Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 78 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2013, 09:02 PM   #1156
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

She did make a big final (her first in exactly two years!) and she defeated a top ten player, so there are definitely big positives. I'm withholding judgement until after Miami. It seems unlikely that she would have made the semis if Azarenka had played and she had that inexplicable loss in Kuala Lumpur. It is really tough to gauge where exactly her game is at.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 17th, 2013, 09:03 PM   #1157
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Sharapova was better today, so Caro went as far as she could this tournament.
Now she should take a few days off to physically recover. Its not a disgrace to lose to the #2 player.
She just wasnt serving well enough to keep the match close.
Overall, her effort level was excellent, and she needs a break before Miami. Against a top 3 player, like in Miami last year, she has to serve well, and she did not today
Next we'll see the draw.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #1158
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Couldn't get a good livestream,but none of you at Livescores seemed to think that Caro looked particularly poised out there today.In the back of her mind,Caro knows that Sharpie was quite a bit weaker back when Caro beat her,and a loss like today's won't have Sunshine feeling too confident whenever the NEXT big matchup with a top player occurs.I agree with those who say that this was a nice fortnight,overall,yet we're going to keep seeing this same brick wall whenever Caro faces an elite player,unless that player is injured or sick....or Caroline just plays out of her mind that day
Mindreader? Didn't thinp so... She knows what she needs to do...
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #1159
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

Caro moves up a spot in the rankings so she'll be no. 9 when they do the Miami draw tomorrow. If any of the top 8 are going to pull out of this tournament, I hope they'll do it before the draw ceremony. It's much nicer if Caro's seed 8 rather than 9 so she won't be facing a higher ranked opponent already in R16.

Edit: The tournament site says they'll use the March 18 rankings for the draw but some seem to believe it'll only be for the men while they'll use the 'old' rankings for the women!?

Last edited by C. W. Fields : Mar 17th, 2013 at 09:13 PM.
C. W. Fields is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #1160
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Sharapova was better today, so Caro went as far as she could this tournament.
Now she should take a few days off to physically recover. Its not a disgrace to lose to the #2 player.
She just wasnt serving well enough to keep the match close.
Overall, her effort level was excellent, and she needs a break before Miami.
Next we'll see the draw.
Rest is good... It was this double header that started the hiccup in her progress.

I agree re serve, but more important than that, she needs to find her feel and range again... That's where she managed to build pressure against Sharpie and Petra in the Past...
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 09:09 PM   #1161
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
She did make a big final (her first in exactly two years!) and she defeated a top ten player, so there are definitely big positives. I'm withholding judgement until after Miami. It seems unlikely that she would have made the semis if Azarenka had played and she had that inexplicable loss in Kuala Lumpur. It is really tough to gauge where exactly her game is at.
we can't complain and even though she looked quite hopeless in that final, it's also true that at the moment Caro can't do much against a too inspired Masha (or Petra), because they can hit through her attempts to slow down the rallies too well and she doesn't have an effective slice or the power to withstand an "armstrong" rally.
Still she could get her way to the final and finally defeated a top 10er whose last matches with were all losses.
ATM I think she can only win with Angie and Stosur regularly out of the top 10, but she needs to get to face them steadily in order to improve and take advantage whenever the draws fall apart like she did this week

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is online now View My Blog!  
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 09:17 PM   #1162
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

It pretty much confirmed what I thought that Caro still has a long way to go to get back the consistency she once had. She's managed to grit away recently finding different ways to win than she would have from her peak, mainly through taking the initiative more than she would have in the past and getting on the front foot. I did fear that she wouldn't be able to do that today. She either needs to get back her rock like consistency where she literally gave her opponents nothing, or find a way to take the initiative vs the very top players, otherwise you are just hoping they have a heavily off day.

Maria obviously played well today, but she had it easy in the sense there was never any real pressure on her. It was a train to victory from start to finish. You never know how someone may play if the scoreline is kept close, unfortunately Caro could never really force any scoreboard pressure on Maria at all today.

