Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 76 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2013, 11:03 AM   #1126
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
I very seriously doubt that any version of Caroline can "hit through Sharapova." Outsmart and/or outgrind her, perhaps. But Sharapova's shots are faster by far, so I think it would be a mistake to get into a ball bashing contest with her.
Then we will just have to agree to disagree. When Caro attacked in the match Vs Kerber, Kerber went side to side to side to side and got so many balls back. Pova won't be able to defend equally well.

But as I said, it will likely be a very different strategy for the F than the SF.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 16th, 2013, 11:42 AM   #1127
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that Caroline's (in)ability to hold serve is really going to hurt her against Maria. Even if Maria's double faults are in the double digits I don't think that it is going to hurt her as badly as it did at the 2010 U.S. Open and Indian Wells, 2011. If Caroline can hold her serve much better than she did against Kerber I think she has a good chance of winning but can she hold her serve? It seems unlikely against one of the more aggressive returners on the tour.

One good thing that could come from a loss, particularly if her serve lets her down, is that she might finally decide to really work on her serve and "fix" it. Maybe I am wrong and this is as good as her serve is ever going to be but with her body type I find it impossible to believe that she is not capable of greatly improving.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 11:58 AM   #1128
country flag poulao

poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of

There is only one way for Caro against hard hitters, and that's to not shy away from playing hardball at selected points in a match. I see Caro maturing into a more complete player now, so win or lose I hope she is able to give it her best.

Best of luck
poulao is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #1129
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post
Then we will just have to agree to disagree. When Caro attacked in the match Vs Kerber, Kerber went side to side to side to side and got so many balls back. Pova won't be able to defend equally well.

But as I said, it will likely be a very different strategy for the F than the SF.
I don't necessarily disagree with you. I only disagree if by "hitting through Sharapova" means getting involved into lots of exchanges with flat hard groundstrokes where they try to hit each other off the court. That's Sharapova's game. But yes - moving Sharapova from side to side, mixing up the pace and spins as much as possible, hitting some drop shots, coming into the net herself, occasionally going for a big groundstroke....anything to get Maria out of her rhythm.
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!  
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #1130
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
I believe that Caroline's (in)ability to hold serve is really going to hurt her against Maria. Even if Maria's double faults are in the double digits I don't think that it is going to hurt her as badly as it did at the 2010 U.S. Open and Indian Wells, 2011. If Caroline can hold her serve much better than she did against Kerber I think she has a good chance of winning but can she hold her serve? It seems unlikely against one of the more aggressive returners on the tour.

One good thing that could come from a loss, particularly if her serve lets her down, is that she might finally decide to really work on her serve and "fix" it. Maybe I am wrong and this is as good as her serve is ever going to be but with her body type I find it impossible to believe that she is not capable of greatly improving.
Yes - I agree with all of this. And that is why I'd like to see her get a really good serve coach. I know with the problems Caro has of putting all her trust in a coach and not Piotr. But a serve is so separate. It is the one shot that is not dependant on opponent's shot. So surely that should not interfere with what she gets and trusts from Piotr and I cannot see why that should cause any conflict in Caro's mind al all.

Having said that - it's not always just about the serve itself. I only actually watched the 1st 4 games of her match against Kerber. The 1st game of the match where Caro was on serve is instructive. She makes 2 bad UEs in the middle of a rally she just didn't make in her heyday to go 0-30. Then a great serve down the T that Kerber gets to but into the net: 15-30. Then another great serve wide to Kerber's forehand that she gets to and returns but can only get it midcourt and short. All the top players would have put that away. But Caro hits it out wide to Kerber's forehand where Kerber can get to it and Kerber hits a great forehand winner DTL. And now its 15-40 and Kerber has just won a point which Caro was in total control of from a really good serve.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #1131
country flag Saraya!

Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute

So happy, so proud!!!!!

Jelena Jankovic - Empress of WTA

Serena Williams - Simply Serena; simply the best!
Saraya! is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 01:38 PM   #1132
country flag jasminefu623

jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of

caro did a great job, she manage/handling herself well out there, even tho she got a bad start, but she didn't give up, from the full match(@youtube), i think the smash in 2nd set caro down 1-2 0-30 change the whole thing. never seen caro scream that loud when she smash, after that smash, her game level raise to another level.

hope she play a good final against sharapova
jasminefu623 is online now View My Blog!  
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 01:45 PM   #1133
country flag rucolo

rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute

Very good win over Kerber, Caroline !

Final vs Sharapova. Maria leads Head To Head 4-2. May the better player win

Good Luck
Serena Williams Maria Sharapova Jelena Jankovic
A. Radwanska V. Zvonareva C. Wozniacki N. Petrova M. Hingis
T. Paszek A. Chakvetadze K. Sprem J. Dokic I. Tulyaganova A. Myskina
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
rucolo is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 01:49 PM   #1134
country flag backhandsmash

backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute

Replay is on Tv3 Sport 1 now.
backhandsmash is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #1135
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure an offensive game plan is going to be the way to go vs Sharapova. She's just not going to get the ball she got from Kerber, Kerber's general rally ball is a lot shorter higher bouncing than Sharapova who barely even has a "rally ball", it's just going to be deep flat strokes, those are pretty hard to initiate offensive play from. The only player who really uses a front foot offensive game plan to any real success vs Sharapova is Serena. I can't see constantly approaching the net vs Sharapova working to any real success. Caro is going to have to counterpunch to succeed, use the fact you have superior movement to try and move the ball into deep awkward positions for Maria, you have to force her into taking the ball on from deep low percentage positions, or into defence where Sharapova can obviously be exposed.

Caro's length on her shots will be paramount, if she keeps a good length she has a chance to win, if she doesn't she is in big trouble.
ozza is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 02:39 PM   #1136
country flag neverforget

neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all neverforget is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
I am not sure an offensive game plan is going to be the way to go vs Sharapova. She's just not going to get the ball she got from Kerber, Kerber's general rally ball is a lot shorter higher bouncing than Sharapova who barely even has a "rally ball", it's just going to be deep flat strokes, those are pretty hard to initiate offensive play from. The only player who really uses a front foot offensive game plan to any real success vs Sharapova is Serena. I can't see constantly approaching the net vs Sharapova working to any real success. Caro is going to have to counterpunch to succeed, use the fact you have superior movement to try and move the ball into deep awkward positions for Maria, you have to force her into taking the ball on from deep low percentage positions, or into defence where Sharapova can obviously be exposed.

Caro's length on her shots will be paramount, if she keeps a good length she has a chance to win, if she doesn't she is in big trouble.
Agree. Length is a big key.
neverforget is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #1137
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Last year Sharapova was up 2 breaks in all 3 sets. Maria will be looking to attack every serve she can.
Caroline needs a good serving day. She has to start stronger than the SF.
Cant come out making a lot of unforced errors.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 05:04 PM   #1138
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with those who posted that serving would be what the match hinged on most for Caro.There are several potential levels of quality in between,but an awful service will leave Caro constantly vulnerable and playing from behind,while an excellent service will exploit her opponent's mediocre lateral movement and give Caroline a nice edge

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Our Slam: Islas Marias Prison Island Open--Benito Juarez Open(red clay)--Mazatlan Open(LOTS of Mexican 'grass' AND 'sugar')--the Mexico City Open(VERY poorly attended b/c almost NO ONE can get thru the traffic)
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 10:00 PM   #1139
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
In theory moonballing should be an effective tactic against Errani given her height but I'm not familiar enough with her matches to know if it actually works.

Caro's previous high winner total for this year was 26 in 3 sets against Bartoli. Caro hit 33 winners in 3 sets against Arvidsson in Moscow, 29 winners in 3 sets against Cibulkova in Moscow, and 25 winners in 2 sets against Ula in Moscow.
That's interesting. I wonder if that was just a one-off or if it is possible that Caroline can consistently hit more winners without spraying many more errors which increase her chances of losing? I realise that some people believe that getting back to the game she had at her peak is the best option but if she do that while at the same time improving her offence she could be even better than she was. The worry that I have is that she doesn't have an unlimited amount of time to get her game together.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #1140
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

I thought she was being outplayed 26 02. Kerber hit some great winners. Maybe she just isnt good enough to beat YEC players anymore, unless they have a really off day.
They when she came back to 3-3 and 2nd set was close, I was wondering if she would fight it out better than against Aga & Petra a few weeks ago.
And she did fight it out. I thought the effort level was great and the tennis level is very high.
Now I'm convinced she can get back in that top 3, make it a big 4.
If she can keep this level of effort and tennis.
This match will be hard, but if she is one of the best, she should be able to compete with another one of the best.

A lot to like in this whole week, and 3 IW finals in 4 years is tremendous
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread