Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 91 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2013, 08:55 AM   #1351
country flag CWTennis

CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Caro's schedule, Charleston is listed as TBD!
Quote:
Kalender

07-01-2013 Sydney
14-01-2013 Australian Open
04-02-2013 Qatar
11-02-2013 Dubai
04-03-2013 Indian Weels
18-03-2013 Miami
01-04-2013 Charleston (TBD)
22-04-2013 Stuttgart
06-05-2013 Madrid
13-05-2013 Rome
27-05-2013 French Open
17-06-2013 Eastbourne (TBD)
24-06-2013 Wimbledon
22-07-2013 Stanford (TBD)
29-07-2013 Carlsbad (TBD)
05-08-2013 Toronto - Rogers Cup
12-08-2013 Cincinatti
19-08-2013 New Haven (TBD)
26-08-2013 US Open
16-09-2013 Korea Open (TBD)
23-09-2013 Tokyo
30-09-2013 Bejing
14-10-2013 Moskva (TBD)
21-10-2013 Istanbul (TBD)
http://carolinewozniacki.e-boks.dk/p...9-5ad84951b764

You got yourself some haterZ
Hope they choke on Now and Laters™

Last edited by CWTennis : Mar 24th, 2013 at 09:28 AM.
CWTennis is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 24th, 2013, 09:26 AM   #1352
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
She's going to have to do a lot better than last year. In 2012 she beat Serena in Miami, lost to Maria 46 in the 3rd. Then Copenhagen final. It looked like she might be turning it around. Then awful clay & grass spring/summer.
This Miami might be her worst hardcourt mandatory result in years. She has a reesult like she's ranked 50.

I think her career is in big trouble. Its very Jankovic-like, and this is for 2 years now.
She's fallen into a situation where other players expect her to be a soft seed, and she's not doing enough to change that.

I cant think of any players who were in the top group, fell way off it for years while healthy, then got back to the top group.
I dont see Ivanovic or Jankovic getting back there. And as years go by, Caroline isnt showing that she can do it either.
I think she had better take this situation very seriously. Its a deep hole to climb out of.
Although she just about held on to a spot in the top 10, Caroline didn't really play top ten tennis for most of 2012. It was only made possible because of her high ranking which meant that she avoided the best players early on in tournaments. But the further she goes down the more difficult her draws will become. But even lower ranked players don't fear Caro anymore. On the contrary, they look forward to playing her because she still has the name but not the game anymore. It's a bit like in boxing when everyone all of a sudden wanted to fight the likes of a Mike Tyson or Roberto Duran when they were way past their prime. Even though they were only a shadow of their former selves they were still interesting names to add to the W column of your resume.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 11:23 AM   #1353
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWTennis View Post
Caro's schedule, Charleston is listed as TBD!

http://carolinewozniacki.e-boks.dk/p...9-5ad84951b764
Hold on a second. That lists her as maybe playing Moscow? Yet I thought she was already confirmed for Luxembourg the same week. It also doesn't have that she started the season in Brisbane, so how reliable really is it? That summer schedule would be incredibly intensive too.
ozza is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #1354
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
Tbf from what we have seen recently Caro's "offensive game" doesn't seem to be in that bad a shape. She's never going to be an offensive player, but when she is able to get on the offensive (mainly off short balls) she looks to be playing her best tennis (right now). It's the defensive side of her game that has heavily declined. Lots of bad errors, a lack of length on her shots making her easier to attack. The problem is she is going to be on the defensive in a lot of her matches, because she doesn't have a big strike on serve or return to get on the offensive from the start of a point, so her defensive frailties are highlighted. I really don't think the solution for Caro is to go for more winners, I just can't ever see it being the basis for her game.

It's mathematically possible for to still get top 8 for the French Open, but realistically it's not going to happen. As things stand she is 1465 behind Petra in 8th who is out, but she like Caro has very little to defend prior to the French Open. And is 1475 behind Sara in 7th, but she is still in the tournament so this will be more probably by the end of Miami. She would have to be winning either Madrid or Rome and posting SFs+ at her other 2 clay court events to even have a chance. She is probably going to be struggling to get into the top 8 until after Wimbledon earliest tbh.

She could get a wildcard for Charleston, but I have no idea if she would ask for one.
Why has her defensive game declined so much?

The lopsided scoreline is rather bothering to me in comparison to Muguruza's other recent results. It's also pretty rare for Caro to have lopsided scorelines in losses in consecutive hard court tournaments.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 11:32 AM   #1355
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Can't understand what she was doing on court yesterday to lose 2-6 4-6 to #73 ranked player!
Saying she's motivated and actually being motivated are 2 different things.
Its easy to say it, but her career is in big trouble.
This is a player who was #1 for over a year (and recently) and she's on outside courts taking a beating from a noncontender. Starting down 1-5. This is a hardcourt mandatory. A place where she can get some points.
She's played 8 tournaments in 2013, all on her best surface, and only got thru the noncontenders to reach a YEC level player in 3 of 8 tournaments.
Now she goes to clay & grass, where even at her old glory days, she had to struggle to get thru noncontenders
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 12:14 PM   #1356
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Why has her defensive game declined so much?

The lopsided scoreline is rather bothering to me in comparison to Muguruza's other recent results. It's also pretty rare for Caro to have lopsided scorelines in losses in consecutive hard court tournaments.
Impossible to know. That is the million dollar question. She probably doesn't even know the answer herself as to why her strokes let her down on nothing shots. I would have said maybe it's technique letting her down during periods of low confidence, but that only really would apply to the forehand, and tbh her backhand makes just as many bad errors in matches as her forehand does.

Without seeing the match it's impossible to even know what went on. I read a report on GM from someone (who it's probably worth noting is a Garbine fan) who says pretty much Garbine hit Caro off the court, and Caro was very helpless to do anything. Comes across as strange. Garbine is obviously very much a player on the rise, with very big potential, but just from the scoreboard it never really felt like Caro got into the match. I didn't think it was that surprising she couldn't get into the match vs Maria Sharapova, but vs Garbine it's very much surprising that she seemingly made no impression whatsoever.
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 12:18 PM   #1357
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute

do you think she'll ask for a WC in Charleston then? I think she should and get a few matches on that fast clay before heading to the true dirt (even though, real slow clay isn't there anymore, since Stuttgart is like a HC where you can slide and Madrid is probably the fastest shit of the tour next to Bali)

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 12:44 PM   #1358
country flag CWTennis

CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Saying she's motivated and actually being motivated are 2 different things.
Its easy to say it, but her career is in big trouble.
This is a player who was #1 for over a year (and recently) and she's on outside courts taking a beating from a noncontender. Starting down 1-5. This is a hardcourt mandatory. A place where she can get some points.
She's played 8 tournaments in 2013, all on her best surface, and only got thru the noncontenders to reach a YEC level player in 3 of 8 tournaments.
Now she goes to clay & grass, where even at her old glory days, she had to struggle to get thru noncontenders
I don't know what is going on with her! She said that she feels like she found her game/is motivated again, but I really wouldn't say that she is playing any better this season, yes she made the final in Indian Wells but can we really say that she played great tennis there, I don't think so!

Old Mar 24th, 2013, 01:03 PM   #1359
country flag ozza

Quote:
I don't know what is going on with her! She said that she feels like she found her game/is motivated again, but I really wouldn't say that she is playing any better this season, yes she made the final in Indian Wells but can we really say that she played great tennis there, I don't think so!
It depends what she is accepting as success. If she truly thinks she's playing top 5 (and especially top 3) tennis she is kidding herself. I mean was it prior to Australia she said something like her goals this year were to win a grand slam and get back to the top 3 (something like this?), really those right now those are just pipe dreams rather than attainable goals. But it's really hard to know what she really thinks because every loss is just met with the same "my opponent was too good today, I look forward to next week" attitude in the press.

It's really hard to see things getting better on the clay for her. Just looking at those ranked above her, on hard court there are some you think/expect her to beat. On clay she probably starts as outsider vs every single one of them. And that is without getting into that she tends to be a lot more vulnerable on clay.

Whatever happens, for me she just absolutely has to make Istanbul this year. It's looking like the top 5 are pretty much locks (barring injury), Errani is going to be pretty difficult to overcome, so it may even be 6 certainties. That leaves 2 spots for several players to fight for. If Caro doesn't make Istanbul this year, it becomes really hard to sell the fact you are making any progress at all.
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 01:12 PM   #1360
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think she played a good and tactically clever match against Kerber. But the main reason why we were so happy with IW I think was not so much that her overall playing level had gone up, but that she seemed to have gotten over that bumb that saw her end up with the short end of the stick in far too many close matches. I thought, or at least hoped that she had turned a corner and that with her newly found confidence would come better results as well. But we had moments like that as far back as in Miami last year when she beat Serena and we thought, "yes! She's back in business!" And everytime it's been a case of taking one step forward and two steps back. It's not a huge problem to have the occassional loss to a lowly ranked player, it can happen to the best of them. But when what would two years ago have been a surprise is no longer a surprise she has a problem.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 01:25 PM   #1361
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

One small positive is that she already has a win over a top ten player. Last year it was not until the end of September that she accomplished that. So, that's something. I guess.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 01:41 PM   #1362
country flag ozza

Every story has 2 sides to it though. Last year at this point she seemed a threat to the very top players. Right now she seems no threat to them whatsoever. And at some point there has to be a face up with reality, and not just a positive spin putting paper over the cracks.
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #1363
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Last year she beat Serena & lost 46 to Maria in Miami.
Thats better than beating Kerber, who looked like she had back problems that match.

What I liked from Dubai & IW were her effort level. She was running down balls, starting well.

I didnt see the losses to Wang & Muguruza.
We should all pay attention to her effort level on clay. Starting down 1-5 on clay, she'll have trouble beating anyone
But the way she's been playing, she might not be on tv courts on clay
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 01:51 PM   #1364
country flag Saraya!

Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute

What I saw this year - at least nothing to count for a former #1...Caroline 2013 is a big dissapointment again. Lucky final in IW, she would never reached it if Azarenka played...no improvement, no focus..at least she is #10 and she will stay between #8 - #12 ..so sad.

Jelena Jankovic - Empress of WTA

Serena Williams - Simply Serena; simply the best!
Saraya! is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 02:45 PM   #1365
country flag CWTennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
It depends what she is accepting as success. If she truly thinks she's playing top 5 (and especially top 3) tennis she is kidding herself. I mean was it prior to Australia she said something like her goals this year were to win a grand slam and get back to the top 3 (something like this?), really those right now those are just pipe dreams rather than attainable goals. But it's really hard to know what she really thinks because every loss is just met with the same "my opponent was too good today, I look forward to next week" attitude in the press.
I really hate this type of talk! You can't have this attidude when your goal is to win a grand slam! Oh, you know, my opponent, who's ranked # 73 by the way, was just too good today , wtf, that's not how champions think & talk! I really can't imagine her saying this 2-3 years ago! But times (and her) has changed, it looks like she doesn't belive in herself and her game anymore!
About making YEC, it won't happen if she keeps losing to lower ranked players!
Her clay/ grass season most likely will be disaster, because with her serve and ue's count, I can't see her beating many players!

Closed Thread