Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 82 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2013, 10:41 AM   #1216
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
Hmm, then what do you think would work with a player like Sharapova? Net approaches? Lobs? I wonder how did Aga beat her last year in Miami and how the heck she achieved to win a set with just one winner there
I don't really have a magic solution for what would work for Caro vs Maria. My biggest fear for Caro going into the final is it seems to be her defensive capabilities that have declined the most, for whatever reason she just cannot put in a rock like performance atm. Caro has able to put in higher winners recently because she was being able to get on the front foot, I couldn't see how she was going to do that vs Maria, and unfortunately it pretty much played out that way. Yesterday you had an example of Caro barely want on the offensive in the entire match, which isn't necessarily terrible but if you are doing that you can't be gifting 19 unforced errors in 16 games (albeit I can think of 1 of these that did come off her going on the front foot in one of the few times she played a well constructed point and then missed the smash ), you have to be giving your opponent nothing in both unforced errors and length.

With regard to Radwanska vs Sharapova I haven't watched that match recently to have it too refreshed, but what comes to me is that Radwanska was able to keep the match close consistently, she kept scoreboard pressure on Maria, which she wilted under in both sets at the end. Caro simply was putting no doubt in Maria's mind at all. Part of this was down to Maria, she was worse in Miami, she returned awfully that day, but I would imagine without actually being able to prove it that Radwanska also kept a better length making it a lot harder to attack her.

The solution is Caro has either got to find away to get on the front foot in rallies vs the very top players, or she has got to get back her rock like consistency from the back of the court and be making single digit unforced errors in matches like this. The worry would be she hasn't really put in a day of that sort of consistency from the back of the court in a long time.
ozza is online now View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 18th, 2013, 10:45 AM   #1217
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
Does that take into account that Stosur has withdrawn?
Unless Miami's twitter is lying it will use the seeds from 2 weeks ago (it doesn't actually matter for Caro because she will still be #9, it will just make me look less of a fool if this is totally wrong ).

#1 Serena Williams
#2 Victoria Azarenka
#3 Maria Sharapova
#4 Agnieszka Radwanska
#5 Na Li
#6 Angelique Kerber
#7 Petra Kvitova
#8 Sara Errani
#9 Caroline Wozniacki
#10 Marion Bartoli
#11 Nadia Petrova
#12 Ana Ivanovic

Caro would need another withdrawal from a top 8 seed before Tuesday's start of play to get bumped up to a top 8 seed.
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #1218
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not worried about Miami seed. I want to see Caro in 5-8 at US Open. That she is motivated again means she can look long term. In 3 or 4 years Serena will be about 35, Maria around 30.
Caro should be better in 3 years. The kind of little improvements she could have made if she didnt lose her mental edge 2 years ago.

It will all come down to the serve. Players like Dementieva, Jankovic, Safina, could not hold serve at the biggest moments.
Caroline has to hold her serve more often against a player like Maria.
That was true 3 years ago and true now. Its 2 steps: get thru the noncontenders (which is not easy), then play your best the last 2 rounds.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #1219
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
The solution is Caro has either got to find away to get on the front foot in rallies vs the very top players, or she has got to get back her rock like consistency from the back of the court and be making single digit unforced errors in matches like this. The worry would be she hasn't really put in a day of that sort of consistency from the back of the court in a long time.
Yep. Even at the Sharapova board many agree with me that one of the main differences between Caro now and Caro back then is that now she makes far too many UE on routine rallying shots while in the past she used to be "infuriatingly consistent."

Caroline Wozniacki

Maria Sharapova, Li Na, Agnieszka Radwanska, Sorana Cirstea

Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 11:27 AM   #1220
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Yep. Even at the Sharapova board many agree with me that one of the main differences between Caro now and Caro back then is that now she makes far too many UE on routine rallying shots while in the past she used to be "infuriatingly consistent."
Thats true. One of the reasons she won is that her opponents knew it would be a 3 hour battle, and that is discouraging.
But Maria's plan might work against 2011 Caro. Go for the big shots as soon as possible every rally. You have to be 'on' to be successful, but Caro wasnt going to have long rallies the way Maria played.
Thats why holding serve is so important. Serena has 15 majors because of her serve. At the FO she has 1 title. Thats because her serve is more returnable.
I like how she played against Petra and Kerber. I'm not against a few more errors as long as Caroline understands how important it is to not gift away too many points
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #1221
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
I agree, the consistency is now the missing ingredient in Caro's game. It's slowly coming back but at the key points she still can't avoid making errors. In a match against Kerber it took her unbelievably long to convert the game point for 4-3. It was like a 17 minute long game, I was certain she'd lose it.
She cannot afford to do this against Maria because she is not going to gift her as many errors as Kerber did.

And that's another thing - errors. She wasn't effective in making Maria commit enough of them. In the past she knew how to force the opponent to self-destruct but in the final yesterday she just couldn't. And Sharapova is a type of player who can be made to do that. Against Vika and Aga she tends to make lots of errors and then mentally 'collapse'. I think that to win against a player like her Caro needs to simulate those two and their strategies more. She'll never beat Sharapova trying to play aggressively, she'll make far too many errors and not enough winners. So, the only way left is to somehow outsmart her and mix it up.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 01:47 PM   #1222
country flag Trey

Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
I don't really have a magic solution for what would work for Caro vs Maria. My biggest fear for Caro going into the final is it seems to be her defensive capabilities that have declined the most, for whatever reason she just cannot put in a rock like performance atm. Caro has able to put in higher winners recently because she was being able to get on the front foot, I couldn't see how she was going to do that vs Maria, and unfortunately it pretty much played out that way. Yesterday you had an example of Caro barely want on the offensive in the entire match, which isn't necessarily terrible but if you are doing that you can't be gifting 19 unforced errors in 16 games (albeit I can think of 1 of these that did come off her going on the front foot in one of the few times she played a well constructed point and then missed the smash ), you have to be giving your opponent nothing in both unforced errors and length.

With regard to Radwanska vs Sharapova I haven't watched that match recently to have it too refreshed, but what comes to me is that Radwanska was able to keep the match close consistently, she kept scoreboard pressure on Maria, which she wilted under in both sets at the end. Caro simply was putting no doubt in Maria's mind at all. Part of this was down to Maria, she was worse in Miami, she returned awfully that day, but I would imagine without actually being able to prove it that Radwanska also kept a better length making it a lot harder to attack her.

I agree I think she need a both really, to get back her consistency again but also have an Offense mind set, She going have go for her shots and take her chances, can't always wait for error
Trey is online now View My Blog!  
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 03:06 PM   #1223
country flag rucolo

rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute

Caroline

Sharapova was simply too strong. Weak serving from Caroline. To reach Indian Wells final was great, but have to say Caroline was lucky Azarenka withdrew. I don`t think she would have beaten her. Close matches against Kerber and Cornet. I have to say I was not impressed by Caroline`s tennis at Indian Wells. I still think she is far away from her best form, not satisfied with the level of her play. Caroline must improve her serve. The positive thing this week to me was her attitude, her fighting spirit.

Good Luck
Serena Williams Maria Sharapova Jelena Jankovic
A. Radwanska V. Zvonareva C. Wozniacki N. Petrova M. Hingis
T. Paszek A. Chakvetadze K. Sprem J. Dokic I. Tulyaganova A. Myskina
GNTM 2014 !
rucolo is online now View My Blog!  
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #1224
country flag ozza

It's worth noting the TV schedule in Miami could be an even bigger mess than Indian Wells. Miami like Indian Wells are only scheduled to televise 4 WTA matches a day (unless this has changed). That will make it even worse when you consider Serena and Venus are absolutely nailed on certainties to be televised. Caro could be quite far down the pecking order early on .
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 03:18 PM   #1225
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone happen to catch Caro's post-match interview yesterday?Post-defeat interviews...heck,even post-VICTORY ones...are rarely profound,but I'd have liked to hear what Caro said and checked out her body language.However,the gallegos who run the WTA site had trouble uploading the video,apparently,so it kept yielding an 'error' message and the vid was eventually removed when Gomer and Goober couldn't fix it

Semi-retired tennis fan praying for a Culture of Accountability from the Pathetic Enabler, the WTA

Am working on a device that would translate cat meows to human languages
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #1226
country flag Hoergren
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Did anyone happen to catch Caro's post-match interview yesterday?Post-defeat interviews...
Look in VIDEO section last page - you'll find both
Hoergren is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 03:41 PM   #1227
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoergren View Post
Look in VIDEO section last page - you'll find both
Thanks,Hoergren,but it was 'error page' all over again when I clicked on it.Stacy Allaster's inbred cousins just moved off a rural farm at the start of this year,and they have tremendous difficulty just using a keyboard for the first time...in fact,they had never even SEEN a keyboard until 2 months ago(at first,they thought it was some sort of sandwich and they tried to EAT it).So,doing hard stuff like uploading Caro's interview correctly,is just mentally overwhelming to them

EDIT: If you click on one of the featured drop-downs when you go to the video heading,then you can open Caro's interview vid and see it.If you try to click on it from the vertical listings on the 1st page,then you'll get the error message

Semi-retired tennis fan praying for a Culture of Accountability from the Pathetic Enabler, the WTA

Am working on a device that would translate cat meows to human languages

Last edited by bruce goose : Mar 18th, 2013 at 04:00 PM.
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 04:01 PM   #1228
country flag ozza

Caro is seeded to play Na Li in the 4th round and Serena Williams in the quarters.
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 04:04 PM   #1229
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

Caro's Miami draw
1R: Bye
2R: Hradecka or qualifier
3R: Pavly
4R: Li Na
QF: Serena
SF: Aga
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 04:15 PM   #1230
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute

quite much of an hard draw but I think she can do really well

PS i've just finished my IW review on my blog, if you are interested have a read here: http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it/20...s-back-to.html

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is online now View My Blog!  
Closed Thread