Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6 - Page 64 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2013, 10:12 AM   #946
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Cornet, eh?

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 8th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #947
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Caroline says she's hungry again. This is her best big event, she won something like 15 of 16 matches before her loss to Ivanovic last year.
If she is going to get back into the mix near the top, and she needs to be motivated and focused, it should be now
This is her 7th tournament with only 1 SF appearance, easily her worst start to a year in several years
Both Caroline & Rory starting the year slowly. They spent a lot of time together in the offseason, and neither seemed ready to compete at a high level so far
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 12:09 PM   #948
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
Cornet, eh?
Oh, one of those legendary moments Hopefully she'll switches her phone off this time.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #949
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

It was a suitor who called to tell her,'Let's go have dinner together when Caroline finishes kicking your ass.'

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

W(PE)TA: Women's Pathetic Enabler Tennis Association

LOOK! It's CLEAR; Carousel is a LIE! You don't HAVE to die! You can LIVE; LIVE and GROW OLD!
bruce goose is online now View My Blog!  
Old Mar 9th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #950
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Am leaving for work and then,afterwards,my gf's,but will be cheering on Caroline vicariously thru all of you.VAMOS,CAROLINA!!!

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

LOOK! It's CLEAR; Carousel is a LIE! You don't HAVE to die! You can LIVE; LIVE and GROW OLD!
Old Mar 9th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #951
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
Why would she think so? Because she was beating those players in the past when they were doing well. They were all in top 10 and winning tournaments so the claim about them slumping is a myth. They were not as consistent as now however they weren't in a slump at all. Right now she is not beating them because she is not the same self-assured player as she was in 2011.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Ummmm....No,she wasn't beating those top players.The FACTS are ZERO wins vs. Venus,Henin and Clijsters,and only one vs.Serena.
I took marineblue to be referring to the players who are at the top now and Caro was beating those players when she had that great 12 months mid 2010 to mid 2011. She was beating Vika, Pova, Aga and Petra - top players now. All of them apart from Serena but she never lost to Serena in that period either. They didn't play each other. Now I know the players she was beating have improved - but by the same token Caro is not as good as she was then either.

I thought marineblue was referring to winning against the top players now - not the big four of the last decade who she hardly played at all. I always found that argument that her problem was she couldn't beat the big four of the last decade a bit dishonest. In fact - until you get to a lot of matches such as Kim vs Justine when they were both at their best - I'm not one for making much of their whole career being about one or two H2Hs anyway.

Anyway - although I didn't get that these were the players being compared - let's just look at her matches against the big four during those 12 months:
  1. Serena - played no matches against her in those 12 months. Of course Serena is a much better player than Caro and I don't think Caro would have had much chance. But Serena is Serena - the best by a long way this decade and it's all woulda coulda stuff anyway when they didn't play.
  2. Justine - 1 match she lost in 3 sets. As I said - I don't judge a player based on a single match in 12 months and conclude anything from that.
  3. Venus: This is the most dishonest argument of all when people trying to make a point put forward Venus as an example Caro has never beaten. They last played when Caro was barely a junior ranked what - in the hundreds! And someone makes a point that she's supposed to win then or she's no good. It would have been a huge massive shock when no-one really even knew about Caro much.
  4. Kim: And this is where I think it actually does mean something. It was Caro, Kim and Vera winning everything - mostly Caro and Kim. But Kim won the very biggest tournaments. Caro did play Kim and Kim always beat Caro. I think it was fair to say that Kim was a good yardstick at that time that Caro did need to improve.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters

Last edited by terjw : Mar 9th, 2013 at 06:11 PM.
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 9th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #952
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Not a bad draw for Caro. It'd be pretty dissapointing to say the least if she didn't make it to at least the 4th round.

Good luck Caro.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is online now View My Blog!  
Old Mar 9th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #953
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Its possible Caro just cant focus like she used to. This & Miami should tell a lot.
It will be 8 hardcourt tournaments before clay. Clay has always been tough for Caro, same with grass. So these few weeks are big

Old Mar 10th, 2013, 03:52 AM   #954
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
I took marineblue to be referring to the players who are at the top now and Caro was beating those players when she had that great 12 months mid 2010 to mid 2011. She was beating Vika, Pova, Aga and Petra - top players now. All of them apart from Serena but she never lost to Serena in that period either. They didn't play each other. Now I know the players she was beating have improved - but by the same token Caro is not as good as she was then either.

I thought marineblue was referring to winning against the top players now - not the big four of the last decade who she hardly played at all. I always found that argument that her problem was she couldn't beat the big four of the last decade a bit dishonest. In fact - until you get to a lot of matches such as Kim vs Justine when they were both at their best - I'm not one for making much of their whole career being about one or two H2Hs anyway.

Anyway - although I didn't get that these were the players being compared - let's just look at her matches against the big four during those 12 months:
  1. Serena - played no matches against her in those 12 months. Of course Serena is a much better player than Caro and I don't think Caro would have had much chance. But Serena is Serena - the best by a long way this decade and it's all woulda coulda stuff anyway when they didn't play.
  2. Justine - 1 match she lost in 3 sets. As I said - I don't judge a player based on a single match in 12 months and conclude anything from that.
  3. Venus: This is the most dishonest argument of all when people trying to make a point put forward Venus as an example Caro has never beaten. They last played when Caro was barely a junior ranked what - in the hundreds! And someone makes a point that she's supposed to win then or she's no good. It would have been a huge massive shock when no-one really even knew about Caro much.
  4. Kim: And this is where I think it actually does mean something. It was Caro, Kim and Vera winning everything - mostly Caro and Kim. But Kim won the very biggest tournaments. Caro did play Kim and Kim always beat Caro. I think it was fair to say that Kim was a good yardstick at that time that Caro did need to improve.
Can't catch a good livestream of Caro's match...and would like to respond to your strong forensic arguments.You are correct when you point out that Caro didn't have a fair chance to play a few of the legends,thus denying us the chance to evaluate a meaningful H2H record.I'll also agree with you that Marineblue was probably only referring to Vika,Aga,Petra and NOT the legends.

However,when we talk about beating TOP players,why not use the best barometer for 'Top' and,even though Caroline didn't get many opportunities at it,she doesn't have victories over the elite that would argue in favor of her current potential.I don't believe that the two wins over Sharapova say a whole lot cuz,IMO,Masha was still trying to find her old level on her way back from the shoulder injury.She may not have been 'slumping',per se,yet she certainly wasn't scaring anyone back when Caro beat her.To ME,the win over Serena was the most impressive,but the irony is that Caro won by employing more aggression in her serving and shot-making...the very style change that so many fans here despise.

I go back to the 2009 USO when Serena was roaring thru the draw,absolutely destroying anyone in her path...and Kim just SHUT HER ASS DOWN in the semis.It was close on the scoreboard,yet Kim clearly outplayed her on the key points...and THAT'S what great players do.They beat OTHER top players even when those opponents are on top of their games.Can you think of any similar wins that Caroline has on her resume'(?)--because I can't recall any.I used an extreme example of beating Venus when she was a 14-year-old WC cuz I don't feel that those previous wins vs. Vika,Aga and Petra count for much right now...and,if you asked an objective,NON-Caro-hater if the stabler Caro would've beaten those 3 improved players where they are NOW,the best you'd get would be a 'maybe'...and only IF she were in peak form that day.

I look back and Caroline didn't even really threaten Kim except for one match where she was up a break in the 3rd at YEC.As you know,though,that's a very slim lead vs. an elite player,and Kim quickly broke back early in the set to get even...so it's not as if she was in real danger.What's most damning are the big losses to Zvonareva;I actually like Vera but she's practically a dream opponent for a Slam SF.It's bad enough just to lose to her on the big stage,but getting outclassed by her is sort of inexcusable...especially when you've beaten her handily before.In contrast,the "Improved Three" DO have wins over the elite either at Slams or at high-level Premiers...and several close losses besides.

Anyway,that's enough negativity from me for now;I opened another window to verify that Caroline had won and,of course,she has done so...so let's see how well she can build from that as we look towards a hopefully-brighter future

Old Mar 10th, 2013, 05:20 AM   #955
country flag bruce goose

Next up is Vesnina,a player whom Caroline has found a way to beat so often in the past.Even though the former won her 1st-ever title this year,a loss would still be a big disappointment for Caro,wouldn't it?....Let's NOT find out,though

Old Mar 10th, 2013, 09:03 AM   #956
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

I see Caroline needed 3 sets to dispose of Cornet .. Happy I went to bed, after the Simon match. They had turned off the cameras anyway.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 10th, 2013, 10:06 AM   #957
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, I thought the poor result in Kuala Lumpur was just a one-off. Now I'm not so sure. It really appeared that she was making progress at Doha and Dubai. Were those just flukes? She had better pull herself together in a hurry, these next two tournaments could be very important to her season.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 10th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #958
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
Hmm, I thought the poor result in Kuala Lumpur was just a one-off. Now I'm not so sure. It really appeared that she was making progress at Doha and Dubai. Were those just flukes? She had better pull herself together in a hurry, these next two tournaments could be very important to her season.
And that's been my biggest concern. Not that she didn't beat Petra or Aga then. But whether she can maintain the improvement she had made. I'm really worried that her serve seems so fragile or if it's not the actual serve itself then something about winning a game when she's serving.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 10th, 2013, 11:07 AM   #959
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
And that's been my biggest concern. Not that she didn't beat Petra or Aga then. But whether she can maintain the improvement she had made. I'm really worried that her serve seems so fragile or if it's not the actual serve itself then something about winning a game when she's serving.
I dont think she improved. A year ago she made the semis in Miami, lost 46 in the 3rd to Sharapova, then Copenhagen final, before a disasterous clay season. I think she was better at the end of 2012 than Doha/Dubai 2013.
I think this is Caroline over the last 20 months. Can have a good week if the draw breaks right but doesnt have the confidence, focus, accuracy that she used to have.

I was watching Vika-Dani, and Vika started slowly, Dani was up 4-1 (remember how easily she beat Caro at FO 2011), then Dani played some key points poorly and fell apart.
Its not that Dani cant play anymore. Same with Ivanovic and Caroline. They just cant do it all match, all week, anymore. And they know it, and so when they miss an easy shot on a big point, it hurts their focus, and they dont shake it off the way they used to, the way Vika does now. Vika hit a lot of poor shots the 1st 5 games, but didnt lose focus or confidence. She just kept competing. Thats a big part of whats missing, imo.
Caroline has to focus and compete. Not make crazy errors on key points. But even if she does, she has to keep fighting like always. Its mental for all of them

Old Mar 10th, 2013, 11:19 AM   #960
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Caro was broken no less than 7 times, right? That should constitute fragile serve

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread