | C. Vandeweghe | J. Hampton | T. Townsend | V. Duval | S. Vickery | S. Crawford

L. Chirico | Cici. Bellis |T. Black | H. Black | J. Daniel | M. Gordon | S. Kenin | W. Osuigwe | M. Shishkina | G. Faith Andrews
Trey is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #1424
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
Will she be playing Charleston this year ?
Not unless she requests and receives a late wildcard, which seems unlikely.
ozza is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #1425
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
Not unless she requests and receives a late wildcard, which seems unlikely.
Do you think that Charleston would grant one IF Caroline asked for it,or would they tactfully refuse?

Closed Thread