There are many positives to take from the week though. The main one being she seemed to have her competitive edge back, the way she found a way to win vs Kerber was impressive. Now there needs to be more work on getting her actual game back if she's going to be a contender.
ozza is online now View My Blog!  
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #1163
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
Mindreader? Didn't thinp so... She knows what she needs to do...
Try not to be so hasty when typing a response on the keyboard;last time I checked,"thinp" wasn't a good English word.

Obviously,mindreading is a skill that has been limited to the occult world,but it's not an unreasonable deduction at all that Caroline might have some doubts when facing top players.I'll agree with you that she know what she needs to DO,in a general sense;I'm just not so sure that she or Piotr will choose the best manner to accomplish that.You can understand my doubts after the horrible aggression planning at the start of last year.Of course,any loyal fan would love to see Caroline regain her previous ranking grouping

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Don't you just love it when someone rambles aimlessly for 5 minutes and then says, "To make a long story short"?
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 09:27 PM   #1164
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
Rest is good... It was this double header that started the hiccup in her progress.

I agree re serve, but more important than that, she needs to find her feel and range again... That's where she managed to build pressure against Sharpie and Petra in the Past...
Sharapova wont give Caro any time to construct a point. Its like Miami last year, both matches. She had a great serving day against Serena. Not against Maria.
She missed the over head when she could have kept the 1st set close. She had ad at least twice at 2-4 in the 2nd.
Against players like Maria, things happen fast. You cant have long rallies, because she's going to blast any ball she can into a corner. Thats why serve is vital. Today she didnt have it.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 09:31 PM   #1165
country flag Burisleif

Agression planing? She beat Sharpie at the uso with deep agressive groundies mixed with topspin junk... Drove Maria to despair...

We need the groundies back, on the lines, and with weight...

She used to win by forcing errors, not waiting for them... Right now she can't trust her range which is a huge issue when try to put the pressure on.

The worst I could accuse her of is being awair of the issues and limitations of her current form.
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 09:33 PM   #1166
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

The race looks a lot better for Caroline now :-

1. Victoria Azarenka 3350
2. Maria Sharapova 2295
3. Agnieszka Radwanska 1905
4. Na Li 1880
5. Serena Williams 1590
6. Sara Errani 1580
7. Caroline Wozniacki 1467
8. Petra Kvitova 1226
=. Sloane Stephens 1226
10. Maria Kirilenko 1071
11. Mona Barthel 1070
12. Angelique Kerber 1052

I thought it was important Caro was in the top 8 in the race after Miami to be in good shape to make Istanbul, and it is looking likely she will be.
ozza is online now View My Blog!  
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 09:34 PM   #1167
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sharapova wont give Caro any time to construct a point. Its like Miami last year, both matches. She had a great serving day against Serena. Not against Maria.
She missed the over head when she could have kept the 1st set close. She had ad at least twice at 2-4 in the 2nd.
Against players like Maria, things happen fast. You cant have long rallies, because she's going to blast any ball she can into a corner. Thats why serve is vital. Today she didnt have it.
Kiri was able to get Sharapova on the move a lot and made good use of her down the line shots.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 09:34 PM   #1168
country flag Burisleif

Quote:
I agree, but a great serve won't do it on its own.

Bizarely it was only when Caro started having range issues that we had a resurgence of players on tour that you need it against.
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #1169
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
The race looks a lot better for Caroline now :-

1. Victoria Azarenka 3350
2. Maria Sharapova 2295
3. Agnieszka Radwanska 1905
4. Na Li 1880
5. Serena Williams 1590
6. Sara Errani 1580
7. Caroline Wozniacki 1467
8. Petra Kvitova 1226
=. Sloane Stephens 1226
10. Maria Kirilenko 1071
11. Mona Barthel 1070
12. Angelique Kerber 1052

I thought it was important Caro was in the top 8 in the race after Miami to be in good shape to make Istanbul, and it is looking likely she will be.
What's the point? She'd be lucky to win a set against most of these players.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 09:39 PM   #1170
country flag Burisleif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
What's the point? She'd be lucky to win a set against most of these players.
I hope you don't mind if I politely asked you to F*** right O**
Closed Thread