Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 79 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2013, 09:41 PM   #1171
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
What's the point? She'd be lucky to win a set against most of these players.
so let's hope she loses early and doesn't make it to Istanbul?

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 17th, 2013, 09:43 PM   #1172
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Sharapova wont give Caro any time to construct a point. Its like Miami last year, both matches. She had a great serving day against Serena. Not against Maria.
She missed the over head when she could have kept the 1st set close. She had ad at least twice at 2-4 in the 2nd.
Against players like Maria, things happen fast. You cant have long rallies, because she's going to blast any ball she can into a corner. Thats why serve is vital. Today she didnt have it.
Despite the figures - I actually thought her serves were better today than against Kerber. I do think her serve is an achilles heel over all her matches and particularly her 2nd serve which is why I think she'd benefit from a serve coach. I don't think it was a particular "todays" problem.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 09:45 PM   #1173
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Kiri was able to get Sharapova on the move a lot and made good use of her down the line shots.
Caro gave her serve away too much. I liked a lot of what I saw in Dubai and this week. I think she can finish this year 4-6, and get in the top 4 maybe early next year.
But Serena & Sharapova, and probably Vika wont allow her to set up points in rallies.
Against Maria she's going to hitting hard shots in the corner. You cant have long rallies like that.
But I thought it was a close match until the overhead miss. Then she had 2 bad service games in a row and it was panic time.
She just wasnt going to win the way she served.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 09:48 PM   #1174
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
Agression planing? She beat Sharpie at the uso with deep agressive groundies mixed with topspin junk... Drove Maria to despair...

We need the groundies back, on the lines, and with weight...

She used to win by forcing errors, not waiting for them... Right now she can't trust her range which is a huge issue when try to put the pressure on.

The worst I could accuse her of is being awair of the issues and limitations of her current form.
That victory of which you speak took place a good 18 months before the disastrous start to 2012,but I can agree with the rest of your post above,especially the part about Caro's forcing errors.....As for post #1170...no comment

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Opening Soon: The Allaster-Stubbs-Amanmuradova Academy of Feminine Grace and Charm
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 09:49 PM   #1175
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
Despite the figures - I actually thought her serves were better today than against Kerber. I do think her serve is an achilles heel over all her matches and particularly her 2nd serve which is why I think she'd benefit from a serve coach. I don't think it was a particular "todays" problem.
I'll watch it again. I thought she served poorly after the over head miss and 1st game of 2nd set. Sharapova forces a 1st strike situation. So does Serena. They go for too much to have rallies.
Its all about the serve when she plays the big 3.
When Caro served with with ads at 2-4 in set 2, its absolutely crucial she gets a good 1st serve in. The difference between Sharapova sitting down at 43 or 52 is huge

Old Mar 17th, 2013, 09:50 PM   #1176
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There is a point though. You're only going to get better by testing yourself against the best. Today was a wake up call to how much further she really has to go if she wants to be a contender again. It's not like she is going to get closer to the best by winning say Kuala Lumpur (hypothetically because she didn't anyway).
ozza is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #1177
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Your pessimism always kicks into overdrive after Caro losing a match. She just beat Kerber. She beat Li in their last match. She has never lost to Barthel. She hasn't faced Errani in years so there's no need to automatically assume she'll lose that encounter, etc.
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 09:58 PM   #1178
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'll watch it again. I thought she served poorly after the over head miss and 1st game of 2nd set. Sharapova forces a 1st strike situation. So does Serena. They go for too much to have rallies.
Its all about the serve when she plays the big 3.
When Caro served with with ads at 2-4 in set 2, its absolutely crucial she gets a good 1st serve in. The difference between Sharapova sitting down at 43 or 52 is huge
While I agree her serve is a key component that hinders her, there is more to it than that. Take away the serving stats today and she still almost certainly would have lost. 2 winners - 19 unforced errors is unlikely to ever cut it vs the top 3, with stats like those you are pretty much just hoping they have a 2/10 day (unlikely).
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #1179
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. W. Fields View Post
Your pessimism always kicks into overdrive after Caro losing a match. She just beat Kerber. She beat Li in their last match. She has never lost to Barthel. She hasn't faced Errani in years so there's no need to automatically assume she'll lose that encounter, etc.
It's DownInAHole's fault...he hasn't been doing a good job of carrying his share of the burden of being gloomy around.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #1180
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
There is a point though. You're only going to get better by testing yourself against the best. Today was a wake up call to how much further she really has to go if she wants to be a contender again. It's not like she is going to get closer to the best by winning say Kuala Lumpur (hypothetically because she didn't anyway).
Bingo, that's something that became a rare thing even when number 1 being that the so called top 4 struggled to go deep. Caro ended up honing her game against Vera more often than not.
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #1181
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
While I agree her serve is a key component that hinders her, there is more to it than that. Take away the serving stats today and she still almost certainly would have lost. 2 winners - 19 unforced errors is unlikely to ever cut it vs the top 3, with stats like those you are pretty much just hoping they have a 2/10 day (unlikely).
Maria outplayed her, thats for sure. But their last 4 matches were either close, or Caro winning big.
I tend to think Maria was very ready for this and Caro just had too average a serving day. Fell behind a break both sets. Her normal game wont work against maria unless she can win a few points with her serve. If Caro's always running into corners to retrieve, Maria's too good for that.
We'll see in Miami. She needs a rest now, because she really was competing hard and its draining

Old Mar 17th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #1182
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sharapova was better today, so Caro went as far as she could this tournament.
Now she should take a few days off to physically recover. Its not a disgrace to lose to the #2 player.
She just wasnt serving well enough to keep the match close.
Overall, her effort level was excellent, and she needs a break before Miami. Against a top 3 player, like in Miami last year, she has to serve well, and she did not today
Next we'll see the draw.
That's basically it in a nutshell I think. Still, it's pretty obvious that she's playing better than she was 12 months ago, so that's a positive. But it's also true - and todays match has confirmed it - that there's a significant gap now between the top three and arguably Li Na when she is on and the rest of the field at this point and it will take a superhuman effort from Caro to close it.

Thank you LI NA
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #1183
country flag ozza

Quote:
Maria outplayed her, thats for sure. But their last 4 matches were either close, or Caro winning big.
I tend to think Maria was very ready for this and Caro just had too average a serving day. Her normal game wont work against maria unless she can win a few points wither serve. If Caro's always running into corners to retrieve, Maria's too good for that
We'll see in Miami.
I also tend to think Caro has got worse and Maria has got better in that time frame though. Let's look at the facts away from her service games. She only created 2 break points today, and didn't take either. The chance of Caro winning a match where she doesn't break her opponent once are pretty much as good as 0%. Maria was winning 86% of points behind her first serve, and 70% of points behind her second serve. Those stats suggest Caro's problems today went a lot deeper than her serve.

For reference, even in Miami last year Caro was able to break Maria 4 times, and created 8 break points.
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 10:21 PM   #1184
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Caro's winners and unforced errors against Sharapova:

2010 US Open: 16 winners, 10 unforced errors
2011 Indian Wells: 6 winners, 18 unforced errors
2011 Rome: 15 winners, 20 unforced errors
2012 Miami: 15 winners, 27 unforced errors
2013 Indian Wells: 2 winners, 19 unforced errors
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 10:27 PM   #1185
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

She was totally outplayed today. I think she lacks confidence on big stages, she did little to trouble Sharapova. I don't know where has the fight from yesterday disappear but today she just did not mix things up much. No moonballs, one measly dropshot, no lobs, no nothing. Just metronomic ballbashing which is what Sharapova likes.
I didn't expect her to win today but I'd certainly expected a better fight from Caro. She just lacked it today and gave in quite easily.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread